the dyrt
About Mississippi Palisades State Park
Mississippi Palisades State Park is located in Illinois
5 Reviews of Mississippi Palisades State Park
Camping and Rock Climbing in the Midwest

My wife and I tent camped here last weekend… the tent sites are relatively close together leaving little room to feel secluded but nice flat ground and each site has its own fire pit. restrooms and showers 1/8 mile walk away which isn’t bad! Not the best but also not the worst. We try and here whenever we rock climb in the area as it allows us to get to the climbing sites earlier.

Park on the Mississippi

Ok park and campground but not much to do unless you drive up to galena. We were eaten alive by chiggers when we sat out for awhile to relax

Great river front hiking close to Galena

I loved this state park growing up. I remember lovely hikes here in hardwood forests. Sandstone bluffs speckled the landscape. There are a couple fun hike and picnic areas on the bluffs overlooking the river. It's a great stop on your way to Savanna or Galena.

Mississippi Palisades State Park

Located near the town of Savanna, IL, and the Mississippi River, this state park is a nice place to visit. Large sites with the usual amenities can be found among the tall trees. I camped here with a large group spread out among the sites and we were able to use the shelter for meals. Camping here on my own, I discovered helpful people and rangers who found a place out of the flooded areas (during a rainy year) with a free night from somebody who had to leave early. Hiking trails are available with varying difficulties. This is a nice stop if you are bicycling along the Mississippi River.

The Ol' Palisades

Very well set up campgrounds with plenty of electrical, non-electric sites. Very few primitive sites, if that's what you're looking for.

Trail system is divided into North and South. North trails are scenic, with a casual non-technical difficulty to them. South trail system is challenging, especially because of the varied terrain it traverses, however they (N&S) systems are prone to serious erosion that needs to be addressed. Campsites are ample, and plenty to choose from.

I'd go back a few more times during the year.