the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
Mississippi

Mississippi may be the birthplace of The Blues, but it’s also a camper’s paradise. With an abundance of streams, rivers—most notably the mighty Mississippi River—and miles of coastline along the Gulf of Mexico, as well as a seemingly never-ending array of national forests, parks and wildlife refuges, camping in Mississippi should be on every camping enthusiast’s bucket list.

Nicknamed “The Magnolia State” Mississippi is one of the most sought-after destinations for wildlife photographers and bird watchers alike. And if you’re a music fan, the state has a ton of terrific music festivals to plan your next camping trip around.

One of the most popular areas for camping in Mississippi is along the forests of the Natchez Trace, as the southern part of this historic trail runs right through almost the entire state.

Divided into nine sections named after nearby cities and towns, the Natchez Trace is the ideal place to explore Mississippi’s Native American history. Pharr Mounds, located on the Tishomingo-Belmont section of the Natchez Trace, is an ancient burial ground used by nomadic tribes between 100 and 1200 A.D. Another section—Donivan Slough—displays the wonders of Mississippi’s tulip poplars, sycamores and water oaks among the state’s swampy bottomlands.

If you’re an avid camper in the southeast, you’ve most likely camped in the Cumberland Mountains, a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking for a little elevation. Though Mississippi is a relatively flat state, it doesn’t mean there aren’t mountains. You just have to know where to look.

The town of Iuka, Mississippi has plenty of great camping areas and is located near historic Woodall Mountain. As the state’s highest point—a modest 806 feet—privately-owned Woodall Mountain may not compare to the Cumberland Mountains in size, but its Civil War history is legendary. And with activities such as rock climbing, hiking, canoeing and even disc golf close by, it’s a great way to get the best of all that camping in Mississippi has to offer.

So, come discover the south’s warmest welcome and see how camping in Mississippi feels like coming home.

Recent Reviews in Mississippi
Great stay

Close to Vicksburg Military Park. Full hook ups for our RV.

First time here

Had a great time and we will return! Staff was very friendly and nice!

Great get away

We love this place! Clean, and quiet, with good sized sites.

Good location

This was a great location if wanting to camp near the Vicksburg National military park. We walked to the park. Very few tent spots and most were in disrepair. The bathrooms were ok, they tried to keep them clean. The staff was friendly. Lots of highway noise, lots of noise from the permanent residents and their dogs. No wifi, no water.

Solid park

My husband and I tent camped in Natchez state park February 2019. We were the only people in the park best we could tell. The bathrooms were great (always important to me),very clean, hot running water, all the essentials. The campsite was nice, no firepit, but we were able to make a fire. It was rainy when we were there, so we spent time outside the park. There are almost no hiking trails in the park, there is a nice lake, but no rental ability that we could find. They do allow hunting in the park, so you must be careful.

Wouldn’t go back

We chose this park because we were using state parks during the government shutdown, but this is really one of the worst parks we have been to. When we reserved the site on line, we noted we were a tent but when we arrived, there were signs everywhere saying no tents on sites. There were no rangers to check us in so we went directly to our site, this park appears to be a low income housing option for Gautier, families living out of a box truck. The bathrooms were old and mainly clean but no locks on any doors. There was plenty of hot water but the shower floor was slimy. Raccoons and squirrels everywhere including trying to get into tent.

Mixed Feelings

Camped & Hiked Tishomingo State Park last weekend. Beautiful fall colors and the hike was gorgeous! This place seems so out of place for Mississippi! With that being said…The campground was a disappointment. There was a handful of decent sites, but overall, it is in disrepair. The bathroom towards the back of the loop was already closed for the season. The middle bathroom only had one toilet working in the women’s and men’s restroom (we don’t have a bathroom in our Aliner popup and there were also lots of tent campers). I literally had to wait in line a couple of times to use the bathroom. Many sites were washing out under the pads and had steep drop offs on the sides (especially the single digit site #’s). The tables and fire pits (some sites didn’t even have a real pit, just a spot on the ground where there was signs of a fire) were really far away and some sites appeared to be in a soggy bottom area. We got semi lucky and had a decent spot. (Site 33). The sites that back up to the woods instead of the pond are flatter for those who find that more important. Maybe we are just spoiled to nicer state parks where they take more pride in the upkeep? Just the little details that don’t cost extra money, but instead just needs someone to do it (blowing leaves off the major roads and parking areas, cleaning graffiti, clearing massive mounds of debris, etc…) I don’t know if they are suffering from budget cuts, if someone is robbing the place blind or if the staff just works there because it’s a job but doesn’t really care about the park itself. It’s sad because this should be a premier destination spot in Mississippi! I don’t want to deter anyone from going here because the landscape is really nice. I just got worked up because I don’t understand how other parks are able to maintain, but this one seems to really be struggling with how to keep this place nice.

Clean -coin washer/dryer by showers-camper parking sometimes difficult

No pull throughs….some spots are hard to park campers in…clean and full hook ups in all spots

On the water!!

Love love this campground!! We stayed right on the water, the spots are big and spacious. Fire pits provided, very clean with great walking trails, dog friendly. Easy access!!

Great CG with W/E. Spacious sites.

COE CG.

Very clean sites and bath house.

Nice, quiet and great views

COE campground. No sewer. Water and electric.

Clean and quiet CG with spacious sites.

Needs some work

Trace State Park near Tupelo, MS. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The road in is in terrible shape, the lake is missing, the levy being worked on. They have horse, ATV and mountain bike trails which are in okay shape but could use some TLC. There are rental cabins and the store is limited to souvenir type merchandise and disc’s.

The staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. You have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

There is Disc golf, fishing, and currently limited water sports.We used the multipurpose room and a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby with Elvis’s birthplace. In addition there are several recreation areas to visit on the Natchez Trace with historical information and trails to explore.

Pleasant and affordable place to camp

We arrived just before 5pm on a Sunday at the end of October and had no problem securing a site. If you are over 65, you pay the same for a site with water and electric as you would for a primitive site ($16). Compared to other states, this was a pleasant surprise. Many sites back up to the lake and have generous sized concrete pads. Most we saw appeared level. Our picnic table was down a hill by the water so it was a hike to it but very pleasant for eating. I would imagine that at other times of the year staying here might not be so pleasant (heat and humidity plus we saw the remains of some HUGE ant hills). No fire rings but it looks like previous visitors may have built fires in the sandy area near the beach. Bathrooms were reasonably clean but they don’t have soap. I also don’t understand why there was one across from site 12 and one more not far down the road but for the last half of the loop, there weren’t any (except for one that had a closed sign and appeared to be more “rustic”). I’m guessing that people in those sites have fully equipped RVs. Good cell service for Verizon in the campground. Nice hiking trails - we liked the Outcroppings Trail. Evidence of the work of the CCC in the Park, especially the swinging bridge. Overall, a pleasant stay.

nice but best in spring and fall

large,Alligators, fishing looks to be best in spring and fall. Hot in summer. Camps are clean and sites are adequate,but nor cheap. 7 ml to town.

Where’s the lake ?

Ranger review: RoM Outdoors RoM Pack at Trace State Park, Tupelo, Mississippi

Campground Review: I took the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway from Tennessee down into Mississippi and exited near Tupelo to continue into Trace State Park for a camping event I was attending over the weekend. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The park itself needs some work. Recent cuts from the state have left the park in need of road work and the levy repair is taking a while to complete according to locals. Where we camped the lake was dry and full of weeds. You could tell by the shoreline that it would be possible to anchor your water craft very near your campsite in several locations once it is refilled with water.

That being said the staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. The spacing between sites is good too, you have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

Disc golf, multi-use trails, fishing, currently limited water sports.

After set up our group met in the multipurpose room and then congregated to a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby and I visited Elvis’s birthplace , “Scarlet’s Donuts”(maple bacon donuts, and tamales) and an excellent BBQ place “Clays House of Pig”. So if you like to sneak to town while camping this is a nice area for it. There are thrift and antique stores close too.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I recently received a RoM Outdoors  RoM Pack https://romoutdoors.com/ to use , abuse and review while camping. I explored one of the three main trails in Trace SP. The trails are multi-use (ie. ATV, Horse, Dirt bike, Hikers) so pay attention to the signs and be aware of the area. We hiked 4.5 miles. The first thing you will notice about the RoMPack is that it has some weight to it (4.6 lbs)even empty. This is due to the outer water resistant material and the inner, soft, insulated material. There are two detachable bags, and a smaller inner pack to carry them in when you remove them to transform your pack into……a hooded poncho or ground cover , cool idea!

So obviously this is not an overnight type backpack or something a fast packer would use. It is however a versatile option for day hikes, visits to the park or sporting events and I used it to pack my Dachshund when he was done hiking ;)

I haven’t attempted to attach a hydration bladder and decided to just place my entire hydration pack into the main area of the RoM Pack. This works in two ways. First if I don’t need the poncho/blanket I have my hydration in easy reach. Second if I do use the poncho/blanket my hydration pack fits fine under the inner pack on my back with poncho over that.

Definitely practice folding and unfolding the poncho/blanket . I had my usual dysfunction , just like with the hiking maps, I got it unfolded and user ready but then had issues putting it back into its original folded configuration. I eventually got it back together. There is a video on their site to make it easier. Just remember it will get faster with muscle memory over time.

Once again this is not a pack I would use for extended deep woods adventures. It’s great for your day hikes with the kids, concert in the park or hike into a picnic spot, would work for hunting too.

Pro’s: All in one (ie, carry pack, two secure bags, blanket/poncho, inner pack, Molle straps to add other accessories)

Water resistant outer shell

Soft warm inner lining

Durable material

Well made

Con’s: Heavy

Limited packing space( the large middle pocket is gone when you unfold it)

Not for overnight/deep woods(technically not a con, not the concept of the bag)

This will be my go to bag when adventuring with my grandkids. I would/will suggest this pack to friends with specific uses in mind. There are currently three color options and several other products to explore on the ROM Outdoors site

RV Only, Like RV RV

I checked into this park while looking for a place to stay in Memphis, it was a very secure facility right on the state line of Mississippi and Tennessee and it appeared to have good reviews so I wanted to see if they offered tent camping since I had seen nothing about that. I arrived and the staff was very friendly however they were also very thorough in stating it was RVs only.

I went ahead and told them I am a ranger for the Dyrt and also a travel blogger and was interested in passing on the knowledge to other campers potentially looking in the area and they took me on a tour bragging on the facilities which had spacious road that were fully paved and well maintained. The restrooms were large and equipped for handicapped accessibility and there was a neighborhood vibe about this location.

Spaces were a little close together but it seemed as though most of the people here were retirees in larger rigs who didn't want the responsibility of having a lot of space in their immediate "yard". They offer nightly rates along with weekly and monthly however I believe that most are taking advantage of the monthly.

The person giving me the tour, the campground host, did mention that a lot of people misunderstand their RV policy and come in with pop ups or teardrops and those usually are not acceptable. So that s a major thing to know when coming here, you must be in a RV as defined by these standards.

I noticed that the site was incredibly clean. They offered additional storage for sports equipment and other items, a rec center and office and for each site both cable and wifi are available.

All in all this park was great, but not allowing tents or certain types of RVs did knock it down a few notch simply because not everyone would be able to take advantage of this site. I was overall happy to have checked it out for my fellow travelers and maybe one day when I RV across America I will be able to visit again.

Check Out The Official Website Or Make Reservations

Peaceful and secluded

Great pad sites for RV Trailer, very private well laid out the restrooms are very clean. Reasonable cost and if you have an America the Beautiful card site is 50% off. Very little Verizon Signal if any at times. Really out of the way about 30 minutes from NTP and about 40 minutes from Tupelo.

Nice little park on the Trace

Stopped here for a night traveling through Mississippi. It is a little out of the way, but quiet. You drive down the Natches trace to get here. The sites were large enough to relax, and the neighbors were not right on top of us. Bathroom was ok, but the shower was not working when we were there. Close to Tupelo if you like Elvis.

Great campground!

The park manager and workers are so nice and accommodating! I’ve stayed in the cabins and the primitive sites and both had wonderful views of the lake. The hiking trail that loops around the water is beautiful. My dog loves it too! It’s such a great place to go relax, have fun, grill out, and make memories.

Waveland, MS

Hands down the best place we stayed at! The ocean was across the street, the campsites are spaced in a nice manner. We chose the outside (primitive) of the campground next to ocean because it was crammed inside. Showers/bathrooms were impeccable! Disc golf course was way nice. We caught crab with our hands, they were everywhere! So neat! So beautiful! So perfect! We stayed two days instead of just the one day passing thru on the road trip because it was that good! Kind staff!

Quiet

clean facilities,Friendly people

Spacious Lots & Easy Locaion

This is a campsite of 25 lots (4 accessible) with a bathhouse and friendly camp host. Located in the De Soto National Forest just north of Gulfport, MS, it’s an easily accessible campground whether you’re here to visit the Gulf or do some hiking on the many miles of trails through the park.

Dog-friendly and clean, there is a 1/2 mile nature hike within the campground.

Peaceful with a water view

Quiet, well maintained Corp of Engineers camp ground.