Carlyle Lake, ILLINOIS
Most Recent Carlyle Lake Camping Reviews
Love this place!

We love the large beach. The campsites have a nice set up and are a decent size. The kids loved the playground. There were kids everywhere and everyone was very friendly! Fun spot!

Best campground on Rend Lake!

This is hands-down the nicest campground on Rend Lake. With hundreds of sites to choose from with some being tucked into the woods and others sitting right on the lake including some walking intense fights this campground is one of the nicest that you’ll find in Illinois. Plenty of bathrooms and bath houses as well as playgrounds and spacious campsites for larger RVs and plenty of access to the lake.

Beautiful Rend Lake campground

This is an older state park but still has hundreds of well-maintained sites and if you get to some of the first come sites at just the right time you will have a lakefront campsite to enjoy. Easy to get around and plenty of facilities with bath houses and bathrooms as well as playgrounds for the kids and hiking and biking trails.

Clean sites, friendly staff

We camped here on a pretty hot weekend, and most of the sites are well-shaded and mowed. We liked that we could walk down to the water and that there was a bike trail nearby that we could walk on.

EXCELLENT

Great campsite

Black top pads

very clean

excellent view of the lake if your lucky enough to get a lake front spot

fills up very fast

extremely clean showers

Wonderful location

Stayed at site 6. Had full hookups, plenty of space, lots of shade, and a wonderful view. The site is level and also has a picnic table and fire ring. Overlooks the marina so you can watch boats come and go. Would definitely stay again.

Great experience!

Big things happening at Country Bend Campgrounds in Montrgromy Co, IL. This beautiful campground has many things to offer and is only a few minutes from the local drive in movie theater in Litchfield Illinois. It has a pool, swing sets, playground, cabins, ponds with stocked fish, beautiful walking trails, camping, welcome center, baseball field, volleyball, games, horseshoes, paddle boats, miniature golf, and so much more. This family run business is under new management and is welcoming new seasonal campers and day campers with competitive pricing. This beautiful campground is nestled in a scenic area in the country and is pet friendly. It has clean shower houses with warm water. We just purchased our seasonal campsite earlier in the season. Come check out this amazing campground and all it has to offer! Our rough collies will be joining us at this dog friendly campground! There is always something to do here and the owners strive to make it a family place by providing many activities on the weekends. The owners have done an amazing job on this campground and have made it one of the best campgrounds around to create that lasting experience with our children before they grow up!!!

Clean, Friendly Campground

We stayed there July 4th weekend we had a great time.  Everyone was friendly they had many activities plus a swimming pool, putt putt golf, paddle boats and fishing.  It rained our 1st night there we had a big mud hole asked if there was anyway to get rock and they brought rick to get it dry for us.  Already booked our next weekend there.  Can’t wait to see how the improve the campground.

Family Fun Campground

Activities, entertainment and friendly. Small pool and bathhouse could use some attention.

Camping Without Equal

This place is unlike any other. Very clean, usually quiet, rangers drive through everyday making sure all is well with everyone. There is swimming, fires, biking, walking, pretty much everything you’d need when one thinks of camping. Very decently priced. There is something for everyone whether you have just a tent, or a pop up, or a full size RV! If you camp, this HAS to be a place you at least try. Amazing people.

Interesting short stop

This place has a lot of permanent campers on site. Very friendly crowd though

Good for a quick stop

No grass and crushed limestone. Nice pool. Friendly people.

We camp here every summer!

We love Lake Carlyle and Dam West is a great place to camp. CLEAN (and air conditioned) bath houses. The sites are beautiful and well maintained! Great place to bike, hike, and swim at the beach. Close to Wal-Mart and McDonalds!! 😉

Very nice

Right next to Carlyle Lake. Clean campground with electric sites only. Reservations available on line at Reserve America.

Well maintained

This campground is beautiful with lots of gardens and potted plants at a lot of the campsites The host is very friendly, the pool is well maintained, they have a dog park The Host even led us to our spot..

Another Wonderful COE Campground

We visit this campground on a regular basis. Large waterfront campsites, full hookup loop, and 4 other large loops that have electric. Nice new bath house for those who need it. This is a COE campground and takes our senior pass. If you are needing a full hookup site, make sure you book early!
Great campground for taking long walks and bike rides.

Our Favorite Campground!!!

We have been visiting this campground for 4 years! The campground has it all. Full hookups, reservable sites, walk up sites, and all sites are large! Full hookup sites are booked solid so make sure you go online 6 months out or you are out of luck. The campground is perfect for taking long walks and bike riding.
There are two swimming pools close by but none in the campground.
This is a COE campground and takes our senior pass. This is, by far, one of the nicest campgrounds we have been to and we are so fortunate that it’s so close to home.

Clean, trains, slow wifi

We stayed in a tent spot… Had shade and a nice concrete pad to park on. Good clean power. Clean bathrooms and pool looked like it was taken care of.

Tent spots have Charcoal grills, table and benches, and a nice metal cover to sit under if it rains.

It's not in the prettiest location, very industrial and the train tracks run close. First night one came through blowing its horns around 5am.

Spent the day in Forest park, a much prettier place to park and explore.

First come first serve!

This is an ACOE so it is inexpensive and clean😊. There's lots of shade, level lots and waterfront sites. Though there is no water access on each site, it's not far from anyone. Tents are permitted on grass, which you will want to do because the pads have a large gravel on them. Sites are not reservable and campground has been crowded the entire time I have been here. Two weeks is the maximum stay. And it is enforced. [$18 per night]. They do accept America the beautiful pass.

Squatters

Ranger Pioneer Mission Ranger and Product Review : RovR RollR 60 at Contryside Escape Worden, Il

Campground Review: I picked Contryside Escape https://www.hipcamp.com/illinois/grove-on-top-possum-hill/contryside-escape from the Illinois Pioneer List. The reservation was done through Hipcamp https://www.hipcamp.com/ which was fairly easy. Though in some cases you have to write something about yourself and be approved by the Host. Reminds me of a B&B but BYOT. The Host , was very accommodating and showed me the entire area as I was the only one camping and had my pick of the area. There is a secluded area on the backside of the pond near the road however I decided on a more open area under some of the trees because there was weather coming in. The host suggested I pull my truck in so I wouldn’t need to carry all my things in. Did I mention your camping around a pond?! Pro: sound#5 on your wave machine “croaking, chirping frogs” (bring ear plugs ;) Con: MOSQUITOES! Don’t forget your bug spray ! So basically your camping in the hosts front yard, to use the necessary you have to go in the house. The door was left unlocked, (I knocked every time and then entered) up the stairs , down the dark hallway (sorta scary movie-ish) and feel around for the light switch in the bathroom. Clean bathroom , HOT water, I would not take a shower , that’s just me and my creepy factor. (I’m not saying that the host or house is creepy I’m saying I make stuff creepy with my over imaginative mind.) The fence around the camping area is not complete , if your dogs mind they can be off leash. First night sounded like there was a shooting range nearby, and frogs . I visited St Louis ( about 30 minute drive) the next day and returned to sit in the shade and relax…….Once again , your in a front yard and there is a neighbor right there. I think he was working on a motor and then his mower. So not much peace and quiet until almost sundown. It was comfortable weather and enjoyable all the same. Second night coyotes nearby, and frogs. No picnic tables. Lawn chairs and a big fire area plus fire ring in the secluded area.$5 for a rick?? of wood. I would visit again with friends next time. No good State Parks nearby, you would need to travel over an hour.

Product Review: RovR https://rovrproducts.com/ I do like my RollR 60. LOVE the color and look. The add-on’s are pretty spectacular for convenience. There’s a cool selection of foldable box’s which I picked for an add-on. Now all that said, the price is a bit exuberant in my opinion. Compared to like coolers it’s about the same price range. I packed some ice the night before I left to pre-cool the cooler. Some melt but not bad. I packed the food and a cold pack and had room to spare. Cool feature is a “dry box” so any melt doesn’t saturate anything. The RovR is heavy before you pack it so the wheels are definitely a plus. The RovR rode in the truck so the temperature was kept moderate until we arrived. Once at the campsite it sat out , in the shade the rest of the trip. Everything stayed cold and two days later after traveling back home (5 hrs) there was still a frozen chunk in my cold pack.

Wildlife

Never been to a CG with such abundant wildlife! Can sit at your spot and watch deer throughout the day. Spots are first come first serve but seldom sell out. Get there on Wednesday to get a spot on the water!

Good time was had

Went in late April and had a good time with not ideal weather. Kid had a blast at playground with other kids. Cold showers but said they were looking into it. Shut down some karaoke party in a loop around 9pm. Will go back.

Decent campground

Basic amenities,  bath house just ok, bad showers,  fishing not great

Worst campground we’ve ever been to

This campground has changed owners multiple times, and is sorely in need of renovation.  The sites are sunk down, poorly rocked and extremely narrow.  The majority of sites are backup only, which is a recipe for disaster with all of the rain central Illinois has had this Spring.  Be prepared for mud and standing water.  4wd a must

Best COE to date

Clean. Friendly staff. Beautiful area

Best COE campground

Very, very clean. Beautiful area. Friendly staff

Nice

We just stayed one night so didn’t take advantage of most of the amenities but very nice people, clean sites. Sites a little close but overall we would stay again.

Fish and camp on Rend Lake

One of the first campgrounds that you come to at Rend Lake when you get off the highway, this campground has lots of positives and few negatives. Among the positives is that this is a large campground with two loops and two spurs for camping. It didn’t seem to matter where your site was, each was fairly small, on top of each other, and lacking the privacy I like when tent camping. That being said, every site has electric (a plus), and every site looked well maintained. There are quite a few sites on the lake or with lake views, and these seemed to be the most coveted sites. My site was on the lake with a down slope reaching down to the tent/picnic pad (a concern if it was going to rain hard), and littered with sweet gum balls that had not been swept up yet. However, I had plenty of space at my site (#79) to spread out and relax. It was pretty neat to look at the exposed roots of trees along the shore, erosion at work. Not far from the campground is a picnic area and the boat launch. One of the down sides is that you can clearly hear the highway from the campground, and of course if you have a lake site, you will have plenty of boat noise. Speaking of boats, most people seemed to be fishing. The campground does not have a fish cleaning station in it but up near the golf course (you drive past it to get to the campground) there is an almost new looking fish cleaning station.

Great lake views here

I tried to camp here in the primitive tent area, however the primitive campground was closed and I could not find anyone who could tell me when or if it would reopen. There was a sign stating it was closed in October due to staffing issues. So I took a drive through the Class A campground just to see it. Here’s what I discovered: the primitive section is far removed from the Class A (by a mile or two). The Class A section is HUGE! There were several loops and spurs, including one set aside for volunteers only and one that was for Reserve America only (I’ve never seen that before). I am guessing that the primitive section has some lake access or views like the Class A section does (and the lake views are great!). Looks like a burn was done recently to clear out brush and fall leaves along the backs of a couple of loops.  There is a bike trail that seems to go throughout the park but is in pretty bad shape. I would not use a good bike on this and would bring some patches and spare tubes. All sites had the requisite picnic tables and fire rings. There were two campground host sites, but no one seemed on duty to answer my questions. All of the spring flowers were blooming in the woods along the bike trail, which was nice to look at as I bounced down the lanes.