Parkersburg, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Parkersburg Camping Reviews
Nice Remote Campsite

Very beautiful setting! With it being a remote location, it doesn’t seem like they spray for mosquitos. We bombed our campsite the first night, but still got ate up pretty bad even with spray and citronella candles. Pit toilets only, with some having bee/wasps nest in them. They do have a place to empty your grey water, but no black water tank. It seems like some people may have dumped their black tanks into the lake, by the smell and look of it. The water station was broken at our site so we had to travel to another location to get more. No service and no electric hookup.

I know it seems these are are all negative, but just a few things to keep in mind. It is very beautiful and peaceful. I would go back, maybe in the fall with cooler temps. The trees would look pretty and it’s nice since it is free and oftentimes has open spots.

Campground is nice and quiet no cell service so dont be shocked, but that makes it that much better. Park was clean park ranger and staff were nice!

Great dump camp site

This is a great drive in campsite perfect for family and friends to get into the woods for a bit.

Great beginner to intermediate hike

A fantastic spot for beginning and intermediate backpackers! Great beautiful trails. There are some  steep sections but it’s fantastic spot for a weekend hike.

Didn’t See Any Snow

Lake Snowden is a great alternative to camping at Strouds. The lake is large and clean, with an awesome new “water park” opened during the summer. Great shelters, facilities, and optional bathrooms. Many of the sites are secluded in the woods, while others are more public RV sites. Awesome boating, fishing, and swimming activities nearby!

Needs toilets in camp area. Outhouses are gross

This park campground is nice, but lost in time. Outhouses are gross. Usable, but gross. No water hook ups, but a place to fill your tank behind water fountains. Camping is deserted pretty much on weekdays and on weekends the same people camp in the same spots a lot, probably because most spots are not level. Overall I'd give it 4 or 5 stars if they had toilets.

I'd give it 5 stars if they had toilets with water.

The park is nice but in bad need of updating. Outhouses are not appealing and sometimes the lake swimming area is closed due to bacteria from leeching. Most sites are not level. They do have electric though. Water hookup is unavailable but they have a place to fill tanks on each drinking fountain. The staff are nice and you never see them after check in. The lake is now motor accessible with no wake..idle only.

This is a beautiful campground!

Great campground. Very secluded but well taken care of!

Good time

Campsite was large. We had 5 people in 3 tents, and a pretty good size trailer with 5 kayaks loaded and still had more than enough room for everyone. Overall really enjoyable time there. We did have a guy who was in the next site over but he never bothered us. The only bad thing I have to say about the area was the “rest rooms”. Definitely need to have bug spray in hand and possibly your own TP. They were disgusting.

Secret Athens Camping

A close friend lives near this little site. I’ve always wondered what it was like, so we decided to check it out to see if it would be a nice place to camp. It’s quite overgrown and unmaintained. Not many amenities, and is near residential housing, so overall not a great place to camp around Athens. Definitely a cool walk in the woods, however.

Swimming in History

Lake Hope State Park is a cute area nestled in the foothills of Ohio. With Zaleski right next door, there are a ton of cool things to do around the area. There’s a swimming, boating, camping, hiking, backpacking, and a ton of cool historical sites to see. I would recommend getting an Ohio Lizard Map to find some cool secret sites that most don’t get to find in the area.

Great Remote Lake Camping

My family and I used to visit Burr Oak occasionally when I was young. In regards to what to do, activities center around the large lake. There’s an awesome lake with hiking, backpacking, and other forms of water recreation. Wildcat Hollow is another awesome location that is not far away. Overall is a good location, but nothing extremely special. However, there are a lot of lodges and cabins nearby.

Quiet family camping!

First come first served camping with water and pit toilets, large sites, area mostly wooded. Archery range and lots of fishing spots. Great for families with pets too! Had a great time and looking forward to our next visit this weekend! I’d give it more stars if it had a shower house or swim area! Bring your solar shower!

Our stay

We enjoying kayaking and hiking. A half hour drive to hocking hills, and many other parks. We were able to explore many things in our short weekend stay. Beautiful lily pads covered the lake, it was stunning to kayak through. Although, I wished the sites had more trees.

Very clean

Awesome campground, so well kept. Stayed here on the way home from shenandoah natl park and had a very peaceful night, definitely would recommend. Lots of hiking nearby as well, always love coming out to this part of the country

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Firebiner at Zaleski South Loop

Campground Review: With a close friend coming to visit from Spain, I wanted to show her a cool backpacking location in Southeastern Ohio. Zaleski State Forest seemed like a good choice for a new backpacker. There are multiple loops to trek, averaging about 10 miles per loop. Overall the trails are well maintained (minus a few dense areas). There was almost an excessive amount of blazes. Campsites are plentiful along the trails. We stayed at Campsite C. Each site has access to communal well-water and a restroom. Each site usually has a small fire ring and logs to sit on. Overall, the campsites were pretty decent and secluded, but nothing special view wise aside from the typical Ohio forest. I would say pretty overall, but nothing quite outstanding.

Product Review: The Banner & Oak Firebiner is a neat little tool that has some really fun features! Most notable being the fire starter. The Firebiner uses a small spark wheel and replaceable ferro rod to create sparks. The sparks are pretty large for the little tool. I now use my Firebiner to start my MSR stove quickly and with zero plastic waste! I haven’t used it to try to start a straight up fire, but friends have successfully before. Most importantly, the spark wheel is just darn right fun to play with. The device has other little uses like a bottle opener, utility blade, and screwdriver. I absolutely love this device! Only complaint would be that I wish it came in different colors, but who really cares.

Here is a link to check out the Firebiner yourself: https://bannerandoak.com/products/banner-and-oak-firebiner?variant=9696793034788&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjwnMTqBRAzEiwAEF3ndu9CmerLos5Y1yvjGHJ2L4FG732wg9bMpyPAJRa3m8dxlxffZ6Nt-RoC6LQQAvD_BwE

Always enjoy our stay

We have been staying here for 25 years and is always a delight. We usually stay about a week to attend conventions or go antiquing. Wish they still had cable. Nice wide pull thrus.

Clean facilities, quiet campground.

Zaleski backpack trail

The trail is diverse and great for beginners and experienced hikers. The campsites have privies, spigots for water, and a lot of different sites for different sized groups. Its a popular trail for a reason!

Neglected, but could be a gem

Very hard to contact them. It was sold in dec 2018, and the phone number has changed and not up to date on line. The sites are mostly grass a few concrete pads along the River.

30 amp service. The care taker was friendly. We did not use the restrooms, as he didn’t have the hot water on, and no offer was made to turn it on. We backed onto the Ohio River and could watch the barges. There is a coal fired generator on the opposite side of the river. This one is all location. 35.00 a night was overpriced for amenities.

Dirty pit toilets. Dirty sinks. Beautiful lake.

This state park has a beautiful lake and a nice beach. There are boat rentals and a frisbee golf course. Overall, this part of the park is beautiful.

The campgrounds, however, leave a lot to be desired. The people were really nice, but the facilities were terrible. The pit toilets were filthy- covered in flies, spiderwebs and dirt. They look like they have not been hosed out since the 70's. The showers and sinks are in an old, old building- it could be fine if it were cleaned daily, but it was filthy too. I was there 3 days and the showers and sinks were never cleaned. They were pretty gross from the start, but then by Saturday night one shower housed a pile of feces. No kidding. Poop in the shower.

We stayed in the camper cabin, which is just a very basic shed with a bed, bunk beds, air conditioning and heat. We stayed there because it was July and I wanted A/C and electricity. The cabin smelled like mold.

I'd go back to this lake but will not stay in the campgrounds again.

The trail horribly muddy

The campsites looked OK. Dry. No water available to filter.  Cautioned against using the water. But the trail was a cesspool of mud in too many places esp on the stetch between the trailhead and the loop.  I turned around. The trail needs to be planked, elevated or rerouted. This is on July 1. The seasonal creek beds all dry, but the muddy trail is awful especially in comparison to the hype that I read

Burr Oak Group Campground (Old Boy Scout campground)

We just had our 10th Annual EGGS Hike with the Buckeye Trail Association this past weekend at the Burr Oak Group Campground. We hosted over 60 hikers who registered for 20 mile, 40 mile, 60 mile or an 80 mile challenge in an allotted amount of time. The campground is very large with wide open space and drop toilets. There is a small shelter with electric and there are a few electric poles as well. You have to get a permit to camp there. There is an astronomy field, hiking trails and a boat dock down the road. It works great for our event!

Amazing campground away from it all!

A nice mix of electric and non electric sites in the trees. Great place to relax with family. Great for unwinding. You have to drive down to the lake to boat and swim but worth it. Every Sunday there is a brunch buffet at the Lodge. Worth the 25-40 minute wait! The camp hosts are super friendly!

Best Camping Near Athens

The go to camping location for Athens. Many campsites, trails, and amenities. Anything from boat rentals, a small store, and docks to use near the lake. Strouds also has a beach with a volley-ball net! All walking and biking distance from most of the cabins.

Great Secluded Location

Wildcat Hollow is a fantastic free camping and backpacking location. It’s quite secluded, has well established trails, and has a variety of remote campsites to choose from. There is a small shelter with bathrooms and other amenities, but not much else.

Worth a Visit but Not a Stay

We booked our non-electric tent camp site online, the pictures of the set-up of sites online do not match at all the set-up in real life.  It took us an hour and a half to find our site because we arrived later (around 8pm) and no staff was available and no maps anywhere to be found explaining the set up of the campsites.  The original site we had booked could barely fit our single little tent (it's not a fancy double or anything like that), it was on an angle and the view we had thought we were going to get of the lake was nowhere to be found.  We switched sites the next morning only to find that every other site that had a smidge of privacy was on such an incline it literally made us dizzy to hang out there for very long.  We spent one night at the new site then left and stayed at a hotel for our third and final night of vacation because it was raining and torrents of water were flowing into our tent. The beach area had multiple notices about high bacteria content and warnings for swimming at your own risk (which we can understand this happens sometimes).  The bathrooms on the campsite we stayed in were atrocious!  I've never smelled anything so bad in my life and dirty, dirty, dirty! No showers were available in the grounds we stayed at but over by the beach area there was showers available - but you had to shower super quickly, the hot water was gone before you could even get your hair washed.  We rented a Kayak to go exploring (super fun as we had not done that before! and decently priced) but the area you have to Kayak in is so small!!  The lake is not really a lake but more of a pond.  Some of the staff (especially the lady manning the main office) were super friendly and nice, some of the staff (particularly the 'maintenance' staff) were rude and ignored you when you tried to speak with them.  The trails around the campsite were absolutely breathtaking - beautiful, serene and smelled like wildflowers surprisingly because they are used as horse-riding trails so lots and lots of horse manure along the paths.  We won't be going back to this campground for many of the reasons stated above but I do recommend that you check out the trails if you choose to stay here.

Wonderful overnight spot.

Just wanted an overnight spot to clear our heads and enjoy the outdoors.  Parked our RRT in the parking lot on a Monday evening and had the place pretty much all to ourselves all night.  Clean pit toilet. Nice trails to walk. nice area to visit i'll be back againg sometime this year.

Awesome

It was wonderful for our RV and family staying in their beautiful cabins

Nice lake lookout

Nice lake lookout from lodge, smaller separate cabins are available. Lodge has good food with a view, and boat docks are available at the end of a trail behind the Lodge.