Croatan National Forest, NORTH CAROLINA

Camping North Carolina Croatan National Forest
Most Recent Croatan National Forest Camping Reviews
Forest Service Campground

One thing I disliked was road noise, other than that nice place.

Nice but small sites

This campground is clean and in a good location to the main road but the sites are very small. We could not use our awning due to being so close to the camper next to us. If you have a small camper you should be ok but larger ones with slideouts may have problems.

Awesome campground

We stayed here earlier in the year. This campground is very clean and has great amenities. Clean bathhouse and laundry room. It also has a jump pad and playground for kids.

Needs Improvement when raining

Its beautiful camping site, however, it floods with even a little rain. There needs a ditch around the road to keep the runoff from flooding the whole place

Small Campground with a Friendly Atmosphere Adjacent to Lots of Things to D

This small campground is conveniently located close to the casino in Cherokee, the town of Cherokee, and along Soco Creek. It is within the Qualla boundary of the Cherokee Reservation. This is the second time I have stayed at this campground, and it has changed a little since the first time. There are more cabins and RV sites than I remember from my first visit. It is still a quiet and peaceful little campground. If you enjoy trout fishing, this is an ideal place for it. The creek is stocked on a regular basis. The host was nice and very helpful. There is a store where you can get basic camping supplies. Some of the tent sites have raised gravel pads, and some are just gravel. Large groups, such as Scouts or church groups, have the option of staying in their bunkhouses. It appeared to me that all of the sites have water and electricity, if I am not mistaken. For RVs, there is a mixture of back-in and pull-through sites. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of privacy since the sites are relatively close, but you get a sense of community here. I spoke to an elderly couple who were very friendly. At night, the creek pretty much drowns out the sounds from the road. Because of the location of this campground, you will find lots of things to do. If you are not into casinos, there is the whole Cherokee Indian culture to explore with the museum, the outdoor drama(during the summer), the Oconaluftee Indian Village, and more. Thousands of people come to Cherokee every year to see the elk, which most times can be found close to the Oconaluftee Visitors Center. There is also the Mountain Farm Museum and Mingus Mill. There is just so much to see and do close to this campground. Overall, this is a great little campground, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Lakeside retreat

Was there for 2 nights lakeside, no power or water. There is a few water stations located throughout. Bathrooms and showers were clean. Great views! Groceries in Hiawassee just a quick drive away. Was 10/night with National park pass

Bathing optional???

This campground could be amazing, IF they had more than 2 showers! There are only 2 bathhouses in the campground, with only one shower in each women’s and one in each men’s room. Also, there’s only two toilets in each women’s room. This is a real problem when the campground is full, plus a two night minimum was required when I stayed. So if you are not in an rv with a restroom/shower, keep in mind the bathhouse situation.

The campground is right on the lake, and it is beautiful! I stayed in tent site #62, it is the first site when you enter the campground only area. I was in a rooftop tent, so wasn’t able to park on the tent pad, but was able to make it work. The first sites are pretty close together, with not much privacy from your neighbors. There were other sites farther down that looked more spacious. We did not have electricity r water hookups, but there was a water spout nearby. The tent pad was pretty small, and was taken up by a giant concrete picnic table that was too small for an adult to sit at. You would need a small done tent for this one. The site text to us had a couple of some tents and put in on the pad and one on a flat spot in the grass and it worked for them.

The rv sites with hookups are all higher on the hill, but I believe they pretty much all had like views. The sites weren’t as spacious as I would like.

The campground has a swimming area, playground, boat launch, paved walking trails, very popular area for bike riding (if you like hills), fishing, basketball courts, picnic pavilion, etc.

There’s a camp store with essentials, including ice and firewood. The lady working in there was exceptionally nice and friendly!

The campground is conveniently located just a couple miles from the exit, and very close to West Knoxville. I really would love to see some updates on this potential gem!

Taken Back at first, but....

I was a little taken back when we first arrived at this campground because of how many people lived here long-term. There were clearly people who had been here for a very long time, even having pole barns put up over there rigs. I was slightly turned off by it because it felt like we were pulling in to a trailer park to camp (nothing wrong with trailer parks at all, just didn’t want to camp at one). We were only there for one night, but my views of the place quickly changed. Everyone here was so friendly and nice, and there is really good community here. The ground are decently taken care of aside from the long-term residents. The pool seems to be clean and the playground was fun for the little ones.

This campground is easy access from I-75.

Jane and Bud offer a simple yet nice place to rest

Nice place with 10 50 amp pull through sites and a few back in 30 amp used by monthly renters that make you feel welcome.

Nice Campground

This is a nice Campground but most all sites are close together and on a hillside. Sites were mostly level requiring very little adjustment of RV. Pool was very nice as well as playground. We felt as if the the sites were not equal to what you paid for them (priced a little high) as compared to other campgrounds in the area. Probably will not return.

Nice Campground

Nice campground with plenty of sites, most with full hookups. Plenty of 50amp options. The campground does have a section of full time sites and some of those are beginning to look a little shabby, however they all are in an area together. Clean Bathhouses, 2 nice pools and a lazy river along with a playground. Campground is along a Creek so there should be fishing available. We have stayed here several times over the years and will do so again.

Great Group Camp

This group camp was perfect for our needs big enough for the family and friends to join us. They have a trolley that comes and will take you to Gatlinburg if you want to go that way.There plenty of trails and sites to see within a short distance. The Little River runs down through the middle of it and is perfect if you want to fly fish or if you just want to go get your feet wet and get a little cool. Very picturesque!!

Family Friendly Camping

This is a campground that definitely caters to families. Lots to do for the kids. Pool, waterslide, playground, fishing pond and other activities seasonally. Nice camp sites with full hookups available. My only complaint is the small amount of 50amp hookups. We have moved up in RV size from a pop up and find it hard to get a site for our new unit. Other than that, we highly recommend this resort.

14a

Amazing site and campground.

Beautiful place

Absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the cabins. Cabin #1. We attended the Hammer-In in the fall of 2019. That event itself was awesome. Campgrounds were very clean. Cabin was good, clean and comfortable. A little close to the neighbors is my only unliked thing about the whole place. I’m an isolation type of person though so…. fuck it. It was still AWESOME! I’ll be back in the spring! Oh also dogs are only allowed in one of their cabins. Kind of bummed about that but I understand. Another downer but won’t stop me from going back.

Very Nice place to Visit

The views are great here , there is a trail that is over the  tunnel that is pretty neat. You can stand on three states( Virginia , Tennessee and Kentucky) in two spots in the park . The trails here are decent to hike on. The only problem is the upkeep at times.  The park has a  cave that was closed we could not see it on the side we were on. It was only until we exit the cave when the sign was visible.

Great riverside camping!

We camped here after kayaking the Taccoa River from Deep Hole Campground. You can also access these sites from a parking area about a half mile from the river. There is a lot of people walking down from the parking area during the day but the campsites are still fairly private. On the other side of the swing bridge is Rock Creek Lake dispersed camping area that can be accessed from Hatchery Road off Hwy 60.

Great MTB Trails

Great location right on Trail system. Hot showers, clean toilets.

Cataloochee Campground

This was a nice campground. A creek ran along one side and a small stream on the other side. The camp sites were nice and consisted of a fire pit, pic-nic table, and raised bed for your tent. There was only one bathroom but the campground was small enough that it wasn’t too far of a walk. The bathrooms had a sink in the middle for washing dishes. The campground included a water pump as well. The campground was an extremely short walk to a trail head and less than a 2 minute drive from where you could see elk and Turkey from your car. The only negatives were you were next to a road, and while you couldn’t see the cars, you could hear them but there was very little traffic, and you were at least 20 minutes from any store in case you needed ice, or something of that nature.

Extremely nice!

We will visit here again. The staff is friendly, attentive and informative The sites are spacious and well maintained. Every site has flowers planted in adorable planters making it very homey. While not a large campground there is plenty to do nearby. Highly recommend this campground

Beautiful!

When visiting Gatlinburg and camping this is a great spot! Close to town and you can take the trolley in if you like. Cool down in the river or go for a scenic drive.

This is how "luxury" is done

I was googling places to go on our RV trip and stumbled upon Anchor Down on the old Google. As I looked around, I struggled to find a legitimate bad review. The pictures all looked great, so we decided to book. We secured site 53 for two nights (it was all that was available).

Before arrival, I had called to change our site when I found our site open. The lady on the phone was super nice, and informative about the seasonal activities. The initial taste was good.

When we arrived, we were met by a greeter, who took down our plate number and sent us in to check in. The whole process took just a few minutes, and we were on our way. The view does not really come into play until you come up over the hill after registration. Even with the water level down, Douglas Lake is a site to see. We wound around and EASILY backed into our site. The sites are all pretty large (way bigger than our 30' rental), paved and flat. The hookups are right where they should be, and they even include cable and wifi. We did not use either, but it is a great added value for the price. The view alone was worth a million dollars. The fireplace was another.

We ordered several buckets of wood ($5 cash or $7.50 card…it is an outside vendor they buy from). They deliver it to your site within minutes in a bucket, and each bucket is more than a typical bundle. We also rented a golf cart for $35 a day. we found this to be essential to just get around for our family.

The pool was great, and the waterslide was perfect for the kids. Later in the week and weekends, they have a food truck outside the pool area. We got some ice cream and enjoyed the great view. The resort has a playground, laundry, showers etc. The bath and shower houses are immaculate. The entire place is run with pride and a sense of service. We will come back in a heartbeat.

While we loved our site, even if you are stuck with the very last site…take it. There is really no bad site in this place.

Great stay in Gatlinburg

Friendly staff and quiet camp. Laundry facilities are expensive at $4 to wash and $1.50/ 20 minutes drying. The camp is a little tight so if anyone is towing a vehicle and they haven't unhooked or pulled away from their site then the road is blocked but the camp is a loop so you can always go the other way since there isn't a direction specified.

Decent site

No sewer hook-ups and alcohol is not allowed on the grounds. Supposed to have a 14 day maximum stay but walking around you can tell there are plenty of long-term parkers. The road in is rough with potholes and the transition from blacktop to cement at the gate is a huge jarring transition. Probably a 3 inch difference. Not exactly what I want to hit on the way to my site.

Awesome Campground on the Hiwassee River

This is a quaint little campground right on the Hiwassee River. A number of the sites are less than 15 yards from the river through some thickets. Each site has a cut out with access to the river. My favorite part of this campground is the ability to hear the river from pretty much anywhere in the campground. If you are looking for activities this Campground/Park is awesome for hiking, horseback riding, kayaking/tubing, fishing or just flat out relaxing to the sounds of the Hiwassee River. The restrooms are clean and sites fairly spacious. There is an awesome playground for those wanting to bring their children and the campground overall is extremely family friendly.

In the hills

I visited Moonshine Creek Campground with a group of friends. There had been mudslides over the winter so there were renovations going on. The sites are close together BUT so skillfully incorporated into the architecture that you really don’t notice. Cute cabins to rent and secluded tent sites, all with a stream running through the middle of the campground. My site was right next to the stream and little covered bridge. It sounded like it was always raining. We used the pavilion for get togethers, it has a nice kitchen area with a grill. Right outside the pavilion is a pit campfire for groups. There are cabins and sites up along the hillside which have a view and a little more privacy. Town is close by and window shopping is a must. There are several hiking opportunities in the area.

Nice Campground in Cherokee

Nice and quiet campground. They have security that rides through frequently. It is family friendly, has laundromat and a game room. Very clean campground, friendly staff, and has several spaces right on the creek. The spaces have large gravel which is better suited for rv’s and campers than a tent.

Lovely Campground

This campground is a hidden gem in the Pigeon Forge area. It is close enough to town for convenience, but far enough away that you are not bothered by the hustle and bustle of the Parkway. The campsites are spacious and clean. The RV parking pads are level and gravel, and the cement patio provides a nice place to relax outside. The Pigeon Forge public trolley stops every hour, offering the convenience of visiting town without having to find a place to park! Highly recommended.

Cooper Creek

This campground was great! It was very clean and well maintained. Although the dirt road that led to the campground was a bit sketchy if you're not use to mountain driving, it is very well maintained as well. The fishing was great too. This was my first time trout fishing in North Georgia but I was able to catch plenty of trout. I highly recommend this campground for those looking for some seclusion.