Camping in Banning Place

138 Reviews of 27 Banning Place, New Mexico Campgrounds

BThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 14, 2021

duplicate

this campground listing is a duplicate of Lathrop lake state park. That one will take you to the correct website. This entry is incorrect.

PThe Dyrt PRO User

Convenient place - Not great wifi

Overall I enjoyed staying here. The area is quiet and peaceful, there were some tiny trees for shade, they helped tremendously. I camp in my car, so this area was really nice for that, the ground is mostly gravel and not much space between the camp sites, probably not as enjoyable as a tent camper.…

PThe Dyrt PRO User

Convenient place - Not great wifi

Greg R.The Dyrt PRO User

Great for overnight, crowded

We love the place, some people took up a lot of space and blocked areas. Verizon was good 2-3 bars with LTE. Some gnats, had to go up a mile or so, to get a spot...1

• east
  • south
  • southwest
Site15ish
Jordyn M.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 5, 2021

Quick overnight in passing

We really enjoyed the drive along the Enchanted Circle, vert pretty, super scenic. We pulled into Ponderosa Campground around midnight on a Saturday, and there were plenty of spots available, with easy self pay station. Woke up to some beautiful views!

Site12?
Blair S.
Reviewed Jun. 3, 2021

Don’t trust Dyrt directions

I’m sure there is beautiful camping in the area because it’s gorgeous out here, but after having to camp high up on an extremely rocky trail, I learned 2 lessons:

1. Don’t enter at night
  2. Don’t trust directions via Dyrt + Google Maps
J
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Views for days

Great place to camp along the top of the Rio Grande.

Aaron M.
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Very nice campground with full RV hookups

This is a great campground with top notch amenities. We enjoyed the laid back time we spent here looking at Fishers Peak. Nice to be that close to the lake. One thing to keep in mind, from the campsites there isn’t great access to the lake, you’ll need to come in From the East entrance to the park…

MThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 30, 2021

Nice camp area

Close to highway in a canyon. Can be noisy at times. Small river with trout. This is a state park with a camp host.

D
Reviewed May. 30, 2021

Nice facilities

Stayed one night. Staff was friendly, informative and helpful. Enjoyed the camp ground which was well maintained and I will definitely stay again when in the area.

Sitesite 15
WThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 23, 2021

Crowded and cramped

If you're jammed up for a place (Sand Dunes CG fills fast), decent overnight. But nothing else to recommend. A mile up the hill has nice views but is rocky and difficult to find a level spot. Would not return unless I had to.

maria R.
Reviewed May. 22, 2021

Beautiful free spot

Entrance located between mile marker 3 & 4. The road is, I think, actually a really nice dirt road for about the first 1-2 miles in. After that the road turns into bigger rocks, I was definitely not taking my 2wd van up. Beautiful spot, the weekend was busy but it wasn't a problem for me and it…

Jason F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 22, 2021

A friendly place to stop and recharge

The Raton KOA is conveniently located off I-25 in Raton, NM. The campground offers of a mixture of back-in and pull through sites that are a mix of mostly live gravel and dirt. Most sites have 20/30 amp service, water, and septic hookups, although less expensive sites with fewer amenities are also…

• Site H
  • Dog Park
  • Entrance
SiteH
Keith H.
Reviewed May. 16, 2021

High altitude campground

My GPS said 8000 feet. Little shade, close to highway and river. All spots reserve only. Flush toilets, water, and tables.

a
Reviewed May. 15, 2021

Beautiful mountain & lake views

Clean pit toilets available, beautiful view of snow capped mountains and lake. Prairie dogs, deer, and birds abound