Chama, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Chama Camping Reviews
Great River Campsite

The site is a high elevation site along the highway 160 between Durango and Del Monte in South Central Colorado. The site is like many NFS sites with basic facilities. They have about 10 sites located along the small river equipped with picnic tables, fire rings and and bear lockers. The highlight here is camping in a wooden site along a beautiful mountain stream. We camped here in October before the closure and had the place to ourselves. I would highly recommend if you are in the Wolf Creek area and traveling across Colorado.

Poage Lake Primitive Campsite + Lake + Fishing

My friend and I made a fly fishing trip to Poage Lake. This land is part of the National Forest System and offers dispersed primitive camping.

The Poage Lake campsite consists of a large parking area, a short trail to the lake, and the lake itself. You can disperse camp next to the parking lot. There are no services nor amenities at this campsite, so Leave No Trace principles should be applied..

There is nothing special about the campsite area other than it is conveniently located next to the beautiful Poage Lake. The lake is secluded and pristine and surrounded by old growth forest. It is an excellent place for fly fishing for rainbow and cutthroat trout.

There are no towns nor stores near the campsite, so be sure to pick up any supplies you may need in the town of South Fork, CO. There are grocery stores, gas stations and outdoor gear and fly fishing stores in South Fork. Take any water that you may need or filter water from the lake.

If you like peace and quiet this site might be for you. If you like amenities, this site probably is not your style.

Sweet camping spot

It’s a great place to camp. The scenery beautiful. Great place to hike, bike and ride atv’s. Bring water cause sometimes their isn’t any. Fishing is great but usually is a little windy only at lake.

Awesome riverside camping

Went through the camp on foot this week, looking for a picnic spot on our road trip. This was an awesome campsite and I would love to come back. Campground was closed this late in the season. Great picnic tables, fire rings, vault toilets, water available, and clear info signs. River running through campground which was awesome for the dogs!

It’s okay

It’s not my favorite place to camp. I wouldn’t recommend staying by the water if you have kids, it’s right by a cliff. You have to walk into the spot which isn’t to bad. If you have a boat then this is a great place. The views and sunset are amazing though!!

Just far enough from town

Great spot to stay outside Pagosa 10 minute drive to town and 3 minutes to forest service access. Wifi is ok for phones but not the greatest for streaming the further you get from the office the weaker it gets no cell service in the canyon for Verizon either. If you're looking to disconnect and can do with the lack of service get the riverside spots. Staff is very friendly and helpful, they have a food truck onsite which makes it easy if you dont want to cook for a night. The laundry and bathrooms are super clean and the upkeep of the park is nice as well. Some sites share a water shut off so make sure you dont cut off the next sites water while packing up.

Breathtaking!

My family has been camping here since before I was born. I grew up here. My cousins and I built a rock damn across the river and I cought my first fish here. My children now get to enjoy this piece of majic. It is truly a wonderful place.

Beautiful and private

Very nice little campsites, a couple different lakes in the area. Only one outhouse by one of the lakes, the rest dont have any. Dirt roads on the way in, 4 wheel drive recommended but my kia made it without it. Roads do get bad when it rains so check the weather before! No water or trashcans but I did have cell service with t mobile. Overall a very secluded and quite site and a great little escape!

Shaded spots, right on the Conejos

Very nice campground. Lots of shade and lots of space between sites. Fishing along the river within the campground. Trash receptacles, water and bathrooms available. Nice little day use area right next to the river.

Lots of amenities

Nice, clean privately owned campground with lots of amenities. Hot showers, bath house, ice and few supplies sold in the office. Campsites right along the river. Very friendly staff. Campsites are a little too close for our liking but worked out well for our stay. Close to lots of fishing and hiking in the area. Beautiful place to watch the sunset and the stars at night. Nice and quiet at night.

Awesome sites!

It’s a great campground. Easy to navigate. Reasonably priced. The sites are nice with plenty of different places to put your tent. Fire pits great for cooking, and each site gets a table.

ONLY bad thing is no showers. Wasn’t a big deal to me, I was there a couple days.

Highly recommend!

Solitude on the Rio Grande

Showed up on a Friday evening and there were still several spots to choose from alongside the river. Satellite toilets are nearby each campsite and theres plenty of trees in each site for putting up tarps. The campground is a hot spot for trout fishing with a continuous stream of people pulling in and going over the river to cast for some of the big browns and rainbows on this section of the Rio Grande.

We went back!

Loved it so much the first time that we came back! For the best views, make sure to book in the lower loop. We stayed in site 11. Not the best views of the reservoir but decent. You can hear the waterfall. Campground sites at close to 10k feet in elevation. Keep that in mind. We enjoyed a great little hike around the reservoir plus amazing fly fishing the next morning. Can’t wait to get back!

Nice campsite, close to the road but but remote enough.

Campsite was nice and was easy to get to. We only stayed one night as we were just passing through to Rocky Mountian National Park. Next to the piedra  river which was nice, didn’t have a Colorado fishing license at the time so not sure how the fishing was, water looked pretty high. We didn’t have any cell service in the area so if you need that be aware. We would return here, close to Durango and pagosa  springs.

Great for those wanting to do water sports

It’s a good campground. It’s just a little dated. We stayed at Tiffany Loop, 027. Some of the tent sites at that loop need some attention (the barrier fence was down and the site overgrown ). Our site was just fine for what it was. Nice sized parking spot that we backed into. Gravel pad with (uncovered) picnic table and fire pit. There was a grassy spot where we placed our tent. Lots of sticky prickly grass around so watch your little kids :) the water is down behind the camp sites , down a steep hillside. We were not able to explore the water as we had to leave early due to sick kids but there were lots of boaters, pontoons, and house boats out there and we were planning to rent something! At Tiffany Loop, there are flushing toilets, a sink, and coin showers that are all clean! At Rosa Loop (a short drive ), there are coin showers, flushing toilets, and coin laundry services. It is very hot and sunny during the day so I’d bring a shade tent too! There are cabins at Tiffany loop as well.

Unusually Quiet

I did a fair amount of research online regarding walk-in tent camping at Heron Lake, during the week. See the great maps and detail at https://newmexicostateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/heron-lake/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NM&parkId=430012 . I called the visitor center to confirm that being a walk-in would not be a problem during the week. Once one arrives as a walk-in, look for the campsites with a green tag on them.

The Heron Lake camp sites shown at the above reserveamerica website all have a fair amount of trees for shade. What the reserveamerica site does not show is a few more Heron Lake campgrounds southwest along Highway 95 (beyond the dam). The southwesterly sites are way more exposed to the sun than the first four campgrounds. Otherwise, the southwesterly campgrounds have fine views of the lake.

I was at Island View campground, in a loop that was convoluted enough that I do not think a trailer (with its inevitable noisy generator) could get in. I guess that this is the point. As a result, all I heard from time to time were muffled voices and no generators. It's the first tent spring-summer-fall camping I have enjoyed in years that was generator-free. I had at least one empty campsite on either side of me as an additional buffer to noise.

I walked along the lakeshore. It did not seem that low. I saw large fish jumping in one cove. I hiked the Salmon Run Trail to the dam. The Salmon Run Trail is a beautiful hike, not all level but not too steep for this older person's knees and walking poles. On the lake side of the dam, walking along the highway to get a good look at the dam, I saw several schools of large fish.

The vault bathrooms and the flush-toilet bathrooms were fine. Not super clean and not super dirty. I did not try the shower but it looked like people were using it.

This time of year, bring some bug repellent or wear jeans and a light long sleeve shirt at night. New Mexico has had a lot of moisture this season, so I think the bug-giness is higher than usual. Still, I sat outside and read for an hour or so pretty comfortably.

The camp host was lovely.

Rafting trips

For the past 4 years now my two 8 year old boys and I meet up with my brother from Oregon to go whitewater rafting.  My kids can play in the water and I can watch them from the table while they fish or play.

it's beautiful hearing the water sound while you sleep or just why you sit or why you eat.

We've always had a campground available for us. We've never seen it full.

I would rate it a five-star if it had showers

Middle of the forest

Very quiet, serene campground! We are anglers and we chose site #26, which is closest to the river. It’s a hike down but doable! The probablemente was that the water was too high to fish. We will come back when water levels are down. There were some flies and mosquitos but better when the breeze came thru. Very peaceful and nice campground in the middle of the forest.

Beautiful site

Views of the reservoir are so beautiful! We stayed on site #8. Nice size, slight views of the water, it was nice! The fishing was great, the hiking was nice, the bathroom is impecable! Kudos to the hosts!!!! We will be back in August.

Good

Wish that it were a little cheaper and maybe a bit fatter from the road but it is a nice spot right in the river and has amenities.

Dispersed sites

There’s a small crystal clear pond along the road up to the campsites. There’s also a rushing river that flows along one side of the campground. Price is $22 a night, self serve station.

Dispersed Lakeside sites

Down HWY 322, there are 3 primitive sites along side the El Vade Lake. Well marked and easy to find. No facilities. First come first serve, but we didn't see a soul the whole weekend. Sites aren't well established, so you will have to clear a spot. Road is pretty rough and narrow. There is a walk to the lake with no paths. Lots of weeds and plants that will stick to you and your pups. Little shade available. Make sure to grab a permit and have cash - cost is $10 a night per car.

Typical desert lake

Heron Lake has several campgrounds with most sites being first come first serve. Most sites have a lake view. There is a good walking distance to the water and very little shade. Lots of wildlife here! We saw deer, coyotes and bear droppings. Sites are kinda spaced out, have benches, fire rings and cost $10 a night per car. We came with intentions of paddle boarding but it was way too windy! It can get crowded on the weekends, but you'd have the place all to yourself during the week.

Quiet

It is a small quiet Campground.  Large level sites.  Owners dogs Ron free.

Peaceful getaway

We stayed here over the Easter Holiday. We were on Lot 2 in the Willow creek section. For $14, we had f/u hook-ups. I think Lot 1 & 2 are the only lots with full hook ups. I didn't use the facilities, so I can comment on those. Our campsite was big enough for our rig and a tent. We had picnic table (made of concrete, so you can move it) Firepit (don't know if they sell wood, because we couldn't find anyone working or a camp host) We basically had the park to ourselves. We did take a couple of hikes. One was to the lake, which was sadly almost empty. There was very spotty Verizon cell phone and dish satellite. There is not much of a town, so make sure you're fueled up and have all your camping provisions. I would like to try and stay here again, maybe in the summer. Elevations are up there 7000 ft, so I think it would be nice and cool.

A Beautiful Spot

This is a truly beautiful spot to camp. A large campsite with enough spots for 3 to 4 RVs plus several tenting spots less than 10' from the water.

Cozy riverside camping. New go-to spot

This site is awesome. Dog friendly easy to access but still out of range of the normal weekenders from Denver, etc. The campground is right off highway 160 and is tucked away down a small hill and some tall pines. Vaulted toilet and brand new bear lockers at each plot. Fire pit and picnic table too. We slept 10 yards from what we see as an offshoot of the Rio Grande and got in the river in the morning to wake up. It runs pretty loud (late May) so be ready to hear that all night. We found it relaxing though. Check out county road 380 for some good views and hiking as well nearby. There's not really a town close though so bring your water and firewood and snacks. 1 hour drive from Sand Dunes park too.

Beautiful by the Rio Grande

Spent one very restful night here. Slept right alongside the river. The sound of the running water put me to sleep quickly. The campground was very clean and all the important information was clearly posted. A very beautiful spot and will definitely return here.

Windsurf Beach campground

Dry camp with pit toilets at windsurf, but State Park headquarters with all amenities about 1 mile away. Usually pretty quite and secluded. On or near the lake depending on water level which can fluctuate greatly throughout the year. Boat launch ramp is at main park.