About Glacier Campground

Glacier Campground is located just one mile from the west entrance to Glacier National Park. The campground covers 40 wooded acres and is surrounded by Flathead National Forest

Glacier Campground is located in Montana
13 Reviews of Glacier Campground
Great spot

I’ve stayed here a few times now. Decent spots with attention to some privacy. Not 100% privacy but I’ve been at campgrounds where we are on top of our neighbors, but not here. Access to showers is nice, just wish there were more because to not wait in line I’ve had to get there before 5am.

Great Location to the Park

Glacier Campground is just a few miles outside of the west entrance of Glacier National Park. The campground is clean, and the hosts are friendly. We stayed in a cabin that had one twin bunk bed and on twin over queen bunk bed. It also had a mini fridge and microwave. You need to bring your own bedding, but the cabins are new and really cute. Worked perfect for us.

Glad we came to Glacier!

This is both a campsite review and a Dyrt Ranger product review.

CAMPSITE REVIEW: We almost cancelled our trip to Glacier due to the current forest fires that have closed some of the park. We decided to take a chance on it though, and stayed just outside the west entrance of the park, at the privately owned Glacier Campground. We decided, given possible problems with smoke and haze, to rent one of their camper cabins instead of tent camping. Their camper cabins here are cozy and really nice, and much more reasonably priced than any others in or near the park! There were a lot of nice tent and RV spots for camping too, the whole place was like an upscale state park with many large, secluded shady campsites tucked into beautiful mature forest. There is a terrific indoor-outdoor cafe on site, and a central gathering area with playground and group picnic shelters. There are hot showers and regular bathrooms too. The campground is 1/2 mile to the entrance to Glacier National park, but 1/2 mile in the other direction is the new “Crown of the Continent” Geotourism and Education Center sponsored by the state of Montana and National Geographic. The folks at the campground can shuttle you over here to view the high quality environmental and geography education exhibits on display, to sample local foods and crafts, or to sign up for outdoor adventures like horseback riding, fly fishing, llama trekking and more. The campground itself is pet friendly, they even allowed our dog to stay in a camper cabin with us, which many dont. To our dismay, we discovered that dogs arent allowed on hiking trails within Glacier National Park itself, but we got advice at both the campground and at the Geotourism Center about National Forest trails in the area that dogs ARE welcome to hike on. So this a fabulous place to stay, with something for everyone, and an especially good homebase for dog families who want to get out on area hikes. Note: there is also an Amtrak train stop near this campground, and they have a shuttle to pick you up if you arrive by train!

PRODUCT REVIEW (note: I made a video review that is in the photo gallery for this written review, but it seems to have uploaded in low-res format. For the high-def version, check this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RSpe9dDicR0ICEPaS_JBpTlKqszY9kWa

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, sometimes I get to test new products. This is a review for the OOmg women's low-rise sport shoe made by OOFOS. I was interested to try them out because they are billed as supportive "recovery shoes" for hikers or runners after a long trek. As I have plantar fasciitis and am also a few months post-recovery from a broken metatarsal, I wanted to try something that might help on an upcoming hiking and camping trip. After the shoes arrived, I thought I should break them in a bit so I wore them around the house and on dog walks around the neighborhood--so comfortable from the start that no breaking in was needed, but I also didn't want to take them off! Really comfortable and really supportive. I was really impressed--so impressed that once we started on our trip, I wore them on short easy hikes rather than just wearing them after hikes, and they held up well. In fact, they were more comfortable than my actual hiking shoes, so I ended up wearing them on all my hikes over the next week, more than 40 miles of action. They may not have the deep tread or the ankle support needed for really rugged or really steep and slippery mountain trails, but I tried them on easy to moderate trails in all kinds of conditions and they held up great, and so did my feet in them. I was really really impressed, more than I thought I would be. Through all the days of hiking, no pain, no arthritis, no trouble walking, these are not just great recovery shoes, but great overall walking shoes.

One other aspect that really impressed me was this: prior to my trip, I discovered a crack in the sole of the shoe, about an inch long, which appeared just a few days after I got them while I was just doing casual walking around the neighborhood. Perhaps I somehow stepped on something sharp that cut into the sole but I didn't know it because the soles are so thick and comfortable? I was disappointed about that and mentioned it to customer service when they emailed to see how I liked the shoes. They informed me that they guarantee their shoes, that if there is a problem in the first six months they can be returned for replacement. That seemed like a good plan, so I thought I would see how they held out during the hiking trip and maybe return them when I got home. However, part way through the trip, I checked the sole and the crack appeared to be smaller, only a half inch instead of an inch. At the end of the trip, I checked again--no crack at all! It seems the sole is made out of some kind of self-healing material. Walking on it had therefore made the crack better, not worse. Wow! Amazing! Needless to say, I won't be returning this pair, and will surely buy more in the future. I can't say enough good things about these shoes! In sum:

Pros:

1) These shoes have great arch support. They would be supportive for anyone, but I need especially good arch support with my plantar fasciitis, and these are more supportive than any other shoes or orthotics I have.

2) Good overall support. These shoes really cradle your whole foot with both support and shock absorption. I broke a metatarsal in my foot a few months ago, and wanted to go hiking anyway despite residual arthritis from it, but I found I had no pain at all when wearing these shoes, even on the one day when we hiked a fairly steep trail over 8 miles.

3) Self healing material in sole. There was a pretty good sized crack in the sole before we left for our trip, it slowly closed during the trip and was "healed" by the end of the trip ten days later. Impressive!

4) These shoes fit well right out of box, there was no need to break them in, the uppers are flexible and well fitting so they stay on nicely without laces, they also retain their shape without stretching out even while conforming to your foot. The order info recommends ordering a half size up as they run a little small, so I did that; I usually wear an 8 1/2 so ordered a women's size 9 and they fit perfectely.

5) Despite the snug fit, I never developed any blisters even after more than 40 miles of walking in them. I also didn't get sweaty feet when wearing them without socks, so the uppers are breathable, but they are also comfortable with peddies or regular socks

6) These are supposed to be recovery shoes for the end of the trail, after you have been hiking, but I found they were good ON the trail for both regular walking and fairly challenging hiking, and I tested them in a variety of conditions, in sun, rain, mud, on rocks, in forest shade and in the open, wading in water and sand, and they held up well through all of it. They seem to have good grip and traction on damp trails, though I am not sure about really steep or slippery trails

7) Not waterproof, but they dry quickly when they get wet

8) You can wash them if they do get dirty, I hand washed them with dish soap and so they look almost like new and dont lose their shape when they get really wet.

Cons:

1) These shoes aren't cheap, and some folks might be put off by the price. However, I would like to point out that I have paid more for supportive official orthopedic-type walking shoes, but these feel better and work better for me, so they would be worth every penny!

2) These are great casual outdoor shoes and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more in other colors! They are such good shoes, though, that I wish I had some like them to wear for work or formal occasions; but they don't really have a supportive shoe like this one in a nice dressy style. Maybe that will change, if they do come up with any I would buy them.

So, overall, wonderful shoes! Highly recommended!

gorgeous!

In the end of July, over 200 of our group (Sisters on the Fly)…totally invaded this campground. Over 200 us occupied all of the 175 camp spots (plus a few doubled up in the pull throughs)

They were BEYOND accommodating!

The campground is extremely well set up. There is a wonderful little cafe (Sunflower), that bent over backwards cooking for us. There’s a little general store for all the little things you might need (including ice!)…a dump, dish washing station (so bears are less liking to check out YOUR camp).

WIFI is so so…but then again, I don’t camp to hang out on the internet.

The campground is steep as you walk the roads from the pavilion to your spot…you will leave in MUCH better shape than when you arrived.

Not all spots are as level as you would like them to be…they will work with you…just ask. Bring plenty of extra leveling blocks. Some of the spots require skill with backing to get in. They have group cabins and several shower houses.

All and all…I was EXTREMELY impressed! I would stay there every time I go. It’s located just outside West Glacier and the unassuming entrance totally belies the greatness that lies beyond!

You won’t regret your stay!

This a very clean area with cabins, rv and tent camping.

This campground offers cabin, rv and tent camping. There is a cafe open for breakfast and lunch. The office has cards and games for use and the hosts are always helpful.

ok spot.

It was a well put together facility. 4 washers and 3 dryers for coin laundry (older units) small showers, tried not to be picky but didn’t feel very clean after seeing black mold on ceiling. the office was very accommodating when our tent sites weren’t level and let us move. there is a dish washing station that I enjoyed, hot water. a little cafe with bad WiFi. I couldn’t get the WiFi to do much for me at the pavilion or cafe. overall, it’s an ok spot. a parking lot for RVs and tent campers with trees in between.

Great spot at West Glacier

Clean facilities, friendly staff, close to the West entrance of the park.

Beauty All Around

My husband and I visited in June 2016 on our honeymoon. Definitely worth it. Though, remember to hike with a partner and/or bear spray! Beautiful pales to describe it.

Gorgeous!!!

Montana is absolutely gorgeous! I may be biased because I go to college in Montana, but there is so many great outdoor activities. The mountains and scenery are my favorite. Some college friends and I have done a lot of camping over the years together, and Glacier Campground was one of my favorites. The campground is awesome, and is a few exits down from the Glacier National Park. Trees surround you within the campground, which was great because my friends and I had hammocks so those were easy to hook up with all the trees! One thing we really enjoyed doing was we did some horse back riding! There is a place nearby where you can go and do this. We had a blast!! There are many lakes and rivers too that are great. We enjoyed swimming in the lake, and also rented some kayaks at a local shop a few miles away. The campground does offer spots for tents, RVs and they also have cabins. We chose to tent because we are poor college students :). Maybe at some point we would try renting a cabin because they looked pretty fun. We didn't reserve our spot ahead of time, but we were able to get a spot still. It was in the spring time, so I'm sure if it was in the summer months you might want to call and make a reservation. Each campsite does have a table and fire pit which came in handy for us. We only stayed for the weekend, but wish we could have stayed longer to do some hiking. Because Glacier National Park is right around the corner, I know they have great hikes. If you are into hiking, I would definitely research hikes in that area. I can't wait to come back!!

Felt like visiting family .... That you like

This was our first visit here and our first outing with our new camper. We were so pleased. This park is beautifully wooded and the staff does a great job keeping it clean and organized. The bathrooms and showers are clean and well maintained. Garbage it collected quickly and the front office team is awesome. We forgot a tarp and we went to the front to buy one. The owner said " oh we have plenty follow me" she took us out back and let us pick one from their she's to use for free. What puts this camp over the top is the cafe. Wonderful coffee and healthy breakfast available just a short walk from our site was the ultimate treat. We intend to stay again soon.