Garland, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Garland Camping Reviews
Lovely little campground on the river

We used this campground as a stopping point after a trip to Fantasy Lake Water Park.  It's secluded, small, cute, and located right on the Lumber River.

Our particular site, PA 7, is one of two right on the river's edge, across from the Naked Landing trail.  Sites 7 & 8 would be perfect for two families to camp together, because they'd have the whole trail area to themselves.  These sites have a bit of hike-in required, in that you can't drive up to them (see my uploaded photo of where the parking lot is in relation to the sites).

There is a vault toilet near the parking lot ("that's gonna be a no from me, dog") but an actual restroom facility across the parking lot.

Each of the sites has its own trash can, and a ranger comes by in the morning to empty it.

The river is nice to swim in after a hot summer's day, although the bottom is quite squishy.  It's a good area to fish or use small watercraft.

We slept in hammocks and were awoken at dawn by a cacophony of juvenile barred owls directly above us.

A great campsite!

A great campsite! We had a fantastic time last week! We also had the privelidge of having the park COMPLETELY to ourselves…the ranger confirmed that we were the only campers that night!

A beautiful site, we only wished that we could stay longer.

Loved it!

I visit White lake every year for vacation but this year we decided to add in a camping trip. We decided to check out Camp Clearwater. I did read bad reviews here & there but I wanted to give them a shot. And I’m glad I did! I had such an amazing experience here! Everyone was so nice and down to earth! I will definitely be back!😊

Put it on your list

Clean, quiet, and affordable. Pool, laundry, pond, full hookups. Friendly staff. Save this site

Owners are mean

I loved the campground itself. It was quiet, small, no activities tho and clean. But the only interaction the male owner had w me, is he yelled at me twice. Once my dog got out of camper by accident and I immediately picked him up and apologized. The woman (Cathy) owner was nice and all was forgiven. But the male owner couldn’t realize it was an accident and my dog was out for less then 2 sec. I immediately got him and put him in rv. Every time the man came around.. he never looked friendly or happy. Always w a frown and grumpy. The next time, my autistic grandson went into the bathroom and he broke the toilet dispenser.. instead of us not saying anything and let them discover it, I felt it was a Christian thing to do is admit he did it and offer to pay for it… even tho the company who supplies that dispenser gives them away free w the toilet paper order (my husband works w same company at his job and knows them well) the man proceeded to yell at me. Then threatened to call the cops to have us removed… I asked Why? Cuz we offered to pay for something our grandchild broke? The man is crazy and would NEVER come here again. Accidents happen, and it was probably something wrong w dispenser in the first place… who knows, but he is not a people person AT ALL!

Decent

Stayed the weekend of the airshow, quiet and accessible to the BX/Commissary but CAC ID required for campground and other base amenities. We also enjoy the gym and bowling alley, planning to come back to see movies at the base theatre. All are of these are pretty close to the campground. Improvements I recommend: -Allow patrons to make reservations, first come first serve has deterred us in the past and likely others.

• the campground would benefit to have a playground
  • some of the cleaning/maintenance seemed to be neglected, our sewer drain had an issue and it did not seem to be a new problem.

The price is good though, with that in mind I'd say that it's a decent/average military campground.

Nice campground they had arts and crafts and the kids enjoyed train ride

Very Nice

Very well kept! Just stayed the night.

Simple Lakeside Life

While it's not the most exciting camping, Jone's Lake offers the simple necessities along with quick access to the lake. Hiking in the area is pretty flat though so don't go in expecting much of a challenge.

Beautiful Family Spot

Wonderful place! We took the kayaks and camped for the 3 day weekend. It cost a bit more than expected and the beach area closed at 1800, which we had five kids, so that was a bummer. That is my only complaint. I wish we knew if the area without electricity cost as much. We never used the electric anyway.

Great campground but avoid the yurt!

I have camped with a large group of friends at site #2 a couple of times, but this weekend, I wanted to camp with just my two boys, and site #5 (the yurt site) was available.  This site was new since I had camped here last.  It said it slept 6 and the website showed a pic of two beds; I *assumed* there would be four more, since it slept 6.

Long story short, just 2 beds.  But the worst part was weeds growing up through the floorboards, ripped screens, doors that wouldn't zip completely, and two (purposeful) holes at the top that surely let in mosquitoes!  The boy who slept at ground level is completely bitten up, despite me spraying everyone with bug spray and using my tennis racket-style bug zapper to clear out the yurt before bed.

Our trash can was completely full (I mean, at least there's a trash can, but we could hardly use it). Our fire ring was full of ashes and the grate was jammed down.  The previous campers had left us a few jugs of water but also small pieces of trash scattered about.  What I'm trying to say was that this site was not maintained between the last visitors and us.

The campground, though, is awesome if you like roughing it.  You are allowed, thankfully, to drive to your site, but it's a hike to walk to the running water toilets, and I saw lots of people drive to them.  There is a closer pit toilet but I didn't check that out.

The lake is beautiful, shallow, warm, good fishing, fun for everyone!  Bullfrogs, peepers, and owls called all night.  Dragonflies galore flew about.  It's rustic, but relaxing.  And the visitor's center has a nice exhibit on the Carolina Bays.

Flat hike

Hiked here a couple times. Lake is beautiful and there is a swimming area. Flat all around so if you're looking for difficulty this is not the place.

Small State Park with a View from the Cliffs

Although the family campground is closed until autumn, I recently stayed at this state park and have stayed at it many times before. It doesn't have as many amenities as more developed campgrounds, but there is plenty to do. For example, there are about 3-4 miles of hiking trails, one that takes you beside the 90-foot cliffs overlooking the Neuse River. There is a small nature center that describes the history and geographical features of the area. During the summer, you can swim or rent canoes and paddle boats. You can fish at the river or in the lake. Since this state park is in the middle of the country, the sounds of nature are interrupted only by occasional jets flying overhead from the nearby air force base. There is also a large picnic area adjacent to one of the parking lots. The biggest draw of this park, obviously, is the cliff view, but if you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere, this is a great place to camp.

Small Campground for Fishing, Kayaking, and Relaxing in a Country Setting

If you are looking for a small campground miles away from a big city, this is it. Although it is not a large campground, there are several things to do if you like fishing, canoeing/paddling, swimming (during the summer), and hiking. You can rent peddle boats and canoes, or you can launch your own, including jon boats. Boat motors are not permitted except for trolling motors, but it doesn't take much to get around the 69-acre lake. There are at least three islands in the lake and quite a few coves for finding a great fishing spot. There is a 2.2 mile trail that circles the lake, a playground for younger children, a picnic shelter, and two bath houses. The bath houses have concrete floors, but they have hot water showers. One drawback about the showers is that they are push button showers, meaning that you have to push the button repeatedly during your shower. There are two types of camping at this campground. In one area, there are sites that have water and/or electricity. The other area has primitive sites with only picnic tables and fire rings. At night, you will hear geese, which doesn't bother me but will bother some. Another drawback are the sounds of traffic coming from the distant highway and the occasional sounds of military jets flying overhead since this campground is centrally located between U.S. Marine and U.S. Air Force bases. Despite the negatives about this campground, I love it. I have camped here over a dozen times, sometimes with the Boy Scouts and sometimes with friends and family. The campground seems to have a laid back atmosphere, and the staff are friendly.

Lovely and Charming Diamond-In-The-Rough

If you are looking for a friendly, affordable campground, open all year long, then Lake Leamon Family Campground is for you. There are no bells and whistles, but you won’t miss them when staying in this little diamond-in-the-rough campground. The manager, Pops as he is affectionately called by his employees and long-timers, goes out of his way to accommodate everyone’s needs and may even bend your ear with a story or two during your visit. From the massive 50 amp Class A rigs, to the aged or new 30 amp Class C Motorhomes, travel trailers and conversion vans to the die-hard tenters, there’s a spot for everyone. With a bath house sporting lavatories, showers and a laundry room; an arcade room over looking the lovely lake, fire pits and picnic tables, diving platforms, fishing, swimming, kayaking, canoeing and the famous Duplin Winery only nine miles away, this little campground is easy on the wallet and a sight for sore eyes when looking for that campsite you’ll want to come back to again and again!

Low intensity Lake Camping

This is a great spot for campers who would like to car camp and have a swimming feature. The lake is super shallow for at least a hundred yards in all directions from the dock. Where shoes when walking on the dock, lots of nail heads and splinters.

The swimming dock is a short walk from campsite 1, but quite a hike from the other primitive group sites. There are some hiking trails that meander through the sandy pine forest. They range from a .75 mile self-guided nature trail to a 4 mile hike along the lake,

The campsite had picnic tables, fire pit, food prep counter and was not near any other campsites. The mosquitos (expectedly) were pretty voracious despite liberal application of repellent.

The pit toilet had a healthy population of spiders, but the campsite was an easy walk to flush toilets and water fountains.

It would be a nice, private place to camp in colder months, but not much to do. The sunset on the lake was absolutely gorgeous and we had it to ourselves on the first night. This is also a popular destination for locals, so there were quite a few people on the dock on Saturday.

Quiet, neat, clean place to stay

Cleanest pool I have been in in years, nice catch n release pond, quiet, they sprayed for bugs, lots are pull they and plenty of space

I wouldn’t even bother here

Roy Dean stayed he would hold a site for us and our Grandson for a long weekend. He said to call 1 week before. He did not accept visa Or any cards at all, had to pay cash upon arrival.

Well I called and he said he didn’t save a space for us! Why would he do such a thing. I won’t ever give him a chance. August 2018

Fun, clean, friendly rangers

Swimming, fishing pier, kayak and paddleboat rentals, trails and so much more. Family friendly. Perfect spot to take my 5 year old on his first camping trip. Can't wait to go back!

Beautiful vistas, group sites close together

View was gorgeous and hikes were beautiful in hard wood forest. Park was crowded, lots of cigarette butts and noisy camp neighbors. Toilets in good repair and minor flooding during rain.

State Park

Very nice state park with rv and tent sites. They have electric and water hookups. There are picnic tables and fire rings at each site. Firewood is available from the ranger. There are showers and toilets also. Many hiking trails with cliff overlook of the Nuese River. There is a swimming area and Connor rental also.

Well organized and clean and surprisingly quiet

We loved it here, it was right off a main road but quiet. The deluxe tent sites were very nice with a covered sitting area and soft pads for our tent. The sites were well spaced as well. Bathrooms were very clean and a short walk and the facilities here were useful. We did a day trip to the beach which was a short ride and into downtown Wilmingon which was also a short ride. Restaurants across the street were fun with pool tables and darts. Would stay again.

Convenient, Clean, and Friendly

This campground is a little farther than I think most people would like to be from a the beach, but it’s so professional and friendly! It’s clean, it’s close to downtown Wilmington and there is SO much to do there. There is an RV wash right next door! There are a lot of gray farmer’s stands and fresh seafood stands nearby too! We choose this for reliability and friendliness over the beach campgrounds because the service here is amazing. It’s not the most shaded outdoorsy space, it does have a ton of family activities, but the people are what makes the difference for us here.

Pass through

This is a clean KOA with good showers. The facilities are well maintained. Few sites are shaded and they are small. There is little privacy, but for an overnight stay it is okay.

You can order some good food delivered right to your site from a local restaurant, that can be a plus.

Just drove through

this rustic place is right near the airport and I 95. lots of trees.

Resort like, safe, clean

This is a wonderful, clean, level family type RV resort.

Two pools, one Jacuzzi, 3 Dog parks. Volley ball, playground, putt putt and moreEvery Friday, Saturday and Sundays they have free waffles for small donation. They also have organized activities.

They have a small store as well as propane.

Each site has 30 or 50 amp and 20 amp.

Each site has a picnic table.

18 private bath suites and Laubdry facilities.

Goic for short and long term stays.

Price based on time of the year.

You must call and ask.

Eeveryone is super friendly and helpful.

Great family campground

Great family campground ! Lots to do for all ages !

every weekend bingo , dj with dance , Arcade with lots of games , gift shop and ice cream !! Food venders and places to eat in walking distance. Gospel music on Saturday nights at chapel and church service at chapel by the water front !! Nice new laundry ! There is several different bath houses! So much to see and do

Lovely small campground

Had a lovely stay here. The sites were kind of course together, but it turned out just fine. You can see tons of stars here at night, it is amazing! It's lovely to sit by the water and look at the night sky. Also, there's a lot of owls here at night. If you are a light sleeper you may want to consider ear plugs. It's lovely, but the owls do get kind of rowdy at points making a racket. There bath house was a decent walk, but nothing ridiculous.

Love Cabin Lake

This park is small and simple, which is part of the reason I love it so much! Sites are semi level paved pads with electric, water faucet is shared per two sites and a splitter is available from the office. They sell ice and firewood but there is no store. It’s mostly woods but some direct sun. It’s very quiet there as the lake is for canoes, paddle boats, or electric motors only. There is a small swim beach (seasonal) and playground as well as boat ramp and fishing docks. There are well maintained trails for the hikers. This is a well managed park! No staff is on site at night, they lock the gate and go home, but give campers the gate code. Dump station is available. Do not take credit cards. Nobody much there during the week but they say it’s very busy weekends. Plenty of tent space even for big groups. Check it out!