About Kanawha State Forest
Hike In
Kanawha State Forest is located in West Virginia
14 Reviews of Kanawha State Forest
Great camp ground!

We stayed here to smoke test our new camper trailer and had a great experience! Relatively small and deep within the state forest, you'll start to wonder if you passed it by the time you get there, but keep going and you'll eventually arrive! The staff is finally, the campground well equipped, and the bath house was clean, though it could use a coat of paint inside.

Very nice park

Animal friendly staff very helpful !!

Amazing sights and family friendly

Great and peaceful environment. Multiple places to mountain bike, picnic, and camp. Shooting range, and there's hunting allowed in certain areas during the state's deer season. Roads could use some touching up, but overall a great place to be!

Close to home

I have stayed at this park numerous times, in tents and camper. The history of the area is really interesting and if you're lucky enough to talk with the park manager he'll be happy to give you a little house coal history. I've heard rumor however that the park is losing funding. Great hiking and biking trails. Loved going through the creek!

Quiet country setting close to town

Kanawha State Forest is a great place close enough to town if you need something but situated in a nice quiet country setting surrounded by a beautiful forest. Camping offers electric and water at most sites with a couple nice bathhouses. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit. There is a public pool with reasonable rates and great food, small areas to fish, a free shooting range and tons of hiking trails. There is a horse stable but we did not visit it. The kids loved wading and rafting in the creek and the playground areas.

hidden jewel

on the hill! this park was great. it was rainy so they moved us to this great spot on the hill. nice bathhouse even though not clean at the time. it is isolated with tight hairpin turn so I wouldn't recommend anything over 28'. they have a nice target range and trails

Beautiful, close to home

KSF is absolutely gorgeous! Whether you are taking a day trip for hiking or staying a few days, it is absolutely one of my favorite places to be.

By far my favorite place I've ever stayed at

Kanawha state forest campgrounds are top on my list of where I have stayed in the past. Tucked away in the middle of the mountains, surrounded by the constant reminder of wildlife around. I stayed for the very start of spring. The world was covered in the brightest green moss. The state park is not allowed to clear fallen trees unless they are in a road way or hazardous, this left many mossy green logs to lay across the mountains. This time of year was also perfect for the many overlook trails offered. Every single trail was more than what we expected. The staff members were extremely nice and accommodating. As long as you don't mind about being away from your cell reception during your stay, this place is highly recommened

June 25, 2018

Set up in drizzle around 5pm as first night of x country trip. SIte was small, narrow between road and small creek but had electrIc and water. Camp host came by and checked us in and was very nIce. Not bad for an over nIght, and a nIce walk In the woods before we left In the morning. good showers and quIet.

KSF

I enjoyed our time at KSF but wish the camp sites were ail more secluded. Firewood was a bit more expensive than I would have liked as well.