Carson National Forest, NEW MEXICO

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Carson National Forest Camping Reviews
Quiet beauty

Rio Grande del Norte National Monument is BLM land so it is all dispersed camping. You will need to make sure you aren't on someone's property or nearby any roads. There are plenty of turn offs.

This isn't a "get away" more like a stopover spot. I stopped here on my way back North to Colorado to see the bridge over the Rio Grande and so I wasn't so high up in elevation that I would freeze.

But if you can find a quiet place it is a beautiful dispersed spot where there is civilization nearby and toilets at local businesses  and picnic areas that you can use. See map on review.

Be careful roaming at night. The drop into the river is quite deep so offroading isn't just ill advised for keeping the flora and fauna safe…but you as well.

There are picnic ares around the monument too, just not established camping spots.

Only open April 15-Oct 15!

The campground is open April 15-Oct 15

Beautiful, feels more isolated than it is

We camped here in July 2019 and it was beautiful! We originally reserved spots by the river but it was flooded so we wound up on the upper loop. It wound up being better because the mosquitoes were less bad away from the river. We were in site 15 I think but any of the sites on the upper loop are awesome because they face a large open field with scattered trees and mountains in the background. Our spot had some shade for our pop-up too. They don't want you to fill up water tanks at campground so the community spigot is not made to hook up to a hose, so if you have a camper fill up before arriving.

Gorgeous views and free

Small campground next to U.S. Highway 84. There are 9 campsites with 3 small pull-throughs. I have seen large RVs in the day use area, not sure if this is tolerated.  No services.  Great cell signal for me (t-Mobile) The views in all directions are amazing.  Very close to Ghost Ranch.  Usually very quiet and after dark barely any car traffic on 84.

Enchanting

Parking my vintage Shasta on the mesa of Luna Mystica is like no other place I’ve ever parked. Rustic site with a nearly 360 view to die for, I just picked a place and parked. A very short walk to the best private bathrooms I’ve ever used at a campground. A true artist’s haven, there is also a brewing company on site, and a dozen or so adorable vintage parked campers that make the esthetics top notch.

Sweet camping spot

It’s a great place to camp. The scenery beautiful. Great place to hike, bike and ride atv’s. Bring water cause sometimes their isn’t any. Fishing is great but usually is a little windy only at lake.

Best camping by the river

Fishing is great and quality waters. It is fisherman’s fly fishing dream. Camping is great too as you can park next to the river. It’s pricey at 20.00 a night but worth it.

Great quite place to camp!

Lots of hiking and forest to explore. You can hear the elk bugling and the see every star at night. This camp site has everything you need and is perfect little getaway.

Beautiful and free river side camping

No amenities except some great river side places.

Dispersed camping along the road (though it’s not a busy one, especially not at night so not noisy) right on the river.

First coms first served with mostly tenting spaces.

Quiet, beautiful, and had it all to myself for a day.

Quiet mountain lake with ponderosa pines surrounding it. I'd go back in a heartbeat.