The best camping in
Mississippi

Camping Mississippi

Mississippi may be the birthplace of The Blues, but it’s also a camper’s paradise. With an abundance of streams, rivers—most notably the mighty Mississippi River—and miles of coastline along the Gulf of Mexico, as well as a seemingly never-ending array of national forests, parks and wildlife refuges, camping in Mississippi should be on every camping enthusiast’s bucket list.

Nicknamed “The Magnolia State” Mississippi is one of the most sought-after destinations for wildlife photographers and bird watchers alike. And if you’re a music fan, the state has a ton of terrific music festivals to plan your next camping trip around.

One of the most popular areas for camping in Mississippi is along the forests of the Natchez Trace, as the southern part of this historic trail runs right through almost the entire state.

Divided into nine sections named after nearby cities and towns, the Natchez Trace is the ideal place to explore Mississippi’s Native American history. Pharr Mounds, located on the Tishomingo-Belmont section of the Natchez Trace, is an ancient burial ground used by nomadic tribes between 100 and 1200 A.D. Another section—Donivan Slough—displays the wonders of Mississippi’s tulip poplars, sycamores and water oaks among the state’s swampy bottomlands.

If you’re an avid camper in the southeast, you’ve most likely camped in the Cumberland Mountains, a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking for a little elevation. Though Mississippi is a relatively flat state, it doesn’t mean there aren’t mountains. You just have to know where to look.

The town of Iuka, Mississippi has plenty of great camping areas and is located near historic Woodall Mountain. As the state’s highest point—a modest 806 feet—privately-owned Woodall Mountain may not compare to the Cumberland Mountains in size, but its Civil War history is legendary. And with activities such as rock climbing, hiking, canoeing and even disc golf close by, it’s a great way to get the best of all that camping in Mississippi has to offer.

So, come discover the south’s warmest welcome and see how camping in Mississippi feels like coming home.

Recent Reviews in Mississippi
nice family campground

Stayed in the primitive area and sites were well spread out. Primitive area is find your own place and set up on side of nice saltwater marsh.

Plenty of bath houses and they were all clean.

was there for a local event weekend and the place was at full capacity but never felt crowded

meh

Did not stay only rode through and walked around on scouting trip looking for a nice place to camp, just not what I was looking for.

Municipal campground next to a playground with what looked like one long time resident, bathrooms had chains and padlocks on the door due to vandalism (as per the sign).

Around a dozen tent pads with tables and BBQ pits and same amount of RV spots

Nice boat ramp across the street with Pearl River access.

Had pics but phone died, sorry

long term only and rough

This is a long term only trailer park, short term camping or tents are not allowed as per manager. Everything I saw had not moved in a long time and had "structures" added on to it.

We like this place

Been camping there for years. Some of the sites are pretty rough and in need of repair and they are working on them in stages. Nice lake and lots of woods and trails for hiking.

Very Clean and We'll Maintained

Camp there several times a year from spring through summer. Sites are spacious and level. Has easy access to the Pearl River and Ross Barnett Reservoir. Plenty of boat parking and nice boat launch. Clean restrooms and nice pool

Budget and tornado problems

EP was beautiful the first time I went. A tornado hit in about 2014, ripping up a lot of shade trees etc. Not the best campground. Sites are nicely spaced apart; however, the bathroom facilities are not very updated or well kept the times Ive been. Fishing is great out here. Beautiful lake. I love to kayak here. The docks are well kept to fish off of. Very busy with boating during the summer. Camping is very low cost but definitely not the highest end park! I know a lot of parks just don’t have the budget to update and I believe this is the case with EP campground.

Well rounded campground

Ill start with amenities. The bathrooms are nice and clean. Little dated externally but regularly cleaned. A lot to do in the park! Hiking, fishing, kayak/canoeing, swimming, and disc golf. The park rents kayaks and canoes. Reservations recommended. The campsites are decent. They have primitive or water/electric. We always opt for the RV sites. Bring ant spray! Major ant problems every time we have camped here! One of my favorite “local to me” campgrounds! Would get 5 stars if the would mow more frequently. Grass areas always seem to need to be mowed when we go! Pool is well kept and clean. Fun disc golf course. Beautiful, rustic cabins are an option here as well. Hiking is a must here. Numerous trails from novice to difficult.

Wrong location

There is no campground near the spot on map. There is a swinging bridge in Byram Ms about 15 or 20 miles south of this spot that may have a campground

Beautiful with gorgeous trails and lots to do

Stayed for one night in an RV. Single female traveler with one dog. We hiked all the trails and they were well manicured and followed a frisbee golf course. They have full hookups and back in spots. I went in August and there were many vacancies. I stayed as a stop between destinations but could’ve easily made a trip out of the park itself. There were picnic tables, lots of trees, paved roads. I made reservations through reserve america. There was a camp host to answer questions .

Wonderful Halloween park

My wife and I have only camped here once. It won’t be the last time, but we were invited to the halloween get to gether at the park . And we had no idea it was such a big deal. But we drove down and visited and hung around for the festivities and boy was it worth it. Every camp site had wonderful decorations and the kids had such a blast. It was awesome. And the rest of the year it is a quiet getaway.

Great camping location

Spent the weekend camping at one of the improved sites with water on site. Site had picnic table, fire pit, and plenty of room for tents and your camp set-up. Our site had a great view of the creek and was a little more tucked away but right by the bathrooms. Trails are throughout the area, couple of fishing spots, lots of picnic areas with grills and a playground. The place was not very crowded and the US Forest Service ranger (Virginia) was very kind and helpful. We hiked some of Richardson Creek Trail, but decided to turn around because it was overgrown at points and we found ticks on our dog. Otherwise, it was a beautiful walk through the woods. Several large banana spiders set up along the way so keep an eye out! Also, the county is supposed to be under a fire burn until the end of October.

Convenient and clean

We have camped the last 2 years for the local half Ironman race (Deep South Triathlon) and it’s more than just convenient, it’s perfect for what we want. This campground is right on the reservoir, but immediately near any restaurant, grocery, event space you want.

You can just roll in, find a spot and let the office know you’re there, or better yet, reserve a spot and make sure there is room for you. The sites are clean, level and I believe they all have hookups up to 50amp.

Do t camp here

Used to live in the area. Floods, and is visited by people who are usually up to no good. Completely abandoned and overgrown. Good to see for a day, probably not good to sleep at.

Huge Park with Tons of Amenities

This park is giant! There are probably over 200 sites for camping in this park with beachfront sites and even primitive drive up sites for tent camping back in the woods. The park has 2 shower areas and 4 bathrooms on site as well as multiple playgrounds for the kiddos and even a water park! It is located directly across the street from the Gulf of Mexico and has its own private beach. I stayed in the primitive camping sites for 2 nights because all other sites were reserved for the weekend and it was great. No electric hookup or water but the sites are privately tucked away in the woods and only cost 15$ per night. If you want, you can stay beachfront for 48$ and I believe the regular sites with hookups and water are around $30 per night. The park itself is very well maintained and has ice and drinks for sale in the front office. The employees are extremely nice and helpful and will even tell you about fun things to do in town while you’re there. Definitely the biggest and one of the nicest campgrounds/state parks I’ve stayed in. Worth the trip!

OVERNIGHT

Stopped here for one night on my way East. Average campground peaceful and quiet. Bathroom could use updating.

Excellent campground

We camped here Sept. 20-22 while we were in town to volunteer at the Sanderson Farms PGA golf tournament. I was very impressed with the amenities such as the laundry room, pool and bath house. The bath house was very clean and has private showers. The staff was very helpful. It is located right on the Ross Barnett Reservoir so it is a beautiful area. If you need anything, there is a Kroger grocery store right across the street from the campground. I was very satisfied and will stay there again for future tournaments.

“Literally lake front camping!”

Davis Lake Recreation Area is situated just 4 miles from the Natchez Trace Parkway. The campground is adjacent to the Eastern shore of the 200 acre Davis Lake. 14 sites are right on the lake front offering spectacular sun rises and evening sun sets, The lake is known to anglers, and wildlife and birds are a given…we had a Great Blue Heron"friend" during our entire stay. The sites were level, paved, and all had nice spacing, picnic tables, fire pits and well cared for electric service (50 amp) and water. Bathhouses were clean and laundry was available. Dump Station. Plenty of historic places to visit in the area and groceries are available in Houlka just 4 miles away. We visited in late September with only 6 sites in use…felt like we had the place to ourselves…and being located in the Tombigbee National Forest there was no light pollution making the night sky a spectacular sight to see.

Great campout

Nice quiet campground. Very clean facilities. Well maintained state park and a very friendly and welcoming staff. Lots for everyone, young and old.

Great for kayak and canoe

We kayaked the long leg of the Strong River from here. Excellent kayaking. The campground was extremely crowded/ showers were old and dirty but overall it was a good experience.

Sept 2019

This is a great small park. It's older, not many hook up sites. Ranger was friendly Uses an iron ranger. The park is used and for the most part the patrons do their due diligence. Has several trails

Very nice

Nice and clean. Well kept. Plenty of shady spots with lake views very quiet also. Will be back

Favorite campsite yet!

This place was so much fun and by far my favorite I've been to yet. Lots to do for everyone. They have a large pool and instead of a cement deck it's surrounded by sand so you can put up your pop up tent and chairs and enjoy. It's a huge wooded area with lots of wildlife. I was a huge fan of watching the deer and pigs. They have a volleyball net, horse shoes, bean bag toss and fishing. There were daily activities for the kids. Spacious shaded campsites. Not all are paved and you do pay extra for those that are so of that's important to you be on the look out. They do have a small store on sure but it's very little so make sure you have what you need before you go.

Clean and very friendly host. It's right in Biloxi and outside the base.

You need you military ID card only once, and that's to check in. It's located just outside of the base and the VA. It's clean, lots of space between each concrete slab, and the host is very friendly. We go there every winter.

Loved it

Awesome place clean bathroom

Clean

Clean campground with pull through and back-in spots. Saw some really big rigs that fit just fine. They have shower house and laundry. Full hookups. Cheap!

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Chewalla Lake Recreation Area

Campground Review: We live about an hour away from here, so we decided to finally check this place out! I am so glad we finally gave it a chance! The park/recreation area is rustic and not overcrowded. There is a boat ramp and fishing pier for the fishermen/water lovers. At the end of the road, you can find another parking area with day use bathroom. There is a paved trail that passes by a picnic pavilion and playground. The path leads you to a partially covered bridge that crosses over to an island with a picnic table. Lots of people were out fishing and picnicking with their families for the day. The campground seems to be slowly going through some upgrades! That’s always great news! The first couple of sites on your right have fresh gravel, while other sites are still in great shape, but are a little more rustic. Some sites have electric and water hook ups. Each site is clearly marked electric/non electric on the reservation website. We really liked it here and look forward to coming back.

Product Review: Ice Mule Cooler– The Jaunt: This is a great day use cooler! I chose the smaller“Jaunt” style because it has backpack straps, so I can tote it along hands free! While we didn’t use it for our food at the campground due to it’s smaller size, it was perfect to pack up a few drinks to carry over to the lake to go fishing. There is a front zipper pocket that is perfect for my ID and cellphone. I loaded 3 canned drinks and 3 bottled waters plus a small snack and filled it with enough ice to keep the drinks cold. I was able to wear it like a backpack and still carry my fishing bucket and fishing poles without feeling like I was overloaded. The size is also perfect to strap it onto a kayak or stand up paddle board so that you have access to cold drinks/food while out on the water! I love the ice mule and can’t wait to order one of the larger styles!

Great location

We recently stayed in a cabin with 4 kids. This campground was perfect. The girls enjoyed being able to play outside and the pool. The scenery was gorgeous as well.

I liked that it was close to Biloxi/Ocean Springs but it is off the beaten path and peaceful. It was great with the kids because the cabin has everything we could need and we didn’t have to go out to eat for meals. We could enjoy just hanging out.

The cabins are slightly dated but very clean. The staff was friendly and so were other campers. We will definitely be back to stay again in the future.

Could be better

It’s location in proximity to Tupelo is awesome. The showers are nice and clean. 90% of the sites are shaded. The price is high. Especially for a place that can’t keep the WiFi active.

Family vacation

We have traveled here 2 times to vacation. We stayed a week in one of the cabins at the park. The park is beautiful from the swing bridge, rock formations and lake. There are also plenty of outdoor activities to do… Hiking, Frisbee golf, fishing and sight-seeing. We truly enjoyed our stay.

Amazing First Trip

This campground was an amazing experience for me and my buddy on our first tent camping trip. The primitive camping spot was secluded but not too far from necessities being water and restrooms. The staff was helpful and informative as we were inexperienced in the adventure. All in all this was a site to remember getting to see the sunset on the lake.