Staley Place , MONTANA

Camping Montana Staley Place

Most Recent Staley Place Camping Reviews
Montana FAS by Yellowstone River

This is a free Montana Fishing Access Site next to the Yellowstone River north of Big Timber. There was one clean single vault toilet for about 5 sites. No water or garbage available but each site has a picnic table and fire ring. There is a boat launch for fishing. It snowed when we were there in very late September 2019. We were the only ones there the two days we waited out the snow. This is a campground where there are few public campgrounds.

I added another star as this is a quiet campground in an area with few public ones available. And, it was free.

Lots of wildlife

Great place to camp. Lots of wildlife. Saw a black bear 30 yards from the camp site.

A delightful refuge.

A very nice small town town campground east of Montana’s front range. Several level pull-through RV sites with electricity. Dumpster and water hydrant near by in the campground. Large new community playground adjacent to the RV sites. Sparsely used in October/November. 14 day limit. We look forward to staying here again.

Nice, expensive.... not all sites are created equal.

We rolled in late and were extremely disappointed with our site in the B row. Our picnic table was less than 5 feet from our neighbor's camper and we couldn't have a fire for fear of burning their car. We canceled our 2nd night as soon as the office opened the next morning…..as we walked around, we realized there are good sites- we just didn't have one. We were able to rebook in C row, where we had a lot more room(more expensive). Unfortunately, we realized the sprinkler systems will soak your stuff if you leave it out😡, but it was a good site.

This place isn't cheap, but it does include entrance to the springs, which are pretty nice. Be careful which row you book in and you should be ok. In the end, the cabins look like they are the best deal.

Sunsets for the books

Absolutely gorgeous spot. Lots of privacy, picnic tables and firepits. Our neighbor went out on the water with his boat every day to fish from sun up to sun down. Noise is super minimal and only about ~4 spots were taken while we were there on a weekend.

Great spot

Found this last minute. Wide open space and also spots right next to the Yellowstone River. You can park anywhere where. We parked in the open field with lots of privacy. Has vault toilet. There are some siyrs with stone made camp rings.

Nice spot!

Nice campground! Not much road noise at all, well kept grassy areas for tents, fire pits and picnic tables. The showers and bathrooms are generally well kept. Wish the WiFi worked better, but it’s camping. The passes to the hot springs were a fun perk too. Nice that it has a decent size dog run area. Would recommend!

Wouldn’t reccomend in September

I really hated my time here. I gave 2 stars because the people are nice and the site and facilities are generally well kept. Maybe my problems were largely seasonal, I stayed in mid September. First of all the tent sites are very close to a highway which is busy with big rigs and traffic all night, there is also a train that goes off as it nears. While I was here next door was also construction that had vehicles beeping early in the morning. Sleeping here was rough, I woke up from noise at all hours. The other main issue for me was the bugs. They were on EVERYTHING (pictured), again, maybe a seasonal issue. The tent sites are also under these trees that drop sticky leaves all over the site and leave a sticky residue all over your car and tent. RV camping here is probably much better because it's quieter and not so close to the road. I would recommend, at least in this season, spending a little more and going to the hot springs campground.

Convenient Free Camping

This dispersed campground is perfect for any configuration. It’s important to note that there are only 2 vault toilets and no water available. There are spaces that gather crowds, but depending on your setup you can stay secluded.

Pleasant Overnight Stay

Very pleasant place to spend the night. Manager very helpful in finding the perfect site for TV reception. Spacious gravel site, although needed quite a bit of leveling. Didn’t use any of the facilities, just enjoyed the serene environment, bunnies and doves. Perfect place to spend the night on way from Glacier to Yellowstone. Definitely would stop again.