About Stonewall Jackson State Park

Private
Stonewall Jackson State Park is located in West Virginia
8 Reviews of Stonewall Jackson State Park
Needs improvement

Cost is getting ridiculous per night. Don’t leave your site to go to bath house, you’ll likely come back to the hot coals in your fire pit cleaned out. Employees aren’t pleasant. We’ve been camping here for years, but this last time was the last for us. Wouldn’t tell us what site we were being put on - yet told a friend (could’ve been total stranger as far as they knew) exactly where their site was AND ours. They cater to everyone on resort property, EXCEPT campers.

Truly a beautiful place and peaceful but it needs improvement in various areas.

Pretty Grounds

Stonewall Jackson is very established. There are well maintained roads and facilities. Plenty of space and hookups for RVs. Not the most remote location. Wouldn’t recommend if you’re looking to get out into the great outdoors. You’ll likely see your neighbors and other RVs. Still a pretty view of the lake.

Upscale, Pristine, A Little Pricey

Stonewall Resort State Park is now the official name of this mountain retreat located around the edges of Stonewall Jackson Lake.  It's not your typical WV state park because it's managed by a private developer which means that Benchmark Management gets to set the pricing for the lodge, cabins and campgrounds.

It's not outrageous, but I paid $55/night mid-week for a 30-amp site which could run about $35/night at a state-run resort such as Pipestem.

What you get for the extra cash is a well-staffed, beautifully-maintained resort with every imaginable amenity including boating, fishing, swimming, a Palmer golf course, disc golf and tennis.  You can rent boats, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, road bikes and even segways.

I would say the Stonewall Resort Lodge is geared to upscale out-of-state tourists, but l could see locals using it for anniversaries, romantic getaways, and special occasions.

The campground is upscale, as well, with 30 and 50-amp full-service RV sites, many with lake views and some with tie-ups for those who bring their own boats.  I chose a spot under the pine trees where I was close enough to the lake's edge so I could hand-carry my kayak to the water for a peaceful paddle.

There are a limited number of tent sites, with wooden platforms, tucked into the woods where kayak or canoe access would be right outside your tent flap.  There are a half-dozen hiking trails, mostly easy to moderate difficulty, with a total of 16-miles to explore.

If you get sick of camping, or would just like to sip an adult beverage, there's a boardwalk across the lake to the lodge patio where you can sample one of three restaurants or visit the outdoor bar.

Quite possibly my favorite park.

Stonewall Jackson State Park has been one of my favorite places to visit, especially for a weekend getaway, for a very long time. It was once the best RV or “car camp” camping spot around, but it has become a fairly popular tourist resort and the noise and light from the lodge can be disruptive to those seeking nature’s peaceful separation (hence 4 stars instead of five for camping). Aside from this, the park has much to offer for just about anyone. It has everything from an Arnold Palmer golf course, to hike/bike trails, to any type of water activity possible on a lake, as well as various indoor facilities to enjoy during inclement weather.

As I grow older, I find myself spending more time at the lodge than at the campground. Inside the lodge you will find an excellent restaurant and bar, an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, spa, equipment rentals, etc.

Very nice campground and park

Stonewall is a very nice campground with full hookups. Campsites have blacktop pads to park on. Campsites are level tent sites have platforms. Has bathrooms with showers.

Resort

Stonewall is a resort with a very nice campground. The bathrooms are clean and they have nice showers. At the lodge there’s some restaurants, indoor outdoor pool, spa, you can rent kayaks to paddle around. They also have a boat that will take you on a tour of the lake. I highly recommend going to the marine to feed the carp. It’s definitely an experience.

If you want pampered...

Okay…we happened to just stop in here to give it a quick looksee as we traveled by. Yes, we were in need of good facilities…and…as is often the case when I camp/hike, impending rain loomed on the horizon. (and yes, it rained…doesn't it rain when you camp?)

First…this is really a resort campground…for big campers and RV's. However, secreted away on the bank of Stonewall Jackson Lake, in Briar Point Campground there are five token tent sites. Because of the steep terrain, they have level wooden platforms to place your tent. The platforms are pretty good size…but if I had my huge Kelty Mantra 7…it'd overhang. Fortunately, I had a small three person.

I will say…this is a resort and its posh…laid out nicely for the jetset golf/spa/business meeting type of "camper." Paved trails, wooden boardwalks across portions of the lake, trams to transport, beautiful golf course…and really nice shower house/bathrooms. Tired of campfire meals…the lodge is spectacular.

We decided to stay a night or two…mainly because we were in dire need of hot showers. It was very quiet and far enough removed from the RVers that no generator noise was heard. Did I mention how nice the showers were?

The lake was gorgeous and provided many a photo op. Resident ducks knew no shame, waddling straight up to your picnic table begging for scraps…the cads!

We settled onto tent site #5, which was positioned directly below a pioneer cemetary. Which is open to enter peruse…very sobering.

Stonewall Jackson State Park was a nice change. Should I ever hit the lotto to afford a big RV, or ever take up golf…it'd be even nicer. You'll experience no raucous behavior in this park, that's for sure.

The downside for me was the lack of nature or hiking trails…there's a lot of woodland that could be utilized for this pupose.

Nice place for a Leadership Camp

I participated and help teach a leadership camp for middle schoolers. The staff was great and the facilities were exactly what we were looking for…. We will be back again!