Bitterroot National Forest, MONTANA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Bitterroot National Forest Camping Reviews
Great dry camping

We spent a week here this last summer. Awesome place for hikes and hot springs. Also dog friendly Everywhere we went. Beautiful area wit tons of trees.

Wild and scenic

The Selway is one of the most beautiful places in Idaho, and this campground is a good place to stay on your visit! There are plenty of sites (32) to stay at, however it can tend to get crowded, so I recommend reserving a spot ahead of time. The crowds are really the only downside to this site (if you prefer more quiet and privacy) but fortunately there are other sites along the river that are also great spots to camp. This campsites has plenty of amenities and many of the sites are pretty accessible. This is a great place for families, people with limited mobility, and the elderly to visit. There are vault toilets, potable water, and bear-proof dumpsters that serve the whole camp. Individual sites should all have tent spots, picnic tables, and a fire ring. The loop around the campsite is paved. Kids and families often ride their bikes around the loop. Like much of central Idaho, the wildlife includes black bears and rattlesnakes, so remember to be cautious and aware of our wilder friends! The area offers a great variety of recreation opportunities. Slower areas of the river offer great swimming, and the Lower Selway makes a great day trip on kayaks or rafts. There is lots of biking, hiking, and horseback riding along the river and through the mountains. Selway Falls are beautiful and a really fun stop.

A gem spot

I've hiked to Jerry Johnson hot springs plenty of times, and finally decided to check out the campground! The site was really clean, the outhouses were immaculate! Honestly the nicest outhouse I have ever seen. I went during early October and the larches and deciduous trees were showing great fall colors. The campsite is a little close to the highway, but it was not very loud at night. In the fall, there is a reasonable amount of traffic, but I would assume it gets a little heavier in the summer.

Peaceful

The camp hosts were informative and friendly. The sites and toilets were very clean. Sites on the river or just off. Easy trails to the river to relax and enjoy.

Great spot

Secluded and gorgeous. Campground is small only 3 spots but is free and provides a pit toilet. Would definitely stay here again.

Amazing remote location. Great wildlife viewing, snowshoeing, hiking, etc..

Spent 3 nights at Hogan Cabin, MT last summer (Aug 2018). I loved the isolation of the location. Up at 7200ft you get a little winded hiking around, but the incredible scenery is worth it. Found a primitive A-frame structure in the woods about a mile from the cabin. Saw several deer and elk feeding in the field near the cabin, as well as a moose in the marsh along the creek.

The cabin itself is nothing to jump up and down about. With only 2 sets of bunk beds, my wife and I put the bedding on the floor and made a full sized bed. There's no running water so be sure to bring plenty.

There's an vault toilet in the outhouse.

There is also a HUGE fire pit with swinging grill for cooking.

Very comfortable.

We are not hard to please. Just need space for dog fence. No problems checking in. Laundry. Bitterroot river on site. Children's fish lake. Did not use bath facilities. Looked good from out side. Cabins are log and adorable. Big ponderosa pine. Small store, with restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch. Super friendly staff. Gravel sites. Level.

Worse camp site ever!

Good thing we brought our own toliet paper! We arrived on a Wednesday, and it didn't get filled until Friday. By the time we left, the outhouse was pretty ripe. You could tell it hadn't been cleaned in awhile, because of the cob webs. Camp site wasn't level. Fire rings were coming out from the bottom. Sorry Selway, not happy campers this weekend. We'll stick with the Northfork 😀🤗

Amazing best kept secret

Ummm…where do I start. We stayed here June 2019 with a creek rushing nearby that made for amazing sleep. Quiet during the weekend, we stopped by here one night for camping. I would recommend picking up groceries or wood in Lolo, MT if needed because not much on hwy 12 on the way there. The camp host kept the area clean and was available if needed. Definitely recommend this campsite if driving in.

Family Fun

My family has been camping here for years. There is plenty of room to explore and have a good time. It is also just a few miles away from Fenn pond for the more leisure fisherman.