Santa Fe National Forest, NEW MEXICO

Camping New Mexico Santa Fe National Forest

Most Recent Santa Fe National Forest Camping Reviews
Rustic campground in a great national monument

Before I visited here in December I had not heard of Bandelier NM; it's a wonderful place for exploring outside Santa Fe and Juniper Campground provides rustic sites without hookups (dump station and water available, though the dump station is closed in winter). Because it was December, we could drive into the park; in peak season there are shuttle buses that take you to the visitors center. There are no reservations except for the group sites. You'll need to pay with a credit card at the campground or pay cash at the visitor's center. You'll also need to pay an entrance fee for Bandelier NM unless you have or purchase a National Parks Pass. With a senior or an Access pass, you'll get a 50% discount on the already low fees.

Sites are sunny and open with scrub trees providing an element of privacy between sites. Parking pads have been recently paved. Bearboxes are provided. Bathrooms provide flush toilets, sinks, and hand dryers, but no showers. Although pets are allowed, if you plan to do any hiking, you'll want to leave them home. High elevation, so it's cold in winter and may have snow.

I would stock up on supplies on my way out of Santa Fe (about an hour away) or Albuquerque; or in Los Alamos from the North. There are a number of other national monuments in the area and Santa Fe is a nice small city to explore.

Mesa

Nice undeveloped spot we found Had picnic table and fire pit. There were a few sites with pits. Beautiful view and very peaceful.

The 2 nights we stayed got very windy but we were camping in a site with few trees for wind barrier. They were several standalone pit toilets.

Nice quiet campground

We stayed in site # #9 for 5 nights with the National park pass it was $40.00 with water & electric & a view of the lake. The best site is #1. There is NO alcohol allowed in the park so don't get caught with any they will pour it out. 2 Older men were having a beer in their site & they made them pour out 2 cases of beer. Be smart put it in a cup & hide the cans. The camp host were great people suggested a place to eat called El Farolitos (bring your own booze they don't sell it but let you drink), a little drive to get there & nothing near it but a Mars polar landing sculpture.

Beautiful view of the Flat top Mountains nice cool lake to take a dip or kayak.  We found a lot of fishing lures wrapped around small bushes that were underwater before the lake dropped 20 some feet.

The fishing was good from the kayak lots of crappie.

The ghost ranch is not far & worth checking out it's got a great museum of paleontology, Dinosaurs and Indians. There is an echo theater close by neat little walk to it the sound carry's & echos.

Beautiful, crowded

it was memorial weekend, but it looked very crowded at this specific campsite. you’re much better off doing dispersed camping down the road, which is easy to find and closer to the main road.

Lovely, Beachy, Scenic

These coordinates are a rough estimate, but this entire forrest road is filled with amazing campsites you can simply pull off and camp in. currently there’s a fire ban, so it makes it hard to stay warm at night, but the stars are amazing. it’s quiet. it’s lovely. there’s canyon walls for miles. it’s really amazing. some of these pics are from the nearby canyon that’s a bit of a walk up the road, but most are from our campground. loved our first experience camping in New Mexico!

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie

I love the desert but not the dust this place is pretty cool, beautiful sunsets.

There is a lot of shooting going on after 5pm till dark at a nearby gun range.

i’m pretty sure that I am the only one going about towing a boat and am disappointed that someone dumped a mattress here

i’m pretty sure I can haul it out of here by throwing it on my boat

Small park with no amenities

Los Suenos rv Park is located in the hustle and bustle of Santa Fe. If you're not sure you will drive right by and not even see it. If you do manage to find it nice little park with full hookups laundry and shower facilities but that's it. All cell carriers seem to work just fine here.

Quiet, beautiful lake front camping.

This is my favorite campground in the Santa Fe area. This Corps of Engineers managed lake has water and electric at most sites and 2 on site dump stations. Restrooms with showers are always clean and ready. The camp hosts are generally very helpful and kind. Did I mention the lake right outside your door, beautiful and great fishing. There is a small convince store and laundromat just about 1 mile outside the park.

Small but nice area.

Drove up to Mora campground through Pecos off of I-25. Campground is small maybe 10 spots, no services and most back up to the river. Some spots very sunny and other lots of shade. Road up there at times is only one lane, I wouldn't recommend any trailer longer then 32 foot. I also drove to a boondocking area with plenty of places up in the hills nearby. There where a lot of fishing going on and one gentleman told me he has gotten three fish within his 1st hour. Spots are first come first served and I'm sure weekends are packed. I had no cell service.