Standard (Tent/RV)
Contact
Gandy Creek Dispersed Camping is located in West Virginia
9 Reviews of Gandy Creek Dispersed Camping
Nice Area

Very nice area several nice spot right along the creek. Areas are spread out and private. Nice spot to relax and escape along creek. Drive back is well maintained dirt road.

beautiful !!

It was gorgeous and peaceful, right on the creek. So many stars!!

Campsites are first-come, first-served. We stayed one night with no permit. You get to them by a dirt road, park, and then the campsites are a little ways in. No amenities other than cleared level ground and a spot for the campfire.

Awesome dispersed sites!

A couple of friends and I traveled to the Monongahela National Forest in search of some free camping. Unfortunately we had gotten there late on Labor Day weekend so we drove pretty far in to find a campsite. All of the campsites seem to be along the river and have a fire ring. Although our neighbors were across the river from us, the sound of the river blocked out any noise they had made. It was perfect! We also took a ride up to Spruce Knob in the morning, for two reasons. One because we wanted to see the view. Two because on top of the Spruce Knob tower was the only cell reception we were able to find in order to find our way out of there.

Really cool site!

Just camped there with two of my friends this past weekend, really cool site we were lucky enough to get a site next to the river! Get there early as it’s first come first serve! That being said just park somewhere and walk 300’ from the road!

Highly recommend

These sites take a while to get to but they are awesome. Each site is secluded and creek front. We stayed at the last site with the cliff over hang and it was magical. We took our car but the roads were a bit rough and I wouldn’t recommend anything too low to the ground. Several spots along the creek are deep enough for swimming.

Stunning Primitive Roadside Site

Many of the spots were taken when we arrived, even on a Tuesday night, but about 3-4 remained. We lucked out with a very spacious site right at the creek's edge. Towering pines lined the sight, and provided a gorgeous backdrop for the stars and fireflies at night.

This site I believe was two sites down from the one at the gigantic cliff carved up by the bend in the creek. That was my top choice, as the scenery was stunning, but it was taken. Our site, though, had a hidden waterfall across the creek. If you listen, you can hear the loud falls over the normal creek sounds. I noticed it as I was collecting firewood on the opposite shore, and felt some water about 20 degrees cooler than the creek joining from the mountains. I've included a picture of this waterfall.

The fire ring was wonderful. There are no toilets, so bring your shovel. Also, the sites are so spaced out on the road that each is very private, though you see an occasional car drive by.

We hiked up the Lafe Elza trail, about a 5 minute drive down the road. It was a perfectly nice hike, with options for days worth of hiking, though we turned back after 2 hours, not having seen much to note.

Beautiful!

It’s amazing and peaceful. Plus the fishing is wonderful.

Beautiful and secluded . Great fishing and hiking !

One of my go-to places.

Free Dispersed Camping

Dispersed camping. Down a gravel road, there will be a sign that says Gander Creek Dispersed Camping as you enter the area. Sites are dispersed over about 2.5 miles. The sites ranges in size from tent capable to large RV and group sites. Sites will usually have a fire circle and you are close to the creek. You can stay for free for 14 days.

Black Friday Gift: 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift