Colfax, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Colfax Camping Reviews
Quiet place

Stayed overnight here… it was fairly quick of the highway. Easy in and easy out. Did check out the facilities.

Campground with service on a lake

Nice big campground on a lake!! Flat sites and reasonable price.

Needs a little sprucing up

This is a pretty area on the Evergreen Lake with mature trees and open spaces. The area I camped in had large spaces between the sites which was nice, but there was no foliage to provide privacy or sound buffering. I could hear one campers entire angry phone conversation. On the plus side, the stars were amazing.

The pad at site 38 was gravel and uneven with electric only. Good electric though. There was a picnic bench and a fire pit, but the bench had been pulled over the pit which was odd. The dump station was also strangely located. It was down the road from the park. The bathrooms have seen better days and so have the sites I viewed. It’s sad because this park looks like it was a real beauty in it’s prime.

Large RV Park

FHU, shower house, no laundry but there are small towns close by that have stores, gas, and laundry facilities. On Saturday night they offer classic country music free. Special events throughout the summer. Two fishing ponds. No license required. Catch and keep. Nice big areas with playgrounds for kids. Bouchée ball courts.

Inexpensive

Quiet but tight spots. Along the Illinois River. Includes showers and laundry house.

Nice sites, amenities ???

Nice size sites, with plenty of shade. Fishing, hiking, etc. They have a beach with fee access. The shower house could use a fresh coat of paint, bathrooms could use a thorough cleaning. They use to have camp hosts, no longer do.

Great Place To Get Away

My first time was ruff.. just for the fact I brought my two youngins and my two dogs..That was a lil overwhelming but I did enjoyed myself.. definitely looking forward to going back..possibly without the kids or dogs

Quick getaway

Great camp host!  Bathrooms are ok.  This is a small campground and park.  Never had a bad time here!

Burndown ar Sundown ☀️ 🔥 07-13-19

Great time at the races! It was very hot but entertaining ❤️ 🏎 🎶

NHRA

Great time to camp and enjoy races!

A wonderful campground

Enjoy the many beautiful shady spots and a few full hooks. The shower houses are very clean and a really nice big beach.

Great little park

Great camping and great fishing. Scenic little park. Tent and trailer camping here, but the real reward is in the primitive backpacking sites. Highly recommend.

Nice but...

It’s a nice campground but it’s usually insanely busy. Holidays are crazy. I’ve heard people say you can sometimes get a nice, fairly secluded spot but I haven’t had the patience to try. We honestly try to avoid large crowds.

Tight Squeeze!

Stayed here in early June during a trip to Starved Rock, which is a quick 10-15 minute drive. Camp hosts are very nice and the the grounds well maintained. I stayed on site 5 which is a full hookup but best for a small camper. I have a 14 foot travel trailer and it just fit with my SUV in front. The spots are very tight and you have very little room between you and your neighbor. With all the rain this year, many sites flooded during a storm while we camped and they had to be moved to other areas that were not actual sites so it was a bit crazy…hosts did a great job taking care of everyone effected. Campground has a cute dog park and a beautiful stream that runs through it. I would stay here again!!

Camp Ground for Fishermen

Large body of water. Not really clean enough to enjoy swimming. Campsites are a little cramped. We have stayed here a few times with our camping club.

There is a boat club near by. Gibson City has a great drive in movie theater and German Restrurant. Gibson is about 20 minutes from the camp ground.

Only electric hook ups.

Great Week-end Get-a-way

Campsites are the perfect size.
Showers are clean & the water is hot. Trails are well kept & new fishing decks are wonderful.

Nice family place

Nice place no alcohol. 'Lake' has had a lot of algae over the last couple years

Highway haven

Super easy on and off the highway. With that you do get some noise but not too bad.

Office staff is very friendly and efficient. Full hookup sites. Wifi is available. Playground and dogrun for the pets.

The pond is 1/2 mile walk around. Bathrooms we clean.

If you need to get off the road and get some rest give them a try. Just north of town and you will be back on the road in no time.

Very nice campground

It’s a nice Illinois state park. Very quiet. Clean bathrooms, the consecution stand is closed. So can’t rent boat etc. but a nice lake to paddle canoe/kayak . With all the rain we hade the bugs were as to be expected. Will go back .

Locusts!

Ok CG… worst bugs (mosquitoes and locusts) I’ve ever dealt with

Off the path

Has sections of niceness hiking and kayaking

Boating & camping

Large campground that gets booked up most weekends. Clinton Lake is a boating destination as the waters are unusually warm due to the discharge from the nearby nuclear plant. There are several different loops within the campground, some are alcohol free and others have direct access to the lake. The bathrooms are basic vault toilets but kept very clean. We have camped here several times, and found depending on the crowds, it can feel a little like a party spot or can be quiet and calm. The different loops have very different feels…some are very shaded in the trees, some more wide open with a prairie type view. There is a beach and concession stand, group camping areas and lots of roads to bike around. We enjoy the boating/camping combo.

Great for families or just a quiet getaway!

We stayed here last year and will likely stay there again this year when we are back in Illinois. The park has two sides, one side closer to the stage. We haven’t been there when they have shows, so I can’t speak to what that is like. When we were there it was lovely. There is plenty of shade, sites are large enough for our Class A and they are pet friendly.

Great campground!

Really nice campground on Clinton Lake. Has a really nice beach for swimming and picnics. Have about 20 nice full hook up spots and a bunch of electric sites. Our family spent a week there and loved it.

Very clean and family oriented.

My family camped here in a RV for 21 years till my step dad passed away. My friends and I camp here in a tent occasionally. I highly recommend this campground.

Very peaceful camping,fishing, and kayaking

NNice lake for fishing and kayaking. Excellent restaurant on site also

Great stop along the I&M Canal

McKinley Woods offers me a lot of nostalgia since I grew up in the area. In McKinley Woods proper there is a large camping area and two of the sites have concrete pads for ADA accessibility. Further west along the I&M Tow Path is another camp site; that's were my friends and I stayed. Three of us biked in and two hiked. The spot is more secluded than the ones in the park proper, but it still receives a lot of visitors through out the day. A person could kayak in; there is a concrete boat ramp into the Illinois river. The main draw to this place is the tow path. I high recommend bringing a bike to enjoy the trail. The trail is also part of the Grand Illinois Trail network. Fire wood is scarce near the camp site, but we were able to find plenty further up the path.

For my write up on our trip click here.

For my video click here.

Nice State Park

we have come here several major holiday weekends and had no issues with the packed campground. showers we're warm and welcome. Made lots of friends and grandkids had a ball with other kids. campground is clean, flush and pit toilets. Hosts were always helpful.

Smaller campground on Illinois River, IL

Stayed with daughter in tent site right on shore of Illinois River. Has marina adjacent, showers, host, and laundry. Inexpensive tent sites with access for fishing, paddling, wildlife and sunset viewing.

Pluses and minuses

Large lots are nice, out houses need cleaned. Good rates but the kicker is the $20.00 fee per boat/ kayak to get on the lake plus the fee for the swimming area was a bit much for us. Was planning an active weekend but quickly realized we were going to be sitting at our site