The best GROUP camping near
Powellsville , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Powellsville Camping Reviews
Wouldn't Come Back

Wet wood. Really wet. Most sites were kind of crap. Either wide open with mushy pull- ins or un-even. There were a few that were great. #3 #1 and #6 were our favs. Was not communicated that you would need exact change for wood since the facilities were closed and there is no camp host. You have to drive 20 mins to any gas station or grocery in order to do that so letting campers know would be great.

The trails were super easy, wide and flat. PERFECT for young families or those looking for a stroll rather than a hike. The lake was beautiful. We make a point of just checking trail lengths and camp sites before we come out (pictures can be deceiving on the latter lol) so we had no idea we were going to be staying at a park named after a confederate general. Felt gross about that. None of the buildings at the plantation were open while we were there so I don't know if the education was as super glossy as the outside plaques….. his grave even had a confederate flag placed on it. Like, really???? If you walk out to the graveyard there is only one small paragragh that will make you smile and feel a little bit better about where you are. Brought our 12 year old so it opened up some really great conversations that we could lead but it would have been nice to have a bit of the uglier history actually mentioned in any of the plaques!

Wouldn't come back, but the area it self was really pretty and the trails were super easy. 4.5 miles felt like nothing to complete!

Very quiet spot in the woods

Very helpful and friendly owners that live just off the camp grounds if you need anything. I stayed in a spot nestled in the woods. Very quiet. Good spot for a night or two

Don’t consider going if your going to use a trolling motor

After seeing some of the pictures I decided to call them ask how bad all the algae and overgrowth was and was told it was pretty clear. That was not the case, if you don’t plan on paddling with a kayak or maybe a canoe don’t risk it. I was going to take a Jon boat with a trolling motor and there are countless limbs and the overgrowth is terrible you will not make it through. Not the place to consider going if you want to camp out and fish

Great family campground

I have camped here many times throughout my childhood and adulthood. Miles of trails and so much to do. Always with clean sites and attentive staff

Inconsistent to website

So this was my first campground sadly and the experience was not what I hoped for. The Cheseapeake campgrounds website shows outdated pictures and does not show what the campground looks like currently.

The rules on the website are not followed. They're are campers that have hard piped black/gray water some that folks are living in are severally ran down. The website shows you can make reservations but they often don't seem like they are keeping a good track on people comings and goings.

Customer service depends on who your talking with some treat you very well and the older lady at the counter has 0 customer service skills. She is short rude and not interested in helping you.

The place is quite and pet friendly the 2 washers and dryers work well and are at a good price. The people at the campground seem nice and friendly.

If you can't handle huge large bugs that eat you alive stay away.

The country living and prices are the only reason I have 2 stars

Better the second time

We camped here in the winter a few years ago and finally got back out there this last weekend. We brought a kayak and fishing gear this time and stayed 3 days.

The water is amazing! The deepest part of the lake is 9’ so you are able to walk around most of the lake. My kids loved this. The lake is the second largest in NC, so we spent about 6 hours just swimming, fishing and kayaking within eyesight of the dock. If you want to explore more, you need a boat.

I caught 7 large mouth bass and saw a lot of perch. 2 of them were keepers so I want to come back out again just to fish.

The campsite was pretty empty probably because of the heat, but site number 3 was large and had plenty of shade the whole day. The bath house was decent. Very clean and warm showers. The have a sink outside to wash dishes. Fires were allowed and the have cheap firewood on site. The office isn’t far and I had the kids take a wagon to grab ice twice.

Columbia is the closest town that has groceries or anything to eat. There is a back route to the campground from there along the refuge called Newlands Road. We traveled through there on the way back from a grocery run and saw a lot of wildlife including a baby black bear.

There are lots of trails and a boardwalk that is fun. Bring bikes and boats for the real experience. Also, bring bug spray. We had some citronella and mosquito coils but we still had to spray some off.

One of the cleanest pools I have ever laid eyes on.

Tent sites with electrical hook ups right beside the river. There is a fish cleaning sink and a pier to fish from also. Small cabins are for rent here as well. This facility has one of the cleanest pools I have ever been in. Very well kept bathroom facilities with a laundromat as well. Very friendly staff and guests here as well.

Haunted strip of forest

My kids and I had a blast here for three days. It is a very old site that surrounds an amazing lake.

The history being preserved is spectacular. Lots of hiking biking and only about 12 sites. There are boardwalks that meander through the swampy forest.

The water in Lake Phelps is perfectly clear. We didn’t get to explore it much without a boat but there are fish. Also, this lake is close to the outer banks so you can plan to go there as well.

We will definitely go here again and bring kayaks next time.

Ok campground, but lots to do!

The campground at Northwest River Park is small and pretty basic. For a tent camper that is used to wooded, private sites these leave much to be desired. There is not much privacy. The campground was full the night we stayed there and very busy and noisy through the night. We stayed on a Memorial Day weekend though so maybe it is not typically like that. All night our young children were woken up by the noise from the nearby RV's AC units.

What this park lacks in it's campground, it makes up for in it's recreational activities! There is a putt-putt course! Canoeing! Tons of hiking trails! Multiple playgrounds! Lots of wide open space for kids to run and play! Fishing! This is an excellent park for kids and families to come for the day!

Overall not a horrible experience but this is the closest campground to our house and we have not felt the need to come back and stay overnight. Maybe would be better for camping mid-week when it's not so busy.

Not bad

Campsites are nice but be careful the wooden borders is included in dimensions. Nice bathrooms with hot showers. Over 5 miles of easy hiking good for everyone. Gas station right outside visitor center entrance in case you forget anything. Not very many people here so its nice and quiet.