The best YURTS camping near
Kanawha Head , WEST VIRGINIA

Most Recent Kanawha Head Camping Reviews
Fantastic owners

Terrific owners, super attentive, and personal. They take the time to chat with just about everyone who visits their property. They are relentless on maintenance and have about 60 acres to mow and care for. The store onsite has just about anything you could need for your stay including firewood. The river is fantastic and holds trout and smallmouth for those that like to fish. A popular spot on the weekends and gets busy with all types of travelers from class A super rigs to very modest trailers. Ended up staying 2 weeks as the wifi service is the best we have had on the road. The majority of the site is level and grass. I will be back for the bluegrass festival in August (Pickin in Parsons).

Great Lake, beautiful lakefront sites

This is a HUGE campground. The sites on the water are lovely. They are VERY open and not wooded, but you wake up to the most beautiful sunrises, and you go to sleep to the most gorgeous sunsets. We had our boat with us, and were told that there are tie ups. There are not, there are trees to tie to and a somewhat rocky shore to beach on, so boaters beware. However, this lake is amazing to explore! Some of the most amazing rock structures and fun nooks and crannies. The campground is large, so it helps to have a vehicle. Laundry and bathroom facilities are clean and nice. I would highly recommend. It's a perfect place to boat, kayak and explore.

Large place

Large campground with four separate loops. The primitive sites are shaded and large. The RV spots are closer together. Some spots have beautiful views of the lake or forest. Golf carts are for rent at $45 a day which is fun. We never felt the need to leave the campground, however, if you forget something don’t rely on the camp store to have it. You’ll need to drive 10-15 to a nearby store.

Bath houses were cleaned very often! We had no issues with the trash as mentioned in an earlier post.

July vacation

Amazing area of WV. Great spot to start from to get anywhere. Clean warm water, busy boating weekend, quiet during the week. Awesome lookout areas. Clean bathhouse for area 4. Garbage was RANK after a week and the humidity made it so we could not be outside day or night. The road to 4 was horrendous to be pulling a camper. Had to use 4Low to creep out. It should be paved, no exceptions for that hill. A/C power was an issue. 1 camper had 30 amp breaker blow 2 days in a row and my 50 amp ran A.C. units fan but didn't cool all day. I would stay again but will explore other grounds to see more area.

Great for all types of campers

Wonderful lake, bad smells

We love summersville lake after stopping randomly on a trip down south last year. We stayed in an upper lot during the week for a night and liked it better. This year we booked a week with friends and stayed on lot four. The lake is amazing, clear and has so many visual gems that I highly suggest a visit. While I will list some negatives here , I will say we plan to go back for the lake. The campground is around 50 a night depending on some spots and we watched many RVstrailers come and go. For the business the campground is doing I would expect better bath houses. They were ok but state parks in west Virginia have had better. Gross as in they didn't look cleaned regularly, the shower heads were terrible, never looked cleaned, rusty. My stall had a used tampon in it one night. I prefer my camper shower but here is the other issue, no sewer hook up in the rv/trailer sides just water and electric. I felt as though if you stayed for more than a week they should offer a free one time honey wagon service. Let's talk garbage. We stayed up near the bathhouse and playground bc we have little ones. The garage trailer sat for more than 6 days just baking in the sun. By our 5th day we could barely stand to stay outside around our campfire the odor was so bad. As campers we are used to our fair share of smells but garbage dump isn't what we are looking for….be careful where you pick to set up.

Great access to the lake!

We were in the 200 section which has some private bigger sites. The sites are not incredibly level, so you’ll need some blocks. We enjoyed taking kayaks out on the lake and taking the dogs down to the swim area. Only giving 3 stars because there was some trash in our site when we arrived. It was some plastic silverware and metal tent stakes. Luckily I didn’t run over the tent stakes, because a flat tires are not ideal.

Beautiful, clean, friendly and attentive owners

Love this campground. Have both tent and RV camping year round.  Always enjoy a relaxing weekend there. Very clean, well cared for.

Family Friendly & Base for Outdoor Adventures

This was our first trip to Five River Campground, and we loved it! Beautiful spot on the river— only tent camping in a huge field separated us from the water. The interior was more crowded and didn’t have a view; but Joyce helped us pick a beautiful spot when we called for reservation.

Everyone was super friendly and helpful as we learn to set up our new teardrop to the full hook ups. John delivered firewood right to our site, and they texted the hours of the trading post store. Lots of happy, courteous kids and well-behaved dogs on leashes. Our pups loved it, especially swimming! We appreciated the poop bags and trash cans convos fly located around the campground. There are a ton of hikes within 30 minutes, and we checked out Douglas Falls. Next time, we’ll visit Lindy Observation deck and more of Blackwater Falls State Park. Grocery store, gas station and a family dollar all within a 5 min drive or walk.

Nature All Around

As new (to RV) camping with a nuCamp teardrop, we chose this spot for a last minute getaway! I’m so glad we did. About a 2:45 hour drive from Pittsburgh, PA the drive in on a Friday late afternoon helped decompress the pain and heaviness of our current world. So many windy (but safe) country road as we entered the campgrounds. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous pulling in to the site. I thought it would be a bit more secluded from other RVs. Many kids running around and on bikes so I was questioning our decision. However - it was just the right spot!! All of the other campers were so generous to help us navigate backing in our new Teardrop, including John, the owner. He spent plenty of time coaching us to park all the way to the do’s and don’t s of hooking up electric and sewage. His wife Joyce showed us to our space and was so warm and friendly, and helped us secure this spot when we called to ask a few questions before booking. And really, all the other campers were cheering us on when we got the little Teardrop in the best spot!! We backed up to a large field (spot 3) and had a great view of the river! I didn’t feel crowded at all!! Our two dogs swam in the river, we took a hike to Douglas Falls on the Blackwater Canyon trail and really did some necessary healing from the world here. We are grateful. And as two women traveling together, we felt included and welcomed from all the campers and owners and staff. We will go back. This is a beautiful area of our country.