The best GROUP camping near
Ismay , MONTANA

Most Recent Ismay Camping Reviews
Pine on Rocks campground

This was one of several sites up a winding steep but paved road where trailers are not allowed. We had a very private site #20 with our own clean private vault toilet and garbage can. It was down a single track rutted road but our 24’ pop up truck camper made it with ease. We could see some of the hoodoos if we walked around. There was lots of room to set up a tent and just wander around. Cost was $14. We had groupings of pine trees for shade as it can get hot there even in Late September.

There is a campground for larger RVs but they are on asphalt closer to the entrance. They were crowded and it looked hot there.

This place is so cool!

It seems like I’ve said every campground on my trip was awesome. However it was my first time to the west AND The Dyrt helped me plan my trip so I found some AWESOME campgrounds.

Makoshika Stare Park has a Triceratops on the sign, how can you not get excited about checking it out! Kids would love this park.

The campground I stayed at has a reservable TP , a pit toilet and good sized sites but not much shade. My site ran right up to the edge of a drop off. My Pomeranian , being the bonehead he is jumped right in ! Luckily it was only about 6 or 7 feet.

The hiking was …well… Awesome! Lol You can actually walk through the hills and on top and around. There were rabbits appearing and disappearing. There were benches in interesting places. Informational markers and interesting spots.

Excellent place to bring the kids.

Good stop over site with beautiful scenery

Pros: Scenery is beautiful, staff are helpful, fellow campers quiet and respectful. Con: due to landscape and close proximity of sites there is little privacy. Lots of loud generators.

no bad spirits here

this a fantastic park full of geographic wonders and beautiful vistas. we had a wonderful stay here

no bad spirits here

Awesome Campsite!

I stayed in campsite 31, which is located very deep into the park after the pavement has ended. But it was so isolated and amazing! Couldn’t see another campsite or hear a single other group. And the view was amazing! These photos I attached were taken directly from my site. Sadly the smoke from the fires on the west coast has made its way over, but it was still very peaceful. Only downside was that I had to drive to the toilets, but I highly recommend!

Hot

Camp sites close together, no privacy due to topography, minimal shade, and very hot. Sites well-maintained and clean. Campers all quiet and respectful. Great camp hosts.

Peaceful

The RV area we camped in had 9 sites, we were on the end in site 9. We put our picnic table on the far side of the RV and felt like we were alone with a beautiful view of the landscape. The sunset and sunrise on the rocks was beautiful and there was a great view of the starry sky at night. It's rare that you get to be so close to nature in an RV site. There's also a disc golf course, and biking/hiking trails. The only negative was that the water was at the entrance, a bouncy mile long road from the site and we didn't know that until we got to the site.

Hot but beautiful

The campground is non-electric, so remember that if you like to run your AC when it is 100+! Luckily, a rain shower cooled it off for us. There were only a handful of people staying there. The hosts were super nice and drove around to check on everyone often. Wish we would have booked the teepee spot so we could hang out in it. Luckily, we did not see any rattlesnakes, though I heard there are giant ones in the park. Lots of hiking trails. Overall, a gorgeous place to explore.

Fun night in a Tipi!

We rented the tipi campsite and it was super cool! Campground host was very nice and gave us recommendations for hikes. We even saw a dinosaur spine fossil! Makoshika state park is truly a hidden gem.