the dyrt
Big Hill Lake, KANSAS
Most Recent Big Hill Lake Camping Reviews
Great Backpacking trail

A group of friends and I hiked the little over 14 mile trail over 2 and a half days it was awesome!

Great Escape

Small campground with the essentials, no frills. For those who like roughing it. Sign says to pay at the local police station- but the police do sometimes swing by and will collect your fee at the campground. I went in Sept-Oct of 2016 & really enjoyed myself. Was a very quiet spot to camp without many campers at the time. Across the river is a small playground in addition to the one at the campground. I am not sure if swimming is safe here, only saw people fishing with waders on.

It’s a place to park

It is a very small place to park close to 69 highway and a public golf course.

Abundance of campsites and lake access

My family and I camped at Elk City state park over memorial weekend. There were primitive and RV sites everywhere and lake access in many places. As expected it was crowded and busy. We found a decent primitive spot, however there wasn't anywhere to park. It wasn't that the spots were taken, the sit was just off the road but there was a deep ditch. We ended up manuevering our van through the trees to get to the site.

A former private lake

What a gem! Amazing swimming beach, modern bath house and great restaurant.

A handful of small campgrounds surround the lake. Almost every spot is on the water.

Only drawback is restrooms are sometimes a short walk away.

It's very Kansan

It's kind of kitschy and weird and in the same vein as the world's largest ball of twine… any my nephew thinks it's the most amazing thing in the world.

Very Nice State Park with great water views

This is a great State Park. Sites are paved with water and electric hook ups. Most are pretty level. Very clean park with nice restrooms and shower facilities. Great water views. The best hiking trails in the State of Kansas are in and around this lake and state park. From this camp ground you can hop on an awesome trail that leads up to the dam over look area. The trail has the lake on one side and rock wall formations on the other. Simply a great hiking area.

Worth the drive

This is a beautiful lake near Independence, Kansas that has plenty to do. There is a very challenging hiking trail that is 11 miles one way so take plenty of fluids & snacks.

Hidden gem!

This is one of our favorite lakes in Kansas we go to! We like setting up camp at both the state park & Corps of Engineers! Lots of shady spots & room. The people at Three Corners Restaurant, Bait Shop, & Store are very nice & sociable. The bait side of the store can give a current fishing report & carry necessary supplies along with a good selection of bait/tackle.

Route 66 camping in Kansas

This is a small municipal campground just outside of town on the banks of Spring River. It is a no frills campground- porta potties that need to be emptied and a big open field with no set campsites. There are a few scattered picnic tables and grills and even few fire rings. But, it’s $5 a night for tents and $10 for RVs, which are separated from each other. There is a boat ramp and some nice fishing spots, but it looks like getting in the water is the preferred method. Across the river there is a local rodeo arena.

Clean Area

Spent an October weekend here and had a great time with the kids fishing, hiking, and roasting marshmallows. The wind blewthe entire time stick read kind of annoying, but if we were in the woods it didn't really bother us. Just need to pick a better campsite next time.

Everything was clean and well maintained. Some of the trails were a little overgrown at times.

Hiking Nearby

Didn't go to far on the trails, but the maps show a number of backcountry sites one can backpack into. Trails were fairly well maintained though a little overgrown at times.

Fun Area

Went Labor Day Weekend. I had called ahead since there were no reservations remaining. Come to find out they reserve a good number of campsites just for walk ups. Good to know when camping at Kansas State Parks

Clear water and breath taking scenery

Aways enjoyable super clear water this place is a premier fishing destination especially for predator fish but great fishing no matter what your looking to hook into the camping is just as enjoyable with nice and open campgrounds that are close to the water the more simple your camping method the more enjoyable this place is for the tent spots are the best spots this place could use a few more trees but it's not a deal breaker because the beauty of this place is out of this world

Great location for easy fishing access

This is a great short or long term RV spot for those that are wanting to have possibilities of great fishing. On the shores of Oologah Lake with a boat ramp. There appear to be many long term campers here; there are not organized places for children to play. However, there are places that any kid could find to play; this park is mainly structured to attract older campers. There are services and goods available within 30 minutes.

This is also a great location for exploring area attractions (Will Rogers birthplace home, Will Rogers Museum, Woolaroc, etc. I would not consider this a kid friendly park and there are not any activities other than lake access and fishing. If you go into looking at it as a fishermen's destination, you will be happy.

Caney Bend in Early Summer

I had a nice, one-night experience at the Caney Bend campground. I did not take advantage of Copan lake, but I noticed there was a boat ramp which would be a great amenity for someone with a boat/kayak/canoe. Saw a great amount of wildlife such as birds, woodland critters and even a lizard. I saw one other camper during my time here. Beautiful, early Summer, Oklahoma weather and gorgeous night sky. I gave this site four stars because even though it was a nice experience it wasn't anything special, in my opinion. However, I would be interested in returning and having a full camping/hiking experience instead of just passing through like last time. Also hopefully my device won't be dead like last time so I can actually take pictures of the area. Give this place a try!

Nice but long

Greak hike, not much scenery. Too long to complete in a day.

Hidden gem

This place is free to camp if you aren't using utilities, even then it's only $10. The lake is not very large, but we found a great spot by the water. Will definitely be coming back!

A+ CG will go again

Great sites, great hiking, kids activities and pet friendly. Clean facilities. A+

Unexpected Beauty in the KS Flint Hills

Came here for a last minute trip for the 4th of July. I found online reservations confusing, but I called the Park Office and they were very helpful. Found a spot easily, which I didn't expect due to the holiday weekend. The park rangers directed us to a quieter spot, right by the lake. Gorgeous. Bathrooms were easily accessible and clean. Electrical outlets were harder to find, but we were at a primitive site so I expected it. I will definitely come here again.

peaceful

great quite place to be with nature

Primitive?

We stayed at little bluestem campground in the Hell Creek area, where we camped in a tent. The lake was beautiful and the weather was nice. we went on a short hike on the dakota trail, which was very well kept. we do not own a boat or mountain bikes so there was not a ton of stuff for us to do. the mountain biking looked really fun. and I bet having a boat would have made it even more fun. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is because it was mainly for RV's. which me and my other half are not all about. There are about 20 different campsites and Little Bluestem is the ONLY primitive one. we arrived and there were two RV's in the two best spots at the PRIMITIVE campground.

Hilly in Kansas

Pretty and simple site. Rolling hills, lots of birding & wildlife, some trails (none difficult). Went mountain biking here. We stayed Manns Cove where sites are most spread out. Everything clean and as we expected.

Good for a night

I camped out at this site during my cross country road trip, and was very impressed by the facilities, but not as impressed by the layout of the sites. I have mentioned before that I do not enjoy being right on top of my neighbors, and Overlook is too close for comfort. Again it is great if you need a pull out spot while on the road!

Lake is Great

Had a good time on the lake fishing and I was able to hike the Elk River hiking trail about 10 miles with my dog. What a blast!

Minooka Campground at Lake Wilson, KS

Except for the fact that the water level at this lake is extremely low, our family and friends enjoy the friendliness of this hideaway. On the federal side of Lake Wilson it has decent shower houses, group camping areas, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We use this area to camp 3-4 times a season and always book early make sure we have several spots during peak times. Down side for the unorganized is that it's a 20 minute drive for supply's as well as 20 minutes to get boat in water due to most boat ramps being closed.