the dyrt
Prairie View, KANSAS
Most Recent Prairie View Camping Reviews
Can't beat free.

I should have paid more attention to this park. I didn't realize there was a frisbee golf course. Plenty of hiking, biking and horse riding trails. I read later there's pond there to fish in. The place is called a state park but it's actually run by the city of Oberlin, Kansas. We were just driving through and needed a place to stay and found this little gem. We were the only ones in the park. It's free if you aren't using electricity. Otherwise there is an honor box for those using RV electric hook ups. We are van living and didn't need any hook ups. Lots of trees for shade around. There's a shelter house. Wish I took some pics. It was a pretty little spot.

Cute campground

Fantastic state Park with full hookups… Beach, fishing and a delightful small City of prairie dogs to entertain the kids for hours

Bombarded with bugs

So normally I wouldn't be harsh cuz I truly love nature, but we weren't even able to look around or take pictures. We were literally stuck in our camper and only spent the night and than left. When I did have to go out to take my dogs out to the bathroom, the bugs would fly up my nose and were all over me. I joked when I got back inside that this is the next place they should drop off for the show Naked and Afraid. Hopefully it was just a wet period or bad day😱

Most relaxing vacation my husband and I have ever had.

Located on Harlan County Lake. We chose campsite #63, just back from the shoreline. It was an extremely large site with plenty of room to play with our dogs without bothering anyone else. Plenty of places to walk or hike along the shoreline. While the temps were in the 90's and humid out in the sun, our site stayed between 78 and 80 due to the cooling breezes coming from the lake. The campground water supply was pristine. There were plenty of nice outhouses spread throughout the park. The main bathhouse is huge and the showers are great. The boat ramp was very nice. The campground hostess was very nice and comes around to introduce herself in case you have any questions.

Peaceful, except for the ticks!

This campground is beautiful and spacious, and it is fun to watch the deer wander around, but with deer come ticks. We camp in many places and have seldom seen so many ticks in one place.

Always clean ,pretty quiet, even on holiday weekends

The camp areas are pretty flat . People arr frliendly but not intrusive. Fishing can be ok. Usually a nice breeze, but quite hot in high summer.

Simple State Park

There are a number of loops here, we chose one with a lot of trees. There are some without water (fyi) and some that don’t allow RVs.

Yay: Lots of fishing, very short “trail” but nice for just simple relaxing on your road trip.

Nay: pretty much only prairie dogs to see here…

Surprise: crazy storms rolling over the plains! The caretakers were very nice and had recommendations for all kinds of things along our route (including amazing pie).

Nay: pretty much only prairie dogs to see here…

Awesome Walleye and Northern fishing!

Stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights back in 2011. The park is a bit more built up than what I generally like but this was a fishing trip so I didn't mind. There is a volley ball court and playgrounds. There is an ORV trail which was seeing heavy use while we were there. They have laundry and even fish cleaning stations, which lucky for us we needed to use. They have back in and pull through sites for RV's, some with electric and some without. There are tent only sites too. One important thing to mention is you can't have more than one small camper or more than one tent per site. Some places you can get away with this but not here. We also saw some quail and a pair of female deer here.

cute

ran into this cute little guy while here

Ok, not too exciting

Super flat landscape, very short walking trail, main attraction is fishing, less wildlife than I expected. Quite a few campsites to choose from, some with more trees than others. We chose a primitive one. Also some new modern cabins. Ok place to stop over, I wouldn’t return but others seemed happy with it. And yes, you will definitely see prairie dogs :)

Nice Geology spot

I am always looking for a cool spot to see geology (especially in Kansas), the only downside to this place, is it can be difficult to find.