Wheeling, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Wheeling Camping Reviews
Perfect Weekend Getaway

Camped a long weekend for the fall festival. Campground was nice, quiet and people were friendly. Spots are roomy, with nice yard/fire space. Not all spots are full hook up, but some are. Shower houses are nice and clean. Had a lot of activities for the kids. Over all it was nice place, I would camp here again.

Everything costs extra

Austin lake offers plenty of fun with the lake.  Kayaking, inflatables,  beach,  but almost anything you want to do will cost you am additional charge. Need to use the bathhouse? Better take quarters….bc the showers are coin opperated.

It can be a fun time, just be warned it'll cost ya. $$$$

Very Clean!

Great campground, and atmosphere. Large cement RV sites. Large playground. Beautiful Lake.

Great dump camp site

This is a great drive in campsite perfect for family and friends to get into the woods for a bit.

Great beginner to intermediate hike

A fantastic spot for beginning and intermediate backpackers! Great beautiful trails. There are some  steep sections but it’s fantastic spot for a weekend hike.

Have to find the right camp spot

Went to Raccoon Creek State Park to camp for Labor Day weekend. We booked campsite F1 since we had 2 dogs and the F loop allowed dogs. This site was great! We could fit two tents and it was nice and secluded from the other sites. I recommend booking a site that is on the outside of the “loops” if you want some seclusion. The inner loop sites are right on top of each other, good for Rvs, not so much for tent camping. The bathrooms were a little bit of a hike, the next loop over, but they where clean and had flush toilets and running water along with a shower and sinks to wash dishes. There was a place to get water across from this site which was very convenient . The dog walking trails weren’t bad, but they where very up and down hill, at points steep and rocky. The spring was a really cool hike (right off the park office parking lot.) Down by the beach they had a place to buy wood, only $5 a bundle and the beach place also sells bags of ice. Overall a really good family campground!

Nice camping site with a wi-Fi

The rate for a tent spot is 17 and there are spot for 50,30 amps RVs The owner is a nice guy There is a near gas station

Quiet Campground with Private Tentsites

My girlfriend and I stayed at tent site 40 Friday August 9th and Saturday August 10th. Most of the sites were pretty private and ours was probably the most private and had a lot of space since we were on the very end of the road / cul-de-sac. I would definitely recommend this site if you like privacy but it is a longer walk to the bath house but we didn't mind that at all. The only thing I didn't like about the campground is that there is no wash tub / sink to wash your dishes which made clean up a little more of a chore. Other than that the staff were very friendly and it is overall a great campground.

Free

Well maintained campground with a handful of sites. Pit toilets. Nice fishing pond. Gun range nearby.

Quads, dirt bikes and SxSs

Nice campground with full hookups and large pool. Prefect if you don’t want cell service. Lots of trails for riding. Great views. Could use some updating in some areas.

Always enjoy our stay

We have been staying here for 25 years and is always a delight. We usually stay about a week to attend conventions or go antiquing. Wish they still had cable. Nice wide pull thrus.

Great campground.

There r a lot of things to do lot of room to roam around and great campsites. Beach clean shower and restroom houses, big lake.

Great spots

Nice to see sailboats on the lake. All new camping spots with full hookup. Grass is coming in nicely. Kids love the playgrounds and being able to bike or scoot all around. Shower house's are superb. Great fishing. Beach needs some attention.

Would definitely go back

Backpacking campground is nice. Trails are well maintained. Beautiful place. Frankfort mineral springs is amazing!

Peaceful serenity

My family and I had never gone tent camping before together, since my husband and I were kids. I have chronic pain and was terrified to go due to my difficulties. This place was amazing!

PROS:

The shower houses are individual big rooms to use that include a shower with a seat and toilet. They do also have handicap parking&camping spots right by the shower house, no smell even being 89 degrees.

They also have amazing prices for renting out a pontoon, it’s only a max 10 mph. I was able to comfortably fish for 4 hours on this. For the boats we were allowed to park down below right by the docks so I wouldn’t have to walk the hill.

When you book online it needs to be done 2 days out, from where we live (Columbus Ohio) the reception at the camp was very very hard to hear on the phone. It is easier to book online then see them at the office when you arrive, they close at 7 pm. Checkin is at 4 pm and checkout is 2pm for camp set up(you can set up sooner if no one is there)

We were lucky to get a walk up electric spot, although hilly it was beautiful! We were right by the private dock and the residents were very kind, some offered us worms or help with our fire. Even though we were by the public outhouse you could not smell anything until right by the outhouse.

You do need a special plug for the electric, we didn’t realize this and did not bring one. I was panicked at first since I needed a fan to get through the 89 degree weather in a tent but the front office has spares you can borrow! They are a lifesaver up there and so kind, if we could have tipped we would have.

We caught plenty of fish up there for all 3 of us, including my 1 st grader, all we used were worms and was surprised how much we caught.

All in all we were really happy and even convinced my parents to come up with us next year 😊

CONS:

The drive up was very hilly and lots of buggies. Be careful sometimes the road disappeared and you don’t see the buggy until right there; the road speed is 55mph but we only went between 35-45.

There is no cell service up there so be prepared, we lost it for about 20 minutes before the camp site. We have sprint. Make sure to pack a old school map so you can get around, there is a family dollar store in town, about 4 mile drive, if you forgot anything.

Most neighbors you have our yearly members, this is great for peace but limits the spots they actually have open to rent out by the lake and have electric. We were hoping to get a better spot in the future but they only have a couple of non yearly spots available even a year out.

Camping trip

Most fun I ever had while camping here!

A so-so destination

This place wasn't bad but nothing really stellar about it either.  I visited on a Tuesday in early July and stayed the night with my 9 year old son.  Literally the park was abandoned - no visitors, hardly any employees to be seen (saw one guy mowing grass, that was it), and the park office itself closed except for on the weekends. We drove down to the main area of the park to check out the old mill, canal lock, ect.  Really cool looking and quaint, but again, everything locked up so you couldn't go inside or find out much more additional info.  The creek itself is very beautiful and the campground manager I talked to said a lot of people canoe or kayak down its length to the Ohio.

Campground has limited well water and a one seater vault toilet with no sinks, showers, ect.  I stayed in spot 55 on the northern part of the campground which was pretty wooded, but not private.  All spots can see into other camps.  Small creek ran behind the end of the loop but it was mostly stagnant water which made it very buggy at night.  Overall like I said, not a bad place, but I wouldn't rush to come back unless I was on some type of canoeing trip.

Wake up and boat

Great place to camp clean lake and fun to just hang out at the camper

Not private for tent camping

I have been to Raccoon Creek many times as it is one of the closest camping places to the Pittsburgh metro area.  The park it self is large, has over 40 miles of trails, a fantastic backpacking loop setup for beginners, and a nice lake for swimming, fishing, ect.  I would give the park as a whole a 5/5 but for tent camping the campground is mediocre.  It is a really large campground with lots of adjoining loops.  We stayed in the tent loop at the back of the campground.  The area is not wooded at all and most sites look right into the sites next to them.  If you are like me and crave privacy, avoid.  The bathroom was rather dirty also.  There is a trail that leads down from the tent loop to the beach which is cool but very very steep (not for too young or old).  Overall, if you are looking to stay in a camp in this park I'd suggest doing the backpacking loop instead.  Grab your permit at the park office, park at the heritage trail lot in the southern end of the park and hike to the Pioneer shelter.  Sites 4 and 5 are amazing.  Note though that the Pioneer site does not have water so you will need to filter water from a stream on the way, though there are many opportunities.  The Sioux site is overgrown and is not worth backpacking to, though it does have a water pump and is close to the park office.

Poorly managed

Simply put, they moved us from the tent area into an RV spot because they were installing a septic tank. That's fine, but there was no advance notice and we got the last RV spot right next to the bathroom. We had people walk through our site on shortcuts to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Like most KOAs, there is little privacy to begin with as sites are right on top of each other. Since we didn't have an RVs wall or door, breakfast table meant being next to our neighbors with more people walking thru on way to shower. Again… I understand it's a KOA but this wasn't exactly proper camping.

Manager would not even listen to our request for a partial refund after we objected to being moved without notice. Compared to other KOA it was overall meh

Right next to town with big fun and wide views

I did not stay in the cabins. I tent camped. The tent areas are out past the Vue Bar and Grill. They are spread out and each has a fire ring, picnic table and fire wood is free! The people there are great, easy check in. The tent areas are spread out and there isn’t an actual road to each of the sites. I actually thought this was cool but not if its raining and you have a small car.

The best part is the Vue Bar and Grill, the food is surprisingly good. Cooked well and is large portions. There is many other things to do there as well. They have an adventure park but we didn’t make it there. Planing to go back.

Been here a few times

Has 50 amp and nice hiking trails. Oglebay comes out and has star gazing when it's in season. Clean and quiet.

Wilderness getaway

Very nice park with secluded sites. Clean restrooms and showers. Best fishing around. We visit this place often.

Southeastern Ohio

The state park is on the smaller side and a few updates are needed but, this campground was really sweet.  The updates needed bathrooms, the pads need to be slightly wider, maybe an overflow lot.  Vault type toilets, the pad was narrow so you had to pay attention when exiting the camper, most of the site are on a hill…there are a handful flatter spaces.  Now the good you can camp along with your horses.  First camp we’ve been to with horses along side of your camper.  Very cool!  The trails are mostly for all horses, humans, and snowmobiles.  With the rain we’ve had this spring (19’) trails very muddy and challenging at spots we loved it.

Absolutely stunning

A must see park the lake holds incredible fishing including some of the best Muskie fishing in the state! Campgrounds are incredible with something for everybody including primitive camping and horseman’s camping! You will see an abundance of wildlife from deer to bobcats to eagles!

Love it!

Great Lake and campground!

Great for families

We stayed at a site that was right next to the playground. The kids meet a few new friends and we enjoyed them laughing and playing. The site itself was great big enough for what we needed. Water was close and so was the bathroom. It’s close to the airport so planes would fly over head (pretty high). If that’s not your thing then you might not like the noise but me and the kids loved it. We will definitely go back.

Beautiful and affordable!

As a guy born and raised camping and being in the outdoors, I was concerned that when I married a 'city girl' she wouldn't be into camping unless our first experience was a good one. Took her and my two young kids here and had a blast! Although I reserved my site on the phone, it was not crowded at all and easily could have drove in and picked one. The site we chose was in the woods and was well maintained and quiet. When we checked in, the staff and rangers gave our kids gift bags with some cool things to do while we set up our tent. The nights were very quiet and almost no cars or even people you could hear (same as morning). The view of the lake was great - even from the woods.

Pontoons are available to rent!

The cons: there were almost no campsites available on the lake because the RV's had taken those spots for the season. There is ZERO cell phone reception (we have gone there with both ATT & Verizon) but we weren't there to play on cell phones. :)

Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures - I recommend googling this place to see pictures. They also have a website.

Wonderful

Good campground love camping here

Wont go back

Ive camp there 3 times. Everytime was a disappointment so some reason or another. They have lots of activities for kids which was nice. But every site was horrible. Either unlevel, muddy or something. The golf carts fly around at all hours with neons and loud music. Everynight is a party for all the permanent sites. The beach is stupid. The lifegaurds shut it down every half hour or so fo break instead of rotating in and out. The main life gaurd is a real piece of work. Its sad. They started to remodel it. Now you will be packed in like sardines.