About Mississippi Palisades State Park
Mississippi Palisades State Park is located in Illinois
8 Reviews of Mississippi Palisades State Park
Super Scenic and Massive Campground

This might be one of our favorite campgrounds in the area. It has trails for walking and lots of concrete for riding bikes. We did both. The park is close to the River and has plenty of places to put your boat in across the highway. Hiking trails range from super short and easy with amazing views, to winding around the forest for a mile or so.

We stayed on the weekend and it was not full, but that could be because there are close to 250 sites. When booking it was hard to pick to be honest as there are so many choices. Some sites are massive…as in .25 an acre that you drive over the grass to get too your site bc it is situated away from the road. Other sides are just simple drive through. We saw lots of families doing many different types of camping which was awesome.

Bathrooms/shower houses are located in a couple locations, but they also have pit toilets for individuals to use as well. Either way you are not far from whatever your needs. We chose a site with electric and some shade that was not too far off the street. We went way back into the campground in site 193. It was perfect to be honest.

We have a scamp and there was plenty of shade to keep it cool and we also saw fellow scampers as well.

We will certainly be back!

Scenic views along the Mississippi

There are 241 Class A and B sites at the Mississippi Palisades. Electrical hookups are available at 110 sites. Showers and flush toilets are situated in three buildings and are in operation from May 1 until Oct 31. You can pick up supplies at a camp convenience store, open during the summer. The campground also features water and two sanitary dump stations. Only campers with permits are allowed in the campground, with admittance prohibited from 10 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. Reservations are no longer being taken for the Class A and B sites at Mississippi Palisades.

The camping fees are different for motor homes and tents, depending on your needs. Fees for tent camping are $6-$8 per day.

Nice hiking, right on river

This campground was a nice new campers test. The site was flat and there was some hiking and we definitely took advantage of being able to walk down to the park by the river. The river was separated from the campground by a major road which was a shame and I felt like more could be done so people can enjoy the riverside.

There was a nice firepit and it was a peaceful area.

I wouldn't come back here again just because I feel we saw everything there was to see. But it was great for a weekend!

Camping and Rock Climbing in the Midwest

My wife and I tent camped here last weekend… the tent sites are relatively close together leaving little room to feel secluded but nice flat ground and each site has its own fire pit. restrooms and showers 1/8 mile walk away which isn’t bad! Not the best but also not the worst. We try and here whenever we rock climb in the area as it allows us to get to the climbing sites earlier.

Park on the Mississippi

Ok park and campground but not much to do unless you drive up to galena. We were eaten alive by chiggers when we sat out for awhile to relax

Great river front hiking close to Galena

I loved this state park growing up. I remember lovely hikes here in hardwood forests. Sandstone bluffs speckled the landscape. There are a couple fun hike and picnic areas on the bluffs overlooking the river. It's a great stop on your way to Savanna or Galena.

Mississippi Palisades State Park

Located near the town of Savanna, IL, and the Mississippi River, this state park is a nice place to visit. Large sites with the usual amenities can be found among the tall trees. I camped here with a large group spread out among the sites and we were able to use the shelter for meals. Camping here on my own, I discovered helpful people and rangers who found a place out of the flooded areas (during a rainy year) with a free night from somebody who had to leave early. Hiking trails are available with varying difficulties. This is a nice stop if you are bicycling along the Mississippi River.

The Ol' Palisades

Very well set up campgrounds with plenty of electrical, non-electric sites. Very few primitive sites, if that's what you're looking for.

Trail system is divided into North and South. North trails are scenic, with a casual non-technical difficulty to them. South trail system is challenging, especially because of the varied terrain it traverses, however they (N&S) systems are prone to serious erosion that needs to be addressed. Campsites are ample, and plenty to choose from.

I'd go back a few more times during the year.