Billings, MONTANA

Most Recent Billings Camping Reviews
The 1st KOA

We have stayed here 2 times Both times we have had exceptional service by these people! Sites are what you would expect for a KOA We will be back

Ok for an overnight, wouldn't stay long term

We stayed here as an overnight stop during our summer trip.

There is not much in Hardin at all, but the campground provide plenty of space with the sites. We had 50amp for our trailer and water and sewer hookups.

I don't think the staff at the front desk were very enthusiastic about their jobs…they seemed like they weren't too happy to have to deal with another camper showing up for the night.

There were quite a few other rigs there when we stayed, but no one that looked like they were staying for long term.

Nice City Park along the Yellowstone River

We spent 9 days here (8/25-9/2) to work in nearby Billings (40 miles east) before heading to Washington State. The park was quiet and clean and we had no issues with neighbors at all. This is a city park that runs on donations. A nice guy from the local government stopped by once to give us a sheet with the rules and city ordinances.

Completely dry camping, although we were able to fill our tank at the spigot on the side of the restroom building. Grass or gravel sites with fire rings and picnic tables, with a mix of back in and pull-through spaces. A lot of space for big rigs and tenters alike. Firewood was available near the dumpsters in the middle of the park.

The nearest grocery store is a few miles away in town and the laundromat was small but clean. A farmer’s market was set up in the park by the railroad tracks on Thursdays (4:00-6:30) that had everything from fresh veggies and homemade goodies, as well as blankets and jewelry and a couple food trucks.

There is no dump station in the park, but there is one at the nearby Cenex station for a $5 charge during business hours. Otherwise the folks at Mountain View RV Park on the other side of the interstate will let you dump and fill water for $5.

Full Verizon signal allowed me to work from our rig for a couple days when I didn’t need to be in Billings.

Battle of Little Big Horn

It’s the most reasonable place to camp if you’re stopping for the night to see the national monument.

River camping

Jam up camp site by the river. Off the main highway and doesn’t look like too many people know about it. A small tow behind camper would fit in here. There is a boat launch too.

Nice little hide away

Excellent campground. The place is off of the highway a good distance so you dont get noise from the road. Definitely will return to the campground. The place offers cabins, restrooms with showers and there is even a fly shop for those of you wanting to fly fish the renowned Bighorn river.

Surprise in Billings

Needed a one night spot on the way to Theodore Roosevelt NP, and came across Yellowstone RV and Campground. Little noise due to its close proximity to I-90. Clean bathrooms with showers. Pool and other fun amenities. Friendly staff…great for just a one night stay.

Surprisingly nice stay (and those showers!)

We normally avoid KOA campgrounds - preferring to stay away from large campers pushed together. Our experience was not what we expected. We were the only ones in the last loop. With the way our teardrop faced we couldn’t see anyone else. This gave us a small campground feel.

There are lots of activities - from mini-golf to dog park to river access. We took advantage of the amazing showers.

Walking around was a surprise too. We followed a trail by the river and it led around a pond  it was short but away from everything.

Nice camping on the river

Wide gravel road all the way to the campground. We saw RV’s in some sites so this is more accessible.

Sites are in a loop around the vault toilet. No water source is available unless you use the river. These sites weren’t as nice as the ones over at Swinging Bridge FAS but there were more people camped here. Some sites are by houses so go further in to find more shade and privacy.

2 bar cell service is all we found but town is not far away.

Drive through horse ranches and find a hidden surprise

The narrow dirt road is really only wide enough for one vehicle. Perhaps this isn’t the best spot for big rigs.

This is a nice campground that is right on the river. Sites are really separated down along the river. There’s lots of trees and bushes that separate sites. One vault toilet and no water source(other than the river) make this a primitive camp.

We had cell service but not LTE.

Top Notch

Beautiful Campground, great customer service! Dog park, pool, putt-putt golf. They serve breakfast and ice cream for a few!

Resort style...

Never have we stayed at a KOA before so this stay was different than anything we’ve experienced before. The pull through site we had included a patio with swing and picnic table- but not much on space… probably only 15 feet between rigs(?) however the campground had plenty of activities and amenities, including mini golf, pool, lodge, dog park, playground, ice cream stand and a BBQ joint, and the mini golf, and food stuffs were all an additional fee. We were only staying one night, and didn’t partake in any of the activities, and at the price of the per night rate, I felt that maybe we wouldn’t stay at another KOA, mostly because of the spacing issue, and the fact that it didn’t really feel like a campground at all… but like I said, we are used to slightly more rustic conditions, lol. It is worth mentioning that just a few miles away is Pictograph State Park- and that was pretty cool, and a beautiful walk after a day of driving!

One of the better KOA locations

This KOA sits right along the Yellowstone River along the eastern outskirts of Billings. It has all the regular KOA amenities and a beautiful view of a cliff to the north where native americans drove bison off. Bring big spray duri g the spring and summer as bugs can be horrific!

Neat Place

The original KOA. This place is well kept, and staff was very friendly. Our site was pretty far from the restrooms/showers/office/store, but that was made up for by the spaciousness of the site, a picnic table, and access to potable water at the site, even though that was not included in our site description when booking. You can also hear the Yellowstone River flowing behind the site, which was nice to fall asleep to. In the mornings, they offer a pancake breakfast. In the evenings, there is an ice cream social where you can meet other campers, swap stories, share experiences, etc.

Fine

Not a bad campground. Host very nice. Bathrooms were set up a little weird but were clean

Great place to visit

We really enjoyed our stay at Afterbay campground in Montana. Montana is such an incredible place to camp because there are so many outdoor activities. If you love the outdoors, I recommend visiting Montana. It is a great place year round. This campground is one of my favorite places because right down the road are a few different hikes. One hike is 8 miles round trip and it has the most amazing views ever. Views of the lake and mountains all around. You can’t beat that. The campground is well kept, but a little on the smaller side. Not sure how many spots they have, but during the summer it gets very busy. If you are planning to come in the summer I would recommend making your reservation ahead of time. We have stayed here twice and both times all the campsites were full. Bring your own fire wood because they don’t have any for sale close by. Also bring water because they don’t have any water hookups. Luckily we brought jugs of water, which we needed for our hikes. There are plenty of trees that provide great shade. Lots of bugs and mosquitos during the summer so I’d recommend good mosquito spray. We have come in the winter and stayed in our RV (see snow pictures) and we have come in the summer.

Primitive frontcountry campsite

This was a great spot to camp. It’s just up the hill from a reservoir put-in and has three separate sections so if it’s not busy, you can stay pretty well in your own little world. There are also two separate sets of two pit toilets, and each site has its own large bear locker. They also each have their own picnic tables, fire rings, and lantern hangers. Sites 1-3 have access to a pavilion as well which is really nice. I would highly recommend these sites, and at $10 per site (no utilities), you can’t beat it! It’s also pretty well protected from the wind and shaded.

Great little park with a beautiful lake!

It lacks trees at most campsites, but that’s ok…it’s easy to get in and out of, the sites are level and every one has a view of the lake.

Its clean, sites are generous (i.e….not on top of each other)

The lake is easy to access by power boat or kayak. I would go back in a minute.

Cell phone service was lacking…it sits down in a valley but then again, I camp to get away from that.

the public toilets are clean and well stocked.

we took the back roads there…they were flat and so well groomed!

There were lots of families there…great place to turn your kids loose and not worry about them

Not really camp ground

No camping allowed but very nice day facility for picnics, fishing, kayaking and throwing the stick for the dog in their dog park enclosure.

Beautiful Campsites Awesome Hiking!

This campground is beautiful! And affordable! And provides wonderful hiking and boating opportunities with amazing views in walking distance from the sites. There weren’t any bugs. The spots were spacious. There are toilets available as well as a boat launch and plenty of dry firewood. One of my favorite sites!

Welcome rest after driving across North Dakota and eastern Montana

I usually avoid KOA campgrounds. They're not really my style. However, after driving I-94 from the east, we welcomed the added comforts of a KOA.

July 2018: First ever KOA

Maybe we haven’t been around enough, but I loved this place in the Big Sky Country. Huge lot, stamped concrete patio, nice table with umbrella and a porch swing made this feel inviting. They had a camp restaurant with made to order meals and lots of family activities. Only sad thing is we only stayed one night, lol. Will definitely book a lot longer visit.

Well maintained, fun, and safe with tons of amenities and friendly staff!

There is so much good to say about this campground. They have so many fun things to do! Mini golf, arcade, playground, bonfire pit, basketball court, bikes to rent, pool & hot tub, plus the whole campground borders the Yellowstone River! We caught so many frogs, not to mention fish! The staff is awesome, especially when they open their outdoor restaurant for meals. There are peacocks that roam the grounds, and they are awesome. Amenities include: showers, laundry, general store, WiFi, power outlets to all campsites, security, library, and so much more!

Beautiful and remote.

Be warned: ZERO cell signal. I mean none at all.

But that's my favorite part! It is so peaceful and beautiful! Clean camping areas without any frills. Decent bathroom, but no shower

good family spot

nice beach for the famy to relax and swim at, fenced dog area.

Gorgeous

Love love love staying here. Montana is so gorgeous, and the camping here is the best. Mountains surrounded us everywhere we looked. The hiking around this area is spectacular, and I would highly recommend checking out the hiking areas around. The campground was great. It was actually a lot bigger then I thought it would be. There is quite a bit of room between each campsite, which we like. The campsites are typical- picnic table and fire ring. But again, they are pretty big and they are separated by trees and shrubs. Great trees for hammocks. The only downside is that there were tons of bugs. The mosquitos were something else. Not sure if it is because it is close to the water, or standing water, but holy smokes they were bad. Highly recommend bringing lots and lots of bug spray. The weather was pretty hot too! The campsite was pretty busy when we went, but that was because it was during the summer months. Recommend reserving your spot ahead of time. They have some really good biking trails- recommend brining a bike if you love to do that!!

Montana is such a beautiful state! The hiking and outdoor activities are limitless! My family and I go to Montana once every few years because he outdoor life is hard to stay away from. We stayed at this campground because there is some really good hikes nearby and we wanted to see this part of Montana. The campground was pretty good, just s typical campground. The restrooms weren’t the cleanest, but they were portapotties which to me are never clean! Bring your own toilet paper, they ran out the last day we stayed. Each site has its own picnic table and fire ring. Within the campground there is a large grass area where people were playing horseshoes, volleyball and spike ball. My family and I enjoyed hanging out in this area, throwing a frisbee around with our dog. Again? Highly recommend hiking in the areas nearby! We also went to the lake that was close by! Enjoyed swimming and playing fetch in the water with our dog. Loved our stay and can’t wait to come back!