Lolo National Forest, MONTANA
Camping Montana Lolo National Forest
Most Recent Lolo National Forest Camping Reviews
Spacious and beautiful

Entry fee is $12 per camp and gate closes to get back in at 10pm

I have camped here multiple times by tent and always enjoyed my stay. The camp spot at the very end of the road is by far the most private and spacious spot.

All of the camp spots are close to the river and have easy access to bathrooms and trails. I have camped with 4 tents in one space and still had room for more.

Great spot to stay

Bombs Away!!

Bombs away describes the one and only draw back to our visit, and a funny one. Pine cones dropping on the RV. Were the squirrels tossing them? I had to wonder 🤪

A quarter mile down the road that crosses the river is a grove of Western Larch, also known as tamaracks. The oldest tree is 1000 years old (see photo). Watch for signage and a tiny parking lot on the left. More: https://forestservicemuseum.org/exhibits/jim-girard/jim-girard-memorial-grove/

The campground backs up to the lovely Clearwater river with water lilies. Paved. Water spigot. Put toilets. So quiet, we planned to stay one night and have been here 3 so far. Feels like home… barring those pine cones that drop and scare the daylights out of me…

Seems perfect, but a couple big design flaws

Gorgeous part of the national forest, and the lower five campsites are gorgeous and creekside. Big downer- the 70mph highway is a stone’s throw away and every passing car seems pretty impossibly loud. If this were right next to town I’d consider coming back, but for an hour’s drive I’d expect something quieter. Also the upper sites are packed into a tiny ring and in plain sight of one another.

Out of the way hiding spot

Great little hidden gem. Just a handful of spspots to camp but absolutely beautiful!!

Private campsites, peaceful even on weekend

Plenty of open sites M-Th, even during the summer. Sites are close-ish together but very private because of the tree cover. The creekside sites are especially lovely.

Pretty Spot

This is a free campsite, we stayed on the lake loop, There is water available. Very busy place. One group of people would leave and there would be someone in the site within an hour or two. There is a loop a little before the lake which is wooded. We were there for July 4 weekend and were told to be ready for an amazing display of fireworks and they were right! Lasted about 2 hours - private fireworks but were beautiful. Husband kayaked and larger boats were in the water. For being as busy as it was the nights were quiet.

Great group site.

We enjoyed the group site. It was on an outside corner. Good access to the streams as well as the restroom. 3 tables and lots of room. Beautiful campground with cedar trees and the kids enjoyed picking huckleberries.

Nice free campground

Free, close to lake quite campground. The bathroom ran out of TP but what do you expect to get for free? I’ll be back with my own TP

Great KOA, odd location

Our stay here was really good. The sites are large and wooded. Lots of amenities and activities for kids. The bathrooms were incredibly clean. Tip: showers in the bathrooms by the pool. They are huge and you can lock the door so no one else can come in.

The location was really odd through. It was sandwiched in the middle of a mobile home park and between an industrial area off the highway and the back of a strip mall. You could easily walk to shopping from here if needed. It wasn’t bad, just really unusual. If I was in the area I’d stay again despite this. Friendly staff and well kept overall.

Perfect Fly Fishing Stay

Perfect spot along the Madison. The hosts were very friendly too and keep the grounds in tip top shape! Highly recommend. It can be very windy- just a heads up!

Perfect quite get away

At night the stars are seen through the trees when the moon is not so full,  I had never seen stars so close to the ground.

1. 15 Great campsites.
  2. Clean bathrooms.
  3. fresh drinking water, until sometime the end of Sept when they turn it off.
  4. Great fishing on the North Fork and Kelly Creek, a lot of water to explore.
Social campground from long time campers

Everyone seems to know most people coming & going, very nice to walk and chat with fellow campers. Bring the bug dope! The area is plush and green. There are only three sites that have access from their campground to the river, otherwise you can find a path nearby. Fishing was not so good and my guess was that the water was too warm. Can't be the fisherman/girl!

Quiet creekside campground

Campground with 22 sites, vault toilets, bear proof garbage, and plenty of water spigots. Placed at the base of 'wagon mountain' there is a small day use parking area, and 22 sites. We stayed in site 1 over a small bridge. It was a bit close to the highway. There was minimal night traffic, but it's a popular motorcycle road so the morning had more noise.

Make sure to pack any food in bear proof containers or a hard sided vehicle.

Really a nice older established RV park.

Right next to beautiful golf course in Polson MT. All the hookups. Pool, hot tub, pickle ball courts.

Amazing best kept secret

Ummm…where do I start. We stayed here June 2019 with a creek rushing nearby that made for amazing sleep. Quiet during the weekend, we stopped by here one night for camping. I would recommend picking up groceries or wood in Lolo, MT if needed because not much on hwy 12 on the way there. The camp host kept the area clean and was available if needed. Definitely recommend this campsite if driving in.

Cabin City Campground

Nice, densely forested campground with lots of sites long enough for our 31ft travel trailer and crew cab pick up. Clean campground with vault toilets. My only disappointment was there’s not a water feature through the campground. You cross over a small creek on the way to the campground from I-90.

Clean and Comfortable

Nice campground with pool and cute gift shop, but the gem was that even though there were quite a few people waiting to check in the clerks were friendly and efficient. They have laundry and a game room on site, and it seemed like there were plenty of pull through sites.

Nice and peaceful

We stayed at one of the cabins, small but with everything that you need (bed, coffee maker, bathroom with toiletries, mini fridge and microwave). There are several cute hiking trails with gorgeous scenery. Also, the saloon offers good comfort food and beverages.

Stayed two seperate nights, outbound and on the return. Would do it again.

Well maintained, clean, and easily accessed.  The staff was friendly and helpful.  It is a rather large park but you are guided to your site.  They have a well stocked store if you need to stock up on supplies.  I would gladly stay there again if I'm in the area.

Easy access and quiet

Just a couple of miles off of I-90 which keeps this campground quiet yet easy to access. Well maintained and clean.

Our New Favorite!

We stayed at a couple of state parks in Northwest Montana, but this one was by far the best! We planned to spend a week in the area and had to split the stay between two parks. Placid was amazing! The water was perfect, campsites were easy to get in and out of. The bathrooms and showers were super clean. We ran into the same park manager again and he remembered us from our stay at another place. The campground hosts were great. We spent a little time in Seeley Lake and had some great food at The Ice Cream Place. We highly recommend it too - and get Huckleberry everything!

Montana

Very wooded area

Quick Stop, Very Pleasant

Unplanned road trip from Seattle to Glacier NP. I had planned on staying in Missoula for the night, or at least camping close. It was terribly hot, around 100 degrees at 8pm. We started heading south from Missoula into Lolo Ntl Forest towards Idaho. Every campground we came across was full. Almost to Idaho, we pulled into this lovely place. We pulled into the upper (left) side. There were not many folks camping here, but the right or lower side was full. It was quiet, the vault toilet was clean and stocked. Our site was cut into a steep hill. Tent pad and table were level, but be careful heading the couple feet down to the car. The woods behind us gave me a little pause about bears and wildlife, but we were just fine. It was cool, shady, and quiet. A lovely last night to our trip before pushing back home.

You won't find a more beautiful drive than Hwy 12 through Idaho! I wish I would have taken pictures but I must have been camera'd out after our time in Glacier.

Riverside Campsites

Great campground right next to the Lochsa River. Some of the campsites are literally spitting distance to the water. It is close to the road, but traffic is light at night, so there's not much noise. Bathrooms were clean, roads are well maintained, and sites had a picnic table and fire pit. Really enjoyed our stay here as a basecamp to the hot springs in the area.

Public land site off Hwy 75

Gold creek camping site has one fire ring and is surrounded by a burm of land and forest, no easy access to creek.

Mission Falls

Tribal land, permit required. Primitive road, passable but can be very muddy…

Unremarkable - but no problems

Stayed one quick night in the "Tent Village" where each site gets a pie shaped section of an octogon. Everything was fine. Very ok. Amazingly alright.

The location was a bit funky - had to take a spur street then drive through a trailer park to reach the KOA proper. No big deal, just left me wondering if I came in the back way or something.

Close to town, clean; I'd stay again, but I'd scope other options first.

For a state park fee - totally worth it!

GORGEOUS! dry camping but beautiful view! We had lake front with a picnic table by the lake. Friendly hosts & rangers. Bathrooms & water pumps available

Quiet, Pristine Mountain Lake

If you're looking for a sleepy spot to relax and enjoy that isn't inundated with tourists, this is the place. This lovely lake campground has spacious sites, most are level and graveled, picnic tables, pit toilets, potable water on site, a lodge style restaurant for meals and drinks, and hiking trails right from the campground. Everything is kept neat and tidy, and the boat launch is not far from the campground. The launch is very shallow, so you're not going to get a surf boat in, or a large pontoon boat either, which is part of why this lake is still peaceful. Lots of opportunity to kayak, paddle board and swim. It's pet friendly, and campers regularly leave their water toys, kayaks, canoes, etc., on the shoreline during their stay with no fear of them being stollen. The hike to Holland Falls is suitable for beginners and children, but be aware that it's rocky when you reach the falls, and dogs and children should be supervised in that area. There are both black and grizzly bears that frequent this area daily, so be very careful with your food, and bear aware when hiking. My last stay was only 2 nights, and I ran into two bears, one that strolled right by my trailer. This is my favorite camp ground for an escape from reality!