THE BEST CAMPING IN
Mississippi
Camping Mississippi

Mississippi may be the birthplace of The Blues, but it’s also a camper’s paradise. With an abundance of streams, rivers—most notably the mighty Mississippi River—and miles of coastline along the Gulf of Mexico, as well as a seemingly never-ending array of national forests, parks and wildlife refuges, camping in Mississippi should be on every camping enthusiast’s bucket list.

Nicknamed “The Magnolia State” Mississippi is one of the most sought-after destinations for wildlife photographers and bird watchers alike. And if you’re a music fan, the state has a ton of terrific music festivals to plan your next camping trip around.

One of the most popular areas for camping in Mississippi is along the forests of the Natchez Trace, as the southern part of this historic trail runs right through almost the entire state.

Divided into nine sections named after nearby cities and towns, the Natchez Trace is the ideal place to explore Mississippi’s Native American history. Pharr Mounds, located on the Tishomingo-Belmont section of the Natchez Trace, is an ancient burial ground used by nomadic tribes between 100 and 1200 A.D. Another section—Donivan Slough—displays the wonders of Mississippi’s tulip poplars, sycamores and water oaks among the state’s swampy bottomlands.

If you’re an avid camper in the southeast, you’ve most likely camped in the Cumberland Mountains, a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking for a little elevation. Though Mississippi is a relatively flat state, it doesn’t mean there aren’t mountains. You just have to know where to look.

The town of Iuka, Mississippi has plenty of great camping areas and is located near historic Woodall Mountain. As the state’s highest point—a modest 806 feet—privately-owned Woodall Mountain may not compare to the Cumberland Mountains in size, but its Civil War history is legendary. And with activities such as rock climbing, hiking, canoeing and even disc golf close by, it’s a great way to get the best of all that camping in Mississippi has to offer.

So, come discover the south’s warmest welcome and see how camping in Mississippi feels like coming home.

Recent Reviews in Mississippi
Huge Park with Tons of Amenities

This park is giant! There are probably over 200 sites for camping in this park with beachfront sites and even primitive drive up sites for tent camping back in the woods. The park has 2 shower areas and 4 bathrooms on site as well as multiple playgrounds for the kiddos and even a water park! It is located directly across the street from the Gulf of Mexico and has its own private beach. I stayed in the primitive camping sites for 2 nights because all other sites were reserved for the weekend and it was great. No electric hookup or water but the sites are privately tucked away in the woods and only cost 15$ per night. If you want, you can stay beachfront for 48$ and I believe the regular sites with hookups and water are around $30 per night. The park itself is very well maintained and has ice and drinks for sale in the front office. The employees are extremely nice and helpful and will even tell you about fun things to do in town while you’re there. Definitely the biggest and one of the nicest campgrounds/state parks I’ve stayed in. Worth the trip!

OVERNIGHT

Stopped here for one night on my way East. Average campground peaceful and quiet. Bathroom could use updating.

Excellent campground

We camped here Sept. 20-22 while we were in town to volunteer at the Sanderson Farms PGA golf tournament. I was very impressed with the amenities such as the laundry room, pool and bath house. The bath house was very clean and has private showers. The staff was very helpful. It is located right on the Ross Barnett Reservoir so it is a beautiful area. If you need anything, there is a Kroger grocery store right across the street from the campground. I was very satisfied and will stay there again for future tournaments.

“Literally lake front camping!”

Davis Lake Recreation Area is situated just 4 miles from the Natchez Trace Parkway. The campground is adjacent to the Eastern shore of the 200 acre Davis Lake. 14 sites are right on the lake front offering spectacular sun rises and evening sun sets, The lake is known to anglers, and wildlife and birds are a given…we had a Great Blue Heron"friend" during our entire stay. The sites were level, paved, and all had nice spacing, picnic tables, fire pits and well cared for electric service (50 amp) and water. Bathhouses were clean and laundry was available. Dump Station. Plenty of historic places to visit in the area and groceries are available in Houlka just 4 miles away. We visited in late September with only 6 sites in use…felt like we had the place to ourselves…and being located in the Tombigbee National Forest there was no light pollution making the night sky a spectacular sight to see.

Great campout

Nice quiet campground. Very clean facilities. Well maintained state park and a very friendly and welcoming staff. Lots for everyone, young and old.

Great for kayak and canoe

We kayaked the long leg of the Strong River from here. Excellent kayaking. The campground was extremely crowded/ showers were old and dirty but overall it was a good experience.

Sept 2019

This is a great small park. It's older, not many hook up sites. Ranger was friendly Uses an iron ranger. The park is used and for the most part the patrons do their due diligence. Has several trails

Very nice

Nice and clean. Well kept. Plenty of shady spots with lake views very quiet also. Will be back

Favorite campsite yet!

This place was so much fun and by far my favorite I've been to yet. Lots to do for everyone. They have a large pool and instead of a cement deck it's surrounded by sand so you can put up your pop up tent and chairs and enjoy. It's a huge wooded area with lots of wildlife. I was a huge fan of watching the deer and pigs. They have a volleyball net, horse shoes, bean bag toss and fishing. There were daily activities for the kids. Spacious shaded campsites. Not all are paved and you do pay extra for those that are so of that's important to you be on the look out. They do have a small store on sure but it's very little so make sure you have what you need before you go.

Clean and very friendly host. It's right in Biloxi and outside the base.

You need you military ID card only once, and that's to check in. It's located just outside of the base and the VA. It's clean, lots of space between each concrete slab, and the host is very friendly. We go there every winter.

Loved it

Awesome place clean bathroom

Clean

Clean campground with pull through and back-in spots. Saw some really big rigs that fit just fine. They have shower house and laundry. Full hookups. Cheap!

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Chewalla Lake Recreation Area

Campground Review: We live about an hour away from here, so we decided to finally check this place out! I am so glad we finally gave it a chance! The park/recreation area is rustic and not overcrowded. There is a boat ramp and fishing pier for the fishermen/water lovers. At the end of the road, you can find another parking area with day use bathroom. There is a paved trail that passes by a picnic pavilion and playground. The path leads you to a partially covered bridge that crosses over to an island with a picnic table. Lots of people were out fishing and picnicking with their families for the day. The campground seems to be slowly going through some upgrades! That’s always great news! The first couple of sites on your right have fresh gravel, while other sites are still in great shape, but are a little more rustic. Some sites have electric and water hook ups. Each site is clearly marked electric/non electric on the reservation website. We really liked it here and look forward to coming back.

Product Review: Ice Mule Cooler– The Jaunt: This is a great day use cooler! I chose the smaller“Jaunt” style because it has backpack straps, so I can tote it along hands free! While we didn’t use it for our food at the campground due to it’s smaller size, it was perfect to pack up a few drinks to carry over to the lake to go fishing. There is a front zipper pocket that is perfect for my ID and cellphone. I loaded 3 canned drinks and 3 bottled waters plus a small snack and filled it with enough ice to keep the drinks cold. I was able to wear it like a backpack and still carry my fishing bucket and fishing poles without feeling like I was overloaded. The size is also perfect to strap it onto a kayak or stand up paddle board so that you have access to cold drinks/food while out on the water! I love the ice mule and can’t wait to order one of the larger styles!

Great location

We recently stayed in a cabin with 4 kids. This campground was perfect. The girls enjoyed being able to play outside and the pool. The scenery was gorgeous as well.

I liked that it was close to Biloxi/Ocean Springs but it is off the beaten path and peaceful. It was great with the kids because the cabin has everything we could need and we didn’t have to go out to eat for meals. We could enjoy just hanging out.

The cabins are slightly dated but very clean. The staff was friendly and so were other campers. We will definitely be back to stay again in the future.

Could be better

It’s location in proximity to Tupelo is awesome. The showers are nice and clean. 90% of the sites are shaded. The price is high. Especially for a place that can’t keep the WiFi active.

Family vacation

We have traveled here 2 times to vacation. We stayed a week in one of the cabins at the park. The park is beautiful from the swing bridge, rock formations and lake. There are also plenty of outdoor activities to do… Hiking, Frisbee golf, fishing and sight-seeing. We truly enjoyed our stay.

Amazing First Trip

This campground was an amazing experience for me and my buddy on our first tent camping trip. The primitive camping spot was secluded but not too far from necessities being water and restrooms. The staff was helpful and informative as we were inexperienced in the adventure. All in all this was a site to remember getting to see the sunset on the lake.

Not my kind of campground

First, it was impossible to find it. Took about two hours. My gps had me get off highway at wrong exit and then I didn’t know which intersection of 7 and 4 the campground was at. There are two. The area is really pretty, but I didn’t stay the night and just gave up my reservation. There was a sign out front saying that payment was required in the folder at the front but I payed online. That already confused me. No gate, no person at the front. Didn’t seem like the safest area to me either. I was driving trying to find my campsite and then I started itching. A mosquito had gotten in in that 30 seconds I had the window down. Campsite was basically dirt with gullies on the side so it was hard to back out. Trash all near table and fire pit. Swarms of bugs were already attacking my car before I could even stop. I didn’t even walk in the bathrooms to see what they were like. Might be good for day use because the trails looked nice from the road.

Great campground in a big city

We stopped here for just an over night stay as we passed through. Didn't expect much being that it's a state park in the middle of a big city. We were wrong! Very cool campground, great facilities and lots to do right in the area. Never figured we would say let's come back but since we didn't get any time to really check it out we would like to return!

Nice, quiet campground

Campground was great and had hot showers free to both primitive site($7) and hookup site ($20) campers. The lake was gorgeous with a winding, unpaved bike trail that was really fun on mountain bikes! We didn’t try, but I bet fishing would be great here.

The only problem we had was the trash leftover by the previous campers. The fire pit was full of half-burnt garbage. Pick up after yourselves people!

Overall very quiet, peaceful Thursday night.

Clean and Quiet

Spacious sites with enough room between them to not feel crowded. multiple bathhouses spread around the campground the were very clean. many sites have a decent view of the lake. lake level was up so not much of the swim beach was exposed. day use picnic areas everywhere.

Nice Campground

Nice campground with lots to do. Easy access to a lot of different amenities around.

We asked for our money back

We originally planned to stay 2 nights but after seeing the extremely cluttered and somewhat dirty office we decided to stay and paid for 1 night. We were directed to our campsite only to find that the sites are extremely narrow and close together. If your RV has opposing slides you probably won’t fit. The campground appeared to be filled with full time old units that were not kept in the best condition. The utilities were not in the best condition and we were afraid to connect to the power. We ended up not even setting up and instead went back and asked for a refund.

Good place to stay if you want to see the sites in Vicksburg

Of the 3 campgrounds in the Vicksburg area that we viewed, Ameristar RV Resort park was the best.

The lady in the cg office was pleasant and helpful. Gave us a discount for being a Good Sam member. The office is only open from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. & the pool closes when the office does. You can check in at the hotel front desk after hours. There is shuttle service to the casino and they will pick you up and drop you off at your site.

The sites are all pull-thru and full hookup,  but most are fairly unlevel. Cable tv is available at each site.

The bathrooms and showers are clean and modern. There is no bench to put your things on, but hooks and a towel bar are available. There is also a clean and modern laundry room.  Wifi is available at the office.

There is a short steep grade getting down to the cg.

Avoid at all costs as it looks like it lost the battle

I would give this campground less than 1 star if possible.  We did not stay here, but drove through the campground on 8-4-2019.
The campground and motel appear to cater to those who would otherwise be homeless. The RV's that are in the cg are old, dilapidated with blue tarps on some of the roofs and junk and garbage outside many of the RV's. The sites are small and the hookups are questionable.

It is sad that this cg that is so close to the Battlefield is in such a state of disrepair.

Large sites and a blast

We stayed in the back p section so a golf cart was necessary (rented there). The front lagoon was cold but fun. Used their services to go tubing down the river and it was a great section of the river to tube in. Went to back corner to see pigs and deer, fed deer from our hand, amazing experience. The sites were large and shady and level

Nature

Extra cost for wavepool and slides up front and pool. Lots of trees and shade, paved roads for kids to ride bikes, large playground area, some short hiking trails

Adult friendly

Campground is pretty basic but convenient to casino so not really kid friendly, you can use hotel pool and lazy river

Great campground

Very clean sites and well maintained. So much outdoor activities to do. Great place to camp. Friendly staff.

Nice and quiet

Older state park that could use some TLC, but it was peaceful and quiet. The bathrooms were clean and stocked. We were only able to spend a little time at the lake as we were in the area for a family gathering, in New Albany, so spent the bulk of our weekend away from the park. Friendly front gate staff. We would definitely stay here again.