Morgantown, WEST VIRGINIA

Most Recent Morgantown Camping Reviews
Waterfalls, Trails and Long Valley Views!

Blackwater State Park, Davis, WV https://wvstateparks.com/park/blackwater-falls-state-park/

Camping anywhere in West Virginia is a highlight, but this area offers hiking views aplenty.

Most will travel by Canaan Valley State Park entrance and the back road to Dolly Sods Wilderness Area to arrive at Blackwater Falls State Park…but very worthwhile.

This campground is very popular and fills up quickly. I’ve only visited during midweek and prime sites are still difficult to find. Reservations can be made online and are recommended during peak season. Cabins are also available for rental.

The campground office is small but sites are paid for there ($23 non electric/$26 electric)… firewood and ice are available there also.

I’ve only camped in the non-electric loops (to the left). and usually along the far wood line. There are 65 sites in all, less than half offer electric.

Obviously, the biggest draw is the cascading 57ft Blackwater Falls, but there are other smaller falls (Elakala Falls) in the State Park. Trails abound with some pretty incredible long valley views. Lindy Point and Pendleton Point Overlook are two big draws. All worthwhile. Note: The walk down to the bottom of the Blackwater Falls include many steps…not handicap accessible to the lower levels.

The Trading Post by the falls is enjoyable and will satisfy your search for trinkets.

During my stays the campground has been quiet and relaxing. The centrally located restrooms/showerhouse is spartan but clean and well-stocked.

Deer meandered through the unattended Campsites two of my three stays, so it can be very quiet. Trees exist on outside perimeter sites that can be utilized for hammocking…and some inner loop sites. The sites have level grassy areas for tents…parking pads are all fairly sufficient for pop-ups or moderate-sized campers. On my visits, RV/campers were primarily in the loop to the right of the office.

The nearby town has a small grocery store and several fantastic eateries.

Near Perfect Campground

We went in late October and we arrived fairly late in the day and to our surprise someone was in the store when we got there. Campground was in great shape, the RV lots were well maintained and all the asphalt seems to have been redone recently. The bathrooms were clean and heated to a comfortable level. Showers had great pressure as well. The spots were well spaced out and pretty spacious, the site we were in had electric hookup for 50a/30a/20a but no water at the site but there was water near the bathroom area. Nice big fire pit in the center area for groups.

Awesome fall camping

Site number 12 is a pull thru that was very easy to level with a great are for my 2 year old granddaughter to enjoy. Bathhouse was very clean with hot water shower.

Nice Pennsylvania State Park

Very large park with a variety of campsites ranging from tent, 20/30 amp, 50 amp, and yurts. Price is the same for all electric sites, regardless of amperage. There is a 40-foot maximum vehicle length allowed in the campground– not a problem for our 17-foot van but the staffer who checked us in remarked that many people come in with larger rigs trying to squeeze in and are unable to. We had no problem securing a site with no reservation on a Monday evening after Labor Day. Very close to two Frank Lloyd Wright properties– Kentuck Knob and the more widely known Falling Waters. Other things to do in or near the park include whitewater rafting, rail trail biking, hiking, zip-lining and touring Laurel Caverns. The nearby town of Ohiopyle has many outfitters and several restaurants. The sites are all located on roads leading off the main road; we stayed in a 20/30amp site on Cherry Road (Site 49). It was right next to the bathroom which was good and bad. Good for proximity but bad because we could hear the hum quite clearly. Also, the door to the women’s room would hit you in the rear quite forcefully unless you held onto it (it took me three times to remember to do this)! There was a dishwashing sink in the women’s room (and I’m assuming in the men’s room?); it was very clean, but the only downside was having to do the dishes by myself! Alcohol is prohibited. Only certain areas allow pets. Only one garbage/recycling station outside of the campground. Wood and ice are available 24/7 on the honor system– very nice not to have to wait until a host is on duty to get what you need. Quiet hours 9 pm-8 am, a bit longer than most campgrounds but except for some sites with campfires still burning with people talking, it was very quiet in this campground. Surprisingly strong cell signal for being deep in the woods.

Very friendly! Wooded areas. Close to town with great art & music

Great time once again!!!  The views ❤️

Spent the day in Thomas looking at local art & antiques.  The evening in Davis eating at hellbender burritos.  Hiked some cool trails in the park and to see the falls.  I love this part of our beautiful state!  Blackwater falls SP campground is a central location to some of the best of our state. Seneca rocks, caverns, smokehole caverns and NRock adventures only 45 mins away.  Took a canopy tour with Nrocks before camping.  Awesome!!!!!

Laurel Hill State Park

Stayed:  09/21/19

Site: 222 (Non-electric)

Price:  $35

Pros:  Clean facilities, Huge park, $5 firewood, Seven Springs Downhill Bike Park

Cons:  Site was backed up to road, be aware for noise.

Great place to camp with an ATV

ATV friendly.  Trails close by. Several fishing ponds.  Close to laurel highland area attractions.

So much to do!

This Yogi Bear campground offers a large waterpark area,  large pool,  monster truck rides and many activities. You don't have to leave to find something to do, but there are also many local attractions as well. Kids love it here. Highly recommend.

Great Location

Nearby all the local attractions that laurel highlands has to offer….Youghiogheny River,  Frank Loyd Wright house, Living Treasures Animal Park,  Seven Springs,  Hidden Valley,  etc..

Indoor and outdoor pools are great.

Bingo is taken seriously here…DO NOT talk at ALL. Lol

Local Attractions are great!

Laurel Highlands campland is in a terrific location for all the local attractions. The youghiogheny river,  living treasures animal park, seven springs, hidden valley,  Frank Loyd Wright house,  etc.

The outdoor pool is large and the indoor pool is great for those rainy days.

Bingo here is SERIOUS. you will get yelled at if you talk at all. Lol.

Great peaceful campground

Just got back from a weekend stay here and it was great. If you like camping to be quiet, peaceful and simple, then you'll love this little campground. We stayed at a tent site, site #11. This campground isn't one of those busy, overcrowded, commercialized campgrounds, and that's why my husband and I loved it! The sites are a little close together but since it's so small, it's still very private. The bathrooms were clean and well kept, nothing fancy, but camping isn't about fancy accommodations. They have a pool but it was closed for the season. The lady who checked us in was very nice and escorted us to our site, and made sure we were happy with it. There are a few permanent residents on the upper loop through the campground, and also a small little motel type apartment building with residents living in it, it is actually a part of the bath and shower house. The entire weekend had about 7 spots rented out, and it was super quiet and relaxing.

The only thing I can say about this campground that made me not give it 5 stars is, the highway noise. It's located right off the highway so the traffic noise is a little loud, so it takes away from the great sounds of camping, like the crickets, frogs and fire crackling. But all in all this was a great little find and my husband and I are already talking about going back.

Very quiet after the summer!

Ranger Review: Stream2Sea Shampoo & Bodywash and Leave-In Conditioner

Campground Review:

Don’t let the name fool you, the campground is across the street from the lake and there are no lake view sites. We arrived after 6 pm on a Tuesday after Labor Day and found there were only six out of 112 sites occupied. We had the entire Delphia Loop to ourselves. Some loops allow pets and others do not. One loop (the Meshach Browning Loop) has electric hookups; the other loops do not. With so few campers, we were surprised to find the office staffed until 10 pm but this made checking in easier than self-registration. The campground is gated and you need a code to get in; this gave me pause wondering about how safe it was but there were regular ranger patrols and all was quiet. Restrooms in the Delphia loop were modern and very clean. The showers were very nice and rivaled any hotel shower I’ve had. We were told there were regular bear sightings and there were bear boxes at each site; we saw many deer but not a single bear, keeping our zero bear sightings record intact. Each site also had a fire ring, lantern hook (but you would need to be much taller than me to reach it!), and very generous sized picnic table. Alcohol, weapons, and fireworks are prohibited. No/very limited cell service. Sites in the Delphia and George Beckman loops are very quiet but some sites in the other two loops are closer to the road so you will hear road noise. The lake is open Memorial Day through Labor Day so I imagine this campground would yield a very different experience in the height of summer!

------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the awesome opportunity to review products. I'm reviewing two products from Stream2Sea because they are meant to be used together. I am hesitant to use multi-use products as generally, one or the other function is compromised. However, the Shampoo and Body Wash from Stream2Sea  was a nice surprise. Fresh scent and rinsed easily out of my hair, leaving it soft with no residue. Stream2Sea does not have a rinse-out conditioner but it is recommended that you use the leave-in conditioner. When I first used this, my hair felt a little stiff but if I used it very sparingly, this was no longer an issue. By using these two products, I was able to use one product instead of three (soap, shampoo, and rinse out conditioner). But the best thing I liked about these products was how much fuller my hair looked after blow-drying it. I don’t have much hair so anything that makes it look like I have more is a bonus in my book!

Soooo spacious!

I was the only tenter at the time of my stay; had the whole place to myself. The sites are spread far apart and wooded. Table and fire rings are at each site. They have a brand new bath house which was spotless and a well kept dog park for the furs. If desired, there is a group campsite and the use of a pavilion too. The camp store if beautiful and has everything in it should you forget something. I’ll definitely be back.

Camping and boating at its best!

Absolutely love this campground. The lake is beautiful and they offer access to the lake with their boat ramp. Very peaceful and not far from rafting and other activities

Just the spot we were looking for!

Last minute getaway with my two young kids over the holiday weekend and wanted somewhere close to Ohioplye. The nice people gave us a great spot in the woods, very private and room for the kids to explore. For $7 you can get a huge pile of nice dry wood delivered right to your site, no complaints!!

If it weren’t for the staff

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL place. I highly recommend taking advantage of the river spots. Wood is sold at the ranger station relatively cheap. Plenty of beautiful swimming spots with low current. Only complaint would be the seemingly uncaring and pretentious teenage staff. The adult staff was rather abrasive. But regardless, a BEAUTIFUL park and quality sites

Nice camping site with a wi-Fi

The rate for a tent spot is 17 and there are spot for 50,30 amps RVs The owner is a nice guy There is a near gas station

Great park for a weekend trip!

We are a big fan of WV parks! This one did not disappoint. You can do all the park has to offer in a weekend, however consider spending more time if you are headed to other attractions. The only downside the electric sites really need updated. You have to go down the wrong way (they tell you it's ok) to park or dump your tank. The loop spots are smaller than they seem so just double check w the park. Amazing trails, views and stargazing. The bath house was very clean just dated.

Nice Campground with Lake Access

My girlfriend and I stayed at tent site 21 July 26th and 27th and was a good experience overall. We both agreed that we will only camp there if this particular site is open though. It is the tent site with the most privacy and it is the only one on that side of the road which made it nice. Along with the privacy it is also was right beside a trail that went directly to the lake but it is about 200 yards downhill. We took our kayaks along but opted to drive to the boat launch instead of carrying our kayaks down the trail. It is an option though. The park staff was very friendly and the bath house was pretty clean. Our only complaint is that some of the other campers where throwing food in the woods which attracted raccoons but that isn't the campgrounds fault.

Beautiful Hike

The kids had so much fun playing in the water we didn’t have time to hike and see all of it. We spent time in Swallow Falls as well as neighboring Herrington Manor state park where they have a “beach” for swimming and boat and SUP rentals. The prices for rentals were very reasonable and the concession stand was cheap!!! 2.50 for large fries, $1 snow cones, it was nice to splurge on snacks and not drop a small fortune.

We stayed at the camp ground in swallow falls in a pop up camper. The camp ground was quiet and well maintained though it is more suitable for tents and not trailers or RV’s. The bathrooms were decent for public bathhouses, they were cleaned daily but the were outdated. I would definitely come back but maybe with a tent next time and not the trailer. The camp store had the necessities at fair prices. Firewood is sold for $4 a bundle.

We did have a pet friendly site reserved but found out after we arrived that dogs are not allowed out of the campground. In order to hike with our dog we had to access the trail just outside the state park. This would have been nice information to have before arriving with our pet. Pets are allowed within the park Labor Day through Memorial Day.

Not resort

Average campground small hilly sites..cable and internet available when working. Private membership. No sewage

Very nice

This is the nicest campground for your money. Free WiFi, pool, a few small parks and a dog run. The camp store is super nice and well stocked. The spots are level and there’s a nice pond on the property. We really enjoyed the clear night sky’s and during the day you can watch cattle play on the hillside(no bad smells!) while looking out over the hills and mountains. The bathrooms weren’t as clean as they could be, but not bad. Definitely recommend if you’re ever going through. Not a lot of restaurants or stores nearby, so keep that in mind if you’ll be there awhile.

Good not great

Nice campground, fairly quiet, smaller campsites, roads going to campsites are rocky so be careful if you have a low car.

T’was a good time!

Went to Kentuck Campground with a group of 10 of my closest friends… definitely had an absolute great time. We stayed at sites 6 & 7 which was in a cul de sac and was perfect! However our second night(out of 3) a park ranger walked into our site at about 11:30pm complaining about the noise… however none of us were loud by any means, we were actually very quiet and heard our neighbors a ton within the nights we were there. Definitely do not bring alcohol (not allowed at all), we learned the hard way and got an alcohol citation and were then evicted the next morning at 11am and we ended up going to Green Ridge in Maryland. Absolutely loved the campground though, so beautiful with a ton of shade and space!

Quads, dirt bikes and SxSs

Nice campground with full hookups and large pool. Prefect if you don’t want cell service. Lots of trails for riding. Great views. Could use some updating in some areas.

Excellent family campground

We've been camping here for years. They are family oriented and not looking for large/loud groups. They accommodate tents and RVs, and offer cabins. The staff is helpful and friendly, and so are most of the campers.

They even have entertainment and Saturday night was a fun DJ. The facilities are very clean.

We'd go back in a heartbeat.

Check in was easy and they had no problem with us arriving at almost 11pm.

They offer a game room, pool, mini golf, a full camp store, firewood, etc.

Our tent/RV site had water and electric.

Bathrooms and showers were convenient and clean.

They're convenient to area activities like hiking, biking and rafting, and not far from town.

Beautiful campground

The campsites are great and the people who come here are always really friendly, you’re bound to make some friends. Hiking here is gorgeous, and a good workout too.

Great primitive campground

If you want a good primitive camping experience this place is great. Only $10 a night and you’re supposed to only have 2 cars and 6 people at a single site but the rangers don’t really care much as long as you’re not causing trouble. There’s multiple boat ramps, and from one end of the reservoir to the other on a kayak is about 2 hours. Hiking options are endless although some are hard to spot. There are some shallow swimming holes that are nice when it’s hot. It’s a beautiful location.

Great family camping

Trails are very nicely kept and clear with maps at every intersection so getting lost is very unlikely. There’s areas for swimming and fishing and you can do non-motorized boating like kayaks and such. There’s also a lodge that has a gift shop and snack bar and areas to charge phones and they also have WiFi. A bath/shower house is provided for every site loop, including their pet loop. For kids they have a small jungle gym and critter center. Overall a very nice family camping area.

Lakeside Retreat

This campground is located in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains, so the scenery is  spectacular.  The campground has 36 sites, 10 with electric and 26 standard sites for RV or tent camping.  You also have the  option to rent one of eleven cabins, or a room at the lodge which as great views of the lake.  The campground closes in the late fall, but some cabins, and the lodge, are open year-round.

The main attraction is Tygart Lake which is ten-miles long, so it's good for boating, swimming, fishing, kayaking, etc.  The launch ramps and parking lot at Tygart Lake have been expanded recently, so there's easy access for boaters.

One sad thing about Tygart Lake:  There was lots of trash on the banks when I visited.  When I spoke to the park superintendent, he says it washes in during the rainy winter months and becomes visible when the water recedes during the summer months.  The U-S Army Corps of Engineers is responsible for the clean-up since the lake and Tygart Lake Dam are part of the local flood control efforts.  They need to do a better job of trash removal!