The best BOAT IN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Kidwell Camping Reviews
Clean trails and beach

The lake offers great relaxation and the trails around the lake offer pretty views. Only wish that there were more trails available because it’s so beautiful in that area!!!

Wonderful Park

This park is very well groomed and most of the trails within the park had been cleared of vegetation so there was no fighting through the weeds. There are a number of good hikes within the park. We were there Columbus weekend and it was hopping but everyone quieted by 10.

Not too impressed

Just stayed here for one night with our 5th wheel when traveling home. I wasn’t too impressed. I thought it was expensive. The site was difficult to back into because everything was so narrow. I like to have a little bit of space when camping, but there were tent campers all around us. My surgeguard shut off the power in the evening due to high voltage. It was showing 137 volts at one time. I was not impressed and most likely won’t be back.

Gorgeous

Beautiful setting. Campground has many permanent sites. Clean and spacious.

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Salt Fork State Park is Amazing!! There is 'something for Everyone' here; from the lodge, golfing, boating, fishing, hiking, camping, trail rides, hunting, pontoon boat rides, boat and kayak rentals, primitive camping, camping with your horses, a beach, and numerous other options!! If your BRAVE enough, You can explore 3 different known areas where Bigfoot has been sighted, on numerous occasions, thru the years!!

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Park is Great, Campsites Suck!

Stayed here in the “primitive” camp. You are basically staying with your neighbors in small cleared areas where you can see everything everyone else is doing and if you have one of the sites nearer to the parking areas, you will have people walking through your campsite all day and night from the ones in the rear. From what I saw, the electric sites in the main campground aren’t much better. I mean this is a midwestern state park camping experience for sure. If you’re expecting any amount of privacy, think again.

The lake is pretty beautiful. The trails are well marked and the horse trails go on for miles and miles so if you have horses this is a great place to trail ride and if you’re a hiker who is not afraid of horses, you can always enjoy the equestrian trails for some serious mileage!

Pretty, Free, but a dirty lake

I went for an overnight camping getaway. The campsite was fairly clean, had to pickup a few wrappers. I was excited to get a spot overlooking the water, with a table and fire pit. Not a really good spot for a tent, but I was able to find a soft spot off to the side. From up on the hill looking down on the lake, it looked quite clear. I was excited to grab my canoe and jump in.

I carried my boat to the waters edge. As I was going to put my canoe into the water, I noticed some really nasty stuff in the water. It looked like human poop. I was kinda stunned, and then I noticed a lot of flies all around that particular area. So given that I decided I was not going to be canoeing or fishing.

I get it, it’s free. But I just wish people would NOT empty their RVs into the lake. Kinda ruined a good thing. Aside from that, the area was very pretty.

Everything you can want in a state park

Friendly staff bailed us out when I found that I booked the wrong site. Boat rental is pricy, but there’s lots to see, especially if you have a Big Foot fan in the group.

Other campers were friendly, but there’s also enough space if you want to be alone. The bathrooms were clean and well-maintained. No complaints at all—we’ll definitely be back.

Beautiful park, average campground

We are tent campers who look for sites with shade and privacy.  Although the campground is well-maintained and all the staff (and campers) we met were very friendly, there are very few "tent only" sites and all of the loops we saw had sites that were open, unshaded, and not very private.  The park itself, however, had much to offer, with two marinas, good hiking trails, a nice, very inexpensive golf course, pretty beaches for swimming, and boat rentals.  The park also has "primitive" sites that are several miles from the campground.  We decided not to stay there in order to be somewhat close to a bathroom and shower during hot weather, but the sites might be worth a visit for those seeking a great deal of privacy.