About Illinois Beach State Park
Illinois Beach State Park is located in Illinois
40 Reviews of Illinois Beach State Park
Great in the off season

This park has a fair amount of trees throughout which gives a greater sense of privacy than most state parks. As usual, the facilities were well maintained and the park was clean. The beach was great for morning walks but that draw makes it seem that this park is probably packed in the summer. Location of hiking trails from campsite isn't super clear but head south for the longest trails. If it's been raining a lot I'd be wary as many of the sites were completely underwater when we went. It's a great place to take your dog with you! (Beware if they have long hair though, the pine trees meant I had to cut sap out of my dog's hair in several places.)

Always a great choice

We visited this fall and were happy. I always forget that the sites in the 340’s are awesome. There was some flooding but it didn’t effect our trip.

Large sites, nice showers and beautiful Lake Michigan!

The sites are large and nice. There are some sites that aren't very level so you do need to check that out if you're in a larger rv. We had the beach mostly to ourselves. We camped from Monday to Thursday after school had started back. We will be returning to this campground. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. The only down side we found was the limited shower and toilet facilities for such a large campground. We didn't have any trouble because of the time we were camping but it would be a problem if the campground was pretty full.

No privacy

I enjoy Illinois beach state park for a quick getaway. It’s a great spot to cook out and have a beer. However it is generally loud, with no vegetation between you and your neighbor. It’s not an ideal spot to connect with nature. The beach is pretty but it’s more interesting to look at the derelict old buildings and nearby out of use nuclear power plant.

It’s a state campground

Stayed in spot 275. Nice big spot with shade. We have a 36 ft 5th wheel with slide outs on both sides. Remember no sewer and water. They have a dump station on the way out.

Pretty!

This campsite was very pretty. The beach was nice and they are doing construction to make it even better. The bathrooms were rough at night but clean and smelled amazing in the morning!

Right on Lake Michigan

Maintained campground, sites aren’t very secluded. Easy access to the beach.

Really neat place

Fun activities for all skill levels or just sit back and relax

Camping Near Chicago

My wife and I have stayed at this park several times in the past two years. The lake is the main attraction. The park doesn't offer much in the way of hiking or additional activities other than hanging out by the water or your site.

The swimming portion of the beach is rather narrow, and doesn't offer much in terms of space to lounge. The rest of the shoreline is covered in rocks to prevent erosion.

The sites don't offer much privacy. The camping areas are rather open and exposed. There are few trees dividing the spaces, so the camping experience can feel a bit more communal than most.

If you are biking in, expect a lot of sidelong glances. This is camper territory. No hiker/biker sites. The showers are free, however.

Relaxing, Flexible

My boyfriend and I stayed a few days on the weekend at the campground here 3 different times this past Summer. Each time was just as enjoyable as the last. The staff are super friendly & welcoming & the beach is always a plus for us. However, I only recommend you visit the beach in mid July or later because the water is unbearably cold when Summer is just starting out (if you plan to swim). Loved the different trails & ponds as well!