Camping in McGillvary

194 Reviews of 70 McGillvary, Montana Campgrounds

S
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2021

Wildlife

Enjoyed our stay over a weekend! Nice 1 mile hiking trail through the state park. Was able to watch a group of cow/calf elk on Beavertail Hill from our camping spot. A few miles up Rock Creek Rd is a Big Horn Sheep viewing area. Water available at the campground but no dump station, however just…

John B.
Reviewed Jun. 14, 2021

Nice convenient camp grounds

My 1st time here. Read the reviews and its pretty much what everyone says. FYI there are no showers or drinking water. The Boulder river is right on the edge so you can get water there or from a stream at the western end of the park. I was able to get 5g service here... Depends on where in the…

Abby M.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 14, 2021

Didn’t stay but looked nice!

I planned to stay here but upon arriving, I only had 1 bar of 4G via ATT so had to relocate so I could work. The sites were clean, along the river and had a table & fire ring. I arrived around 2pm on a Sunday and 4 spots were taken. I imagine this place gets very busy on the weekends. The major…

Jeremiah H.
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2021

So nice. Surprise snow!

What a wonderful place. So sleepy. Anaconda and the campground. We got a surprise snow on the 2nd night but stayed 8 days/nights.

WThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2021

Nice quite place.

Clean and relaxing. Table and fire ring at each site. Nice creek and very little traffic noise.

k
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2021

Secluded and beautiful

We’re at campsite #7 you can here the water running by the creek. Absolutely stunning forest! There’s an out house and running water Spicket. Nice spots to tent camp.

A
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2021

Great lakeside spot

Lovely spot, zero bugs, spaced apart from others, plentiful clean bathrooms, and a boat launch. I will say that the red-necked grebes had a loud raucous party all night and while it was certainly festive, kinda hard to sleep. Thinking it was a mating ritual.

• Audio purposes to hear the grebes
  • sunset
  • Misty morning
Sitec43
Angela G.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2021

Nice lake, rough road

Great campground for summer. The lake is beautiful and cool. Large boat access area. There is a nice trail through the area, day use and overnight spaces. A little camp store with the basics. Not a lot of shade so make sure to bring sunscreen. Keep an eye out for snakes on the trail. The road is…

Gail E.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2021

Friendly place

Smooth check in with attention to detail about our site. They also gave us some great recommendations of local businesses and attractions. Nice trail walk to the creek.

cThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 3, 2021

Lovely amd well kept

This is a great stop if you need a place to crash. The train and the highway are adjacent to the campground so the noise was an issue for us. There is also a shooting range nearby. Overall very clean and friendly.

Sitebeavertail tipi
PThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 2, 2021

No camping within 1/2 mile of the town.

Interesting and informative, though half of the buildings are locked upright. You can really interesting artifacts through the windows. Great potential. A little picnic area.

Siten/a
T
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

No docks; too windy

Very exposed to wind gusts due to lack of trees. First evening was uncomfortable due to constant wind. Boat launch did not have docks set up on memorial day weekend. Made boat use very difficult. Otherwise it was a nice stay.

Sitea21
A
Reviewed May. 31, 2021

Not great for tent camping

Disclaimer, I went Memorial Day weekend. But it was RV hell. And I don't know about that "one unit per site" nonsense - almost every site near me had one or two RVs/campers plus a tent, or some combo like that. So many people, so loud, yelling and laughing and running generators. I'm glad they had…

• Loop A
  • Waterfront
  • Sunset
SiteA23
GThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 30, 2021

It’s okay . . .

Granted, It’ a busy weekend. The facility is full with campers and with boaters. Some sections of the of the facility have the campers parked willy-nilly. Other areas are filled with “nice” camp sites. It’s busy, crowded, but. . . ok.

SiteNumber 65