Burnsville Lake, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Burnsville Lake Camping Reviews
Beautiful Country

Backpacked and Camped here multiple times for both hiking and fishing. The main trail is graveled and very easily accessed. It runs along the Cranberry River with beautiful views all along the way. The River offers both stocked trout fishing along with wild trout tribs in a few places. You can pretty much camp where ever you’d like and there are also Adirondack style shelters in various spots along the trail. One thing to remember is always hang your food at night. Bears will come in and make themselves at home! Lol

Great Little Spot

Camped here a few times and also used it as a base camp for backpack fishing into the nearby tributaries. Easily accessible from the road and has well maintained campsites, each with their own fire ring. Even better that there’s ZERO cell service!👍🏻

Relaxing

Laid back and always friendly people. This was our go to for years!

Needs improvement

Cost is getting ridiculous per night. Don’t leave your site to go to bath house, you’ll likely come back to the hot coals in your fire pit cleaned out. Employees aren’t pleasant. We’ve been camping here for years, but this last time was the last for us. Wouldn’t tell us what site we were being put on - yet told a friend (could’ve been total stranger as far as they knew) exactly where their site was AND ours. They cater to everyone on resort property, EXCEPT campers.

Truly a beautiful place and peaceful but it needs improvement in various areas.

20+ years later, still remember this spot!

I camped here 20+ years ago when I (a city girl) had just started camping and I still think about how awesome this place was. One day I'll definitely get back here. It was very secluded, quiet, and well-maintained. We had fun exploring around the campground climbing the boulders, and there were tons of trails nearby, plus overlooks with beautiful views. This place helped inspire my love of camping and being outdoors.

Kayakers' Dream-- Whitewater Wonder

Tawney Farm is part of a growing trend of agrotourism in West Virginia where farmers allow visitors to camp on their land.

The proximity to the Gauley River makes this primitive campground an ideal place for kayakers to stay during the whitewater season in September and October.  That's when the meadows and hills around Tawney Farm will be filled with tent campers ready to ride the rapids.

James and Susan Tawney are the perfect hosts because they're super nice and sincerely interested in talking about their sheep farm, the history of Panther Mountain, and the best places to swim, fish and kayak on the Gauley River.

I enjoyed a couple nights of "glamping" when I stayed at the Tawney Farm "Nut House," appropriately named because James crafted it from recycled wood, including cherry, beechnut and black walnut.

The primitive cabin has electricity, a full-sized roll-away bed and a futon.  There's no bathroom or running water, so I used the clean port-a-potties and community propane-heated shower and had access to a fire pit and charcoal grill.

Great hospitality!  James prepped my fire pit with free wood and Susan made sure I had plenty of charcoal, then loaned me BBQ tools so I could grill my dinner without scorching my hands.

The Wild and Woolly Primitive Campground includes a group area where guests can cook, wash their dishes, and hangout.  There's a small store with raw wool crafts, fresh farm eggs and black walnuts, plus and a stage for live music during the peak season.

I wanted to make sure I got some nice photos of their sheep, so James and Susan brought the flock down for a closer look and encouraged some young guests to pet them.

The access road to Tawney Farm is gravel with a tree growing in the middle, so take caution at night.  The nearby roads leading to the Gauley River National Recreation Area are in good shape but a little nerve-wracking because they're so narrow there's not much room to get out of the way when you come face-to-face with tour buses shuttling paddlers to and from the Gauley River.

I checked out Mason Branch and Woods Ferry where I enjoyed some nice hiking, paddling and swimming.  Since it was summer, the kayakers I spotted were using "rubber duckies" so they could negotiate the rocky river without getting stuck.

Mason Branch has an unmarked, unmaintained trail near the parking lot where you can see a couple of nice waterfalls.  There's a trail to the left of the lower falls that takes you to a higher waterfall the locals call "Janie's Hole."  The story I heard is Janie was a young lady who died after she either fell or jumped from the top of this falls.

There's another interesting local story about the nearby Summersville Lake.  This crystal clear lake was created when an earthen dam was built that covered the small farming community of Gad with water.  My 98-year old mom says no one wanted to call it the "Gad Dam" because it sounded like they were using the Lord's name in vane, so they settled on the next closest town and named it the Summersville Dam.  Water released from this lake in the fall is what creates the world-class whitewater on the Gauley River.

Lake in the mountains

Had a amazing time camping in this are. The camp sites are neat and clean. A lot of hiking trails to choose from and fishing, boating and swimming in the lake. Good place for a weekend trip

Unspoiled beauty

Very remote. Two small circles of sites the only amenity is pit toilets. The stream is stocked with trout in the spring and fall. My wife and I spent our honeymoon here 25 years ago and plan to return there this fall. Our son was married here in the stream in waders and we all went fishing after the ceremony. Lots of memories here. Maybe you can make some too!

Pretty Grounds

Stonewall Jackson is very established. There are well maintained roads and facilities. Plenty of space and hookups for RVs. Not the most remote location. Wouldn’t recommend if you’re looking to get out into the great outdoors. You’ll likely see your neighbors and other RVs. Still a pretty view of the lake.

The great escape

If your looking for a weekend getaway or a week long rest. Look no farther. The fishing here is the best around with beautiful waterfalls like big ruff and the ducks are so colorful like no other. Been going for 3 years now and always an awesome getaway. You won’t be disappointed

Beautiful spot

We went on a weeknight in the middle of June and it was the perfect spot to start our cross country trek. We were one of two people there so we went to the other end of the campground and had complete privacy. We stayed in spot 13 it’s awesome, right on the creek. If you have a smaller vehicle use spot 16 it’s the largest and on the best part of the creek, but unfortunately there are two large boulders at the entrance of the site that made it impossible to get our large camper van down to it. Since no one was occupying it though we used it to swim! Clean bathroom and a place for trash. GREAT SPOT!

Wonderful place

There are full hookups tent sites and Electric sites. There is 2 shower houses. There is a playground and a boat dock. This campground does not take reservations first come first serve. Bakers run is a family friendly campground pets were allowed last time I was there, just remember you have to clean up after your pet. I gave 4 stars because of the road to get to the campground otherwise it would be 5 stars.

Best free camping, HANDS DOWN

Close to any store you may need, flat & comfortable sites, no bath house but potties are very convenient. Whether you're fishing, rafting, swimming or kayaking there's plenty of options here!

Nice place

Had a great time with family and friends

Awesome

It was wonderful for our RV and family staying in their beautiful cabins

Upscale, Pristine, A Little Pricey

Stonewall Resort State Park is now the official name of this mountain retreat located around the edges of Stonewall Jackson Lake.  It's not your typical WV state park because it's managed by a private developer which means that Benchmark Management gets to set the pricing for the lodge, cabins and campgrounds.

It's not outrageous, but I paid $55/night mid-week for a 30-amp site which could run about $35/night at a state-run resort such as Pipestem.

What you get for the extra cash is a well-staffed, beautifully-maintained resort with every imaginable amenity including boating, fishing, swimming, a Palmer golf course, disc golf and tennis.  You can rent boats, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, road bikes and even segways.

I would say the Stonewall Resort Lodge is geared to upscale out-of-state tourists, but l could see locals using it for anniversaries, romantic getaways, and special occasions.

The campground is upscale, as well, with 30 and 50-amp full-service RV sites, many with lake views and some with tie-ups for those who bring their own boats.  I chose a spot under the pine trees where I was close enough to the lake's edge so I could hand-carry my kayak to the water for a peaceful paddle.

There are a limited number of tent sites, with wooden platforms, tucked into the woods where kayak or canoe access would be right outside your tent flap.  There are a half-dozen hiking trails, mostly easy to moderate difficulty, with a total of 16-miles to explore.

If you get sick of camping, or would just like to sip an adult beverage, there's a boardwalk across the lake to the lodge patio where you can sample one of three restaurants or visit the outdoor bar.

Something About This Place

We love Bulltown. This is the 2nd year in a row we have stayed multiple times. Great sites on and near the lake. Bath houses are clean and well maintained and the people are friendly.

Plenty of sites

This is a big campground, but they still get you in there pretty close. You have to go into the hotel to check in. We only stayed over night, but they seemed to have several activities for the family.

Free Dispersed Camping

Loved this camping area, however the drive in was very treacherous, especially with a 30 Ft RV. Plenty of large private sites available. Expect to drive about 10 miles on a pothole ridden road either way you come in. You will not have cell phone service. The only amenities are a gravel site and possible fire ring. Very close to streams and creeks.

Quite possibly my favorite park.

Stonewall Jackson State Park has been one of my favorite places to visit, especially for a weekend getaway, for a very long time. It was once the best RV or “car camp” camping spot around, but it has become a fairly popular tourist resort and the noise and light from the lodge can be disruptive to those seeking nature’s peaceful separation (hence 4 stars instead of five for camping). Aside from this, the park has much to offer for just about anyone. It has everything from an Arnold Palmer golf course, to hike/bike trails, to any type of water activity possible on a lake, as well as various indoor facilities to enjoy during inclement weather.

As I grow older, I find myself spending more time at the lodge than at the campground. Inside the lodge you will find an excellent restaurant and bar, an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, spa, equipment rentals, etc.

It is what you make of it. Middle of no-where

There are bears.

Other campgrounds have more to offer

Nice and quiet but no amenities. The bathrooms weren’t in any where close to great shape. The sites are pretty close. The staff is really nice though.

Very nice campground and park

Stonewall is a very nice campground with full hookups. Campsites have blacktop pads to park on. Campsites are level tent sites have platforms. Has bathrooms with showers.

Resort

Stonewall is a resort with a very nice campground. The bathrooms are clean and they have nice showers. At the lodge there’s some restaurants, indoor outdoor pool, spa, you can rent kayaks to paddle around. They also have a boat that will take you on a tour of the lake. I highly recommend going to the marine to feed the carp. It’s definitely an experience.

Babbling Beauty

Pretty nice sites varying in sizes, with the largest sites capable holding 5 or 6 tents. We went in early November and we had the whole place to ourselves. Most of the sites have parking, with 3 or 4 up on a hill requiring a little leg work. I think there are 15 campsites overall

Creeks and streams cut through the campground sending everyone to seep peacefully and diffusing other noises well. I would imagine high water may close the campground so be weary in the spring.

Overall an amazing site, lots of wood for fires, 1 toilet for the campground, some sites I read said there was water accessible but we never found it and filtered river water. super serene and very peaceful place. Also close to some solid trails and the highest point in WV (Spruce Knob) isn’t far away.

Peaceful creekside

Beautiful tent sites along the creek! I was there in late summer, but I plan to return in late spring when the rhododendrons would be in bloom. Access is by about 6 miles of dirt/rock road. There are many trails at all hiking levels.

Not Great Tent Camping

This campground is mainly for RVs, tent camping here is not the best. With that being said it is one of the only campgrounds that is actually on Summersville lake which makes it nice for easy access to the lake and cliffs. It is also a super popular campground so reserve ahead of time to make sure you’re guaranteed a spot at one of the 110 campsites. They also have seven walk-in primitive camping sites that are nice but still fill up quickly on weekends. They have a bath house with flush toilets, water spigots, laundry, and a dumping station. Because this is on the lake you can dock your boat at their own docks right off of your site- which is also convenient.

While the lake does allow power boating, kayaks and paddle boarding are still very popular as this is an immense 2790-acre lake. It is one of the clearest lakes in the east, so scuba diving is also very popular here. Rock climbing is also a great use of these cliffs that surround the lake as well as cliff jumping, this is at your own risk as there are large rocks/boulders in the water below. However, you will notice most locals know where the best swimming and jumping are. Overall, great place to come and explore.

Waterfalls of Fun

This campground has plenty to offer for the whole family. The privacy of each site varies, on the weekends it is very busy though. There are 88 campsites with electrical hookups, picnic tables, and fire ring. There are 2 sites with primitive campgrounds. They only allow one tent or trailer on a site. The campground has 4 bathhouses that are centrally localized, it contains flush toilets, hot showers, water spigots, and coin laundry. Dogs are allowed on a leash.

This park has lots of hiking trails, waterfalls, biking, fishing, and horseback riding. The park has a total of 4 waterfalls to explore. They have basketball, tennis, and volleyball courts, and a pool for campers to enjoy. They also have cabins to rent if you are not feeling up to camping.

Beautiful in Every Season

This campground is deep in the woods of Buckhannon. There are 67 campsites with picnic table, fire grate, and moveable bench, 13 of these sites have electricity hookups. There are two bath houses in the campground that have hot showers, flush toilets, and coin laundry. Pets are permitted. There is an onsite dumping station as well. The outer edge of the campground has sites next to the river but be weary of low sites during rainy days as the river rises rapidly. It is $25 a night and sites can be reserved over phone, but first come-first serve basis.

There are a couple hiking trails that offer beautiful scenery and views of the river, along with the Alum Cave. It is a popular spot for fishing, also a big swimming area for those that live in the area.