Wheaton , MISSOURI

Most Recent Wheaton Camping Reviews
The Spot!

Words really can't describe.

But here we go….

Hidden Gem of the Ozarks

Definitely one of the most peaceful and tranquil campsites I ever stayed. Great place for families too. Access to Table Rock, Game Room, Pool and Jacuzzi. Small cabins and A-frames to rent. They have it all. This is my getaway!

Quiet and clean

Campsites are spread out, lots of privacy. Bathrooms are a short drive back to the general store. There is plenty of firewood around that you can cut. Campsite 1 was where I stayed, right on the river. There were floaters on the river, but not a lot and it was still peaceful. Great fishing. Nice fire pits and level campsites. I will be returning!

Just pretty close to perfect

‘‘This Campground has sections. The one group is the (Sentury) Indian, and the second loop is the Eagle Point Fox loop. We were at the Sentry loop. We liked site 71 in that loop. It offered the most space and was a full hook up. That is one of the best things about this campground. Several full hookups. Boat ramp was nice. Not great but ok for kayaking. Nice swim beach. Campground host we met was not very friendly or helpful.

A quiet weekend

After camping each month through the summer, it was a pleasant change for the temperature to dip for our two nigh visit to Lake Leatherwood City Park. We had booked one of the site in what is known as Shady Grove, which is down on the edge of the lake. We kayak and it was a pleasant surprise to find only three powered boats on the lake throughout the weekend. You can rent canoes, paddle boards and paddle boats on an hourly rate if you haven’t brought your own. The campsite was built in the 1940s and still has that old feel to it. It’s basic but efficient and clean. The host is friendly and helpful. After camping in COE campgrounds and state parks, this is a nice quiet campground. There are numerous bike and hiking trails and a shuttle service for the downhill riders. This is definitely a campground we will visit again.

So many great memories!

This was my 4 year old son’s FIRST camping trip. And it rained like CRAZZZYYYYY. But man we had fun! My wife is 29 weeks pregnant and she came too! Between fishing and canoeing and swimming and our hike… wow! The Carrick Creek loop was a little harder than anticipated… or it could just be that I’m out of shape. Either way. We can’t wait to get back out in the woods soon!

Great place to go off road riding. Fun olace

This is a Off-road park that has cabins and other camping options.  Not a quiet place but for those looking to ride or enjoy some off-road fun this is a good place to play!  There are some hiking trails where you can ride them hike..

Bring on the Deet!

Had an awesome hike, more incline/decline than I was expecting for the area! The caves were closed off due to walkway damage. Loved the lookout over the Missouri River! One less fun but not trip ruining detail, were the ticks. I went in August and they were pretty bad, tons on our legs and on my dog just from the hike. Next time I'll be prepared with deet!

Nice area

Nice place to walk in the woods, camping by permit, short drive from Springfield, high traffic