the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Boat In
Shabbona Lake State Park is located in Illinois
11 Reviews of Shabbona Lake State Park
Good and bad

There are some good sites, and others not so good. Early Reservations needed. This is a nice state park, mostly for fishing, We spent 5 nights here last Memorial Day weekend, and were lucky to get a spot, even if it wasn’t one of the good ones. Showers and bathroom were clean. The sites were large and well spaced. Would go back

Beautiful lake, loud area

I was so excited to camp at this park unfortunately for the most part, I was let down. I wish the website would of included more photos of the sites. I picked a spot near the water and it turned out to be completely open to about 3 other campsites. I prefer camping in a more secluded area. The worst part in my opinion, were the freight trains at night. I heard at least 5 trains & they were all blowing their horns. Maybe it would be better in you were in a camper but it’s definitely not a good spot of tent camping.

I will say however, that I appreciated the fact that you could rent boats, canoes, and paddle boards on the beautiful lake.

Beautiful lake

If you like fishing this is where you should camp. the lake is huge and beautiful, some of the best fishing in the area. They have boats to rent and a bait shop for everything you will need.

Great Spot!

Took our camper for a long weekend and loved it! nice private site, not too far from the lake. Rented a pontoon boat and went fishing! We really enjoyed it there! Only minor setback was no water hookup at the site. There is a fill station at the entrance and water spigots at the bathrooms, so it wasn’t terrible, especially if you’re only there for one night. Beautiful campground overall!

The forest among the corn fields

Great campground with tent, rv, and cabin spots available. All within easy walking distance to the lake. Camp store and two boat rental spots allow for flexiblity on busier weekends. Numerous walking paths around the lake or smaller loops for those who prefer the land over the water. Can get very busy on holiday weekends during the summer.

Great for Camping & Fishing

We have camped at Shabbona State Park times. It's a nice campground that is popular with campers from Chicago.

There are 150 electric sites located in 3 loops. Canvasback Cove and Meganser Circle are reservable. Teal Bay is first come first serve.

Each site has a gravel driveway, electricity, a large fire ring, and a picnic table. Most have a non-gravel area that is suitable for tents. Many sites are wooded.

There is a large man-made lake with is popular with area fisherman.

There is a camp store with boat rentals. Fishing poles can be checked out for kids to fish at the Kid's Fishing Hole.

Pit toilet are located throughout the park. There is a large bathhouse with 3 toilets and 5 shower stalls on each site.

Great fishing lake

The lake has produced a lot of trophy fish, if that’s your thing. Otherwise it’s quiet and peaceful. We like to go just to chill and read out out in the woods.

illinois state park

This is a tylical illinois state park. Tun down and not well taken care of. Positive is the lake.

Lots to do

I think it’s a great park. Sites are good and large. Bathrooms are a mess and dirty. Has two beaches and you can rent boats including pontoons. The local town doesn’t have much to offer but the little convenience store makes the worlds best potato salad in the world.

Shabbona Lake SP is the first I have seen promoting the Lottery

It was funny as I was driving into the campground there was a huge sign promoting the Illinois State Lottery, it seemed a little out of place.

Shabbona Lake State Park is fair to average. I am not a big fisherman, so there are probably some who will disagree with my assessment. There is a lot of fishing and hunting in this park. The campground is average. The positives are that it has a lot of good shade trees and there are boat rentals if you are like me and don't want to drive cross country with a boat.

If you are a local and like to hunt and fish, this is probably for you. If you are coming just to camp move on, you can do better.

FYI: If you come in on a gravel road and you come up to a house on a hill with a whole bunch of maintenance equipment you are in the right place. Your GPS took you to the back entrance to the park headquarters. Just keep driving past the maintenance equipment, you will eventually find the park.