Standard (Tent/RV)
No 50 amp Hookups
Max Vehicle Length Unknown
Blackwell Family Campground is located in Illinois
11 Reviews of Blackwell Family Campground
Weekend Camping with lots of activities

For years, this was our go-to campground for weekend nearby adventures. Over the years, the price has increased and at $30 per site for non-residents, it's a bit steep for tent camping for me (so I left off a star rating). All sites are electric, so if you are tent camping and want your fan or slow-cooker, then it's as good as it gets in the burbs. It's located in a beautiful wooded Dupage County Forest preserve. While the sites are pretty close together, there are a few good ones that feel more secluded. Designated chip bark tent sites are level. The grounds are very well maintained. While I didn't camp here this year, I took these photos the last weekend in October to give everyone a sense of how nice this campground could be for them. My favorite sites over the years were the ones closest to Silver Lake along the South Loop road because those sites have the best views. For privacy, my favorite site is #27 on the north loop road which makes you feel like you are alone in the woods. Other than plenty of hiking options including a big hill, the fishing is outstanding. There are lots of places along the lake and ponds to get an easy catch and release. There is also archery, a dog park, picnic areas, boat rental/ramp, and a compass course. It is a great place for families. I've brought cub scouts here and my kids' friends. Heads-up that sites 21 & 22 may not be able to see traffic on the busy Winfield Rd in the summer, but you will still hear it at those sites.

Good options for urban camping

If you want to try camping in the Chicagoland area without traveling far afield, you could do worse. Most of the sites have a chip pad for tents and concrete for the vehicle. Site 20 is turf and nicely secluded. Most of the sites are partial shade. County park district runs it and the fees are kinda steep, 20 res/30 non-res

Great!

Great enviorment

Group Camp for Scouts

Although the group sites are separate from the main part of the park, a short multi-use trail connects the two. Our Scouts were able to walk down to access the lake and fish. Additionally, there's an open space for sports/games and some great climbing trees within the group area. A connecting trail to the bike path that runs throughout Blackwell is available.

Each group site has a nice cooking are and open space for tents. We had a group of about 20 kids plus moms and dads, so we grabbed three sites in the same area. This made for a great private space for our pack: three areas to prep meals or crafts and plenty of space on the perimeter for tents, leaving open room to play.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this campground

Located only 30 miles outside the city, and conveniently only 10 mins from my house, this is the perfect little getaway. The website is very descriptive when it comes to photos and explaining the campsite (I.e if it’s wooded or open) which I loved. I feel like I was able to pick the perfect spot. There’s so much to do too from the lake to hiking! Most sites also have electricity hook ups! For only $20 a night for DuPage residents this place is perfect!

Hidden Gem

Just outside of Chicago, we have been staying here for quick weekend trips and absolutely love the proximity to home. They have discounted rates for Dupage county residents and have electric at all sites and great prices for firewood. Sites are level and clean and they have modern bathrooms. We take our kayaks to the lake during the summer and Illinois just did away with reg stickers this year.

Great County park

Stay here several times each year. Only down side of the park is that it is only open on the weekends. On holiday weekends you are able to stay for three nights. The sites are crushed limestone and are level and wooded. There is one bathroom/shower building at the front of the campground. There are some clean outhouses places around the campground. If you are staying here to see Chicago the gates close for the park an hour after sunset.

Great fishing

These sites are for boy/Girl Scout or large groups only. The trails are nice and the water is crystal clear. Nice place for a winter hike. Canoe rentals and free archery range.

Loved it

We like to hike and this site had great (kid and beginner adult level) trails. We were in town for the Sgt Tommys fishing day and lived that event as well.

Great Hiking!

I always loved going to the parks in Illinois with my grandparents when I was little. They love hiking and nature and definitely got me interested in it also. I love them and miss them everyday.

Year 2021 Flag