Lewis and Clark National Forest, MONTANA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Lewis and Clark National Forest Camping Reviews
Not my kind of camping

I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to a site. I treasure seclusion, trees, and a lack of crowds/people. This site is by some beautiful water, but that’s about all it has. No trails, everything is wide open and people can really get packed in there. That being said, it’s ok for a quick weekend trip if you live in Helena. Not my first, second, or third choice tho. Lots of RV’s. Keep in mind that this is the same for all of the sites in the canyon ferry/Missouri River area. Just not for me.

Small free campground with plenty to do

Atkinson Park Campground at the north west corner of Cascade offers free camping at the north end of the park. Camping at the park appears to most suited to RV camping as they don't want any camping outside of the parking pads due to not wanting damage to their sprinkler system. That being said it appears that you should have room for your vehicle and a tent as long as you did not have a trailer with you. The park has a pavilion with running water, and BBQ grills. Flushing toilets are also available. The individual camp sites do not have tables or fire rings. Camping is limited to three nights. It appears that the campground has 4 sites, sites 2, 3 and 6 are marked, another spot which I assume is site 1 looks the same as 2& 3, could not find any place that might be sites 4 and 5. Additional recreational activities are available during your stay. The park has a nice sized playground, tennis courts, horseshoe pits and a skate park. For the RV crowd there is a free RV dump at the entrance to the campground. The campground sits along side the interstate so you will have plenty of road noise throughout the night. While this would not be my choice for a location to camp, it is a free camp ground that would be a good spot to stay the night for a tired traveler

Review of Outdoor Element's Firebiner at Duck Creek camping area

Review of Duck Creek camping area

This was our second camp at Duck Creek this year with our Venturing Crew. This time we conducted a wilderness survival camp at the far opposite end of the camping area from our last camp. We constructed our survival shelters on the sand and gravel shore of Canyon Ferry Lake. We picked the shore in order to get away from the bugs. The cottonwoods and willows held plenty of little vampires looking for blood, the grassy areas had fewer mosquitoes but a recent hatch had occurred and although they didn't bite all those bugs made you thing you were being attacked. So the beach it was, it was amazing that you could walk out on the beach and not have any bugs, what a slight breeze will do. After setting up our shelters it was time to build a fire and cook dinner. Our site had a rock ring built into the sand, but we found this to be to close to the trees for our liking as the wind would blow embers into the vegetation. We built a new ring next to the water for the nigh. You will be unable to find our fire ring as any evidence of our visit was removed the next morning…Leave no trace. Their is no problem finding fire wood at duck creek drift wood is everywhere. If you want to stay at Duck Creek be prepared, this is primitive camping. No vault toilets, no water, no trash service, no metal fire rings, but you do have cell service.

Ranger review of the Firebiner from Outdoor Element.

Gave the firebinder to one of our Scouts to get a fire started, sparks up really well, she had a little problem due to how windy was, but a second try with a cotton ball covered in petroleum jelly had a fire going after three strikes. Our Scouts gave the striker five stars. The cutting blade worked well on string and fishing line, how ever we could not get through 550 para cord, and with such a small opening you are really limited on what you can cut with it. Over all everyone likes the look of the firebiner, and it held up to a weekend of use, is small and light weight and has worked well for clipping items on to packs.

Legit.

This place is pretty neat. 12 permanent campsites each with a fire ring and picnic table. Potable water and vault toilets are also available on site. We stayed for a weekend and had the place to ourselves. Easy access to plenty of hiking and decent fishing. Definitely worth checking out.

A nice lil place to be

I went just overnight to go watch the metor shower. I camped in a tent. Deer wandered into the campground throughout the night and morning. You can hear logging creek moving from no matter where you are. The road was a lil rough with the washed out gullies in the road with the cattle guards. But I overall loved it.

RV disperse camping on Canyon Ferry Lake

You almost don't realize that this area open to camping and would drive right by if it were not for a plywood sign just after crossing a cattle guard. The plywood has just a few signs on it, one listing the number of nights you can camp for. The others are the camping rules, travel restrictions and notice that spot must be occupied at night. This camping area is a mile north of Confederate Campground. When you look back up the road leading to the camping area you can notice a vault toilet in the distance. It is over a½ mile to this vault toilet down a two track road. One flat grassy camping spot can be found about half way to the toilet. This grassy spot is your best bet if you have a tent with out a crowd. The spot is on the shore of the lake with just a few young willows between you and the water. The remainder of the camping appears to happen just after the ADA vault toilet.  A few more grassy spots are possible near the vault toilet, then there is a narrow section of gravel beach on which RV's turn in to a parking area. The RV's line up one right behind the other on this beach as this is the only real level place to park. No other services besides the ADA vault toilet is available so come prepared. The area has no picnic tables and any fire rings are on the beach made by previous visitors. The site does not have a boat ramp, but the gravel shore would make it easy to launch one.

Pretty good campground

Was a pretty decent campground to camp at. It was mostly TT staying there at the time we went and seen wildlife within the first 30 min of setting up. Swimming area is nice and water was warm however it may have been too hot to tent camp. There was only a few places to find shade to set up a tent but we were unable to fine a shady spot for throughout the day that's the only reason for the 4 and not 5 stars.

Very nice.

In response to Adrian S, who posted similarly under another name on Google….some facts are being left out.  She stated “after reading the rules about tents” the hosts tried to “extort money from them”. If they read the rules they state camp sites are for one camping unit with one tent allowed for children 17 and under.  When asked about the tent they initially said it would be occupied by adults, when told them about the rules they stated there would be a ch8ld joining them….so it was dropped.  In addition, we wouldn’t ask them to pay more for another adult tent, they would be asked to obtain a second site.  As for stepping in front of her husband….he was speeding throughout the campsite (the two were obviously having a disagreement, but the speeds he was traveling in his anger, could have hurt someone. He did almost hit me as I tried to get him to slow down, but definitely didn’t “throw” myself in front of him….I had to move out of his way….and she wasn’t in site of the occurrence.  When she came walking past I asked if that was her husband and when she confirmed it was, I told her he needed to slow down in the campground and she proceeded to start cussing at me…to which I responded “no problem, I’ll just call the Sheriff.

I normally don’t respond to criticism…if I’m in the wrong and/or true facts are stated.

Popular with the boating, fishing, and RV croud!

Usually pretty well filled up most last spring and summer weekends.  Not so busy during weekdays.

Listed twice

This campsite is listed twice. Maybe someone added a new one and didn’t see this one. This one does have a good description of the campsite. Great campsite. The pictures should give a good idea of the area and the great campground. As well as rules and costs. The river is across the highway.