the dyrt
Aberdeen, MISSISSIPPI
Most Recent Aberdeen Camping Reviews
Needs some work

Trace State Park near Tupelo, MS. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The road in is in terrible shape, the lake is missing, the levy being worked on. They have horse, ATV and mountain bike trails which are in okay shape but could use some TLC. There are rental cabins and the store is limited to souvenir type merchandise and disc’s.

The staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. You have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

There is Disc golf, fishing, and currently limited water sports.We used the multipurpose room and a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby with Elvis’s birthplace. In addition there are several recreation areas to visit on the Natchez Trace with historical information and trails to explore.

Where’s the lake ?

Ranger review: RoM Outdoors RoM Pack at Trace State Park, Tupelo, Mississippi

Campground Review: I took the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway from Tennessee down into Mississippi and exited near Tupelo to continue into Trace State Park for a camping event I was attending over the weekend. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The park itself needs some work. Recent cuts from the state have left the park in need of road work and the levy repair is taking a while to complete according to locals. Where we camped the lake was dry and full of weeds. You could tell by the shoreline that it would be possible to anchor your water craft very near your campsite in several locations once it is refilled with water.

That being said the staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. The spacing between sites is good too, you have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

Disc golf, multi-use trails, fishing, currently limited water sports.

After set up our group met in the multipurpose room and then congregated to a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby and I visited Elvis’s birthplace , “Scarlet’s Donuts”(maple bacon donuts, and tamales) and an excellent BBQ place “Clays House of Pig”. So if you like to sneak to town while camping this is a nice area for it. There are thrift and antique stores close too.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I recently received a RoM Outdoors  RoM Pack https://romoutdoors.com/ to use , abuse and review while camping. I explored one of the three main trails in Trace SP. The trails are multi-use (ie. ATV, Horse, Dirt bike, Hikers) so pay attention to the signs and be aware of the area. We hiked 4.5 miles. The first thing you will notice about the RoMPack is that it has some weight to it (4.6 lbs)even empty. This is due to the outer water resistant material and the inner, soft, insulated material. There are two detachable bags, and a smaller inner pack to carry them in when you remove them to transform your pack into……a hooded poncho or ground cover , cool idea!

So obviously this is not an overnight type backpack or something a fast packer would use. It is however a versatile option for day hikes, visits to the park or sporting events and I used it to pack my Dachshund when he was done hiking ;)

I haven’t attempted to attach a hydration bladder and decided to just place my entire hydration pack into the main area of the RoM Pack. This works in two ways. First if I don’t need the poncho/blanket I have my hydration in easy reach. Second if I do use the poncho/blanket my hydration pack fits fine under the inner pack on my back with poncho over that.

Definitely practice folding and unfolding the poncho/blanket . I had my usual dysfunction , just like with the hiking maps, I got it unfolded and user ready but then had issues putting it back into its original folded configuration. I eventually got it back together. There is a video on their site to make it easier. Just remember it will get faster with muscle memory over time.

Once again this is not a pack I would use for extended deep woods adventures. It’s great for your day hikes with the kids, concert in the park or hike into a picnic spot, would work for hunting too.

Pro’s: All in one (ie, carry pack, two secure bags, blanket/poncho, inner pack, Molle straps to add other accessories)

Water resistant outer shell

Soft warm inner lining

Durable material

Well made

Con’s: Heavy

Limited packing space( the large middle pocket is gone when you unfold it)

Not for overnight/deep woods(technically not a con, not the concept of the bag)

This will be my go to bag when adventuring with my grandkids. I would/will suggest this pack to friends with specific uses in mind. There are currently three color options and several other products to explore on the ROM Outdoors site

Nice little park on the Trace

Stopped here for a night traveling through Mississippi. It is a little out of the way, but quiet. You drive down the Natches trace to get here. The sites were large enough to relax, and the neighbors were not right on top of us. Bathroom was ok, but the shower was not working when we were there. Close to Tupelo if you like Elvis.

Great campground!

The park manager and workers are so nice and accommodating! I’ve stayed in the cabins and the primitive sites and both had wonderful views of the lake. The hiking trail that loops around the water is beautiful. My dog loves it too! It’s such a great place to go relax, have fun, grill out, and make memories.

DeWayne Hayes

Wonderful campground! Great people taking care of it. Will be visiting a lot!

Just beautiful

This is one of the favorites of all the places we have stayed. It was beautiful and so clean. The hosts were friendly. We had an issue with the electric hookup and they had maintenance workers to is within 20 minutes. The facilities and trails are very well maintained and the sites are well spaces enough that you can have some quiet and privacy. ** PLEASE NOTE: The lake has been drained due to levee issues and some rebuild of the levee and dam. It will be empty for the foreseeable future so there is no water here. That info was not made clear when we made the reservation. ** We still enjoyed our short stay here.

Heavily wooded. Large lake for boating, fishing...

Very well kept. Frisbee golf. Ball field. Large lake. Very quiet.

clean park but no lake

Apparently the main lake has been drained for now. The roads to and through the campground are a bit rough, so you may have to drIve slow. The campsites are paved and leveled. Bathhouse is clean. Full hookups at our site. Overall this was a nice campground.

Absolutely beautiful !

Small well maintained park . Swim area in the lake has a sandy bottom, and plenty of fishing. All sites have a good view of the lake and they are spaced out so you are not too close to each other. There is a great little Baptist church 1 mile from the park and the best Seafood buffet 10 miles north on Hwy 15 at Seafood Junction in Algoma. Your also 20 miles from Tupelo which has plenty of shopping.

Wonderful campground

One of my favorite campgrounds. Best to make reservations on line it fills up fast on weekends.

Interesting place to spend a night.

So this is a very interesting place to spend an evening. There is a reproduction of a 19th century plantation house. Its very beautiful. The camping area is walking distance to the house and the lake. The lake has a huge paddle wheel steam boat that you can pay to cruise around the lake. We opted out of this but it did seem like it would have been fun.

The camping area is small. The bathrooms were clean and there is running water. For a family i can imagine this being really great to explore. Personally i have issues people making money of the preservation of a slavery house. Non the less it is a beautiful area..Only stayed 1 night.

Cheers!

Natchez Trace Parkway recreation area

Pretty wooded area. This is a fairly developed area along this scenic drive, with swimming, rail-to-trail biking and hiking trail, wildlife viewing, etc. The campsite is simple, open with trees, and many sites are right along the water (the rest are a tiny walk away).

Yay: simple but clean with extras like showers, piers, etc. Lots more to do nearby in the National Forest.

Nay: No complaints. The hiking trail is very short though.

Surprise: Great wildlife! Came here for bird watching. Will return to bike the Tanglefoot Trail.

Best campground in Mississippi

We visited last weekend and the weather was quite humid and hot. We rented site 11 and it provides more than we expected and it boasted in trees that created a canopy over the entire area. The site was large and had its own fishing pier and I loved it since that was the reason we visited, caught several catfish and lost a few 8 plus pounders. Definitely will return to partake in the trails and visit the museum.

Great for tents!!

The pickensville campground was a wonderful place for us we were tent camping and there was plenty of shade with the nice big trees around a convenience store was located just a few miles up the road which was great when we needed anything that we forgot to pack