Standard (Tent/RV)
No 50 amp Hookups
Escondida Lake Park & Campground is located in New Mexico
5 Reviews of Escondida Lake Park & Campground
Better than expected!

I didn't stay but I did drive through to check it out for future stops. First impression was very clean! There are two basic areas, the fishing area around the pond which is good sized and shaped so that there's lots of shoreline. The other area is the camping area with hookups and tent sites. In between was the playground and bathroom area. There is a group shelter, and trees. It's a bit off the main highway but easy access. The river is nearby and there are some primitive access roads.

Okay Park

It’s okay. Has decent hookups and a firepit. Comes with free firewood, which was nice. Has a picnic table. No showers. No bathrooms during covid, which sucks. Campsites are pretty close together.

FHU by the pond for $18?!

But wait, there's more; free firewood! Place was clean, level gravel, had great neighbors, and caught a fish within 10 minutes throwing out my lure. Fishing was busier in the morning but caught this just before sunset.

Do your reservations online, it's preferred according to their website (versus calling). It's easy and we stayed another night because it was chill and enjoyable. Was able to work on the RV without it being too hot or windy.

First night I was in site #1 for RVs and it had shade but no fire ring (but I think you can make your own fire ring). Site #2 has no shade but had a fire ring. Site #3 has shade, no fire ring.

Inexpensive, full hookup and bathrooms

This was inexpensive but turns out it will cost us a bit more in the long run. When we pulled up there was a maintenance employee doing his job. We were trying to get into our spot. My husband is hard of hearing and I was trying to guide him. I tell him “nooooo” and the guy tells him to “crank it” and guess what? He cranks it. Dents our bumper to the truck. Sooo yeah, that happened.

The site. It has all the amenities. The bathroom is tended to but basic. There is one light and it is right over campsite 13. So be aware. Luckily we have blackout blinds and that helped but dang it was bright. There are little stickers so don’t let pets run in the “grass” or kids barefoot. And bring your bug spray. I am covered in bug bites.

We loved the little town of Socorro. And this really was a pretty good deal overall. The lake part is really just a pond and if you want super quiet this is not for you as it was close to a busy road with ATVs and trucks running constantly over the gravel road and the occasional train.

Would I come here again? No.

But it was an adventure I suppose. All part of the ride.

A fishing pond and inexpensive sites

This is a state park campground that offers everything from basic tent sites to full hookups near a small pond for fishing (no swimming or boating). There's a picnic table (numbered with the site so there's no question which one is which) and fire ring. Bathrooms offer flush toilets, no showers and it is not heated. Numerous portable toilets also got the park around the pond and play area. In early December only 4 of the sites are occupied and one person was fishing. It's handicapped accessible with a paved path to a small dock.

Year 2021 Flag