Jennings Randolph Lake, WEST VIRGINIA

Camping West Virginia Jennings Randolph Lake
Most Recent Jennings Randolph Lake Camping Reviews
Awesome fall camping

Site number 12 is a pull thru that was very easy to level with a great are for my 2 year old granddaughter to enjoy. Bathhouse was very clean with hot water shower.

Nice Pennsylvania State Park

Very large park with a variety of campsites ranging from tent, 20/30 amp, 50 amp, and yurts. Price is the same for all electric sites, regardless of amperage. There is a 40-foot maximum vehicle length allowed in the campground– not a problem for our 17-foot van but the staffer who checked us in remarked that many people come in with larger rigs trying to squeeze in and are unable to. We had no problem securing a site with no reservation on a Monday evening after Labor Day. Very close to two Frank Lloyd Wright properties– Kentuck Knob and the more widely known Falling Waters. Other things to do in or near the park include whitewater rafting, rail trail biking, hiking, zip-lining and touring Laurel Caverns. The nearby town of Ohiopyle has many outfitters and several restaurants. The sites are all located on roads leading off the main road; we stayed in a 20/30amp site on Cherry Road (Site 49). It was right next to the bathroom which was good and bad. Good for proximity but bad because we could hear the hum quite clearly. Also, the door to the women’s room would hit you in the rear quite forcefully unless you held onto it (it took me three times to remember to do this)! There was a dishwashing sink in the women’s room (and I’m assuming in the men’s room?); it was very clean, but the only downside was having to do the dishes by myself! Alcohol is prohibited. Only certain areas allow pets. Only one garbage/recycling station outside of the campground. Wood and ice are available 24/7 on the honor system– very nice not to have to wait until a host is on duty to get what you need. Quiet hours 9 pm-8 am, a bit longer than most campgrounds but except for some sites with campfires still burning with people talking, it was very quiet in this campground. Surprisingly strong cell signal for being deep in the woods.

Great for families

This park is a lot of fun in warm weather with kids. The facilities are also top-notch. I couldn't get over how nice the bathrooms were! We rented mini cabins which each have electricity but no bathroom or running water. Ours had a futon, folding table, double bed and bunk beds. The office will lend you a box fan at check-in and the cabins do get stuffy.

The swimming beach and playground are absolutely beautiful! We had a great time at the nature center reptile feeding program. We also walked around the aviary, where you can see many of the birds from the outside even if it isn't open for a program. We hiked the loop around the lake, not realizing that it was over 5 miles! It also takes you right through the casino parking lot and crowded day use area at one point. If there's a drawback to this park, it's that it really doesn't feel very remote. You're basically across the lake from a big hotel and casino. But it's convenient to DC and a great place for kids and new campers!

Hidden gem

This tiny campground in the Monongahela National Forest was such a fun find! There are less than 30 sites and most have a good bit of privacy. There is one building with showers and flush toilets near the entrance, and several outhouse style toilets scattered around. My kids didn't love those so we took a lot of trips down to the bathroom building. The 1.5 mile loop trail was great and just challenging enough to be fun. The campground and trail are filled with beautiful mountain laurel. The hosts were friendly and available and the whole place seemed to be well maintained. Elkins is only a few minutes away if you need groceries or supplies. We had a great time and would definitely come back!

Small cute campground

Cute location right on the river and the C&O bike path. Would be great for through bike camping. Not much regulation. Our campsite had been taken by another family so we had to use a different one. Good for a quick camp weekend.

Almost Perfect!

Small campground perfectly located & suited for perfect traditional camping experience!

Very friendly! Wooded areas. Close to town with great art & music

Great time once again!!!  The views ❤️

Spent the day in Thomas looking at local art & antiques.  The evening in Davis eating at hellbender burritos.  Hiked some cool trails in the park and to see the falls.  I love this part of our beautiful state!  Blackwater falls SP campground is a central location to some of the best of our state. Seneca rocks, caverns, smokehole caverns and NRock adventures only 45 mins away.  Took a canopy tour with Nrocks before camping.  Awesome!!!!!

Ranger Review: Eclipse Sun Clothing at Rocky Gap State Park

Campground Review: This state park in MD is very popular in the fall for leaf peepers and this weekend was no exception. We were there the last weekend in Sept. The areas of the park that were available were pretty full. All electric sites were full. Our site 16 was spacious and private except for the pathway to the bath house but I only saw a half dozen people walking by. There are many paths from the 30 sites in the A or Ash loop to get to the bath house which was decent and clean. My sister-in-law and her husband stayed in a pull through site #15. It was extremely spacious and very private and backed up to the woods. We checked in at 8:05 on a Friday and there were 2 rangers in the office. The campground has a gate. There are loops A-I with A being all electric and pet friendly. B, C, D, and E were pet friendly with a couple electric sites but seemed to be used by hosts. Loops F through I were no dogs and no electric. There is a beach and a dog beach area which is a huge plus! The camp store was open but the Aviary and Nature center were closed for the season.  There appeared to be boat rentals but I didn't inquire. We hiked throughout and around the lake at the campground and then drove to the other end of the lake (there is a 5 mile trail around the lake) and hiked to Canyon Overlook and the dam which was very pretty. There was a scavenger hunt paper we could've used to search for objects in nature. Great for kids! There are 278 sites total with just 30 having electric hook-up. I would definitely camp there again! Hope it's a bit cooler next time. It was nearly 90!

______________________________

Product Review:

I used the Eclipse sun protection clothing for a little bit on Saturday. It was so hot I couldn't keep it on even with the side vents. I had the shawl cover up as well. I found the one size fits all poncho to be too big for me. I am small stature (5'4" and 110 lbs) so one size fits all doesn't usually fit me. I emailed a review to the company and they responded quickly that they were going to offer sized clothing in the very near future! The material was light weight and I think is as good as or better than any other sun protection clothing I've owned. I would recommend it!

Great as a stopover campground

I camp in my tent so i chose a smaller, secluded site close to the restrooms.  The restrooms were very clean and easily accessible.  I went during the week and the campground was very quiet. The owner was very nice.

Laurel Hill State Park

Stayed:  09/21/19

Site: 222 (Non-electric)

Price:  $35

Pros:  Clean facilities, Huge park, $5 firewood, Seven Springs Downhill Bike Park

Cons:  Site was backed up to road, be aware for noise.

Great place to camp with an ATV

ATV friendly.  Trails close by. Several fishing ponds.  Close to laurel highland area attractions.

So much to do!

This Yogi Bear campground offers a large waterpark area,  large pool,  monster truck rides and many activities. You don't have to leave to find something to do, but there are also many local attractions as well. Kids love it here. Highly recommend.

Great Location

Nearby all the local attractions that laurel highlands has to offer….Youghiogheny River,  Frank Loyd Wright house, Living Treasures Animal Park,  Seven Springs,  Hidden Valley,  etc..

Indoor and outdoor pools are great.

Bingo is taken seriously here…DO NOT talk at ALL. Lol

Local Attractions are great!

Laurel Highlands campland is in a terrific location for all the local attractions. The youghiogheny river,  living treasures animal park, seven springs, hidden valley,  Frank Loyd Wright house,  etc.

The outdoor pool is large and the indoor pool is great for those rainy days.

Bingo here is SERIOUS. you will get yelled at if you talk at all. Lol.

Perfect Getaway!

Beautiful campground with accommodating staff. Plenty to do for nature enthusiasts!! This was our first visit, but won’t be our last!

Very quiet after the summer!

Ranger Review: Stream2Sea Shampoo & Bodywash and Leave-In Conditioner

Campground Review:

Don’t let the name fool you, the campground is across the street from the lake and there are no lake view sites. We arrived after 6 pm on a Tuesday after Labor Day and found there were only six out of 112 sites occupied. We had the entire Delphia Loop to ourselves. Some loops allow pets and others do not. One loop (the Meshach Browning Loop) has electric hookups; the other loops do not. With so few campers, we were surprised to find the office staffed until 10 pm but this made checking in easier than self-registration. The campground is gated and you need a code to get in; this gave me pause wondering about how safe it was but there were regular ranger patrols and all was quiet. Restrooms in the Delphia loop were modern and very clean. The showers were very nice and rivaled any hotel shower I’ve had. We were told there were regular bear sightings and there were bear boxes at each site; we saw many deer but not a single bear, keeping our zero bear sightings record intact. Each site also had a fire ring, lantern hook (but you would need to be much taller than me to reach it!), and very generous sized picnic table. Alcohol, weapons, and fireworks are prohibited. No/very limited cell service. Sites in the Delphia and George Beckman loops are very quiet but some sites in the other two loops are closer to the road so you will hear road noise. The lake is open Memorial Day through Labor Day so I imagine this campground would yield a very different experience in the height of summer!

------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the awesome opportunity to review products. I'm reviewing two products from Stream2Sea because they are meant to be used together. I am hesitant to use multi-use products as generally, one or the other function is compromised. However, the Shampoo and Body Wash from Stream2Sea  was a nice surprise. Fresh scent and rinsed easily out of my hair, leaving it soft with no residue. Stream2Sea does not have a rinse-out conditioner but it is recommended that you use the leave-in conditioner. When I first used this, my hair felt a little stiff but if I used it very sparingly, this was no longer an issue. By using these two products, I was able to use one product instead of three (soap, shampoo, and rinse out conditioner). But the best thing I liked about these products was how much fuller my hair looked after blow-drying it. I don’t have much hair so anything that makes it look like I have more is a bonus in my book!

Soooo spacious!

I was the only tenter at the time of my stay; had the whole place to myself. The sites are spread far apart and wooded. Table and fire rings are at each site. They have a brand new bath house which was spotless and a well kept dog park for the furs. If desired, there is a group campsite and the use of a pavilion too. The camp store if beautiful and has everything in it should you forget something. I’ll definitely be back.

Camping and boating at its best!

Absolutely love this campground. The lake is beautiful and they offer access to the lake with their boat ramp. Very peaceful and not far from rafting and other activities

Beautiful campground .

This is a great campground with nice large sites. I can imagine if you go when the rhododendron are blooming it would be ever more beautiful . There’s great swimming hole in the park you can pay 5 to enter and swim or fish. Nice flat tent pad . Very clean with a great clean bathroom and shower house .

Just the spot we were looking for!

Last minute getaway with my two young kids over the holiday weekend and wanted somewhere close to Ohioplye. The nice people gave us a great spot in the woods, very private and room for the kids to explore. For $7 you can get a huge pile of nice dry wood delivered right to your site, no complaints!!

Loved it and trails were awesome

Electric or dry camping. Huge tent area that looked really cool. Showers were $5 for non campers. Some toilets flush some pit. Try to get there before sundown because it is VERY DARK on those roads getting there. No moon or light with several 6 and 7% grades. when you arrive there will be signs to register at the amphitheater, but park in the parking lot because the sign leads you to dead end. This area is also where the dump station is at. It costs $7 cash only at amphitheater. Firewood is $7 as well. Sites had picnic tables, fire rings, and lots of trees for privacy. Walk through the open field tent area for path to stores and that have climbing gear and snacks. Cross the road to the big open field and follow mowing path to Seneca Rocks learning center and trail heads to Seneca Rocks and a swimming hole. Don’t miss the swimming!! Even mid summer, the water was cool. Would have brought a float if I’d known. Download trail maps and driving directions prior to trip. There is no cell service for at least an hour around the campground. This goes for Verizon and Sprint. If you need cash the Yokum’s store has an ATM before coming into the campground. Great campsites and awesome hiking. Dumpster is at loop C and potable water is at loop B.

Very cool !

We've been here a few times . Originally when new owners tool over and every year it gets better. Very nice owners.

Beautiful, fun, friendly.

Beautiful place, lots of options and activities. Not a quiet retreat with the ATVs and shooting range, but lots of fun. Only drawback is price, but it's not unreasonable.

Great place to go!

Me and a few of my best buds make it out to The Cove at least two to three times a year. Laid back, spacious enough you can drink and have fun, but also spread out enough you can come with the fam and not be bothered. Awesome shooting range, Jeep trails, lake/beach and the brothers who run the place are very laid back and hospitable!

Great park for a weekend trip!

We are a big fan of WV parks! This one did not disappoint. You can do all the park has to offer in a weekend, however consider spending more time if you are headed to other attractions. The only downside the electric sites really need updated. You have to go down the wrong way (they tell you it's ok) to park or dump your tank. The loop spots are smaller than they seem so just double check w the park. Amazing trails, views and stargazing. The bath house was very clean just dated.

Almost Heaven Camping

Red Creek campground is a great place to camp. The sites are well maintained and have picnic tables and a place to hang a lantern and have fire rings. The bathrooms are pit toilets and are kept very clean. There is no water available in the campground. The pump no longer works. The view of the stars are so amazing.

All in one campground

This was our first time camping here and it will NOT be our last. This Campground had everything I wanted. Shooting range, ATV trails, fishing, hiking and great campsites. We will be back for sure!!

Seneca Rocks

Seneca Rocks is one of my favorite places to visit in WV. The discovery center offers a bounty of information on the rocks, and many local outfitters offer climbing excursions. As always, be mindful to not leave food out!!! Bears a plenty.

Nice Campground with Lake Access

My girlfriend and I stayed at tent site 21 July 26th and 27th and was a good experience overall. We both agreed that we will only camp there if this particular site is open though. It is the tent site with the most privacy and it is the only one on that side of the road which made it nice. Along with the privacy it is also was right beside a trail that went directly to the lake but it is about 200 yards downhill. We took our kayaks along but opted to drive to the boat launch instead of carrying our kayaks down the trail. It is an option though. The park staff was very friendly and the bath house was pretty clean. Our only complaint is that some of the other campers where throwing food in the woods which attracted raccoons but that isn't the campgrounds fault.

Beautiful Hike

The kids had so much fun playing in the water we didn’t have time to hike and see all of it. We spent time in Swallow Falls as well as neighboring Herrington Manor state park where they have a “beach” for swimming and boat and SUP rentals. The prices for rentals were very reasonable and the concession stand was cheap!!! 2.50 for large fries, $1 snow cones, it was nice to splurge on snacks and not drop a small fortune.

We stayed at the camp ground in swallow falls in a pop up camper. The camp ground was quiet and well maintained though it is more suitable for tents and not trailers or RV’s. The bathrooms were decent for public bathhouses, they were cleaned daily but the were outdated. I would definitely come back but maybe with a tent next time and not the trailer. The camp store had the necessities at fair prices. Firewood is sold for $4 a bundle.

We did have a pet friendly site reserved but found out after we arrived that dogs are not allowed out of the campground. In order to hike with our dog we had to access the trail just outside the state park. This would have been nice information to have before arriving with our pet. Pets are allowed within the park Labor Day through Memorial Day.