The best WALK IN camping near
Anthem , WEST VIRGINIA

Most Recent Anthem Camping Reviews
Can't beat free

This tiny gem of a campground is actually quite decent. Each site is furnished with a small fire ring and picnic table. The fire rings do not have a grill grate. The pit toilets in the restroom are "fragrant" when you enter the women's side of the building but not so terribly that they can't be used. My friend did gag upon entering the men's room. There are designated wastewater areas to dump grey water, but you'll have to bring your own water for drinking, washing, etc. There are no electric hookups.

As others have mentioned, there is a gun range nearby and you can hear occasional firing. Helicopter traffic at night was a slight distraction from the otherwise quiet night I spent here.

There is an easy orange-blazed trail behind site 10 but as of this writing, a there are several downed trees blocking the trail a good distance in.

I'd definitely stay again.

Never disappoints

I’ve been going to coopers rock campground for 25 years and it’s always a clean, pleasant experience. You’re definitely not going to have the privacy that some campgrounds can provide but in terms of facilities, it’s overall a clean and safe experience.

My go-to

This is my absolutely favorite go-to weekend exploration spot. She never looks the same, and every season has a new vista to offer

Fall Camping in North Central West Virginia

The McCollum Campground at Coopers Rock State Forest is a great place to stay. The sites are nicely spaced apart, the camp staff is helpful, and the showers are very clean. The camp Wi-Fi isn't the best but we did have cell service with Consumer Cellular (AT&T Towers) and were able to work while we camped. The campground is only a short drive to the scenic overlook but if you're feeling adventurous you can take a hike. There is a playground for the kids and plenty of room for them to play. My only complaint is the firewood available to purchase. It's a small bundle for the price.

November camping was bad

We stayed here November 21, 2020 (in the midst of Covid).

The campground had no water hookups, about 90% of the sites were not level (and….I mean by A LOT).

We were one of the only people in the campground, so we ended up just moving to one of the more level campgrounds.

It's a cute campground, but a lot of the RV spots are unlevel up a hill, so backing in would be a hassle. Wouldn't stay here again.

Not too impressed

Just stayed here for one night with our 5th wheel when traveling home. I wasn’t too impressed. I thought it was expensive. The site was difficult to back into because everything was so narrow. I like to have a little bit of space when camping, but there were tent campers all around us. My surgeguard shut off the power in the evening due to high voltage. It was showing 137 volts at one time. I was not impressed and most likely won’t be back.

Beautiful, peaceful setting

We came to Shadow Lake in October to camp for the month. To get here, you must drive through the rolling hills of Southern Ohio, which is absolutely gorgeous in October! The campground is beautiful and peaceful, especially at this time of year as most of the campers have either gone south, closed up or pulled out for the season. There are several ponds located on the property and trails meander along and around the 100 acre property. We see deer almost every evening. There are a couple hiking trails nearby (Piatt Park and Raven’s Rock) which have incredible rock formations in the gorges. The owners, Lynn and his wife, recently purchased the resort and are very friendly and helpful. They are enhancing the amenities. Shadow lake is an excellent place to camp whether in a tent or a big rig!

Peace and quiet, with a view!

The views are amazing! If you love peace and quiet this is the place for you. All sites are amongst the very tall trees. There are several ponds around the campground for fishing and bird watching. Be sure to keep an eye our for deer as you come into the park! We had to stop a few times for them to move out of the driveway. All sites are full hookups. The other 7 campers here this weekend all appear to be longer term/seasonal. This wasn't a problem for us as they were working during the day and quiet at night.

Cons: The sites are a bit close, think KOA close. This might be a turnoff if the campground was full. The weekend we stayed there were 8 total campers, lots of empty sites between campers.

Great find for anyone

Pull thru sites,full hookups,near I68,Morgantown and Coppers Rock. Activities for the kids and playgrounds. Great views. Minimal Interest noise.

The friendliest campsite☺️

Imagine being greeted by a happy Golden Retriever upon entering your next campsite..need I say more?

The hosts of this camp provide drinking water and warm hospitality. On our second night after taking a HOT shower in one of the lodges we were offered a warm meal and even warmer company from one of the families running the site.

We were pointed in the direction of the gorgeous Valley Falls which is only a few miles from camp. Overall, our hosts were some of the kindest we met in our travels cross country!