the dyrt
Monongahela National Forest, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Monongahela National Forest Camping Reviews
Peaceful creekside

Beautiful tent sites along the creek! I was there in late summer, but I plan to return in late spring when the rhododendrons would be in bloom. Access is by about 6 miles of dirt/rock road. There are many trails at all hiking levels.

Great camping spot if you are headed to the rocks!

I went camping here for a weekend to do some rock climbing at Seneca Rocks. The tent sites we're nice and spacious and each had a large fire pit. A bathhouse was close by and clean enough. It was easy to find our site as they are well labeled and plenty of parking too. As an added bonus, Yokum's general store is 2 minutes down the road and has just about whatever camping food you might need as well as light supplies. This location also has a stunning view of the rocks. Definitely recommend!

Great Fall Hiking

This campground offers views of the gorgeous Seneca Rocks. This campground not only has the view, but it also has everything you need for a comfortable stay: showers, flush toilets, water, and electrical hookups. Each site has a tent pad, fire pit, and picnic table. This is a large campground but can fill up quickly, they do have walk in campgrounds that you are not able to reserve. The campsites do vary in price so be weary cause they can range from $17 a night all the way up to $36 a night. They also have a dumping station which is nice for those in RVs.

Seneca rocks is usually the main attraction at this location with 900 feet of rock sticking out of a mountain. You can hike up to the rocks, take horses, or even do guided rock climbing up to their peak. If you aren’t up to doing any of those, the fishing around there is also super popular among fly fishermen- it is mainly catch and release.

Waterfalls of Fun

This campground has plenty to offer for the whole family. The privacy of each site varies, on the weekends it is very busy though. There are 88 campsites with electrical hookups, picnic tables, and fire ring. There are 2 sites with primitive campgrounds. They only allow one tent or trailer on a site. The campground has 4 bathhouses that are centrally localized, it contains flush toilets, hot showers, water spigots, and coin laundry. Dogs are allowed on a leash.

This park has lots of hiking trails, waterfalls, biking, fishing, and horseback riding. The park has a total of 4 waterfalls to explore. They have basketball, tennis, and volleyball courts, and a pool for campers to enjoy. They also have cabins to rent if you are not feeling up to camping.

Perfect in All Seasons

Spruce Knob is the highest point in West Virginia and offers great views. You can drive all the way up to the summit and hike around the small loop trail that leads to the observation tower and then to a small wooden look-out on the far side of the loop. The trail is only a ½ mile and well worth the drive. There is a picnic shelter that has picnic tables, no running water, but there is a pit toilet.

We camped off the Huckleberry Trail, which has lots of camping spots off the trail. The forest is silent and beautiful, looks like it belongs out west in the PNW. The moss-covered ground and rocks make it the perfect oasis for a weekend trip. You can even backpack the trail as it leads down the mountain. This is a must see any time of the year!

Beautiful lake, large sites

It’s out of the way but the roads are good and it’s worth the trip. Huge sites, nice bathrooms, hot water, beautiful lake.

Rustic and beautiful

This is getting back to nature! I love it here! Campsites are rustic and not on top of each other. It gets darker than dark and the stars go on forever….

Great place!

First, middle of summer, no big issue! Was a stopover trip on our way to Pigeon Forge. nice canmpground and pool. Very close to Natural Bridge.

Unspoiled Beauty

This campground is not full of luxuries, but it is full of beautiful forest. It's very close to the lake, and Spruce Knob peak is accessible via trails (an approximately 8-mile hike), or by gravel road. Unfortunately, we were not blessed with good weather while there, so we drove to the parking area near the peak, and to the Lake. There is potable water available, and vault toilets. The toilets were actually pretty clean, as far as vault toilets go. The caretaker, Mike, is a very interesting, congenial, and resourceful individual. Spruce Knob area has some of the darkest skies in the Eastern U.S., and we went there with the hope of some astrophotography. Mother Nature intervened, but regardless, we enjoyed our stay at the Spruce Knob Lake campground. I would highly recommend this beautiful place to anyone who doesn't mind the lack of showers, etc. The drive to get to the campground is a mix of narrow paved roads, and narrow unpaved roads, but the drive is also full of stunning forest views, as like the picture I have included which I shot through the passenger side windshield while the husband was driving.

A bit expensive for no more than it was

I selected this site. because it was near Natural Bridge and all that it has to offer. There were not a lot of options in the area so I bit the bullet and paid $30 for a site for the evening. While the facility was typical of a KOA I was not entirely impressed by the overall price to amenity ratio, especially after seeing other campgrounds in Virginia along this trip and their price being so vastly different.

Let me just give a full disclosure on this…. There are tent sites which cost less here, BUT there are only 5 of them in the entire campground so if you end up there on a weekend don't count on them being open at all. I even checked just for a reference of how booked they are and even checking some 2 weeks in advance on a random week day the same results appeared, NO BOOKINGS.

During summertime I can see how this place would attract a lot of people with the pool and various options, but in my opinion that does not offset the price point. And RV sites, which are more costly looked hard to get into with larger units.

My site was even and pretty basic despite having electricity. It was just across from the deluxe cabins and close to the restroom which I liked. Everything seemed well lit at night.

This campground being my hub only I did enjoy that it was very close to the town of Lexington itself as well as Natural Bridge, which is a pretty cool site with a lot of interesting history as well.

TIPS:

• If you want a primitive site book well in advance. These are apparently quite a difficult ticket to score at this camp.
  • Call ahead about RV lengths to make sure you are booking the correct site for your size. I noticed more than a few people struggling with their units and some of this could have been avoided with proper booking.
  • Check into local sites!! There is a zoo and dinosaur area as well as the Natural Bridge, hiking and a historic downtown.
Enjoyable Campground

Bear Heaven is a really cool place. The camp ground isn’t that large, but if you can find a spot you will be sure to enjoy yourself. Right beside the camp ground is a really cool area to explore unique boulders and rock structures. You can either walk through or climb these boulders. The area has several great hiking and mountains biking trails. Just a few miles up the mountain you can go to Bickles Knob firetower and get one of the best views in the state.

absolutely beautiful

Spruce Knob Lake is one of my favorite places to visit in the area. It’s a great place to take a day trip to for fishing or site seeing. They have an awesome wooded hiking trail that goes around the entire lake approximately 1 mile long.

Very remote and quite camp ground

Laurel fork campground is a nice place to go if you are looking to get away from the busy life. It’s not a very large camp ground or heavily populated. Finding a spot shouldn’t be a problem. You are just a short drive from spruce knob lake and the sinks of gandy.

Wonderfu Campground,Cabins & Cabin Area

My family stayed in a cabin last week in this state forest and checked out the campground. Our cabin was charming and immaculate! The very large bathroom had amazing white towels all folded and hung over towel bars like a nice hotel. The kitchen was very well equipped. Each bed had sheets, a very soft wool blanket, and a quilt and nice pillows. The cabin had a fireplace for heat (free firewood) and two AC units (bedroom/living room) and a ceiling fan in the LR. The cabin area is so beautiful! While there are 14 cabins, they are spread out enough that you don’t feel like they’re too close. Most are under trees. Each cabin has a grill and a fire pit, and there at least three larger ‘community’ fire pits trough the cabin area. Our cabin and others are pet friendly!!! The only issue with the cabin was the beds. They were both very uncomfortable. One was a new fold out couch.

The campground was very wooded and seemed at first to be more like most rustic campgrounds in appearance, but it does, in fact, have electric at some sites. There are pull through sites, camper/tent sites and tent only sites. It’s beautiful, and I hope to camp there this fall!

There are many hiking trails throughout the park and a nice pool. The cabin and camping areas are pretty far from the pool area. Guests in either area would more than likely drive to the pool.

This state forest is within five minutes or so from a four lane highway (64) and several restaurants (Subway, Wendy’s, McDonald’s and a privately owned one) and gas stations. A Food Lion grocery store is about 15 minutes away in White Sulfur Springs, and there’s a hospital about 15 min away in Lewisburg, recently voted the Coolest Small Town in America! While this forest is very close to convenient amenities, we still felt away from the hustle and bustle of life.

Magnificent

Hard to access, need 4 wheel drive and GPS, good sense of direction.

Quiet and clean Campground

Nice campground that is seldom full. About ten tent sites with firepit, picnic table, clean concrete vault toilt. No running water or showers. Close to Elkins and half hour from Davis. Very nice area and primitive campsites to base your outdoor adventures from!

family friendly

good shady sites. good area for kids to ride bikes. some sites were tight fit for our tent but we still enjoyed it. took our kayaks we stayed right next to lake. good clean bathroom and campground. hosts do great job. loop C did have a few visits from a skunk but he didnt bother anyone. cell service is spotty but they do offer wifi for a small fee, but your camping…get outside and enjoy.

family friendly

great playgrounds. many memories made here. good shady sites. good my bike trail too.

A great home base for exploring Seneca Rocks

This is my go-to campground for climbing and hiking adventures at Seneca Rocks. I prefer to camp in the meadows and wake up to a misty morning view of the rocks. The sites are car-camper friendly with on-site toilets (but no showers). They are a short walk from trail heads and the local stores (the Gendarme is the place to go for great dear and guides).

Pleasant Stop for an Overnight or a Couple of Days

Picked this one off the internet for a two-night stay on our way from NC to Maine. Though Saturday night was a bit crowded, we had it to ourselves on Sunday-Monday. Decided to stay another night on our return trip and it did not disappoint. The staff is very friendly and helpful; the sites are large, though fairly open to each other. There are a couple of nice, short trails and the natural chimney formations are fascinating. Thanks to a tip from the office, a great bonus was eating at an Italian restaurant in nearby Bridgewater. Will be giving it 5-stars in an upcoming TripAdvisor review.

Beautiful area with a nice camp sight

I love the area, so beautiful. Good campsight as well. We were a bit worried about bears, but we kept all food and garbage in the car and never saw one

Small but sweet

This was a nice place to stay, Natural Bridge is a small town and not to crazy. Beautiful area but not much to do, there is a small museum and the natural bridge. You have to pay to hike and it is kind of expensive. It was nice to stay there for a night but I wouldn’t stay longer than that.

Needs Improvement

Located in a beautiful part of central Virginia, this campground gives you lots of options for sightseeing. It is definitely worth a trip to the Natural Bridge. The nearby town of Lexington has many historic buildings, and the town seems very dog-friendly. The campground is kept very clean, and the staff is very helpful. However, the sites are small and not leveled well. Although my camper is only 15’ long, I ran out of shims trying to level my rig. I watched a fifth wheeler spend two hours trying to position his rig so that it could be leveled. The store is friendly, but doesn’t stock much variety. Given the beauty of the area, I would go back, but I would insist on seeing the site before trying to set up. There is a wonderful country store (Lynne’s) close buy with great produce and meats. Be sure to check out the famous Red Hen Restaurant in Lexington.

A slice of heaven

On top of the world! This is a great place to go and explore Seneca rocks. If you were a climber or a hiker this is an epic get away

Serene with amazing views

I stayed here for 1 night. It was the perfect resting stop on my road trip to the Smoky Mountains. I stayed on campground 1 on a lake side site with access to the lake, the views from my tent were breathtaking! The campground is clean, it has shower and flushable toilets. The camp host sells firewood. The campground is quiet and provides a lot of privacy. The lake beach is within walking distance from campground 1, with picnic tables and a pavilion. There is also a small dock where you can fish. Loves this place, will definitely come back.

Great getaway

I love that we can choose a site and reserve online. Much easier than driving around to find an open spot. We stayed at the waters edge this time. It was nice and quiet, close to the bath house, water fountain and playground. Our site was nice sized and not on top of another. We had a picnic table, some shade, electric and a fire pit. There’s a boat ramp with fishing and swimming areas within the campground as well as a beach area and fishing about half mile away. The campground is clean and cared for. There’s a historical area that’s really neat and a country store with things you may have forgotten - the ice cream and pizza are great too!

We saw deer and a skunk came up to our site twice.

Great family site

I brought my boys out to camp this past weekend, and this place was perfect for our first dispersed campsite experience. The day use area is close enough to use the bathroom (just an open pit toilet, nothing fancy). The pond is stocked with trout, so small groups of fisherpeople came and went. In spite of it being a weekend, we were one of two occupied sites. There are fire rings, firewood, and enough room to pull in, pitch a large tent, (ours was a 10-person) and hang hammocks. There are also trails along the pond’s edge. we didn’t explore too in depth, so there may be more hiking available. Though you can’t swim in the lake, we did wade the stream, which was cold and clear and beautiful. We’ll be back!

Clean has many thing to do. Clean water, paddle boats wide variety of campi

Small beach head but is clean easily handycap accessible, park is cover a large area which can be hiked or driven, narrow country roads.had a fantastic time