the dyrt
Bienville National Forest, MISSISSIPPI
Most Recent Bienville National Forest Camping Reviews
Quiet

clean facilities,Friendly people

Great location with friendly staff and a family atmosphere

This is a great campground with a friendly staff and great atmosphere. The sites are spacious and most are extremely shaded. The grounds and restrooms are clean and well maintained.

Great flat ground for tent camping

Great flat ground for tent camping. We were in campsite 3 and it was huge. Perfect for a scout troop or other large group. Also had ample trees with perfect spacing for hammock camping.

Close bathroom is a bit of a dump, full of spiderwebs, and unclean, but if you walk to the new trading post across the street, there are nice bathrooms.

picnic tables and trash cans at each campsite. Close location to canoe and kayak rentals.

Easy escape

We’ve taken several trips to Roosevelt and each has been quiet, peaceful, easy, and full of things to do. There are some more challenging RV spots to back into but the majority are straight forward with just enough surrounding trees to give some privacy. The lake is nice and the waterfront spots are great. Facilities are clean and located in good spots. The staff is fantastic and helpful. And exploring the national forest or nearby towns is great fun.

Fun day trip

I took my dog, Lucas. We fished and walked around. This place is more popular than I realized and was a little busy when we went. Great experience though.

Very peaceful

Very quiet park. Nice walking trails. Beautiful lake. And one really tall tree!!

Pretty campground

Small campground on a lake. Pretty and quiet. Recent work on campsites to create level sites. Enjoy camping there.

Quiet place to stay the night

Lots of stairs to descend/ascend to get to the bottom of the falls. Nice historical building. I was the only camper there when I stayed. Very quiet.

Love this campground

Finest state park with shady sites and full hook ups, family friendly, swimming, nice bathhouses, convenient access off I-20. Popular fishing lake, allows skiing Memorial Day til Labor Day. Disc golf. We have camped year around

Beautiful campground around a lake

This campsite was not crowded at all and really peaceful. I stayed in site 13 which was right on the lake. The view was beautiful. The spot was really large with plenty of room for tents and hammocks. There are trails close by that were nice to walk on. The pool is there for an extra fee with a water slide. They are well maintained. It was a great park!

unlevel pads for RV's

The rv gravel pads were extremely un-level, even after waiting 2 hours, watching them add 7 tractor buckets of gravel the pad was still un-level and they finally let us move our spot. When we booked our trip we were told there was a water fee, which wasn't charged until after Memorial Day because the pool, splash pad, and slide were not operational. We arrived the Wednesday after Memorial day and was told the pool was good and the slide would be up and running in a day or two, the slide was not even on premises! When it arrived, the workers said it normally takes at least a week or two to install. We swam in the pool one day, but the filer was not working, so the water was disgusting, I couldn't even see my feet, and the bottom of the pool was covered in sand. We were there for 5 days, and were informed the "water fee" isn't a water fee, it's a park fee, $6 per person per day for nothing! Therefore we spent $150 on nothing. Also, we didn't remove our sway bars from our truck because it was raining and the first night they were stolen off our truck. I would not go back to this park.

unlevel pads for rv's and pool was gross

Great park

We have been going to this park off and on for years. They do have a motel if you don’t have an RV/tent. The bathrooms are clean. There are lots of things to do in the campground like disk golf, hiking, swimming, waterslide, canoeing, fishing and playgrounds. The only reason I didn’t give it a five stars, is because a lot of the campsite pads are broken and narrow and the ground is washed out around it. I know it is an endless battle for the park to keep up with probably. We had to be very careful about stepping out of the camper because it dropped off quickly. We were constantly grabbing the kids so they didn’t fall. I would certainly go back though. It is very beautiful.

Natural setting close to home

Roosevelt was one of the first state parks in MS. It is heavily wooded around a pretty lake. I prefer the older side of the lake. Has larger campsites and less activity.

Our Go To campground

Less than an hour away from home we usually camp here several times a year. We have always camped at R.O. Hannah Campground on the water. Sites are nice and mostly shaded. Bath Houses nice and clean. Water park is added fun for the grandkids. Fishing is usually pretty good for Bream/Sunfish, Catfish and the occasional bass. Staff personnel are friendly and accommodating. Great place to stay.

Peaceful Escape

Very nice sites and bath house. Grounds are kept in immaculent condition. Sites have electric, water and sewer. No cable TV but if you have HDTV antenna, you will get several Meridian stations. Reasonably priced. We are fortunate to have this quality campground nearby.

Mayes Lake

Great place to camp. Right in the middle of Jackson MS. quiet, great day time area with playground amd picnic spots across the lake from the campground. Bathhouse in good condition. pads are level and clear. nice space between each site. Shady and clean.

great times

Lovely park with plenty to do. swimming (in the lake for free or swimming pool $ plus a water slide) full hookup. Shady level pads. pet friendly. we really enjoyed a nice weekend. we go to this campground frequently.

Beautiful location

Beautiful wooded site with full hook up and clean bathroom and shower

Perfect to split camping trip between this and Gin Creek

Twiltley Campground is the only full-service campground managed by the Corps of Engineers at Okatibbee Lake, a 11,000 acre multi-purpose recreation area in eastern Mississippi. Natural Features:Okatibbee Lake boasts 4,000 acres of water surface in the Pascagoula River Basin. Extensive beaver flowages, stump beds and old creek channels provide abundant cover where anglers battle largemouth and striped bass. Summers are hot and humid, with temperatures ranging from 70 to 98 degrees Fahrenheit. Recreation:With eagles and hawks in the area, families will enjoy keeping an eye out for these magnificent birds.

Water sports including fishing and water skiing are always popular on the lake; however, fishing from the banks also yields a good amount of crappie, bass and bream. Facilities:With four boat ramps and three designated swimming areas, theres plenty of ways to enjoy the lake shore. Many sites have electric hookups and theres a pay phone onsite. Nearby Attractions:Explore Chicasawhay and Okatibbee Creeks upstream of the lake. The creeks flow through the Okatibbee State Wildlife Area.

Fairly inexpensive camping right on lake!

First impressions are everything right! Well the camp immediately seemed well cared for, maintained, clean. It is pretty cheap 6$ for a tent site. There are only 7 sites and they are pretty close together. that is about the only con about this place. we had the site fairly to ourselves in april which i shocked about. if your into fishing, swimming, cheap, well maintained campground this is the place for you. We inflated the SUP and caused around a little. Well worth the 6$ Stayed for 2 nights. Lots of swimming fishing and paddle boarding.

Excellent place to spend a few days!

We had a wonderful time here with absolutely no one else. Nestled in the Bienville National Forrest with lost of other options to camp. The national Forrest some time offers the privacy and seclusion on wants. If this is something you seek definitely come here. The ride out is a little ruff. Pack in pack out. There is a restroom and water. ENJOY!

Goshen Springs is the place to cast you cares away!

Fish from a boat or the shore and catch bass, perch, or huge catfish. Campground is equipped with grills, picnic, boat launches, boat slips, monthly rentals, swimming pool, playground, bathhouse, laundry. This isn't quite my cup of tea. Typically i enjoy peace and minimalistic things but this sure was nice. The wife loved it..

On the Turkey Creek reservoir

By “water park” they mean “park with recreation activities on the water” not a man made park with slides and rides. This was devastating news for our friend’s young daughter! Enjoy fishing and especially water skiing with your own boat or a boat rented on site. There is mountain biking and hiking (all easy trails), a sandy beach, and just a nice relaxing atmosphere. The campgrounds are simple but modernized, moderate size, . They have a large building to rent for reunions.

Yay: great peaceful area with classic MS views. Wooded and private campsites.

Nay: costs a little more to access the lake (not bad, just a surprise). Not too far from Jackson so it felt a little crowded.

Surprise: we stayed here when the sites in the nearby National Forest were full and enjoyed it so much we added a day to our trip. That you can rent boats on site makes it so much easier!

Fishing

I have not camped at this site but I have fished many times in the lake. It is a very nice sized lake and is stocked with bass, blue gill and red ear, crappie and catfish. It has several piers to fish. It is a state lake and is kept up by the MDWFP. It has a nice bath house that I believe was rebuilt fairly recently. It does have several camping pads available with electricity and water hook ups.

Mayes Lake

I have not camped at this site due to the location but I have fished the lakes here. The larger horseshoe lake has several piers to fish from and Mayes lake has a lot of under water structure. The Pearl River runs right behind these lakes so there are normally some alligators around. There are RV hook ups available and it does have a nice play ground next to the camping sites. There is another very large playground where the museum of science and children's museum are located. I recommend both of those museums if you have kids. There is a 9 hole golf course which is also a part of the state park.

Yogi Bear Pelahatchie, MS

I have visited this campground twice and both times were very enjoyable. They have cabins available for rent, which is what we did, camper spots that will accommodate the big rigs, I don't know exact size but I saw some that were at least 40'. They also have primitive camping available. There is a nice lake that you can kayak and fish in. I had my own, not sure if they have any to rent. There are also piers to fish off of. Later in the summer the lake does become over grown with weeds around the docks but if you can get on the water the deeper water is still fishable. There is also a small water park/ splash pad that the kids loved. Overall very nice get away. The small town of Pelahatchie is less then 5 mins away if you need to go pick up extra supplies.

Oakatibbee

Great grounds, cabins, boating, and fishing!