About Blackwater Falls State Park
Hike In
Blackwater Falls State Park is located in West Virginia
22 Reviews of Blackwater Falls State Park
Waterfalls, Trails and Long Valley Views!

Blackwater State Park, Davis, WV https://wvstateparks.com/park/blackwater-falls-state-park/

Camping anywhere in West Virginia is a highlight, but this area offers hiking views aplenty.

Most will travel by Canaan Valley State Park entrance and the back road to Dolly Sods Wilderness Area to arrive at Blackwater Falls State Park…but very worthwhile.

This campground is very popular and fills up quickly. I’ve only visited during midweek and prime sites are still difficult to find. Reservations can be made online and are recommended during peak season. Cabins are also available for rental.

The campground office is small but sites are paid for there ($23 non electric/$26 electric)… firewood and ice are available there also.

I’ve only camped in the non-electric loops (to the left). and usually along the far wood line. There are 65 sites in all, less than half offer electric.

Obviously, the biggest draw is the cascading 57ft Blackwater Falls, but there are other smaller falls (Elakala Falls) in the State Park. Trails abound with some pretty incredible long valley views. Lindy Point and Pendleton Point Overlook are two big draws. All worthwhile. Note: The walk down to the bottom of the Blackwater Falls include many steps…not handicap accessible to the lower levels.

The Trading Post by the falls is enjoyable and will satisfy your search for trinkets.

During my stays the campground has been quiet and relaxing. The centrally located restrooms/showerhouse is spartan but clean and well-stocked.

Deer meandered through the unattended Campsites two of my three stays, so it can be very quiet. Trees exist on outside perimeter sites that can be utilized for hammocking…and some inner loop sites. The sites have level grassy areas for tents…parking pads are all fairly sufficient for pop-ups or moderate-sized campers. On my visits, RV/campers were primarily in the loop to the right of the office.

The nearby town has a small grocery store and several fantastic eateries.

Very friendly! Wooded areas. Close to town with great art & music

Great time once again!!!  The views ❤️

Spent the day in Thomas looking at local art & antiques.  The evening in Davis eating at hellbender burritos.  Hiked some cool trails in the park and to see the falls.  I love this part of our beautiful state!  Blackwater falls SP campground is a central location to some of the best of our state. Seneca rocks, caverns, smokehole caverns and NRock adventures only 45 mins away.  Took a canopy tour with Nrocks before camping.  Awesome!!!!!

Great park for a weekend trip!

We are a big fan of WV parks! This one did not disappoint. You can do all the park has to offer in a weekend, however consider spending more time if you are headed to other attractions. The only downside the electric sites really need updated. You have to go down the wrong way (they tell you it's ok) to park or dump your tank. The loop spots are smaller than they seem so just double check w the park. Amazing trails, views and stargazing. The bath house was very clean just dated.

Iconic WV Waterfall

There is dispersed camping throughout the state forest. As always, when practicing dispersed camping, ensure that you leave no trace. Stop by the visitor center to get your permit for camping.

Great views and waterfalls nearby.

This state park offers nearby hikes with great views such as vistas and waterfalls . The only complaint is that the camping area was very small. Felt like we are were camping so very close to each other. Small sites. Also the facilities I don’t think have ever been updated. Showers and toilets old.

One of the best in the state!

Had a amazing time at this campground. The sites were clean. Had drinkable water in walking distance and also public bathrooms with showers. The trails and views were amazing. Also good fishing near by. I highly recommend staying at this campsite.

So much to do and see!

Blackwater Falls State Park has been on my list for a while. We finally made the trip last weekend and had a blast! The tent campground non-electric sites were ok. They had a picnic table and a fire ring, the site was pretty level. Our site #37 was near the bathroom which was a plus with kids but did not have a lot of privacy. People were walking right through our site to get to the bathrooms, so weird! It was pretty out in the open with not sparse trees around but I did see some sites that were more secluded. Next time I would choose one of those. The bathrooms were clean, a bit outdated. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The campground was pretty full but didn’t seem crowded or noisy. Overall it was a pleasant experience, we were off doing stuff most of the time so we didn’t spend a lot of time at the campsite. There’s so much to do at this park! Multiple waterfalls, awesome hikes, a lake, a nature center for the kids, a petting zoo… the nearby towns of Davis and Thomas are very cute too with great coffee and food options. (Tip Top Coffee! Hellbender Burritos!) Highly recommend the park! Next time we’re here I’ll try to find a better site.

Electric and non-electric sites on two loops

I found the electric sites that are odd numbered to be the better sites on the outside of the loop. The even numbered sites were the inside sites of the loop and are backed by a field with the bath house in the center of it. Not much shade for those sites. The others are on the edge of the forest with nice shade. Dog friendly. Bath house is very old and dingy and does not appear very clean. I was on site 20 and it was way too close to my next door neighbor. The park itself is very nice. Lodge has a good restaurant..

One of my favorite places to go

Beautiful campground and surrounding area,

My go too !!!

This is one of my favorite places to visit!! Everything you could want to do in the great outdoors is right here !! Mountain biking hiking fishing