Lolo National Forest, MONTANA
Most Recent Lolo National Forest Camping Reviews
Stayed two seperate nights, outbound and on the return. Would do it again.

Well maintained, clean, and easily accessed.  The staff was friendly and helpful.  It is a rather large park but you are guided to your site.  They have a well stocked store if you need to stock up on supplies.  I would gladly stay there again if I'm in the area.

Easy access and quiet

Just a couple of miles off of I-90 which keeps this campground quiet yet easy to access. Well maintained and clean.

Our New Favorite!

We stayed at a couple of state parks in Northwest Montana, but this one was by far the best! We planned to spend a week in the area and had to split the stay between two parks. Placid was amazing! The water was perfect, campsites were easy to get in and out of. The bathrooms and showers were super clean. We ran into the same park manager again and he remembered us from our stay at another place. The campground hosts were great. We spent a little time in Seeley Lake and had some great food at The Ice Cream Place. We highly recommend it too - and get Huckleberry everything!

Montana

Very wooded area

Quick Stop, Very Pleasant

Unplanned road trip from Seattle to Glacier NP. I had planned on staying in Missoula for the night, or at least camping close. It was terribly hot, around 100 degrees at 8pm. We started heading south from Missoula into Lolo Ntl Forest towards Idaho. Every campground we came across was full. Almost to Idaho, we pulled into this lovely place. We pulled into the upper (left) side. There were not many folks camping here, but the right or lower side was full. It was quiet, the vault toilet was clean and stocked. Our site was cut into a steep hill. Tent pad and table were level, but be careful heading the couple feet down to the car. The woods behind us gave me a little pause about bears and wildlife, but we were just fine. It was cool, shady, and quiet. A lovely last night to our trip before pushing back home.

You won't find a more beautiful drive than Hwy 12 through Idaho! I wish I would have taken pictures but I must have been camera'd out after our time in Glacier.

Riverside Campsites

Great campground right next to the Lochsa River. Some of the campsites are literally spitting distance to the water. It is close to the road, but traffic is light at night, so there's not much noise. Bathrooms were clean, roads are well maintained, and sites had a picnic table and fire pit. Really enjoyed our stay here as a basecamp to the hot springs in the area.

Public land site off Hwy 75

Gold creek camping site has one fire ring and is surrounded by a burm of land and forest, no easy access to creek.

Mission Falls

Tribal land, permit required. Primitive road, passable but can be very muddy…

Unremarkable - but no problems

Stayed one quick night in the "Tent Village" where each site gets a pie shaped section of an octogon. Everything was fine. Very ok. Amazingly alright.

The location was a bit funky - had to take a spur street then drive through a trailer park to reach the KOA proper. No big deal, just left me wondering if I came in the back way or something.

Close to town, clean; I'd stay again, but I'd scope other options first.

For a state park fee - totally worth it!

GORGEOUS! dry camping but beautiful view! We had lake front with a picnic table by the lake. Friendly hosts & rangers. Bathrooms & water pumps available

Quiet, Pristine Mountain Lake

If you're looking for a sleepy spot to relax and enjoy that isn't inundated with tourists, this is the place. This lovely lake campground has spacious sites, most are level and graveled, picnic tables, pit toilets, potable water on site, a lodge style restaurant for meals and drinks, and hiking trails right from the campground. Everything is kept neat and tidy, and the boat launch is not far from the campground. The launch is very shallow, so you're not going to get a surf boat in, or a large pontoon boat either, which is part of why this lake is still peaceful. Lots of opportunity to kayak, paddle board and swim. It's pet friendly, and campers regularly leave their water toys, kayaks, canoes, etc., on the shoreline during their stay with no fear of them being stollen. The hike to Holland Falls is suitable for beginners and children, but be aware that it's rocky when you reach the falls, and dogs and children should be supervised in that area. There are both black and grizzly bears that frequent this area daily, so be very careful with your food, and bear aware when hiking. My last stay was only 2 nights, and I ran into two bears, one that strolled right by my trailer. This is my favorite camp ground for an escape from reality!

Lolo Creek Campground Montana

Despite how this site has it listed, the sign says Lolo Creek Campground . This is in Montana . https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lolo/recarea/?recid=10268

This this is a well-maintained forest service Campground right on Highway 12 about 15 minutes. (20 miles) north of Lolo the town. There is an adjacent day-use picnic area with about 3 or 4 picnic tables pretty well separated and in the woods. I believe they each have a grill with them. If the campsite is full and you are self-contained, the parking lot maybe a good pull off spot.

There are 17 camping sites about half are pull throughs. It is heavily forested and Lolo Creek is adjacent but not in the campground. However, two of the sites are very near the creek. Because it is beside Highway 12, you can hear the road noise but this quiets down substantially after dark. This also makes it super easy if you are traveling and need to pull off for the night.

There are 3 Wells with potable water( lift the handle ) and 2 well-maintained and stocked pit toilets. Each site has a metal fire ring and a picnic table. Some sites have really nice areas for tents , others the tent might be a little bumpy! There is a campground host and a dumpster for trash. Bear proofing regulations are in effect.

There Is No Reservations, no electricity. no services for RVs, no cell, and no firewood for sale.

I stayed the maximum amount of time which is 16 days. Most of that time I could have had a fire if I wanted but the last few days there was a fire ban due to very dry conditions. I was there in August.

The cost is $10 a night payable in cash or US Bank drawn checks. There is a $4 per night charge for a second vehicle at a site. This is for every night that you are there.

There are a few nice but not necessarily Stellar hikes in the area. None originate near the campground, you must drive to them. The campground host was very helpful in directing us to these. Lolo Creek Campground was spared in the Lolo forest fire of 2017. However some areas slightly South between the campground and the town are burnt out. But the new growth of bright green framing the black trees imakes for some visually beautiful hiking.

Lolo Creek itself is cold and I saw several guys fishing. If you can take the temperature it's a great wading Creek too!

There isn't any cell service at the campground and I have Verizon. In fact, you lose cell service shortly north of Lolo.

Up the road going north about three-quarters of a mile is Jack's Saloon. You have to drive about three-quarters of a mile back a very well-maintained dirt road. This is a bar , a restaurant with what looked like a very decent food even though I didn't have any , and music there one or two nights a week. The theme is lumberjacking and the bar is made out of a single giant log , many of the bar stools are carved out of single logs as well and there is a swinging log bar stool. There was a quite good blues band there the Saturday night I went. This bar was in the movie The Best Bar in America. This is your closest civilization if you want to get something to eat. Otherwise, you have to drive 15 or so minutes south to Lolo where there are several restaurants, a couple fast food places Quick Stop's, gasoline and a casino. Do try Florence coffee it's a drive-thru and yummy.

There may be a restaurant at Lolo Hot Springs about 5 miles north on Highway 12, past Jack's. Lolo Hot Springs is a large complex with hot springs pool, many buildings, camping, and cabins and a sign that proclaims a cafe. I assume it's open to the public and not just guests, but I personally did not verify that. Their rates for anything are not listed on their website , neither is availability if you want to camp. You must call. I called two different times and left messages. they didn't return my call either time . I called a third time and got a person who answered my questions. It's more than triple the cost at staying Lolo Creek but then there's all the amenities too. There's another dance Campground on the other side Lolo Creek Campground that has about the same prices as the hot springs.

Also, be careful, there is much wildlife along Highway 12, and I saw deer multiple times crossing the road at night. And though I didn't see any, between the campground and Jack's is a painted on the road moose Crossing.

This is a clean Campground and I was happy to stay there. I I can highly recommend this Campground if you can live without electricity and cell phone for the duration of your stay. And you're main activity is either leaving the campsite to go find something else to do, simply hanging out, or some trout fishing in the creek.

Cabins in the mountains

4 cabins and a bar on site.

loved the quite

We dispersed camp just down from this campground. We will stay here again.

Glamping at its finest

So comfortable koa. Perfect alternative to a hotel. Located right near the town of missoula, very convient.

Family friendly

Water accessable, clean toilets, excellent campground host. Close to lolo hot springs. Lots of shade. Dogs allowed on leashes. East pull in sites, close to national forest, and lee creek.

Gorgeous place, but no frills for sure. No staff after dark.

On river. Bears?? Have to cross street for hot springs facility.

Fantastic tent site

This was an amazing tent site. A little windy at night, but I loved falling asleep to the sound of the wind and waves breaking as we were right next to the water. The sunset was beautiful and the campground stayed quiet until after 8 so we were able to sleep in. Bathroom is a vault toilet with too many bugs, but oh well, it's camping.

Placid Lake

Beautiful place to access Placid lake. Nice clean facilities. Great for salmon fishing.

Finely Point

Beautiful place to access Flathead Lake. Nice camp spots. Fee use area. Boat ramp and docks available. Busy place and fills up quickly.

McDonald Lake

Absolutely beautiful area. However most camp spots are not maintained well. You will need a tribal permit to recreate and camp on tribal land. Wonderful for kayaking. Watch for grizzly bears!

Mission Dam

Absolutely beautiful area. However most camp spots are not maintained well and there is a lot of trash. You will need a tribal permit to recreate and camp on tribal land. Wonderful for kayaking and swimming.

Beautiful setting

Moi Most beautiful place on earth…showers…bathrooms all very clean. Camp ground hosts are the best!!

Greatest customer service ever

Greatest place! Great little store and friendliest people

Perfect for a quick stay!

Great campsite right off interstate 90. Wooded and spacious! Really convenient and super cheap!

Tucked amidst the pines with a secluded lake.

Good campground. Many sites with good shade. Campground gets a good breeze that cools things off. Sites are longer, but extremely narrow with cement posts which make parking a little more of a challenge but set in at good angles. Cell coverage very spotty, better by lake. Close to road, but you don't hear road noises. Entrance not marked well.

Pick the more secluded spots that you can’t drive into.

We stayed at the state park. The people at the office were friendly. It cost $28, but the site we chose we could have privacy, and the view was nice and close to the lake. Mosquitos weren’t even out, so that was a plus.

Beautiful campground by the lake

We loved this campground! It was very well kept and close to the town of Seeley Lake which we liked. The campground was very quiet and the beach area was nice and relaxing. We have a family of 5 so Hauling or 5th wheel around the camp ground was a little tight but we managed. The only thing we didn't like was there were a ton of mosquitos when we went! :(

Rugged, beautiful little crescent lake

One of our families all time favorites if you can get there early enough to get a spot! Only 1 site on the lake shore, 2-3 other sites scattered along the road in not as ideal but not that far. Great hiking just a little drive away along an old forest service road.

Rugged, mosquito infested, breathtaking

Absolutely gorgeous undeveloped area! If you can stand the hordes of mosquitos and constant trail of hikers coming through the area hiking to Lake Dinah.