the dyrt
This recreation area is part of Stonewall Jackson Lake
Stonewall Jackson State Park is located in West Virginia
3 Reviews of Stonewall Jackson State Park
Resort

Stonewall is a resort with a very nice campground. The bathrooms are clean and they have nice showers. At the lodge there’s some restaurants, indoor outdoor pool, spa, you can rent kayaks to paddle around. They also have a boat that will take you on a tour of the lake. I highly recommend going to the marine to feed the carp. It’s definitely an experience.

If you want pampered...

Okay…we happened to just stop in here to give it a quick looksee as we traveled by. Yes, we were in need of good facilities…and…as is often the case when I camp/hike, impending rain loomed on the horizon. (and yes, it rained…doesn't it rain when you camp?)

First…this is really a resort campground…for big campers and RV's. However, secreted away on the bank of Stonewall Jackson Lake, in Briar Point Campground there are five token tent sites. Because of the steep terrain, they have level wooden platforms to place your tent. The platforms are pretty good size…but if I had my huge Kelty Mantra 7…it'd overhang. Fortunately, I had a small three person.

I will say…this is a resort and its posh…laid out nicely for the jetset golf/spa/business meeting type of "camper." Paved trails, wooden boardwalks across portions of the lake, trams to transport, beautiful golf course…and really nice shower house/bathrooms. Tired of campfire meals…the lodge is spectacular.

We decided to stay a night or two…mainly because we were in dire need of hot showers. It was very quiet and far enough removed from the RVers that no generator noise was heard. Did I mention how nice the showers were?

The lake was gorgeous and provided many a photo op. Resident ducks knew no shame, waddling straight up to your picnic table begging for scraps…the cads!

We settled onto tent site #5, which was positioned directly below a pioneer cemetary. Which is open to enter peruse…very sobering.

Stonewall Jackson State Park was a nice change. Should I ever hit the lotto to afford a big RV, or ever take up golf…it'd be even nicer. You'll experience no raucous behavior in this park, that's for sure.

The downside for me was the lack of nature or hiking trails…there's a lot of woodland that could be utilized for this pupose.

Nice place for a Leadership Camp

I participated and help teach a leadership camp for middle schoolers. The staff was great and the facilities were exactly what we were looking for…. We will be back again!