Raleigh, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Raleigh Camping Reviews
Amazing

Had a great 2 nights here ! Can’t wait to come back!

So quiet and relaxing

Falls Lake State Recreation Area is huge, with seven access areas (4 of which offer camping).  We stayed at Holly Point, which offers both tent and RV camping on large, wooded lots.  Our campsite, 57, backed up to a finger of Falls Lake for fishing.  It was just a short walk to a clean swimming beach.  Best of all, it was a great place for the kids to explore!

Sites had their own trash cans.  A nice grocery store, some gas stations, and some restaurants were just a short drive out of the park.  We'd love to return.

Near beach, double sites

Loved having a double site with my parents. Close to the beach where we sat for hours. Clean bathrooms. Spacious sites. Plenty of privacy.

Clean, quiet

One of our go-tos since it’s close to home. Love access to the water. Sites are big and most have plenty of woods between them to block neighbors. Amazing how it can be so quiet with so many people around. Love!!

Cool place to explore

We had a great weekend camping here with our cub scouts in the Shinleaf group camping area. We had about 40 people and had plenty of room to spread out over three camping sites, Osprey Nest, Blue Heron and Bootleg point. The bathrooms were within easy walking distance. Lots of shade to put tents up under. Plenty of picnic tables and fire rings. The Park Rangers came by a few times and we bought some firewood from them. They were very friendly and helpful.

The area is cool to explore, there are several points on the lake you can easily hike to. There are boaters who use the lake mostly during day, even a few at 6:30am!

We even found a cool Northern watersnake eating a fish on the shoreline.

Overnight stay was nice

We stayed here on our way to the beach and on the way home to SC. The campground is huge and the sites are big and separated by lots of trees. We had a site on the lake with water and power only, there aren't any full hookups to my knowledge but there are well maintained dump stations and trash cans everywhere. It was a great campground for an overnight visit would like to spend more time at a later date.

Beauty, peace, and quiet

I spent a night at the primitive campsite right before new years and enjoyed it immensely. It was forecasted to be rainy and had been raining for a couple of days prior. The park was absolutely gorgeous and secluded feeling (probably thanks to the rain!) The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and provided plenty of info. The campsite had a bench and firepit. The site itself was off the trail a bit allowing it to be more secluded feeling. Overall, I loved it and will be going back. I hope to take a fishing rod with me next time as I have heard decent things about fishing there.

Lake Mickie Camping

This is a very secluded campground close to Lake Mickie, Who has kayak rental Friday through Monday, March until November. This campsite is way off the main road, and I suggest a truck, not sure the average car would make it. It is very basic but seem to be very clean

Northern Durham

A nice clean little campground close to Lake Mickie, who rent kayaks, Friday through Monday from March until November. There’s nothing fancy about this little secluded spot but they do have some playground equipment a little work out track and hiking trails. Also a picnic shelter.

Good Campground for RVing but not so much for Tent Camping

This campground is one of the two listed at Falls Lake State Recreation Area, and I chose it because of its good reviews. The“primitive” area is Loop C, which means it does not have water or electricity at the sites. However, the sites do have picnic tables and lantern hangers. There are no designated tent pads, but you are instructed to set your tent up on the gravel. Unfortunately, the campground has flooding problems in the Loop C sites when it rains, and it started raining after I set up my tent. After thirty minutes of rain, my tent was standing in at least an inch of water, and there was nowhere else to move it. I ended up abandoning my tent to stay in the back of my SUV. The next morning, I looked at the other sites in Loop C, and they were also flat, which meant that it didn’t matter which site I chose. That is one of only two drawbacks that I saw in this campground. The other drawback was the nose from jets overhead from the RDU International Airport. It wasn’t noticeable at night(that may have been because of the pouring rain and the thunder), but during the morning, it was constant. My advice is not to stay in Loop C if it is going to rain. A raised tent pad would have prevented my tent from being flooded. The bath house is especially nice for a state park(state recreation area). The shower doors are a little narrow, except for the handicapped shower, but there is hot water. There are electrical outlets in the bath house as well, which I used to charge my cell phone. Other features about this campground include swimming beaches, a marina, canoe/kayak rentals, at least two fishing piers, a couple of playgrounds, and a store. The Mountains to Sea Trail passes through this park, and there are several other short trails as well. Overall, this campground is pretty good if you are in an RV or if you are in a tent and it is not going to rain.

Very rustic dispersed camping

You have a fire ring and a line to hang things from thats about it here, really nice place to camp if youre comfortable not having a toilet. Saw one other person here come in with a 30 foot trailer, didnt think he would fit but found a spot just fine. And the best part is its FREE CAMPING!!

Small

Small campgrounds with a couple sites, nice cheap camping. Stayed here one night while on the road to Jamestown from Asheville worked for me!

Primitive Canpinf site #65

Drive-in site long enough to accommodate a long camper. Non-electric site. It’s a fairly flat site and is about 100 feet from water’s edge and is directly across from a boat launch on the other side of the campsite’s shore line. This part of the lake is a finger branch cove, so it’s not directly on the main lake, which makes swimming nice. There is a small sandy beach front for chairs and observation.

We loved the educational experiences at this park. Very knowledgeable and clean.

Fun and educational

So much fun to camp here. They had a controlled burn of the Holly Hill Loop In February. It was really neat and educational to see the charred bottoms of the trees. The lake is beautiful and great for kids. We will be going back!

LAZY RIVER

The trails are nice and short, not too much room for extra exploration. Best advice is there are some big rocks in the river at various locations that you can lay on and take a nap. Super comfy and the water is also pretty shallow. Great place to get wet. Never camped here before, only day trips.

Hike-in primitive camping

Not crowded, nice selection of trails, plenty of fishing on the Cape Fear, woodland creatures abound.

Awesome trails

Haven't camped here but the trails are long and from easy to moderate. A bit packed on the weekends but if you go early it's easy to get parking

Great family site for lake-side camping

We stayed in sites 20 and 21 and they are are sloped, which makes tent placement a bit tricky but doable. Each of these two sites have rocky shore lines, which makes paddle-up camping a bit challenging but again, it’s doable. Sites 18 and 19 have beach fronts that are sandy and a bit more secluded from the main lake. There are common area spigots with fresh water and several lined trash cans shared between sites. There is room at each site to park at least two cars if not 3 and there are fire rings and composite picnic tables too. Sites are fairly close to one another so you’ll be about 25 yards from your neighbors in most sites. We reserved two sites to have a buffer…$23 a nite it’s worth the extra space.

We paddled into this site from Nutbush recreation area, and it was just about 4 miles one way. Nice little kayak camping trip.

It’s mostly families camping and was fairly quiet after about 11pm.

I would do it again but I think a bit of a flatter site would be better. There is also a boat marina about 1.8 miles south of this camp site in the event you bring gas powered watercrafts and need to fill up.
The photos from the lake’s shore were taken from site #20 with a shot looking left and one looking right.

Fantastic underused sites

Fantastic sites with community showers and toilets in loop c where we stayed poop a and b have electric and water at each site. Lots of easy hiking trails , fishing piers , playgrounds , picnic areas and swimming beaches . You can also get to the water with a quick stroll through the woods.

Great Place

Family friendly, swimming, fishing, close to stores if needed, very clean and well maintained.

Nice

Stayed here a few times for over nighters. Nice big sites nice pool area friendly people

So Much Adventure

The camp site was great. I had a pull thru site that provided more than enough space. Two cars and a camper could easily park in the drive, while a pop-up shelter and a tent also had plenty of space to not feel overly crowded. The swim beach was a half mile hike away through the mountain to sea trail. I opted out of swimming on July 4th due to crowding, but the next day was perfect. Soft sand covered the beach and warm yet comfortable water temperatures allowed for a refreshing dip or just relaxing on a float. The fishing piers were great too. The public access one had a bit of wear, but that didn’t stop a variety of fish from biting. We also watched graceful herons and playful aquatic turtles hunting for there dinner as we fished. The marina looked fabulous, but due to pop up storms we didn’t get to launch our kayaks. The bath houses were reasonably clean for a holiday weekend. Park rangers regularly monitors the site, so we felt very safe. I would recommend this location to anyone who loves adventure.

Its the small things that count

The trees in the area make the area just cooler camped outside not an issue cool in the day chilly at night, trash was taken care of twice a day, bath area were taken care of i like that there were showers and bath rooms were in the same area but were separate being on different sides, staff was nice let us go through find a site and stay, a little pricey but it was a electric site and its a park service camp ground will stay again

Mud hole, the site we had was under water after a light rain and didn’t dry

There is a lot of workers staying here and they are right next door to us

Things go missing

Decent

Stayed the weekend of the airshow, quiet and accessible to the BX/Commissary but CAC ID required for campground and other base amenities. We also enjoy the gym and bowling alley, planning to come back to see movies at the base theatre. All are of these are pretty close to the campground. Improvements I recommend: -Allow patrons to make reservations, first come first serve has deterred us in the past and likely others.

• the campground would benefit to have a playground
  • some of the cleaning/maintenance seemed to be neglected, our sewer drain had an issue and it did not seem to be a new problem.

The price is good though, with that in mind I'd say that it's a decent/average military campground.

Very Nice

Very well kept! Just stayed the night.

Lake access and large spots

Wide spots are easy to get in and out of even with more than one vehicle. Some spots are doubles so camping with friends is very easy. The hiking trail to the boat launch is the the shade but lots of bugs! Nice swim areas. We arrived mid week and it was not crowded, the weekend filed the campground but everyone was pleasant. I would highly recommend and will be coming back!

Great Place

Very nice and quiet campground. Many beautiful trails and great views of the lake.