the dyrt
Albuquerque, NEW MEXICO
Most Recent Albuquerque Camping Reviews
Aptly Named Campground, Truly Beautiful!

This adorable little campground just 3 miles south of the village of Jemez Springs, NM is situated in the in a wide canyon with expansive views of the mesas to the east and west. Some of the sites have a full shelter over the fire ring and picnic table. Many of the sites can accommodate larger RVs or motorhomes, but do not have water or electricity hook-ups. Potable water is available as well. The vault toilets were very clean, and well maintained. This campground had the best recycling and trash containers we’ve seen in months. We were able to recycle just about everything!

This area is perfect for anyone who loves to do any of the following: hike, bike, climb, snowshoe, ski, view wildlife, fly fish, soak in hot springs, gallery shop, or just hang out at your beautiful campsite. The town is within 30 minutes of Valles Caldera National Preserve and just a few more miles to Bandelier National Monument and Los Alamos Skiing area. The town of Jemez Springs has just a few restaurants, be sure to try Olga's Famous Chile Rellenos at Los Ojos, the quirky and quaint little bar that looks like it came from a movie set.

The campground is open all year round and typically has a camp host. The sites are non-reservable, and are very inexpensive for the beautiful views you get!

Note: Despite how beautiful this place was and how much we enjoyed it, we had a scary incident happen that we reported to both the county sheriff and forest service office. If you want to know more, visit our blog. They told us that they had never had a report like this before, so this could have been a random incident, as we were there when there was no camp host. So, stay alert, especially if you are the only camper in the campground.

Pretty Nice little spot

Found this Campground to be pretty nice overall! Mainly RV's and Campers, in fact I didn't see a single tent or tent site during our stay. The Lots are fairly close together and all have a little covered picnic table area next to the drive through RV slots. Bathrooms and showers worked just fine, though my girlfriend said the womens shower would turn itself off every 30 seconds or so (the mens worked just fine).

It's about 20 minutes north of albuquerque which is nice since you're far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle but close enough to explore the city. We went for the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta and we could see the balloons from the campgrounds early in the morning.

There's also a Bad Ass Coffee down the street which is one of my favorites!

Needs Some Work

There are two campground I found in the area, this one and one almost directly across from it. I checked out each on my way to the tent rocks and ended up settling on the other.

WHY? This one is like the red headed stepchild that everyone knows is there but doesn't want to deal with it seems. I think what happened is the other was constructed after this one and because of that this one was neglected instead of maintained.

Was it all bad? No. But was it as nice as the other, NOPE!

I honestly think that if there was a little maintenance to this one I would have enjoyed it a bit more. I liked the views from this side a bit more and they seemed a bit more vegetative overall. But that was also the problem, it looked like no one had maintained the sites and they were a little wooly.

When I visited over a year ago some of the picnic tables were vandalized and looked broken. Several of the plug in posts had been bent and damaged and looked a bit dangerous. I have seen photos of other campers which have camped since my visit and it looks as though they have been working on this area to make improvements and I really hope they have because I would love to see it again in better form.

The water access in my opinion was better from this side and had more points of interest overall including the feeder stream which was flowing pretty well when I was there.

TIPS:

• If you have ATT you will not have signal here so if possible bring a booster. The entire region is spotty for this service.

• Check out the Tent Rocks, only a short distance away for some amazing hiking and views. An amazing way to see this portion of New Mexico.

Beautiful location

Just south of the town of Jemez Springs was this really nice campground wedged between the road and the river. Super nice campsites, some with pavilions over the picnic tables, some with river access. The campground was closed when I got there but the really nice hosts let me in to check it out. I liked the sites at the back that either had river access or pergolas. This campground was super clean; I wish I had camped here the night before as there was water available and the bathrooms were more modern and clean.

Basic Campground with easy access to Cochiti Lake

A simple campground without much privacy. Easy access to Cochiti Lake and the Tent Rock Monument (which is definitely worth a visit!).

Nice for Rv and travel trailers

We arrived in the evening and only stayed one night. Whe facility was super clean. We walked to nearby restaurants. There was a hot tub open, but the pool was closed.

Clean and close to the mountains and Albuquerque

CAMPGROUND REVIEW: Turquoise Trail Campground, Cedar Crest, NM

Turquoise Trail Campground is a small privately owned campground located five miles north of I-40 off Route 14 (exit 175) just outside the east side of Albuquerque. Tucked along the base of the Sandia mountains, at 6940’ elevation. http://www.turquoisetrailcampground.com/

There is plenty of visible signage to guide you down Snowline Dr into the campground.

As you approach the office/museum on the right, the RV/Camper loop is visible on the left (which appeared full). Behind the office building are two tent loops (upper and lower). There are two very clean bathroom/showerhouses located between the office and tent loops. A laundry room and dishwashing sink is located at the back of the office building. *This is also the only water access for the tent loops.

RV sites have full hookups. Tent sites have only a leveled, gravel tent pad, picnic table and standing grill. Only stove fires were permitted at our visit due to open fire restrictions.

Tent sites are separated by scrub brush, which offered partial privacy between most sites, but you will hear your neighbors. The outer tent sites back up to a residential area, with a fence separating. Bring earplugs for undisturbed sleeping, as road noise from Route 14 can be heard, along with local dogs randomly in the distance.

At $20 a night, the campground is convenient and sufficiently met our needs as we traveled west on a tight itinerary.

Shower tokens are provided with your nightly fee. Each token gives you 7 minutes of shower time.

There is plenty to do nearby, with bike trails and hiking trails…though nothing of particular interest in the campground itself.

The bustling city of Albuquerque is the next exit west, so you are still very close to shopping, eateries, and nightlife.

old

old campground. across the lake is Cochiti campground so much nicer and updated.

beautiful scenery

25 miles from Santa Fe and 50 miles from Albuquerque. concrete pads and concrete picnic table with charcoal grills with rock pebbles filled in and desert landscapes. very well spaced out and different levels so you have a view of the lake and surrounding area.

Hub of Activity

This campsite was efficient, friendly, and had plenty of entertainment available. We walked to the brewery next door and made good use of the dog parks.

Nice big lot. All paved with gravel "yards"

Big lot, easy access. Good condition electric and sewer. Nice picnic tables and trees everywhere.

Simply wonderful

This campground is very nice! The campsites all feature a picnic table with a shelter and the bath house is super clean and modern.

We camped in site 50 which was across the road from the bath house and it also had an amazing view!

I would highly recommend this site, especially if you want to visit Tent Rocks early the next morning. It’s about a 10 min drive from the campground.

Nice campground to hike from

no RV sites but 10 great campsites. Vaulted toilets available.

Great Views and Access to Tent Rocks

We checked out this campground as an option when traveling to the Tent Rocks and it was a great place. The campground was clean and sites were not to close together. We noticed a good mix of both tent and rv campers on the property.

For tent camping with no hook ups it was only $12 which fit the perfect price point. These sites included a pad for the tent as well as fire rings and awnings with tables.

The view of the sunset here was impressive to say the least and I was so in awe of the colors in the sky I forgot to take a picture, that doesn’t happen often!

Bathrooms were just the right size for the amount of people who were coming and going and best of all, hot showers!! That in itself is nice to find when you are traveling in the southwest sometimes.

We were only about 15 miles from the Tent Rocks on very nice roads so it was perfect!!

Clean and very well maintained.

This evening campground was very clean and well maintained. They had a pool for guest along with a contentinal breakfast. However it was only beagles and cereal but it was included in the cost of camping.

Big Disappointment

Very depressing. No trees, no shade, unmaintained sites. The bathrooms were "out of order".

Because the sites on the outside of the loop have no water we had to back into a unoccupied reserved site to fill our tank.

We do have 50 amp power!

We could not bring ourselves to get into the lake… scummy.

Hopefully it is just the time of year or a current issue.

Vista Linda

My friends and I came here over Memorial Day weekend, I really enjoyed the campground and area. The campground is in a valley nestled between beautiful deep red striped mountains. Each camp site has a grill, a fire pit, and a canopy which was perfect to set up our hammocks in. There is a small stream that runs through the campground, which claims to have fish, mainly trout! There are two tiny cities nearby, one with a wonderful historical site (I highly recommend), and nice neat little shops. There’s two hot springs, two waterfalls, a fishing o lake a few miles away. I would enjoy coming here again anytime!

A creek runs through it

We found Vista Linda almost by accident as a base for our visit to Valles Caldera. We lucked into a cul de sac site with great privacy, good enough solar, plenty of shade and the creek in our "yard." A delightful experience.

beautiful sites with electricity and water hook ups!

very easy to get to and beautiful desert landscape

Simple & Wast

Lovely area of NM! I camped here a few times. There’s great hikes nearby. It’s a curved road getting up there. So be aware..

very nice and the country outdoor experience is right there

it is very secluded from the outside interuptions

Cochiti Lake

A brief visit to this beautiful area.  Close to Santa Fe for a quick day trip. Clean campground, no wake lake… it was great

Group camping is great

Paliza group campground was perfect for a large cubscout campout. Multiple sites available, with a big pavilion. Some hiking nearby, small creeks, and plenty of beautiful trees.

A Hidden Gem!

Well off the beaten path, but worth a few nights of peace and solitude. Went in July and the weather was cool in the 80's most of the time, cooling to the upper 40's at night. Isolated at the end of a road in the edge of the Monzano Mountains, it is fully treed with great shade. Good place for an RV or tent. Nice hiking (easy) trails. Flush toilets but no showers. Dump station. Very nice facility.

Deadman is closed

Deadman campground is closed

Hard to find but nice overall

We had a nice stay at this campground, but be careful with directions if you rely on your phone. We put the address into the Maps app and got completely lost (another story). We did find it eventually and ended up having an enjoyable night here. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and the lots were paved and well-maintained. It was a fairly large campground and the facilities were nice and clean (and yes,they have showers). The funniest part was the field of farm equipment! Even though we had some trouble finding it, I would definitely stay here again.

Much busier than I would have thought for how rough it was

Pretty open sites (less than a dozen) which are on some pretty rough desert/mountain terrain.

There are some nice shaded picnic shelters, but no water…there are vault toilets (a bit smelly and hot)

Cobola national forest has a ton of awesome trails and you're not too far from Albequerque

Ponderosa Pines!

Loved the smells of camping near the ponderosa pines. Clean facilities, not very crowded. Felt like we had the place to ourselves! Good hiking trails near the campsites!

Great Place for kids!

My children and I stayed 2 nights in a camping cabin at the Bernalillo KOA in May, 2017. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout our booking process, even when we needed to make changes. The cabin was clean and neat, the KOA showerhouse was as well. They had a nice pool with plenty of shade and an outdoor movie in the evenings which my kids enjoyed. It was an excellent base for exploring the surrounding area, including the Jemez Mountains, many pueblos, Bandelier National Monument, Petroglyph National Monument and Kashe Katuwe National Monument.

A very handy place to stay

When campgrounds at higher elevations are closed, this is a really nice option. Staff are friendly, there is laundry and Wi-Fi on site, and the campground connects to a brewery a short walk away!