Gila National Forest, NEW MEXICO

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Gila National Forest Camping Reviews
Beautiful Gem!

Owner is hospitable and site was adequate. The amazing part of this place are the three hot spring pools. It was magical, definitely recommend!

No showers and bathrooms are okay. $7 per person per night.

The best of the best!

We spent a week road trip camping around New Mexico and this was our favorite campsite, despite the lack of upkeep on the restrooms and the trash strewn around which we attempted to clean up. Even with all that, the confluence of the east, west and middle forks of the Gila River at Grapevine Campground made for a magical experience.

In late September there were only a couple of other groups at the campground, which doesn't have designated sites per se, but fire rings are clearly established. There is also a JEEP road whose trail cuts across the river which looked really fun.

We fell asleep to the sounds of the river and woke the next morning to the sun filtered through the giant trees. This campground is a real gem, really hope that people start taking care of it better!

Pro tip: There is no water at the campground, but up at Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument we were able to fill up our 10 gallon tank free-of-charge.

THE place for star gazing!

Primitive campground with 1 bathroom. 5 designated drive up spots for camping as well as more possible dispersed sites out in the meadow. Several fire rings hint at possible tenting sites. The wilderness that surrounds the site and lack of lights truly make the night sky magical. Check campground schedule for guided star gazing, they have telescope nights!

And it’s free! Watch out for cow poop.

Hilltop dispersed camping

This is a small campground on top of a hill, therefore great for stargazing! It is dispersed camping (yea, free!) and has two vault toilets. The bathrooms/toilets were well kept and not super stinky like in some places.  There's gravel parking great for RVs, and plenty room beyond that for tents. However, there is NO shade, so beware the summer afternoon. Perhaps because of this there was hardly anyone there, but that's makes for a quiet, unintrusive stay. Also, there are some free range cows, so watch out for cow patties.

Star gazing camp sites

Just a great free place to pull off for the night. Outhouses and trash cans available, but that's it. Countless spots to chose from. Pack it and pack out. We were the only ones there for two nights. It was super quiet and the stars at night were amazing.

A different experience eveytime

I’ve stayed here many times over the years (last time was in 2007 however) and depending on how much water is, or recently was in the Gila River, some of the hot springs could be washed out as they get closer and closer to the river. I’ve been lucky enough to go every time where this hasn’t been a problem, but after getting to know the area and camp host well enough, you know if could be a possibility. Beautiful area with cliff dwellings nearby you can walk through and around. We love the Gila Hot Springs! I’m not sure many people know of this hidden gem and it’s a bit of a trek to get there, so if your looking for a real secluded camping experience then try this one

Nice. Right next to the Gila River.

Lots of shade, restrooms, no trash service.

Forks

Good spacious camp sites but lack of shade in some areas, great views.

Love it

This was my first experience in a boat, and the lake was a perfect place to learn. Had such an amazing experience with my family.

I want to keep it secret

I was doubting about posting pictures and a review because for me this is my secret paradise, there's only a few campsites and the owners just let small groups to stay (with some exceptions). There are three wonderful hot pools in the middle of campsites. Very quiet, relaxing and secure.