Camping in Chacon

292 Reviews of 121 Chacon, New Mexico Campgrounds

c
Reviewed Jun. 21, 2021

Basic and good

This site is dusty & a little wild, but the views of the Rio Grande & mountains are great. Bathroom has clean running water. The shelter provides nice shade. Bugs & dust were only real drawback. Oh, and it was hot!

• Rio Grande del Norte
Reviewed Jun. 19, 2021

Had to leave

This is a nice state park, and seems to be a favorite of the locals. The campsites on the north side are VERY close together and we had 2 or 3 local families with kids and dogs surrounding us. We went to a local hotel.

Site37N
MThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 19, 2021

Wonderful views, spacious sites!

We really like this RV Park! The spaces are wide and angled enough to allow for great views! There are no trees, so you will be using your AC and awning when it’s hot out. Sites were quite level and hookups are easy access. There are both full hookup sites and water and electric only sites; there…

• view from in front of RV
BThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 15, 2021

Nice but would be better in spring/fall

I came in on a Saturday and stayed three nights in the electric area. I reserved the last electric site which turned out to be wheelchair accessible. I hadn't seen that when making the res.It was bigger and off to the side, away from the row of RV park style sites.   I rode my bike around and saw…

• a row for RV's with hookups
  • up on the ledge, no water, no electric
  • up on the ledge

Convenient place - Not great wifi

Overall I enjoyed staying here. The area is quiet and peaceful, there were some tiny trees for shade, they helped tremendously. I camp in my car, so this area was really nice for that, the ground is mostly gravel and not much space between the camp sites, probably not as enjoyable as a tent camper.…

Convenient place - Not great wifi

M
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2021

Stunning sunset view and great price

Just watched an amazing sunset from our spot. Conveniently located and super affordable. Very nice greeting from the man at the front desk as well. Definitely a nice find just outside of Taos.

HThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2021

Small area, nice creek

Sites were far enough from everyone else, but where right on the only road in and out. This is a popular spot between angel fire and taos. Not too primitive.

David I.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2021

Pretty Good

Good price for the experience. 25$ for a tent and 2 people. 5$ charge for each additional person.

The view is superb. Camping sites are a little close but not a problem. My only complaint is the bathroom. Disgusting Lol. But absolutely a must stop place to camp.

Jordyn M.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 5, 2021

Quick overnight in passing

We really enjoyed the drive along the Enchanted Circle, vert pretty, super scenic. We pulled into Ponderosa Campground around midnight on a Saturday, and there were plenty of spots available, with easy self pay station. Woke up to some beautiful views!

Site12?
Gavin J.
Reviewed Jun. 2, 2021

Hidden gem

This campsite is hidden just below the bathroom on the West end of the big parking lot. Most campers pitch tent in the wooded area in the center of the parking lot - this is off the west end of the parking lot. Wonderful trails and you get to camp right in the middle of an aspen grove.

J
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Views for days

Great place to camp along the top of the Rio Grande.

J
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Life on the Rio Grande

Nice and quite. Right on the River can’t beat it really.

b
Reviewed May. 31, 2021

El Porvenir Campground

Very well maintained campground that is remote enough to get away but close to town in case you need something. Weather was great and the surrounding trails were beautiful!

MThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 30, 2021

Nice camp area

Close to highway in a canyon. Can be noisy at times. Small river with trout. This is a state park with a camp host.