Standard (Tent/RV)
About Shabbona Lake State Park

The Shabbona Lake SRA campground has available 150 Class A Premium campsites, with 90 campsites available for advanced reservation through www.reserveamerica.com. Additionally, 60 campsites are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. All sites have electricity, picnic table, fire rings, and vehicle access. A sanitary dump station is available to all campers. One family is allowed per campsite, or four unrelated adults with up to two tents. Campers must be ready to camp upon arrival. The campground may be closed during the spring thaw due to road conditions. Alcohol is prohibited. To check on the status of the campground or for further information, call 815-824-2106 during the week or the campground check station at 815-824-2565 on weekends.

There is also a Campground Store on-site that offers firewood, groceries, snacks, ice cream, camping supplies, fishing tackle, and boat rentals.

Camp Cabin Two rent-a-camp cabins are available at the park. The rustic cabins have two rooms and will accommodate a maximum of six people. They are located on the shore of Shabbona Lake. Electric baseboard heat allows year-round use of the cabins. No Pets are allowed in the cabins with the exception of service animals.

Youth Group Shabbona Lake's Youth Group camping area will accommodate two groups of up to 50 campers each. Water and privies are available at the site, but there is no electricity.

Hike In
RVs and Trailers
30 amp Hookups
No 50 amp Hookups
Max Length: 40 ft.
Shabbona Lake State Park is located in Illinois
23 Reviews of Shabbona Lake State Park
Fishing and Boating fun

Love going to this campground. Always nice and clean. Bath/showers are very clean with hot water. Nicely kept grounds with a beautiful lake for dock and boat fishing. You can rent boats and they have a nice camping store. Downside, not too many other things to do. Long drive to get into town and not much there but a gas station and grocery store.

Fall Camping at Shabbona

We have been to Shabbona a few times, and have always had a great time!  We really enjoy their pontoon boat rentals and fishing.  The view from our site was great.  Appreciated the little path behind our site that lead to the water.  My kiddos enjoyed hiking throughout and catching frogs.  I was disappointed that the water was already turned off (the lady at the store said she thinks it was due to covid??).  It was also disappointing that the camp store closed on a Saturday, didn't give notice that the last day to buy firewood was on Friday, and then it would be first come, first serve.  Because of the water/campstore closing I did give it 4 stars instead of 5.  My husband said the latrines in Canvasback Cove were "decent".  The main shower house with flushing toilets was clean.  Sites are not very private, but the fall colors made up for it.  We did name the tree our camper was under "baby spider tree".  Oddly, our last day we woke up to TONS of baby spiders all over our campsite dangling from the tree… pretty gross, but we can laugh about it now, lol.  Overall, we will be back next spring since it is a close campground.  May try a campsite in the other circle.

Great place

Been camping here a couple times! Really fun, the have boat rentals, and fishing. Only down fall is the sites were too close to each other

Nice Family Campground for fishing

I have tent camped here for years. Sometimes we've even just come to fish for the day. I've caught bass and trout mainly along with some small perch and sunfish. The campground gets busy during the summer, but being an ILDNR state-run campground it's open all year with more limited amenities in the off-season. In the summer I like the reservable sites (119-116) overlooking the lake in Canvasback Cove. Across the same loop wooded sites (136-141) offer a little more privacy with less of any kind of view. Those are my favorite sites to camp with little kids because they are close to the "stocked" kids fishing pond which makes them feel so happy to easily catch a little fish. They become fishermen/ladies for life. They are not near the bathhouse though which is just a quick walk or drive.

In the off season, Canvasback Cove is not usually closed like the other side of the campground. Without little kids in the colder months, I still camp at those sites. One year I made the mistake of camping at 117 in December. I have no problem winter camping, but that time of year the winds blow over the semi-frozen lake making it about 20 degrees colder.

During the summer the campground is often packed. I hear some sites are better than others and of course you never know how rowdy people can get.

Still the fishing is awesome and you can bring your own boat or rent one, so on the water it's pretty tranquil if you love to fish.

Shabbona Lake State Park

Will definitely be back!

First time taking the camper out and it was the perfect campground. Got there early Saturday morning and there were only a few sites left. I would suggest making reservations or getting there on a Friday. Our site was wooded which we loved. Neighbors all around but still secluded. Lake was beautiful! Boat rentals available.

Beautiful lake, mediocre camping

The lake is beautiful. We did some fishing from the shore.

We went last minute and got one of the few remaining tent camping spots remaining.

These are a long walk from the lake and the bathrooms. Only pit toilets within walking distance.

Not a place we would go back to.

Great family campground!

Always have a great time here. Easy to get around and very calm environment. Close drive to starved rock state park

Gem of a campground

Lots to do, fishing, hiking, exploring. Good size campsites with nice shade trees. Close to all areas. Wildlife. Bait shop and camp store. Was there on 4th of July excellent fireworks display.

Nice place to Camp

I love to camp at this place because the park has nice sites to camp. I stayed at the site #90 it was a big space and had alot of trees around that made a perfect shade. In addition, the park has a lake and you can rent a boat and have fun. The only thing i did not like was the people in the front of my site had a a party an making alot of noise and not following the park quiet hours. Enjoy camping everyone !

Nicely kept State Park.

This state park is on a terrific fishing lake. It has first come camping as well as reserved spaces. Some reserved spots have a nice lake overlook. The loops have pit toilets that are clean, as well as a shower house with flush toilets centrally located. The hosts do a nice job of keeping things tidy and organized. The spaces are roomy and a mix of open grass as well as more private wooded spaces. At least half of the spaces will accommodate large RVs. All of the spaces will work for tents. There is only electric at the premium sites, but the dump station has two spaces and the lines move right along. There is a place to take on water as you enter the campground. The lake has a restaurant and bait shop and boat rentals. The fishing can be fantastic.