Albuquerque, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Albuquerque Camping Reviews
Nice park

The park is great with beautiful views. The problem is the 12 miles of access road riddled with large& deep pot holes. They don't care about maintaining it either. If you value your vehicle or rv avoid this park at the low rates, can you afford to bend an axle?

Magical Healing Place

I visited this magical place. It is absolutely beautiful. During the day the myriad of plants are enchanting. At night the stars and sounds otherworldly. And the healing energy of Michaela and Ernesto brought me back into light. Forever grateful.

Solid sites but nothing special

This was our first time camping in the Manzanos. The campsites are well made with a picnic table and fire ring. There isn’t a tent pad but all of the spots have a nice section of relatively flat ground. There are several vault toilets spread through the site. Cost is $7 per night. There is no water source at or near the campsites so make sure to bring enough for your stay. The campground is clean and well maintained. The sites are relatively close together but the campsite wasn’t crowded. The road in is a forest road. SUV’s will be fine but starting to push it for cars. You can walk from the sites to the Fourth of July trail

Great COE camping

There are 4 different loops, from the oldest (30 amps) water nearby, the the newest section. Dry camping with a view. We are in the Buffalo section. 50 / 30 amps along with water. Very nice shade structure with table.

Sites range from very good to ok. Washrooms are clean.

Nights are quite along with stars. Can be winding but this makes it cool in the daytime.

Lots of places to walk, from 1 to 5 miles.

I would rate this 5 stars, but the CampGround host should be out cleaning up the weeds on the sites. But I have never seen them.

Nice for overnight

Nice place for an overnight stay. Owner is nice, laundry, showers & restrooms. Close to highway, which you hear, but nice stop for just an overnight. Takes Good Sam & Passport.

Beautiful view

its actually called Coronado, not Corondado. So don’t type that into your gps My boyfriend and I took a 13 state journey this summer over the course of 3 weeks and this was one of my favorite campsites we stayed at. 👍🏻🏕 If you stay there I highly recommend camping in site r7 or the sites that have the little huts. The view of the Sandia mountains was absolutely incredible. There’s also a tram that will take you up the Sandia mountains that’s the longest tram in North America, 2nd longest in the world. It was beautiful. You can hike up the trails to a cabin built in the 1930s that is simply worth the hike up in the thin mountain air. 10/10 would highly recommend this site!

Love this campground!!!

Getting here is like driving through a secret little road, and once you get there, it’s amazing! It’s really serene and peaceful, and the hosts are great!!! Will be there again!!!

1st time Rving

This was are 1st time trying out our 5th wheel. We live in Albuquerque and wanted to try something close to home. This was a nice park located next to a lake that can be fished with a license. RV park is part of Isleta Casino and free shuttle service is offered from your Rv to the Casino. We would definitely stay again, only draw back is it's close to the railroad station and the train blows its horn. Paid about $35 nightly for full hookups.

Run down RV park in the mountains

This place is run down and outdated but I enjoyed my stay. The park is up a little dirt road that takes you into the mountain. There is a small visitor center and pool that wasn't in working use when I was there. Coun laundry. Free hot showers. You will see lots of wildlife here, coyotes, mountain lions, etc. If you have little dogs with you, be careful and keep them close. During my stay a coyote got my neighbors small pug. Lots of full timers here also that didn't seem to keep their spaces very clean. Overall this place isnt the best, but it's a unique location for an RV park and super cheap.

Urban campground

We stayed here for our annual Cub Scout camp out. We tent camped around a group site. It’s next to the Coronado Monument and the Rio Grande with an awesome view of the Sandia mountains.

Land of enchantment

New Mexico is a land of wonders and beauty in every turn. From its famous green or red chili and the smell of roasted chiles in the streets to the beautiful sandia mountains that shimmer at sunset to the many parks and recreation areas to explore. New Mexico truly is like no other state and must be on your to bucket list!

Very nice park

Level gravel full hookup service. Rally room very large and outdoor space nice. WiFi not so great and ATT service poor. No cable tv service. Rest rooms very clean.

Quiet Spot off the beaten path

Roomy, pull-through parking. The slides and awning were fully extended without getting close to the adjacent sites. Office was open later than most and you can stay in open spots even if you arrive after hours! Quiet area with some long-term residents that was a nice break from the road trip!

Great location! Large sites. Very clean.

This is the park in Santa Fe for big rigs. Friendly and family owned. They create a sense of community for travelers with local performers and dance lessons. Beautiful patio outside of the community building.

This park has sculptures and antique ranch equipment throughout. There’s also a trail around the whole park for waking. Beautiful views from the north and west side of the park.

Restrooms and showers are extremely clean. I wish we could assign 4.5 stars. We would have given this park 5 stars if there were more trees/shade. That’s par for the course however in the high desert.

Wide open with nice views of the lake

If you like privacy, this is not the campground for you.  Nor if you like to have a beer in the open.  Don't get me wrong, it's an acceptable campground, but a little exposed and tightly controlled (we called them the beer police).  We had booked three nights, but stayed only two.  It was fine if you were going to go boating, but for hiking or chilling at your campsite, it left a little to be desired.

We had to disguise our adult beverages, so as not to arouse suspicion from the beer police.  I'm too old for that.  The lack of any privacy was sort of off putting too.

We did enjoy a beautiful sunset and some flat walks around the campground, but not quite the hiking that we were looking for.

It's a long drive off the interstate for just a night, so I'd skip it if that's what you are looking for.

Loved it!

Enjoyed the site! They had RV, cabins and tent camp sites. My friend and I are tent campers and there was more than enough space for the vehicle and both our tents. They have showers (limited to 5 mins but better than nothing!), they have a dishwashing stations and two bathhouses. The lady at the front desk was helpful and extremely nice. There is a store really close by also! They have charcoal grills at the tent sites and one communal fire pit. We paid about $20. Would absolutely go back again! The sad part is the museum is closed due to lack of funding 😭

Worth the trip

Been there a couple times. Enjoyed the fishing, accessibility to the casino, golf course and lakes! Lots to do in a small area! I will go back!

Old but peaceful

As other reviews note, this campground looks like it was built in the 50s and not touched since. That said, the area is really pretty and this campsite was totally empty even just a couple days before memorial day weekend. Had clean bathrooms and showers and all of the sites were nice. Some sites had great views of the lake.

It may not be as nice as the camp on the other side, but offered a bit more solitude.

Old but peaceful

Convenient to Albuquerque happenings

Good campground with access to all Albuquerque has to offer. Quick biking to the Sandia trails and short drive to hiking. The bus stop is nearby so getting around town is easy too. There is lots to do. The desert is in full bloom right now.

Nice Little Getaway

This spot is set between the road to Jemez Springs and Jemez Creek. Some sites are exposed to the road and its noise, although it’s not too bad. About half the sites are tucked in among the cottonwoods alongside the creek. Overall, a very pleasant getaway not far from Albuquerque.

Great little RV Park

I spend 3 months here and everyone made me feel welcomed and like family. They have a community room, laundry, showers, and on site LP. The staff are friendly and are so willing to help

Nice place

Go!!!

Tranquility near Old Town

Mother Bosque Gardens is a little retreat in an urban Albuquerque neighborhood. I’ll admit, for me, it was a first for camping in a backyard (that wasn’t my own). Ernesto and Michaela, our hosts, were immediately welcoming and kind. They feel like we could have known them for a lifetime, even though we’ve only met for minutes. Upon arrival, they gave us the tour, and even offered to share a bowl of the aromatic soup simmering upon their stove.

Campsite and Amenities

The campsites (I believe there are two tent sites) are located on the two opposite sides of the house. They are both very private and remarkably quiet. The quiet was surprising being in a city, but it was quieter than many campgrounds we’ve stayed where other groups of campers may be playing music or chatting (loudly) by the fires. The campsite has a private entrance through a gate; parking is off the street. Our campsite space in the side yard, had a table, a couch, and a grill. As stated on the website, and in the Dyrt details, there are no campfires allowed. Michaela and Ernesto welcomed us to use their kitchen, although we preferred some mother and daughter time outdoors during our stay. The tranquil backyard is towered over by old growth trees, and the gardening is exquisite. We shared the space with hummingbirds and roses. The clean bathroom is inside the home where there is a shower available. Michaela and Ernesto even offered the use of their towels. My daughter quickly pointed out that there is Wi-Fi.

The location is very near to the Rio Grande River and the Bosque, which is the natural forest that runs along the Rio Grande. My daughter and I left early in the morning to explore the banks of the flooded Rio Grande (May), and noted the many remarkable birds: violet green swallows swooping along the river exposing their vibrant colors, ducks, egrets, herons, a red-tailed hawk, and several Canadian Geese. We sadly missed the wily roadrunner with three babies in tow. The Rio Grande Nature Center State Park was an excellent starting point for the Bosque.

Mother Bosque Gardens is also located only a few miles from the heart of old Albuquerque, including Old Town, the zoo, the botanical gardens, and the excitement of Central Avenue.

Practical Pointers

As noted on the website, the camp space can only accommodate an 8X8 tent; it may accommodate two smaller tents. We’ve shared a photo of a standard 2-person backpacking tent set up in the space. I believe the website lists a maximum of three campers in the site. A family with children exceeding a total of 3, who can manage to sleep in tents that meet the size restriction, might consider contacting Michaela and Ernesto for permission to bring more than three. Finally, there is a small walk from the parking at the front of the house to the campsite, so plan to make sure your gear is portable enough to carry it the 75-ish feet (I’m not a good judge of distance so it may be anywhere from 40 feet to 100).

Final Impression

My daughter and I planned to spend a day in Albuquerque for some quality time. In honor of new experiences, we tried something new for us by staying at Mother Bosque Gardens. We were both incredibly happy that we did. We had a wonderful experience not only camping in a beautiful garden, but from the opportunity to meet Michaela and Ernesto. We were welcomed strangers, but I couldn’t help but feel like we departed from friends.

Fine print about my ratings

When I use a star rating system, I truly do consider 3 out of 5 to be average and expected. Anything above three stars is superb and awe-inspiring. I save 5 out of 5 for what I feel is the most enchanted locations. After all, dishing out a 5 for every spot I like wouldn’t help other campers (as it doesn’t help me in return). I consider it rather difficult to provide a star rating for Mother Bosque Gardens because it was such a unique experience for me. As hosts, I would absolutely give Ernesto and Michaela a 5 out of 5. The campsite has some natural limitations as compared to a traditional site, so while the campsite was very comfortable, when compared with large campsites surrounded Giant Sequoias or a serene alpine lake, well…that’s just hard to beat. So, I’ve settled on a 4 out of 5.

Booking with The Dyrt

I had the honor and pleasure of booking this trip through The Dyrt even as they were still rolling out the bookings. I found the process to be simple and effective.

Aptly Named Campground, Truly Beautiful!

This adorable little campground just 3 miles south of the village of Jemez Springs, NM is situated in the in a wide canyon with expansive views of the mesas to the east and west. Some of the sites have a full shelter over the fire ring and picnic table. Many of the sites can accommodate larger RVs or motorhomes, but do not have water or electricity hook-ups. Potable water is available as well. The vault toilets were very clean, and well maintained. This campground had the best recycling and trash containers we’ve seen in months. We were able to recycle just about everything!

This area is perfect for anyone who loves to do any of the following: hike, bike, climb, snowshoe, ski, view wildlife, fly fish, soak in hot springs, gallery shop, or just hang out at your beautiful campsite. The town is within 30 minutes of Valles Caldera National Preserve and just a few more miles to Bandelier National Monument and Los Alamos Skiing area. The town of Jemez Springs has just a few restaurants, be sure to try Olga's Famous Chile Rellenos at Los Ojos, the quirky and quaint little bar that looks like it came from a movie set.

The campground is open all year round and typically has a camp host. The sites are non-reservable, and are very inexpensive for the beautiful views you get!

Note: Despite how beautiful this place was and how much we enjoyed it, we had a scary incident happen that we reported to both the county sheriff and forest service office. If you want to know more, visit our blog. They told us that they had never had a report like this before, so this could have been a random incident, as we were there when there was no camp host. So, stay alert, especially if you are the only camper in the campground.

Pretty Nice little spot

Found this Campground to be pretty nice overall! Mainly RV's and Campers, in fact I didn't see a single tent or tent site during our stay. The Lots are fairly close together and all have a little covered picnic table area next to the drive through RV slots. Bathrooms and showers worked just fine, though my girlfriend said the womens shower would turn itself off every 30 seconds or so (the mens worked just fine).

It's about 20 minutes north of albuquerque which is nice since you're far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle but close enough to explore the city. We went for the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta and we could see the balloons from the campgrounds early in the morning.

There's also a Bad Ass Coffee down the street which is one of my favorites!

Needs Some Work

There are two campground I found in the area, this one and one almost directly across from it. I checked out each on my way to the tent rocks and ended up settling on the other.

WHY? This one is like the red headed stepchild that everyone knows is there but doesn't want to deal with it seems. I think what happened is the other was constructed after this one and because of that this one was neglected instead of maintained.

Was it all bad? No. But was it as nice as the other, NOPE!

I honestly think that if there was a little maintenance to this one I would have enjoyed it a bit more. I liked the views from this side a bit more and they seemed a bit more vegetative overall. But that was also the problem, it looked like no one had maintained the sites and they were a little wooly.

When I visited over a year ago some of the picnic tables were vandalized and looked broken. Several of the plug in posts had been bent and damaged and looked a bit dangerous. I have seen photos of other campers which have camped since my visit and it looks as though they have been working on this area to make improvements and I really hope they have because I would love to see it again in better form.

The water access in my opinion was better from this side and had more points of interest overall including the feeder stream which was flowing pretty well when I was there.

TIPS:

• If you have ATT you will not have signal here so if possible bring a booster. The entire region is spotty for this service.

• Check out the Tent Rocks, only a short distance away for some amazing hiking and views. An amazing way to see this portion of New Mexico.

Beautiful location

Just south of the town of Jemez Springs was this really nice campground wedged between the road and the river. Super nice campsites, some with pavilions over the picnic tables, some with river access. The campground was closed when I got there but the really nice hosts let me in to check it out. I liked the sites at the back that either had river access or pergolas. This campground was super clean; I wish I had camped here the night before as there was water available and the bathrooms were more modern and clean.

Basic Campground with easy access to Cochiti Lake

A simple campground without much privacy. Easy access to Cochiti Lake and the Tent Rock Monument (which is definitely worth a visit!).

Nice for Rv and travel trailers

We arrived in the evening and only stayed one night. Whe facility was super clean. We walked to nearby restaurants. There was a hot tub open, but the pool was closed.