Hays, KANSAS

Most Recent Hays Camping Reviews
Beautiful views with full hookups

Well kept, beautiful views with water/electric/sewer and only 4 pull through spots next to a few cabins so it’s quiet and not crowded. Rangers are helpful and friendly. Water is clean and clear. Great park! Full service marina and store on site with supplies, groceries, fun stuff.

Convenient and cheap

Located behind the activity center, level spots with water and 20/30/50 amp hookups, $15 per night. Can’t beat it and the views are pretty too. Dairy Queen and Grocery Store about a block away.

Now called RV Village on Vine

We arrived here after a grueling day battling the wind in our VW van. The new sign is very pretty but didn’t indicate where the park was. We walked into a chicken place looking for it and were told there was no one there and to call the number on the sign. We did and there was no answer and the person hadn’t set up voicemail so we couldn’t leave a message. We discovered a sign on the restroom with info. $30 a night place money in envelope and drop thru slot. The women’s room had 2 toilets but no stalls. One sink. The shower was very unappealing. The door opens with a code. We were finally able to reach someone who gave us the code. The men’s restroom on, according to my husband, was disgusting. The electric box did not work for a normal plug. I had a converter for a large RV plug that did work. The grassy area is pretty but hazardous with children’s toys and pipes etc. strewn about. We had site #10 which had some shade. The website for this place shows pictures that are false, not reality. For a last ditch stop sure, stay here. Otherwise, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Options For Every Camper

When traveling to Kansas there are 26 state parks to visit.     It might be a bit difficult to decide which you would like to consider for your outing however I would like to encourage you to give Wilson Lake State Park a thought.    There are several reasons which you might find appealing however one of the most impressive I have found is the sheer amount of camping you can find featuring a variety of options.

Wilson's Lake State Park has everything from primitive camping to Cabins and everything in between.   There are sites designed for RVs both small and large offering everything from standard electric to full connections.    With 240 sites on location this can quickly be considered as one of the best camping of this area.

Lake views are accessible from almost every campsite at the Park with up close and personal access in several of the loops.     Prices vary from Primitive to Improved sites  from $13 to $26.

I found that while some of the loops provided more primitive restroom accommodations others had very nice flush toilets and showers.   There is a playground central to the park and several areas which you can launch smaller vessels such as canoes or kayaks and a larger boat ramp.

I checked out the various loops while visiting and found that many of the loops were semi even and provided various levels of shade to help you even on the hottest of days.   When I visited there had been a lot of recent rains which elevated the lake levels and lessened the beach access dramatically however typically there is a very nice beach area near two of the camping loops.

The outdoor space of the park has been a point of focus and the creation of a large bike trail was constructed to allow people to get out and enjoy the surroundings.    Many additionally, hike this path to see a bit more of the nature of the area which include deer, rabbits and foxes.

I really enjoyed my visit to the park.   Upon meeting the camp host I learned that the booking policy for the campground is very flexible and they do encourage you to make sure you try to book in advance during peak traffic season.

TIPS:

• Try to book in advance of 2 months for a cabin.   These spaces are very limited and often from June to September they are booked all weekends.
  • Bring your fishing pole.   There is a great access point for those wanting to fish from the shore before you get to the park entrance and another just after entering.
Most Coveted Campground of the State Park

Wilson’s Lake in Kansas is something of a departure from surrounding areas of Kansas. If you take a moment to pull just a slight distance off the major highways and toward the Wilson’s Lake area you will be pleasantly surprised as the world begins to roll and open up into vibrant hillsides winding their way though the area.

I honestly stopped myself for a moment and checked the map thinking to myself in such a cliche way,“ We are not in Kansas anymore.”

But just as the map proved, I was in fact still in the same state, I noticed more and more signs for Wilson’s Lake State Park and found it was a must see while visiting the area.

The road winds you down to the park and down to what seems like a dead end just at the Yarrow Campground. This campground is one of the most coveted in the park because of its location, its convenience and its size.

When visiting Wilson Lake you might want to consider this loop for improved camping.   When I visited I noticed that the roadways in and out of the campsite were well structured to provide ample movement for larger units with back up capabilities.   While this loop also offers tent camping, it really is designed for the small to mid-size RVs.

Each campsite was equipped with a picnic table and fire ring, although I must say that some of the tables in this area were lacking a bit and needed some updating.    The sites also included water and electric hook ups with reasonable spacing between sites.   Pull- in/ back-in sites were graveled and semi level while the area between the spaces were grassy and lush.    During summer months this would be a perfect retreat for families looking to have a little fun together but still have convenience.

What I liked most about this particular site was the proximity it had to the swimming beach and also the restrooms.   Within 100 yards of one another you could access flushing toilets and showers or fun in the sun.     This was the best overall campground for accessing both of these amenities and therefore I believe would bring about the most fun for the family overall.   Additionally, a playground was located nearby.

I would definitely recommend arriving early if visiting on a weekend or making reservations online to ensure a site at this campground in particular.   The most popular of this lake region, Yarrow, stays booked well into the later portion of summer on weekends and is hit or miss on weekdays.

TIPS:

* Check out the rental shop just outside of the park where you can find anything from a paddle board to a canoe.   Also this is a great place to check in if you are needing a few last minute supplies.

* Make sure to check out park rules at the kiosk before entering, this can be very valuable information especially when crowds are flocking to the area.

Small First Come First Serve Peninsula Camping

One of the smaller camps around the park this only has 6 slots available but the views are available on 3 sides of this peninsula style campground.     Available on a first come first serve basis there are no frills with camping at this location as it is primitive only style camping.

Small RVs or Vans could use this campsite however it really is designed with the tent camper in mind as it has great grassy areas which are semi flat.

Each campsite is equipped with the basics a grill ring and picnic table and there is some shade in the area scattered throughout.    Access to playground and restrooms is very close by so this could easily be a great location for families looking to spend some time at the lake.

The shore line alongside 2 of the 3 sides of this area are rocky and ideal for fishing while there is also a sandy beach which is directly alongside the camp.  When I visited recent rains had forced the lake levels to be very high and this made a portion of the beach submerge below the waters edge but this is not typical.

Prices here are very reasonable at only $13 a night but they do quickly fill during peak season due to the lakes popularity.

TIPS:

• Rent a watercraft from local retailer.   Information on all those which have units is available online or on the kiosk just inside camp.   There are a variety of options ranging from paddle boards to small fishing boats.
  • Take the bike path trail which loops through the park.   This is a great way to have a little fun outdoors away from the lake activities.  The course is pretty well known in Kansas.
Well Maintained Campground Amidst Rolling Kansas Hills

I took a detour off the flat highway land in search of the town of Lucas where I had heard great things about their art installations. As I drove along the land began to open up to large rolling hills and beautiful landscaping with a turnoff just off the main road marked by some very interesting stones and a pavilion. I took a moment to pull off and noticed a kiosk which told the history of the area and some very impressive information about Lucas Park.

I was impressed by the information and one of the signs detailing the trails which led from just outside of the campground all the way to a very special cliffside which is renowned in the state of Kansas. So naturally I had to go check it out!!

Pulling into camp it had rained recently and some of the gravel roads were a bit slick for my small car, but I did notice they had some road work signs where they are working to improve these areas. The rest of the property was well developed and had great improvements including full service restrooms which were placed throughout camp and nice playground equipment for the kiddos.

The campground is divided into two separate areas. Each with their own unique appeal. I personally liked the campground closest to the pay station as it seemed to have better overall access to amenities such as community water. There was a good mix of campsites at this location with pull through and back in options with sites ranging vastly in overall spacing.

As a tent camper, I typically look for shaded areas which provide a little shelter from the elements and they did have several of these in this campground. Water access to the lake was also very close by although I didn’t see a swimming beach at the time of my visit. This could have been in part due to the rains and the lake levels or it could be that there indeed was not one in this area.

I had decent cell signal at this campground on AT&T.

TIPS:

• On weekends make sure to book in advance, the lake is one of the biggest draws of the area.
  • Drive into town and check out the“US Largest Toilet Bowl” art installation,“Garden of Eden” and the downtown district where you can find a few unique pieces. Don’t forget to stop off and try some of the famous Lucas bologna.
  • Check out the trail on the property to the rocks!
Nice lake activities

Site was very sparse, no shade unless you brought it with you. Cabins right next to our site. Bathroom wasn’t close- quite a hike away. We drove due to handicap member. Shower house was even further away in the opposite direction, which meant another drive. Both facilities were not only extremely dirty but terribly kept. Rusty and no bench or hooks to place your clothes on while showering. If you are going to be engaged in water activities you will have a good time though.

Nice stop over site

Cute little creek with a dock. Has a bathroom / shower but wasn’t nice or very clean. We just stayed the night, but we enjoyed the creek and the huge trees. Wouldn’t stay for longer then a day.

Family fun!

Well maintained sites. Amazing swimming area. Helpful staff if boating you must go by the bluffs!