Kanawha Head , WEST VIRGINIA

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Kanawha Head Camping Reviews
Great spot

Great dispersed camping area. Camped here in winter and just pulled into the first designated spot. There was snow but the fire pit was easy to dig out. Very quiet in late December and the sound of the creek was really peaceful.

Nice!

Super friendly camp host. He met us and drove us to the camp park because it was so dark. Spacious sites, and he is making amazing improvements to the park. Beautiful river setting.

Not too impressed

Just stayed here for one night with our 5th wheel when traveling home. I wasn’t too impressed. I thought it was expensive. The site was difficult to back into because everything was so narrow. I like to have a little bit of space when camping, but there were tent campers all around us. My surgeguard shut off the power in the evening due to high voltage. It was showing 137 volts at one time. I was not impressed and most likely won’t be back.

Fantastic owners

Terrific owners, super attentive, and personal. They take the time to chat with just about everyone who visits their property. They are relentless on maintenance and have about 60 acres to mow and care for. The store onsite has just about anything you could need for your stay including firewood. The river is fantastic and holds trout and smallmouth for those that like to fish. A popular spot on the weekends and gets busy with all types of travelers from class A super rigs to very modest trailers. Ended up staying 2 weeks as the wifi service is the best we have had on the road. The majority of the site is level and grass. I will be back for the bluegrass festival in August (Pickin in Parsons).

I'm giving it 5 stars but it was a disappointment

I'm sure this is an amazing campsite, but it was a little to rustic for my liking. There is no cell service within 30 miles, so for an outsider who doesn't know the area, it was difficult to find the campsite. You also better bring everything you need beforehand. There are no grocery stores anywhere near the campsite and we didn't have any food with us. The firewood is unbundled and there are no showers. We ended up not staying here because we were not prepared. It is nice that each campsite has a stone "oven" as a fire pit and a trash can on site.

Nice Area

Very nice area several nice spot right along the creek. Areas are spread out and private. Nice spot to relax and escape along creek. Drive back is well maintained dirt road.

beautiful !!

It was gorgeous and peaceful, right on the creek. So many stars!!

Campsites are first-come, first-served. We stayed one night with no permit. You get to them by a dirt road, park, and then the campsites are a little ways in. No amenities other than cleared level ground and a spot for the campfire.

Breathtaking!!!

This is a really beautiful park! When we arrived the park was almost empty and it was so quiet. We enjoyed the beautiful drive in with the fall colors and the little stream next to the road that goes through the campground. The sites are a little tight if you have a bigger camper. We have a R-Pod so the site was perfect for us. We stayed in a site that backed up to the mountain which added some privacy when other campers came in towards the end of our stay. The rangers were so helpful and just wonderful. There was a lot of wildlife to enjoy as you go through the park: deer, Turkey. The shower houses were cleaned three times a day. The sites have electric and at the shower house there is a spigot for fresh water. There was no phone signal at all for Verizon service, so a nice place to disconnect. The hiking trails were really beautiful. At the Upper Falls and Shupe’s Chute there is a parking area and a wooden set of stairs and board walk to the Upper Falls. The trail to the Overlook was a very difficult trail, but the view from the top was breathtaking. Worth the difficult hike. Absolutely loved the park. The only reason I didn’t give a five star rating is because… the last two nights we stayed some of the campers that came in were blasting music and yelling across the campground. They were so loud we could hear them from inside our camper and it went on until we’ll after midnight. The park has quiet hours from 10pm-7am. Despite the rangers making rounds it continued. Aside from that we truly enjoyed our visit to this park and will be back.

Beautiful location

Excellent location and well kept property. Campsites are spaced apart and there are trees for hammocks. Tent pads and campfire circles/grills are provided. Facilities are good too, but the location and scenery are what make this campground fantastic.

Nice, free, primitive campground

The campsites are just pullouts in the road with fire pits. Good quality dirt access road, no problem for my Honda Civic. Got here on a Monday night in late September and there were lots of campsites available. Good access to water with the river. No mosquitos. Soft ground for staking a tent. Getting here long after dark isn’t an issue, because you can drive right into a campsite. It was very quiet for me, no traffic on the road at night. There was some light litter, a few soda bottles, that kind of thing. No AT&T service. Highly recommended