About Middle Fork Flathead River Dispersed
No Sewer Hookups
No Water Hookups
Middle Fork Flathead River Dispersed is located in Montana
19 Reviews of Middle Fork Flathead River Dispersed
Kinda like a hippy commune but great

I’m not familiar with communes. But hippies are quite common where we are from. This place had the vibe of people just out there living in the outdoors. Locals and travelers alike. All very friendly. Not too loud. It is not regulated here by any means and you can camp anywhere. People seem to give you space though.

We parked in the rocks close to the river. It was beautiful to wake up here in the morning. Serene. Would have stayed longer. It’s close enough to town to get supplies and a short drive to glacier. The river is peaceful here. Plenty of good quality skipping rocks for the kids.

The “road” down to the beach from the asphalt is, well, as described in other posts. Not smooth. We made it though barely. We have. 22’ trailer with NOT good clearance. It scraped a couple times gently to remind us to go slowly. Scout it first if you’re unsure. It’s only 200-300’ of sketchy part but no getting out easy if you change your mind halfway. But if you can make it, do it. The beach area is much flatter and easy to navigate a trailer around once you’re down there. Do it.

Perfect for car camping

All reviews here are accurate. Last stretch of dirt road down to the river is a doozy, go super slow… cell service was fine. Loads of people. Clean up after yourself. Super close to west entrance of Glacier. Wish we could have stayed longer!!

Free, lots of sites, beautiful location.

This is a large dispersed camping area with a river-side "beach" suitable for RVs and what not (it's rocky not sandy, so tents might be pretty uncomfortable), as well as a dirt-ground area further in with trees that are great for tents and hammocks. Rock firepits are easily found, although I didn't see much wood around to gather so might want to bring some. When I was there it wasn't too crowded but there we always other people around. Two clean portable latrines when I was there as well - nice plus.

All in all, a great place to settle in and take in the scenery or do some fishing. Not too far from town either, for supply runs, and using Verizon I had perfect reception. Big plus for those of us working on the road!

First timer

If you’re looking for absolute primitive camping, this is your spot! Down by the water, some campfire rings are already built for you out of the rock! I used the drift wood that was washed up to have a fire for myself. Was plenty around. Was quiet at night, but when I arrived around 6-7, it was pretty crowded. Ended up camping on rocks in a tent because all of the good spots were taken. Thankfully I had a blow up pad with me, but still wasn’t comfortable. So, I recommend getting there a little early. Short little trail to drive back, lots of dips and holes! Be careful with a car that sits low to the ground for sure.

If you love a night out away from everything, check it out! Sit by the fire, relax and enjoy the beautiful night sky above you!!! Can’t wait to go back!!

Glacier Rim DC!!!

So there isn’t a spot marked in Dyrt for where we stayed but it’s quite close to Middle Fork so I’ll leave my review here. If you go about 4 miles north on N Fork rd, Glacier Rim will be on your right. It wasn’t nearly as busy as Middle Fork was. We checked Middle fork first and everyone was on top of each other and the road was rough getting down to. Glacier Rim? A night and day different and we got service!!

We were able to park on the beach, right on the flathead river and watch the rafters go by. We met some awesome locals who shared our fire with us on our last night. We only stayed two days because the air quality became hazardous due to the west coast fires, cutting our glacier trip short. But, at this spot, you can take Blankenship road right to the West Glacier entrance.

Free, primitive, beautiful views on the river

This is not painless getting down to. Once you cross the bridge you take your first left. No sign. It is very rough getting in. We went slow in a crossover SUV (we were in a tent). People were there with R.V.s, and even sedans, but be prepared. When you finally see the park sign at the fork, stay left and take the left driveway if you have a car, straight with a pick-up or R.V. pick a spot on the rocks by the river, sand along the river, or use the road access about 3/4 of the way down on your right for a spot in the grasses and woods. Fire pits everywhere. Two portable restrooms down the dirt road. Otherwise no services. We did get cell service. The sky was gorgeous! The people all around were friendly and quiet. I would advise getting there early and staking your space. You want to set up when it’s light. We would stay again for sure!

Awesome

The other reviews here are accurate. Access road is ok when dry, otherwise 4wd is probably required. Spacious area for all types of camping, tents, schoolies, Sprinters, cars. Great river side location. Friendly people.

Beautiful.

We really lucked out finding this camp stop! It’s so close to the National Park entrance and a beautiful place to stay. The road is a bit bumpy getting down here but there’s plenty of room for tent camping and RVs. Be careful though! We were told my the national forest rangers that berry bushes grow close by which bears frequent! All this means is put your food and other smelly products (lotion, toothpaste, etc) in your car at night! This spot made our trip!

OH My Stars

Blankenship is such a beautiful area along the Middle Fork of the Flathead River. The stars at night are like nothing else.

These are primitive sites that they purposefully do not upgrade to attempt to keep the numbers down. They put in 2 porta-potty's this season but that is user beware!

Please know that this area is free and heavily used by locals. However, with all the traffic this year from COVID road trips the banks are bursting at the seams. Be respectful, pack in pack out and bury anything that leaves your body. If this spot isn't respected it's going to turn into another pay/reservation only spot or be shut down as it's part of the Wild & Scenic Rivers program.

Really beautiful area, very social time

This was great, right on the river, very rocky, beautiful water. Like everyone says the section of the road to get in was tough, but take it slow and if you’ve got decent clearance you should be ok. We’re in an e350 super duty, 2wd, regular road tires and we’re fine. We did see a few people getting stuck who tried to go left after the road in instead of right, so be aware. Front river spots got packed on a Sunday night and it was very social, some people were still fairly loud a few spots down up until 11pm, at communal campfires. Tons of vans, but everyone was super nice. Good Verizon service as well.

Black Friday Gift: 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift