the dyrt
Cibola National Forest and Grasslands, NEW MEXICO
Most Recent Cibola National Forest and Grasslands Camping Reviews
Aptly Named Campground, Truly Beautiful!

This adorable little campground just 3 miles south of the village of Jemez Springs, NM is situated in the in a wide canyon with expansive views of the mesas to the east and west. Some of the sites have a full shelter over the fire ring and picnic table. Many of the sites can accommodate larger RVs or motorhomes, but do not have water or electricity hook-ups. Potable water is available as well. The vault toilets were very clean, and well maintained. This campground had the best recycling and trash containers we’ve seen in months. We were able to recycle just about everything!

This area is perfect for anyone who loves to do any of the following: hike, bike, climb, snowshoe, ski, view wildlife, fly fish, soak in hot springs, gallery shop, or just hang out at your beautiful campsite. The town is within 30 minutes of Valles Caldera National Preserve and just a few more miles to Bandelier National Monument and Los Alamos Skiing area. The town of Jemez Springs has just a few restaurants, be sure to try Olga's Famous Chile Rellenos at Los Ojos, the quirky and quaint little bar that looks like it came from a movie set.

The campground is open all year round and typically has a camp host. The sites are non-reservable, and are very inexpensive for the beautiful views you get!

Note: Despite how beautiful this place was and how much we enjoyed it, we had a scary incident happen that we reported to both the county sheriff and forest service office. If you want to know more, visit our blog. They told us that they had never had a report like this before, so this could have been a random incident, as we were there when there was no camp host. So, stay alert, especially if you are the only camper in the campground.

Campsites with great views

Many campsites with views of Navajo Lake. Pit toilets in Juniper, real toilets w showers in main Navajo campground. Food at Marina is good and affordable

Camp out then hike the falls in the morning

We camped the night before having gotten there after dark. Paying was easy. The next day we awoke and hiked the falls. Literally a 2 minute drive down the road from camp.

Pretty Nice little spot

Found this Campground to be pretty nice overall! Mainly RV's and Campers, in fact I didn't see a single tent or tent site during our stay. The Lots are fairly close together and all have a little covered picnic table area next to the drive through RV slots. Bathrooms and showers worked just fine, though my girlfriend said the womens shower would turn itself off every 30 seconds or so (the mens worked just fine).

It's about 20 minutes north of albuquerque which is nice since you're far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle but close enough to explore the city. We went for the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta and we could see the balloons from the campgrounds early in the morning.

There's also a Bad Ass Coffee down the street which is one of my favorites!

Needs Some Work

There are two campground I found in the area, this one and one almost directly across from it. I checked out each on my way to the tent rocks and ended up settling on the other.

WHY? This one is like the red headed stepchild that everyone knows is there but doesn't want to deal with it seems. I think what happened is the other was constructed after this one and because of that this one was neglected instead of maintained.

Was it all bad? No. But was it as nice as the other, NOPE!

I honestly think that if there was a little maintenance to this one I would have enjoyed it a bit more. I liked the views from this side a bit more and they seemed a bit more vegetative overall. But that was also the problem, it looked like no one had maintained the sites and they were a little wooly.

When I visited over a year ago some of the picnic tables were vandalized and looked broken. Several of the plug in posts had been bent and damaged and looked a bit dangerous. I have seen photos of other campers which have camped since my visit and it looks as though they have been working on this area to make improvements and I really hope they have because I would love to see it again in better form.

The water access in my opinion was better from this side and had more points of interest overall including the feeder stream which was flowing pretty well when I was there.

TIPS:

• If you have ATT you will not have signal here so if possible bring a booster. The entire region is spotty for this service.

• Check out the Tent Rocks, only a short distance away for some amazing hiking and views. An amazing way to see this portion of New Mexico.

Beautiful location

Just south of the town of Jemez Springs was this really nice campground wedged between the road and the river. Super nice campsites, some with pavilions over the picnic tables, some with river access. The campground was closed when I got there but the really nice hosts let me in to check it out. I liked the sites at the back that either had river access or pergolas. This campground was super clean; I wish I had camped here the night before as there was water available and the bathrooms were more modern and clean.

Basic Campground with easy access to Cochiti Lake

A simple campground without much privacy. Easy access to Cochiti Lake and the Tent Rock Monument (which is definitely worth a visit!).

Nice for Rv and travel trailers

We arrived in the evening and only stayed one night. Whe facility was super clean. We walked to nearby restaurants. There was a hot tub open, but the pool was closed.

Clean and close to the mountains and Albuquerque

CAMPGROUND REVIEW: Turquoise Trail Campground, Cedar Crest, NM

Turquoise Trail Campground is a small privately owned campground located five miles north of I-40 off Route 14 (exit 175) just outside the east side of Albuquerque. Tucked along the base of the Sandia mountains, at 6940’ elevation. http://www.turquoisetrailcampground.com/

There is plenty of visible signage to guide you down Snowline Dr into the campground.

As you approach the office/museum on the right, the RV/Camper loop is visible on the left (which appeared full). Behind the office building are two tent loops (upper and lower). There are two very clean bathroom/showerhouses located between the office and tent loops. A laundry room and dishwashing sink is located at the back of the office building. *This is also the only water access for the tent loops.

RV sites have full hookups. Tent sites have only a leveled, gravel tent pad, picnic table and standing grill. Only stove fires were permitted at our visit due to open fire restrictions.

Tent sites are separated by scrub brush, which offered partial privacy between most sites, but you will hear your neighbors. The outer tent sites back up to a residential area, with a fence separating. Bring earplugs for undisturbed sleeping, as road noise from Route 14 can be heard, along with local dogs randomly in the distance.

At $20 a night, the campground is convenient and sufficiently met our needs as we traveled west on a tight itinerary.

Shower tokens are provided with your nightly fee. Each token gives you 7 minutes of shower time.

There is plenty to do nearby, with bike trails and hiking trails…though nothing of particular interest in the campground itself.

The bustling city of Albuquerque is the next exit west, so you are still very close to shopping, eateries, and nightlife.

A jewel in the Jemez

This is a beautiful campground for either tent or evening camping. All sites are by reservation, so there was no stress about finding a spot. Standard vault toilets were pretty well kept, potable water faucets were well located, and firewood was plentiful, although the easiest to find was fairly green still. Sites were decently spaced, although camping etiquette reminders should have been in place (splitting wood at midnight, really???). There were good hiking trails nearby and water to play in, and the sites drained well in the afternoon rains. I look forward to returning.

old

old campground. across the lake is Cochiti campground so much nicer and updated.

beautiful scenery

25 miles from Santa Fe and 50 miles from Albuquerque. concrete pads and concrete picnic table with charcoal grills with rock pebbles filled in and desert landscapes. very well spaced out and different levels so you have a view of the lake and surrounding area.

Hub of Activity

This campsite was efficient, friendly, and had plenty of entertainment available. We walked to the brewery next door and made good use of the dog parks.

Nice big lot. All paved with gravel "yards"

Big lot, easy access. Good condition electric and sewer. Nice picnic tables and trees everywhere.

Simply wonderful

This campground is very nice! The campsites all feature a picnic table with a shelter and the bath house is super clean and modern.

We camped in site 50 which was across the road from the bath house and it also had an amazing view!

I would highly recommend this site, especially if you want to visit Tent Rocks early the next morning. It’s about a 10 min drive from the campground.

Don't drink the water at the campground

Jemez Falls Campground has nice sites that are well spaced out. Each campsite has its own table and fire rings. Vault toilets and water spigots are also located at the campground. I’ve been told not to drink their water though so bring your own.

You can hike to the hot springs from the Jemez Falls. At the falls you’ll see a sign for the hot springs, follow this trail. Once you reach a stream on this trail, you’ll know you’re getting close. The McKulley Hot Springs are so nice, I highly recommend checking them out!

Nice campground to hike from

no RV sites but 10 great campsites. Vaulted toilets available.

Great Views and Access to Tent Rocks

We checked out this campground as an option when traveling to the Tent Rocks and it was a great place. The campground was clean and sites were not to close together. We noticed a good mix of both tent and rv campers on the property.

For tent camping with no hook ups it was only $12 which fit the perfect price point. These sites included a pad for the tent as well as fire rings and awnings with tables.

The view of the sunset here was impressive to say the least and I was so in awe of the colors in the sky I forgot to take a picture, that doesn’t happen often!

Bathrooms were just the right size for the amount of people who were coming and going and best of all, hot showers!! That in itself is nice to find when you are traveling in the southwest sometimes.

We were only about 15 miles from the Tent Rocks on very nice roads so it was perfect!!

Perfection

The Juniper campground is perfection. The layout of the campground allows for both RV and tent camping, while still having you own quiet area. Plenty of water filling stations, and bear boxes. The evening ranger presentations, held at the amphitheater, are informative and interactive.

Hello Jemez!

This is a gorgeous area to camp and explore. The campsites are spaced nicely and the facilities are easily accessible. We loved it!

Short drive to quaint campground from Santa Fe

We were very excited on our first night to settle into our campsite after a long day of adventuring. Just a short drive to the outskirts of Santa Fe in mountain country we found our campground, Rancheros de Santa Fe.

Upon entry the staff was very friendly and welcoming and we felt like this would be a great place to call home away from home.

The campsites were laid out well with room between campers and because it was the end of a weekend, they were not entirely at capacity which made for a pleasant sense of space in the great outdoors.

Our campsite was positioned in the "high road" tent site area which is a primitive campsite without additional amenities. Each campsite has a fire ring and also a picnic table for campers to utilize and a pad site for tents slightly raises from ground level.

It made for a beautiful night sleep under the chilly New Mexico skies.

By morning we ventured up to the public showers and restrooms which were clean and had amazon water pressure and hot water to set the morning in motion perfectly.

The facility also offers a pool and theater room during summer months so while we didn't get to take advantage we were excited to know upon return we would have these features available.

🐰🐰🐰🐰⚪️

Overall we give this campground a 4 of 5 Bunniea! The only things we noticed which kept it from a 5 were the lack of wifi reach in the back sections of the campground, wouldn't have been a big deal but cell service in the off grid location was also patchy so the wifi would have been handy. And the pad site was not designed for a tent quite our size. Our tent is a 12x8 and had a little side hang on on the 12 foot end.

Awesome place to camp

This is one of the places to camp in New Mexico

Heavy use

Always busy…now a reservation site. Some sites around the edges or at the end of loops have some space between you and your neighbors, many in the middle are much closer together. We prefer to find dispersed camping in Jemez now that the designated campgrounds are generally so busy.

Clean and very well maintained.

This evening campground was very clean and well maintained. They had a pool for guest along with a contentinal breakfast. However it was only beagles and cereal but it was included in the cost of camping.

Big Disappointment

Very depressing. No trees, no shade, unmaintained sites. The bathrooms were "out of order".

Because the sites on the outside of the loop have no water we had to back into a unoccupied reserved site to fill our tank.

We do have 50 amp power!

We could not bring ourselves to get into the lake… scummy.

Hopefully it is just the time of year or a current issue.

Ponderosa Peace

Jemez Falls campground is located in the heart of the Jemez, close to climbing, great hiking, fishing, hot springs, the Valles Caldera NP and Bandelier National Monument.

The campsites have plenty of space, and are more private than most campgrounds with the exception of those that are heavily wooded. The ponderosa canopy provides a fair amount of shade during the hot days. There are picnic tables and campfire rings at every site. There are vault toilets that are surprisingly clean. Just down the road are the Jemez Falls, a great place to splash in the river.

The campground is generally a family friendly environment where kids can roam in bicycle gangs, and dogs can chase a frisbee. Warning though, on many occasions the weekends have been a little noisy with rowdy campers that don’t think quiet hours apply. Don’t get me wrong, who doesn’t like kicking back by a campfire with friends? Who needs to be so loud that their voices ring through all of the camping loops and keep 70 other campers awake until 1 a.m? So yes, the quiet hours are from 10-6 or 8, but they don’t seem to be enforced. As a result, our family tries to weeknight camp at Jemez Falls whenever possible.

Vista Linda

My friends and I came here over Memorial Day weekend, I really enjoyed the campground and area. The campground is in a valley nestled between beautiful deep red striped mountains. Each camp site has a grill, a fire pit, and a canopy which was perfect to set up our hammocks in. There is a small stream that runs through the campground, which claims to have fish, mainly trout! There are two tiny cities nearby, one with a wonderful historical site (I highly recommend), and nice neat little shops. There’s two hot springs, two waterfalls, a fishing o lake a few miles away. I would enjoy coming here again anytime!

A creek runs through it

We found Vista Linda almost by accident as a base for our visit to Valles Caldera. We lucked into a cul de sac site with great privacy, good enough solar, plenty of shade and the creek in our "yard." A delightful experience.

beautiful sites with electricity and water hook ups!

very easy to get to and beautiful desert landscape

Simple & Wast

Lovely area of NM! I camped here a few times. There’s great hikes nearby. It’s a curved road getting up there. So be aware..