Mendon, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Mendon Camping Reviews
Our family favorite

We have been to Wakonda twice and really enjoyed the RV parking area. There is plenty of space to spread out, the hookups are well maintained, and the bath house is also kept up. The small lakes don't allow motors over 9hp so they is not much nose to be concerned with. Each parking site has steps down to the lake for bank fishing. There are also John boats and kayaks for rent. Finally, there is a sandy beach for swimming. The rates are very cheap as it is a state park.

Camp,cave,and winery!

Clean hot showers, nuff said.

Small but very nice snack shop that serves cold and hot sandwiches. They will deliver your meal to the winery, nice touch. The winery also had live music hat wasn’t loud and shut down early. The grounds is only 2 miles outside of Hannibal and is walkable if fit. My buddy and I walked in but took Uber back.

Nice place.

Nice campground, bit overpriced

Nice clean campground. We were in off season with pool being closed etc… thought prices were too high for not having any amenities. One bath house was very dirty. I told front desk and they said well it’s going to close soon for the winter. I still think they should keep it cleaned until it’s closed. We did like the nice rv sites though.

Army Corps of Engineers sute

Very quiet and beautiful here. We are on site 93 with a partial view of the Mark Twain lake. Had to use blocks site goes down hill. Stayed 2 nights for $18 total with National senior pass. Electric hookup only. 91 degrees needed fan air movement. Water and dump are $24 a night. They also have tent camping.

Great park

This park is very clean and well maintained. There is a lot to do from hunting, fishing, hiking, and more. There are usually a lot of horse back riders on the hiking trails. Overall a great place to spend a weekend

Awesome spot!

This is an Army Corps spot which are our favorites to stay in. Sites were large, level and easy to back into. Facilities were clean. There is a marina with an ice cream shop and the kids can feed the fish. We found a few trails that led to the lake which was a lot of fun. The only downside is that there was no place to swim. All in all, we really liked Ray Behrens!

Quiet and relaxed

very nice easy access very quiet grat ammenities

Cozy campground on Mark Twain Lake

The rain was a pain but didn't ruin Mark Twain! Though I grew up outside of St. Louis, I'd never been to this campground or to Mark Twain Lake.  Really enjoyed exploring the area and the campground was nice.  Showers were a short walk and campsites had a decent amount of privacy.  The Loop we were on was really better suited to motor homes and we were tent camping.  We had two tents and had to set them up in kind of a odd location near the loop road. Some sites were better then others but I wouldn't come back to this exact site to pitch a tent. If you have a camper though, its great.

You are right on the lake here, though it's a bluff so when you get to the edge, there is a steep drop off. It's very pretty and my kids are 9 and 11 so I wasn't worried but if there were much younger I'd be concerned about letting them wander toward the lake as they could slip and fall in.  Since part of the reason I take the kids camping is to be able to let them explore, I'd go to another area with younger kiddos.

That being said, there was a trail that you could take for about 10 minutes that took you down to water level and is decent for swimming.

We took a day trip to Hannibal, which is a fun little town. Took in the Mark Twain Museum and took a riverboat cruise. On another day, we rented a pontoon boat to explore the lake, which I'd recommend as well.

Once you get the to the campground, you are at least 30 minutes from any store, gas station, etc, to stock up.

We were there mostly during the week and it was very quiet.  As it got closer to the weekend, it started to really fill up and get more lively. Mostly families and such so didn't mind but just a heads up.

In the end, lovely area, really well maintained campground and would recommend.

Friendly, quiet, clean

We were fortunate to find this quiet campground just south of Rushville. Friendly staff, clean restroom & showers. Will definitely stay here again.

Great tent and Camper site

This is the most common place my friends and family camp at for Mark Twain Lake. Very clean and well kept. The kids bike around on the pavement and play in the little park. Great access to a few coves too. Very close to Black Jack Marina and a boat launch.

Maybe ok for RVs

We camped in a couple of cabins years ago and weren’t too fond of them. These were the older cabins in the back with the RVs. Very thin walled. The place had a sewer smell but I heard they were fixing it.

Very clean park

Very well kept park with lots of fishing areas.

Nice and well maintained

Very nice park and not to near a train. Very modern facilities that were clean.

Very nice

Very nice. Clean rest rooms and coin op showers. There were a lot of ticks, but the camp was quiet. I saw many people fishing.

Awesome family fun

The park is clean and family friendly. The beach is a great addition for some family fun.

Ranger Review: GCI Outdoor Master Cook Station at Mark Twain State Park

Campground Review:

Mark Twain state Park is an absolute blast. approximately 30 minutes from Hannibal MO this park sits on Mark Twain Lake. Several hiking trails in the area will get you in touch with nature and an abundance of deer. Large playgrounds in the camping area's as well as visitor center areas. All loops in this park have electric and basic sites. No water hookups aside from host sites. Best part is all shower houses fairly new. We never located any vault toilets but found all three loops had their own shower house.

Park has a boat ramp with ample parking and if you have better luck than I did a fish cleaning station. While having a boat ramp close may be a deterrent it was rare to have much boat noise with the tall trees surrounding these large private sites.

We stayed in site 76 in puma loop which was a sloping site but it was massive. The lots on either side of ours were similar in layout but much more level. 76 also has a path to the waterfront which we utilized daily.

It rained on us for most of our stay we found Mark twain state park to be well worth the trip.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing the GCI Outdoors Master Cook Station.

While looking at GCIOutdoors.com for the right item for my family to try out we were amazed at the function of their site.  We were able to compare multiple items flawlessly and despite  much debate locate an item we believed may reduce our overall need to pack everything including the kitchen sink. The cook station didn't immediately jump off the page for my wife. She had her heart set on a new rocker chair of which GCI Outdoors has an amazing selection. However, I was able to win her over after pointing out the endless options the Master Cook Station (AKA My Kitchen) Offers.

My Kitchen provides functionality as a table, a cook top, a drying rack, food storage, and does so taking up the same amount of space as a folding chair. Our first night in camp the dreaded dinner bell began ringing and my loving wife walked over to our new kitchen. After cooking, plating, and eating from this beast she looked at me and said, "Never again will I doubt your decision making about anything." (or at least thats how I remember it.) She actual was really impressed how this cook station had taking the stress out of meal time. With a built in sink we were able to cook, eat, and clean from a singular location and when done we could either fold it up and tuck it away or use it for evening activities.

As a pop up camper space is always limited and at a premium. The GCI Outdoor Master Cook Station not only met our expectations it surpassed them. This swiss army table will be a must have among all of our friends and the high quality of this product tells me that we will get to show it off for quite some time.

Quiet, nice lake!

Love this place, it’s quiet and peaceful. Not a lot to do but they are trying. Tent camping, RV and a few cabin rentals, boat docks too where you can bring your boat! There are some hiking trails and pavilions and a softball field. There’s a stage they sometimes have plays and bands. I would give it a 5 stars (it’s in my hometown) but they really need some kind of draw. One shower house and a small playground. It’s worth a stay if you are in the area. It’s clean and neat.

Best tent camping

This campground has the best tent camping sites we have stayed at. It also has great hiking! We have been 2 times and plan to go again!

Great place!

I’ve camped and hiked at Siloam Springs several times. Great hiking trails for all ages. Nice hiking loop for backpacking camping. Had a great time taking a scout troop out on the lake. I actually haven’t fished it much but everyone around here loves to catch trout there.

Nice park

We enjoy this park, nice hiking trails and lake. Also has a camp store and boat rentals.

Excellent campground

Well maintained campground with clean restrooms, we love camping here.

Hidden Gem

After hours on my motorcycle I needed a place to set up camp for the night. Found this place out of pure luck. Set up camp in the dark, when I woke up the view was amazing! Beautiful little river runs right by the campground. Amenities are basic, but in reality that's all you need.

Quiet

Nice quiet CG. Small lake and good fishing

Great place

Good sights, great horse trails, awesome camping

Camp grounds are clean and easily accessible if that's what you're after. Also have a few hike in spots. Lots of boating and fishing. Also has areas for hunting during the seasons.

Great Park

The lake is great for boating and fishing and there are boats for rent during the warmer seasons. The camp grounds are good and there are a few small cabins for rent. There are also hiking and biking trails around the lake.

Free camping and boats. Fish Hatchery, Lake.

Another cool find in Missouri. Lake in Conservation Area. Doesn't offer much but it was a bit out of the way. Campground was free. Sites are close together. Some spots more shaded than others. They had rowboats and canoes you could paddle around in. You just needed your own life jacket. The boats were free. There was a shelter with picnic tables by the lake. I like hiking and wished there was a trail that went all around the lake but was only able to go a partial, short way. Still a nice place to stay. Quiet. Looked like there was a ranger station there and fish hatchery but it was closed the two days we were there. So I don't know what all was in the building. Clean pit toilets. Lots of ducks on the lake.

Nice family fun but pricey.

Great for a family with kids of all ages. The activities are not all day, so plan on some campside entertainment before 10am and after 6pm. Lake blow ups are included in price, but you must have a life vest. Bring your own to save money. Very clean and there is always a campground employee around if you need help. Well worth it if you plan ahead for the extra fees.

Magical, private, peaceful!

There is something really magical about the campground we stayed at in Mark Twain! The designated spots feel secluded since they are bordered by forest. We got a spot right off the water and woke up to the sound of it in the morning. The hiking trails near by are also really beautiful and right along the river. Definitely recommend!